More on George Lincoln Hall:
With the death of George Lincoln Hall, Sunday morning, one of the old
residents of Edwardsville and Madison county passed away. He died at the
home of his brother, W. S. Hall, 520 Brown street, at 10:45 o'clock, where he
has been the past several weeks. His demise was due to a cancer and
followed three surgical operations.
Mr. Hall had been ailing for about five years. The first operation was
performed shortly after the first attack and was for an ailment less serious. A
second was performed for the same causes. Neither revealed any signs of
cancerous growth but the third, performed at Mobile, Ala., several months
ago, showed the true conditions. He returned home after the operation as
soon as he was able to travel.
Mr. Hall was a member of one of the old-time families of this locality. He
was born south of Collinsville, in St. Clair county, on July 7, 1848, and was 66
years, 1 month and 23 days old at the time of death.
When about 4 years old his father, the late Isaac Hall, moved into Madison
county and settled on a farm near Hamel. Deceased attended the district
school and grew to manhood on the farm. On February 18, 1875, he was
married to Miss Mary Robinson, member of another old family, whose death
occurred on June 11, 1895, while a resident of this city.
About the time Mr. Hall accepted a position with the J. I. C. Threshing
Company and the John Deere Binder Company. He had a territory in the
south and introduced the use of a binder in cutting rice in Texas, which
afterwards proved a big labor saver.
Afterwards Mr. Hall returned here to reside and for several years was
employed as entry clerk, during the administration of the late recorder of
deeds, Robert Hagnauer. On account of his physical condition he was
unable to do much work the past several years.
Politically Mr. Hall was a Democrat. Socially he was a member of
Edwardsville Lodge of Odd Fellows and Tuscaloosa Lodge of Masons.
Two brothers, W. H. Hall and W. S. Hall, both well known residents of
Edwardsville, and two children, Miss Jennie Hall and Edwin Hall, survive.
The funeral is in progress this afternoon. Services were conducted at the
residence of W. S. Hall at 2 o'clock, by Rev. R. Robertson, pastor of St.
John's Methodist Episcopal Church. After the religious services the Odd
Fellows took charge and performed their ceremonies at the grave in
Woodlawn cemetery. The pall bearers were three members of the Odd
Fellows' Lodge and three are intimate friends of the family, E. F. Koch, H. A.
Dierkes and A. Stubbs, of the Odd Fellows, and Samuel Reid, W. L. Geers
and R. F. Tunnell.
This obituary was found in a scrapbook in the library
of the Madison County Historical Society's Museum