Harrisons of Newark, New Jersey

p. 137 JUNE 1981


The Founders And Builders Of The Oranges
The Harrison Family

RICHARD HARRISON, the ancestor of the Newark family of this name, came from Cheshire, England, and was one of the original settlers of the New Haven Colony, also one of the proprietors of the Totoket plantation, subsequently named Branford, where he died October 25, 1653. His children were: Richard, Samuel, Mary (or Maria), married, November 27, 1662, Thomas Pierson, Sr. (brother of Rev. Abraham), and Elizabeth.

The Newark Settler.

SERGEANT RICHARD HARRISON, eldest son of Richard Harrison (1), was born, probably in England. He was one of the committee sent to Newark "to order and settle the concernments and people of the place till another committee be chosen and settled." He was one of the Branford signers of the Fundamental Agreement. In 1668, as appears by the Newark Records, "the Town hath bargained with Deacon Ward, Serg't Richard Harrison and Serg't Edward Rigs for the sum of seventeen Pounds, to build the same Meeting House according to the Dementions agreed upon, &c." On August 24, 1670, "the Town made a full agreement with Mr. Robert Treat and Serg't Rich'd Harrison about the Building and Maintaining of a sufficient Corn Mill, to be set upon the Little Brook called the Mill Brook." Sergeant Richard Harrison was nominated for Ensign, August 30, 1673. He was elected one of the Town's Men, March 19, 1674. On April 17, 1676, he was chosen one of a "Committee to lay out the Highway and the Landing Place by the River." At a Town Meeting, May 16, 1683, "Whereas, there was a Covenant made with Mr. Robert Treat and Serg't Richard Harrison to make and maintain a sufficient Corn Mill, upon such conditions as is in a Covenant exprest, made between them, the said Treat and Richard Harrison, and the Town, recorded in the Town Book, fol. 29. Be it known that I, Richard Harrison, having bought Mr. Treat's part of the Mill, and am obliged, according to the Covenant and conditions thereof af's'd, have formerly and do now again, make over all my Right to the Mill unto my sons Samuel, Joseph and George Harrison, they being become obliged unto the Town, in all particulars mentioned in the said Covenant, to observe and keep the same in all respects as fully as I, the said Richard Harrison, was obliged to. And the said Samuel, Joseph and George Harrison have and do declare in the Town Meeting, their acceptance of the Mill upon the same Conditions as is in the said Covenant exprest." The children of Sergeant Richard Harrison were: Samuel, Joseph, born 1649; John, Benjamin, born 1655; George, born 1658; Daniel, born 1661; Mary, born 1664, married Samuel Pierson, Jr.


Line of Sergeant Richard, of Newark.

SAMUEL HARRISON, eldest son of Sergeant Richard, came to Newark with his father. He drew his home Lott, No. 2, in May 1673, and had evidently just reached his majority. In august of that year he was nominated for Ensign. On March 22, 1683, Samuel Harrison, Azariah Crane, Joseph Riggs and Edward Ball "are chosen to lay out the Bounds between us and Hockquecanung and to make no other Agreement with them of any other Bounds than what was formerly." Samuel Harrison (1), married Mary Ward, daughter of Sergeant John Ward. Their children were: Mary, Samuel (2), John, Sarah, Susanna and Eleanor.



p. 138 JUNE 1981

Home Lots of First Settlers of Newark, NJ

Neworke Or Pesayak Towne 1666-1680


Copied from map by S. H. Congar (Newark 1860) but plot identification changed to numerical system, from alphabetical. Original map had no street names, we have added these, showing (2) where there have been changes. Same area today (1955) has hundreds of added streets.

SCALE: None on original map. The approximate distance today of "SOUTH SIDE of MARKET BETWEEN BROAD & MULBERRY IS ABOUT 725 FEET." This original block about what it was in 1666-1680.


Capt. Robert Treat


Zachariah Burwell


The Boatman's Lot


Abraham Pierson Sr.


Ephraim Burwell


Robert Lymon


Robert Denison


Thomas Ludington


John Davis


Thomas Johnson


John Brooks


The Miller's Lot


George Day


Thomas Lyon


Samuel Dod


Nathaniel Wheeler


Joseph Johnson


Daniel Dod


Joseph Riggs


John Treat


The Corn Mill


William Camp


John Gregory


Lt. Samuel Swaine


Martin Tichenor


Henry Lyon


Sgt Richard Harrison


Stephen Freeman


Joseph Walters


Edward Ball


John Curtis


Samuel Camfield


John Morris


John Baldwin Sr.


