PLEASANT HILL BAPTIST CHURCH

                    
Search Engine for the Gazetteer

   Search this site      powered by FreeFind
 
 

                     

PLEASANT HILL BAPTIST CHURCH

1890--1899

 

Pleasant Hill Baptist Church was located in the Dry Fork Community thirteen miles north of Hamilton. Organized in 1878 by Presley O’Keefe, W. J. Hicks, Shelby King, and A. A. Hensley, this church was first called King’s Chapel Baptist Church and later Dry Fork Baptist Church when it was located in the Dry Fork community. Before 1890 Dry Fork Baptist Church became Pleasant Hill Baptist Church. 

Macedonia Baptist Church formed by 1885 changed its name to Pleasant Hill Baptist Church in 1890. Pleasant Hill Baptist Church was admitted to the Hamilton County Baptist Association on 14 August, 1891. The last year Pleasant Hill Baptist Church submitted a letter to Hamilton County Baptist Association was 1898. 

On 12 August, 1899, Pleasant Hill purchased one acre of land at a cost of $100 out of the P. A. Sublet Survey from Mr. and Mrs. Erastus Kimber Ridenhower at Crossroads . The Pleasant Hill Church was moved to the new site (current location) of Olin Baptist Church and changed its name in 1900 to Olin Baptist Church.

Some of the pastors of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church were:

J. H. Vinson, 1891--1893, 1895, 1897

J. B. Vinson, 1894

W. S. Johnson, 1898

Some of the church clerks were:

J. W. Talley, 1891

J. M. Warren, 1892

E. M. Newman, 1893

A. J. Leach, 1894--1898

Messengers to the annual association meeting were:

1892--Henry Preachers

1893--W. Pierson, D. M. Purdue

1894--E. M. Gamble

1895--J. W. Warren, J. F. Rodgers, and E. G. Smith

1896--J. M. Warren, A. J. Leach, H. F. Nance

1897--W. W. Pierson, A. J. Leach

1898--Rev. W. D. Vinson

 

 
Home ] Up ]


People and Places: Gazetteer of Hamilton County, TX
Search this site powered by FreeFind

Copyright © March, 1998
by Elreeta Crain Weathers, B.A., M.Ed.,  
(also Mrs.,  Mom, and Ph. T.)

A Work In Progress