SEARCH MY WASHINGTON COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA WEBSITES
Freefind may restrict total results from all 7 sites.
OTHER FAMILIES (o_f) of McDonald PA
and surrounding areas
Washington County PA
Are these folks your family?
The newspaper articles presented here
give glimpses into the lives of men, women, and families during lifetimes spent
in the areas in and near McDonald, PA. We hope you find useful items that
add to your family tree.
Churches and Worship in McDonald PA
and Surrounding areas
St. Alphonsus Church Dedication 1893
McDonald Outlook, May 13, 1893, page unknown:
St. Alphonsus Church
Its Dedication To-Morrow—Something of the History of the Church and
Feb. 2, 1892, the Rt. Rev. R. PHELAN, Bishop of the Diocese of
Pittsburg, after hearing the necessity for a church explained to him by
the committee sent for that purpose, approved of the claim and granted
the power to erect at once a church. Architect J. N. CAMPBELL, of
Crafton, after some delay, submitted designs for the edifice which were
approved of. The difficulties of undertaking a $13,000 church, without a
cent to begin with, are known only to the committee themselves. How we
have succeeded is for the public to say.
The site selected is the best in the town, overlooking the whole borough
and the valley for miles. The cornerstone was laid July 31st, 1892—a
day long to be remembered—about 5,000 people being in attendance. The
dimensions ar 86-46, two story—height of ceiling 32 feet. The design
is Gothic. The vestments, from a leading New York firm, are fine works
of art—white, red, black, purple and green. The cope is moiré antique
embroidered in gold. No expense was spared to have everything the
finest. The same firm furnished the Ostensorium, Cibarium, Chalice,
Censor, Candlesticks, crucifixes and all other alter trimmings.
The statuary imported from Munich, Europe. One over the main alter is
the Sacred Heart of Jesus, another is St. Alphonsus; and on the side
alters, St. Joseph, The Blessed Virgin and the Infant Jesus. The
Stations of the cross were also imported. They are of stone in high
relief ad decorated in gold. The background is landscape. The cost of
the Stations, duty free, was $218—would have cost, if bought here,
$416. The originals of these models were exposed in Paris salons, and
are acknowledged by connoisseurs the most beautiful works of art of the
kind ever executed, and they are masterpieces.
One of the chief attractions of the church are the windows. They are
admired by everybody day after day. The praise of visitors is without
stint. Even those who see them every day can never grow tired of them.
The superior art displayed in execution, the chaste colors, and the
originality of the designs of all the windows make them new every time
one looks at them. The windows were donated by the following persons:
the BUCHHEIT family; A. J. MCDONALD children, Mr. and Mrs. M. O’GRADY,
the Misses MALONEY, J. P. GILMORE and wife, Building Committee, Sunday
School children, Mr. and Mrs. WRIGHT, A. O. H. of McDonald, Jas.
LAUGHLIN, Minnie REND NEWTON, Mr. and Mrs. J. F. O’ROURKE, Mr. and
Mrs. John CARROLL, Mr. and Mrs. P. H. MCCABE, HOEY family, James MORGAN,
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. RODGERS, Mr. and Mrs. M. HAYES, Miss Julia HAYES,
Charles HAYES, Jacob DANIEL family, Michael MONAHAN family. Total cost
of glass was $945. The Rose window in front cost $300.
The main alter was built at St. Joseph’s Home, Columbus, O. It is
Gothic in style and in keeping with the other designs of the church, and
skilled workmanship in every detail. The side alters are not so costly
but they conform to the surrounds and were designed and made by W.
WRIGHT, of … were manufactured by the … Furniture Company, of …
and are of ash, circular in … and with kneeling attachment, they cost
Following is the musical program of Sunday, which will be rendered by
the Cathedral Choir of Pittsburg, consisting of—sopranos, Miss Grace
MILLER, Mrs. Wm. MELLON, Miss Maggie SHATTUCK; altos, Miss Agnes
MCCORMICH, Miss A. CARTER; tenors, Fred. ROBERTSHAW, Chas. MCNALLY, M.
MCCORMICK; bassos, Thos, HEYL, T. J. FITZPATRICK, Chas. CORCORAN;
organist Miss Alice CARTER. Morning service, 10 o’clock; Mozart’s
Mass No. 12; Offertory, Ave Verum, Kreutzer. Evening service; Vespers,
MILLARD; Ave Maria, OWENS; O Saintaris, VERDI; Tantum Ergo, LAMBILLOTT.
* See Town-Talk
section for a more information on the history of McDonald Pa.*
MCDONALD PA LINKS
Index to McDonald
PA Folder 1 | Business-Industry | Advertisements
| Location - Scenes |
Drawings | Major
Life Events | Military
| News and Glances
- Politics | Reunions
| Schools | Sports
to McDonald PA Folder 1 | Index to McDonald
PA Folder 2 a Collection of 3,000 marriage licenses / wedding notices | Divorce
McDonald PA Guestbook1