Robert Dalglish


John Ward Sr.


Thomas Staples


Francis Linsley


Matthew Camfield


John Baldwin Jr.


Matthew Williams


Abraham Pierson Jr.


Dea Michael Tomkins


Walter's 2nd Division


Jasper Crane


Johnathan Tomkins


Dea. Laurance Ward


Thomas Pierson Sr.


Ephraim Pennington


John Catlin


Benjamin Baldwin


Seth Tomkins


Samuel Kitchell


Thomas Huntington


The Tailor's Lot


Josiah Ward


Alexander Munrow


Thomas Pierson Jr.


John Rogers


The Elder's Lot


Samuel Harrison


Robert Kitchell


John Ward Jr.


John Browne Jr.


Jeremiah Pecke


Dea Richard Laurance


Edward Riggs


Obadiah Bruen


Delivered Crane


Hugh Roberts


The Seaman's Lot


Hans Albers


Meeting House Lot


Thomas Richards


Samuel Rose


Capt. Treat's Extra.


John Harrison


The Training Ground


__nn Johnson


Aaron Blatchly


The Market Place


Parsonage Home Lot


Stephen Davis


The Landing Spot


John Browne Sr.


Samuel Plum


The Watering Place


Stephen Bond


John Crane


The Burial Ground






Tichenor's Gate

Today In "1955"

The present "Old First" Church stands on southerly portion of Lot #1, opp. original site.

Newark City Hall, part of Lots # 3-4.

Essex County Court House in rear of "D" to High Street.

Settlers' Memorial built in 1916 at "C".

First River, between Lots 62+63, and other streams, built over, dried up or piped.

Trinity (Episc.) Church built in 1743, 1st bldg. Stands northerly end of "A" on plot set off from old training ground.


"A", "B", and two triangles at junctions of S. Broad St. Clinton Ave. & Spruce Sts now city parks.

Old Burial Ground "E" removed at start of 20th Century. Second cemetery, center of lot #1 still there.

The common fence maintained by planters for protection of "the neck".

Lot #28 later parsonage for Rev. Aaron Burr, Rev. Dr. Macwhorter died there.

The brook in back of Lots 10-18, bordering town swamp, did not run into river, this was Engraver's error.


Material for this map, and article, loaned to writer by Historical Committee of "Old First Church."
H. A. Sonn.

p. 139 JUNE 1981


The Founders And Builders Of The Oranges - Cont.


Signature of Samuel Harrison(2), son of Samuel (1) and Mary (Ward) Harrison, was born in Newark, in 1684. He settled at the Mountain in what is now Orange, in 1723. The old homestead, erected by him, is still in a good state of preservation. It is situated on Wigwam Brook, about two hundred yards west of Day Street, on Washington Street, and a little east of the new school house. It is partly concealed by a new building in front. The old well, with the well sweep, is between the two houses. On the corner stone of the foundation underneath the front of the house is the following inscription: "S.H., 1723."Samuel Harrison homesteadA few feet east of the homestead stood the old saw mill and beyond this the fulling mill. This was a part of the farm owned by Samuel (1), his father. In his will, dated January 7, 1712-13, he gives to his son Samuel "fifty acres bounded on the north by lands of Anthony Olive, on the south by lands of widow Abigail Ward, on the east by the highway and the west by the Mountain." The first reference to the mill of Samuel (2) is found in his account book, the charge being: "1729, June 16, to sawing for scool house, 00.5.6." He exercised the quadruple functions of magistrate, farmer, fuller and sawyer. He was withal a loyal rent-payer as appears from a petition addressed to Gov. Belcher in 1749, and signed by Nathaniel Wheeler, Jonathan Pierson, John Condit and others, asserting their loyalty and vindication themselves against an implied connection with recent disturbances and riots. Samuel Harrison's saw mill was the only one in this locality for some years and he probably did the sawing for most of the houses built here. The entries in his day-book show that in July, 1748, he was sawing "oke plank, gice, slepers" and other material, and also receiving sundry sums of money "on account of the parsonage." Samuel Harrison married Jemima Williams (born 1686), daughter of Matthew Williams. Their children were: Amos, born 1712; Jemima, born 1714, married John Dod; Mary, born 1716, married ________ Ward; Samuel (3), born 1718; Adonijah, born 1721; Ruth, born 1723; Matthew, born 1726; Eleanor, born 1729.


Line of Amos, eldest child of Samuel (2), son of Samuel (1).

