Extract from White's Leicester and Rutland Directory 1877
HOSE, a parish and village, pleasantly situated in the Vale of Belvoir, on the banks of a rivulet, half a mile S. of the Grantham Canal, and 7 miles N. of Melton Mowbray, in Framland Hundred, Melton Mowbray., Union and County Court District, in 1871 contained 403 persons, living in 94 houses, on 2140 acres of land. The parish, which has a rateable value of £3332 18s. 9d., is intersected by the Canal, on which there is a wharf here, and it is bounded on the north by Nottinghamshire. The soil is chiefly a fertile clay, and the surface flat. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor, formerly called Howes or Hoche ; but a great part of the soil belongs to Thomas D. Hall, John and George Crompton, and Samuel Burton, Esqrs., and Miss Elizabeth Linney. In 1473 it was held as part of Segrave manor, and several portions of it were held by Belvoir Priory, Leicester Abbey, and Croxton Abbey. The Church (St. Michael) is an ancient structure consisting of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, containing three bells, and was partly repaired and the bells recast in 1857, at a cost of £93. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7 2s. 6d., and now at £105, being augmented with £200 of Q.A.B. in 1808, and having 45 acres of glebe. The Rev. John Bradshaw, M.A., of Granby, is incumbent, and the Duke of Rutland is patron and also impropriator of the rectorial tithes, which were commuted (as well as the small tithes) for allotments of land at the enclosure in 1792. The BAPTIST CHAPEL built here in 1818, and enlarged in 1841, is licensed for marriages. The NATIONAL SCHOOL, on the south side of the church, built by subscription in 1845, was enlarged in 1875, at a coast of £200, of which £92 was given by the Duke of Rutland, and the rest raised by a rate. There is a house for the teacher attached to the school. The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 20s. out of the Town Close, left by Robert Hickling in 1729, and the interest of £65 left by William Shilcock and other donors, and now vested with William Shilcock, Esq., of Frisby, to whose family there are four monumental tablets in the church. The parish feast is on the Sunday before Michaelmas.
POST via Melton Mowbray; but Harby is the nearest Money Order Office. There is a WALL LETTER BOX, cleared at 4.15 p.m.
Barlow James, farmer and grazier
Huckerby Francis, grazier & parish clk
Shilcock William, farmer and grazier, The Grange
CARRIER-William Stubbs, to Melton, Tuesday, and Nottingham, Wedensday and Saturday
from The Parliamentary Gazetteer
or HOWSE, a parish in Framland hund., union of Melton-Mowbray,
Leicestershire ; 7 miles north of Melton-Mowbray, in the line of the Grantham
canal. Living a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of
Copyright Guy Etchells © 2000-04 All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free personal and non-commercial uses. It is my intention to make all data contained herein freely available for all private, non-profit and non-commercial uses. Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.