Loxbeare, Devon - Genealogy and Family History

UK Genealogy Website

Footprints...a step back in time!

Go to Home Page
Home

 
Send E-mail
E-mail

 


Loxbeare

St. Michael and All Angels

Baptisms Marriages Banns Burials
 

Other pages for Loxbeare:



Historical Overview

Loxbeare is a very small Devon village and parish, that lies approximately 4 miles north-west of its nearest market town of Tiverton.  Settlement of the parish pre-dates 1086, as Loxbeare was mentioned in the Domesday Book as Lochesbere and the name is believed to have derived from a "wood or grove of a man named Locc".  

Loxbeare Manor was anciently held by the TROBRIDGE, RICHARDS and CUDMORE families (White, 1850).  He tells that in 1850 nearly all the land in the parish was owned by Sir. T. D. ACLAND, Lord of the Manor at that time.  He actually lived about 12 miles away at Killerton House, just outside of Broadclyst.

St. Michael and All Angels Church

Loxbeare's parish church is called St. Michael and All Angels and is believed to date from the Norman period too.  It still retains some of its orginal features, including its Norman doorway and tower.

Kelly (1893) gives the following description of Loxbeare church:

"The church (dedication unknown), which stands 635 feet above the sea level, is a plain but ancient edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consisting of chancel, nave and a massive western tower of Norman date, containing 3 ancient bells, dating from the time of Henry VI... the church has a Norman doorway and a few mural monuments..." (p. 317)

With MAUNDER ancestors from this parish I hope to visit Loxbeare eventually and take some pictures of the village.

Parish Life

In 1893, Loxbeare had a very small church of England school to accommodate 25 boys and girls, although average attendance there, was only around 16 pupils.  The school mistress at the time was Mrs Agnes STEWARD. (Kelly, 1893)

Loxbeare only appears to have had one public house, the Royal Oak.  Below are the publican's listed in White (1850) and Kelly (1893) Directories of Devon.

Name White (1850) Kelly (1893)
Royal Oak William MAUNDER (victualler) William MANLEY (machinist - Gibbet Moor)

Like many other Devon parishes, farming was a predominant occupation in the parish.  White (1850) lists seven farmers in the parish.   Kelly's (1893) tells us that the chief crops grown in the parish were wheat and barley and that some of the land was in pasture.


Sources

Books - click for sources.

Historic Populations

Year 1801 1851 1901 1931 1961 1971 1981 1991 2001
Population 202 224 169 159 162 158 153 171 179

Source: 1801-1991 Census ©Crown Copyright
Source: 2001 Registrar General Population Estimates

Data originally from Devon Facts and Figures part of the Devon County Council website. [no longer available]


Map of the Area


Links

Back to Devon Parishes Index
 

Some graphics from the mousepad...
JOD's Genealogy Graphics

Home • Devon Index • FamilyPages • Louisa's Album • Forum • Links • DevonGenWeb
wheelbarrowflower pots Sign Guestbook • View Guestbook
Page Updated ~ 10 April 2013
©2002 - 2013, Footprints... Disclaimer
Hosted by Sue Davey ~ BSc (Hons)