SEARCH MY WASHINGTON COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA WEBSITES
Freefind may restrict total results from all 7 sites.
OTHER FAMILIES (o_f) of McDonald PA
and surrounding areas
Washington County PA
Are these folks your family?
The newspaper articles presented here
give glimpses into the lives of men, women, and families during lifetimes spent
in the areas in and near McDonald, PA. We hope you find useful items that
add to your family tree.
Churches and Worship in McDonald PA
and Surrounding areas
The French Mission of McDonald PA 25th Anniversary
McDonald PA Record, Feb. 10, 1905, page unknown:
After Twenty-five Years
French Congregation Owns Its Own Building After a Quarter Century’s
With appropriate ceremonies and heartfelt rejoicing on the part of
pastor and people French Mission of McDonald will dedicate its
comfortable and handsome little church building on North McDonald street
The history of the mission dates back over a period of twenty-five
years—nearly the entire length of Dr. IRON’s pastorate, to whose
fostering care the mission owes so much.
It was in October 1879, that Jules CHARLIER, Sr., and Ferdinand MARLIER,
both deceased, and Gregory TOURNAY and P. J. CHARLIER, who still reside
in McDonald, together with two or three other heads of families that
have long since moved elsewhere first began to hold divine worship in
their own tongue. They attended the services of the First U. P. church,
the only church in the village of McDonald, on Sabbath mornings and in
the afternoons gathered at the various homes and held such services, as
they had been accustomed to in Belgium and France as members of the
Evangelical Missionary Church. The meetings were usually led by Mr.
Jules CHARLIER, Sr. Rev. W. D. IRONS, although not familiar with the
language, frequently attended and encouraged the work. As yet no formal
organization was had but in 1887 when Julian MASQUELIER, Sr., Martin
SUPLIT, J. B. NIMAL, Leopold DELCORD, Joseph MASQUELIER, Sr., and Pierre
DELIANT (deceased) and their families came to this country an
organization was effected. Divine services and Sabbath school sessions
were held in the old U. P. church and also in the old public school
house. The late Joseph MASQUELIER, Sr., uncle of the MASQUELIER brothers
who are now so active in the work of the mission, assisted Mr. CHARLIER
in the preaching and teaching. In May 1897, Mr. CLAVIR together with his
stepsons, Emil, Omer and Leopold (deceased) MANANDISE and his son-in-law
Pierre MORTELETTE moved here from Brazil, Ind., and Mr. CLAVIR being a
zealous and gifted man, became the spiritual leader of the faithful
little flock and quite a little progress was made in his time. He was a
keen student of Holy Writ and an eloquent and forcible speaker. He still
lives, his home being in Charleroi.
Dr. IRONS encouraged the work in many ways and the mission grew so that
during the winter of 1896-97 the need of a pastor was urgently felt and
Rev. E. S. LHEUREUX was called as assistant pastor of the First United
Presbyterian church for the purpose of taking charge of the Mission.
Much good was accomplished during this the first pastorate. Quite an
addition to the membership followed and the people were led to a higher
conception of their privileges in the divine life. Rev. Mr. LHEUREUX
resigned in April of 1903 to go as a missionary to the Island of Puerto
Rico. In June of the same year Rev. H. GARROU accepted a call to fill
the vacancy. His work here has been markedly successful. A membership of
about ninety with an average attendance of 125 at each services peaks
well of the interest aroused. Two Elders, Elie MASQUELIER and Victor
MARLIER assist Rev. GARROU.
From the McDonald PA Outlook, May 27, 1920, page unknown:
Julian MASQUELIER died at his home in Valley Street
Sunday evening May 23 at 7 o'clock. He was aged 57 years. Mr.
MASQUELIER was on of McDonald's business men, having conducted a store
on Valley Street for
the past 25 years. He came to McDonald from Belgium with his
April, 1887 and on June 7, 1887 was married to Miss Maria DEHOUX, Dr. W.
D. IRONS performing the ceremony. Mr. MASQUELIER was active in
church work uniting with the First U. P. church shortly after coming to
this country, and when the French Mission was started Mr. MASQUELIER was
one of the
workers init, being an elder and a teacher in the Sunday School. For
years he led the choir being succeeded by his son, Harry. He was a
quiet unassuming man and had done much in the interest of his people.
Mr. MASQUELIER is survived by his wife and the following children,
Mrs. GRILL who is located in Canada; Mrs. P. J. CHARLIER of McDonald;
Mrs. A. SAPPIE of Pittsburgh; Isabelle Rebecca at home; Harry A.,
Octave, Julien and Merle, all of McDonald. Four brothers and one
sister also survive as follows, Zacharie, John Baptiste, Jules, and Mrs.
F. DESCUTNER of Steubenville.
See also the business section
for MASQUELIER Brothers
* See Town-Talk
section for a more information on the history of McDonald Pa.*
MCDONALD PA LINKS
Index to McDonald
PA Folder 1 | Business-Industry | Advertisements
| Location - Scenes |
Drawings | Major
Life Events | Military
| News and Glances
- Politics | Reunions
| Schools | Sports
to McDonald PA Folder 1 | Index to McDonald
PA Folder 2 a Collection of 3,000 marriage licenses / wedding notices | Divorce
McDonald PA Guestbook1