POTTSVILLE SCHOOL, NO. 28,
daughter of William Hugh and Adeline (Lyons) Goggin,
and granddaughter of Edmund T. Goggin, taught the first school, which was a
private school, in Pottsville during the summer of 1876.
school building was on the Hoover ranch. The next school building
was built in 1879 across the creek near the cotton gin in Pottsville.
Jim Fagan taught at Pottsville in 1901. There were nine
grades in Pottsville High School in 1911. In 1916 a two-story brick
school building was erected. Additions to the school facilities occurred
also in 1914 and in 1929 when A. G. Reinert, W. F. Albrecht, E. C.
Sadler, W. B. McPherson, J. C. Smith, W. B. Hurley, and N.
E. Wilkins served on the school board. In 1924-25 W. B. McPherson,
Hugh Isaac Moore, J. W. Northcutt, J. W. Bryan, W. R. Clements, Van
Zschiesche, and Charlie Riley were on the Pottsville School
Board and R. L. Boling, Miss Myrtle Jones, Miss Kate Waggoner, Miss
Agnes Smitherman and Miss Eva Maples were teachers. Another
brick school was added in 1950. In 1936 C. J. Ford was
Superintendent at Pottsville and the teachers were C. G.
Jackson, Mrs. F. B. Whitlock, Mary Jo Slaughter, Grayce Pruett, Mrs. C. J.
Ford, and Edna Harris. Others who taught in the Pottsville
School included: James Elber Sills, and Robert Mark Sills.
Rodney C. Love became principal in 1936.
In 1944 the Pottsville Bobcats
were the Hamilton County basketball champions. Mary Margaret Rea
coached the team which was composed of: Billie Ray Jones, Betty Sue
Register, Frances Zschiesche, Jo Nell Hamilton, Norma
Jean Ball, Tommie McPherson, Dorothy Kemp, Lou Ella
Gromatzky, Bell Lynn Fincher, Ola Jean Rudd, Emma Lou
McPherson, and Mary Elizabeth Lund.
Pauline Etherton McPherson taught at Pottsville in the
The last graduating class of Pottsville High School in
1989 included: Mischelle Bell, Cristhel Brannlund, Raye Ann Bynum, Salvia
Costa, Deborah Craig, Daryl Easterling, and Barbara Rainerl.
School consolidated with Hamilton ISD in the fall of 1989.