Editor's Note


Go to North Carolina


Generally, the land records of North Carolina consist of a few original deeds that were left in the county register's office by the grantee, some records created through disputes and divisions, and the entry books. Although the complete series of deed books remain in the office of the county register of deeds, the North Carolina Archives has microfilm copies of the deed books available for use in the research room.

The North Carolina Land Grants are on fiche and can be read at the LDS library in Salt Lake City and they can be purchased from the North Carolina Archives. To my great disappoint - they give very little information. But - I photocopied all the Haddock family land grants when I was in Salt Lake City. I then took the vague land descriptions and matched them to the deeds that were later sold and transferred in Pitt. Most all the older Haddock deeds were followed through the chain to see who owned the land in the beginning. This was a massive job and it took a lot of time. But it was fun and exciting to learn about these people and the land that they had once owned.

If you want to contact the North Carolina Archives - the link address at the archives is to follow: http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/

I've posted a few of the Haddock deeds in complete form on this page. Just click on the link to go there. The Haddock Research Project contains many of these that are listed above in the given index files. They along with some of the early grants were printed in the book - Haddock Heritage. 

The Pitt County, NC, index file of real estate conveyances, has 27 pages of names for the grantees and grantors that were given names for the Haddock family. Nine pages are for the grantees and the balance is for the grantors. The given list is the nine pages of grantees.

Judy Swan copied these then I transcribed them from the index listing. Some of the names were difficult to read and in a few of the entries were vague or blurred. When typing these, I tried to be very careful with the names, but Im not responsible for error or emission of record.

When requesting deeds, you might want to ask the clerk to look in other places. For instance -m- might look like -n- or -h- on a faded microfilm copy. Donna Haddock Cooper, 2003  


If you have a deed that you would like to share,

please drop me a note. 


Copyright 2004 by Donna Haddock Cooper
All Rights Reserved