Signature of Amos Harrisoneldest child of Samuel (2) and Jemima (Williams) Harrison, was born at the homestead, on Washington Street, within the present boundaries of Orange, in 1712. His name appears on the list of Essex County Militia, who served in the War of the Revolution. He purchased from the executors of Caleb Crane a large tract of land on the south side of the Northfield Road, extending to the summit of the mountain, a portion of which is still owned by his descendants. He married Hannah Johnson and had issue, Reuben; Isaac; Simeon, born 1741; Eleanor; Martha; Jemima; Ruth, married John Munn.


Simeon Harrison, third child of Amos and Hannah (Johnson) Harrison, was born at the homestead of his father, on the Northfield Road, in 1741. He married Hannah, daughter of Caleb Crane (son of Azariah (3), of Azariah (2), of Deacon Azariah -- who married the daughter of Gov. Treat, son of Jasper Crane, the ancestor). Their children were: Caleb, born 1770, Phebe, born 1774, married Noah Matthews; John; Hannah; Sarah, born 1783, married Joseph Matthews.

p. 140 JUNE 1981

The Founders And Builders Of The Oranges - Cont.


CALEB HARRISON, ELDEST CHILD OF Simeon and Hannah (Crane) Harrison, was born at the homestead on Northfield Road, in 1770, died 1854. He built, in 1808, the present brick house which stands near the entrance of the Northfield Road. He married Ketmah, daughter of Isaac Crane, and had children, Simeon, born 1792, died 1799; Mary; Phebe; Margaret, married Joel W. Condit; Simeon, again, born 1804; Hannah, married Rev. William R. Whittingham; Phebe.


SIMEON HARRISON, fifth child of Caleb and Ketmah (Crane) Harrison, was born at the homestead of his father, in what is now West Orange, February, 1804; he died March 20, 1872. He attended the village school and had the advantages of a higher education at the Bloomfield Academy, a noted school in its day. He was a born leader of men, and no man ever lived in this community who exerted a stronger influence. Bold, courageous, honest and upright, he commanded respect, and yet by his kind, genial disposition, he won the confidence of his fellow-men. He was a democrat of the old Jeffersonian school and was known throughout the State as one of the staunchest supporters of his party. He was in public office nearly all his life at a time when the office sought the man, and not the man the office. In the campaign of 1856 he was sent as a delegate by his party to the National Democratic Convention, at Cincinnati, when James Buchanan was nominated for President. At the fall election of 1858 he was elected as a representative of the Second Assembly District to the State Legislature. While faithfully representing his constituents in local matters, he could rise above all party ties when any great principle was at stake and, while loyal to his party, was in no sense a partisan. It was largely through his efforts that the new charter for Orange was obtained in 1860, and he was elected a member of the first Common Council under this charter. After the separation of the Oranges he became a member of the West Orange Township Committee. He was a most exemplary and worthy representative of the Masonic Fraternity, and no worthy distressed brother ever appealed to him in vain. He was seldom absent from the stated communications of Union Lodge, of which he was for forty-six years an honored member, passing through the several chairs, serving as Worshipful Master in 1852-3 and again in 1864. He was an excellent presiding officer and a skillful craftsman. Mr. Harrison's charities were not confined to his Masonic brethren. He recognized the fact that "The poor ye have with you always.", and his well-filled larder could always be relied upon to supply the wants of the needy. He was a man of positive convictions, but not self-assertive. He was well informed on all the topics of the day and ready at all times to meet an opponent in open, fair combat. He was respected alike by friend and foe and admired for his many noble qualities of heart and mind.

Mr. Harrison married Abby Maria, daughter of Stephen Condit. They had one child, Abby Maria, who married Samuel O. Rollinson, a grandson of William Rollinson, one of the first--if not the first--steel engraver in this country. He came to this country just previous to or during the Revolution and it is said that he engraved the buttons on Washington's military coat. He engraved, in 1808, a portrait on steel of Gen. Alexander Hamilton -- one of the best likenesses of Hamilton, it is said, ever made.

p. 141 JUNE 1981

Aaron Burr Harrison








p. 142 JUNE 1981

Ira Harrison





p. 143 JUNE 1981

The Founders And Builders Of The Oranges - Cont.


Samuel O. Rollinson, the grandson, was connected with the Atlantic White Lead Co. for about forty years, part of the time as a partner. After his marriage with Miss Condit in 1869, he came to West Orange and resided at the home of his father-in-law and became interested to a considerable extent in public affairs. He was for a long time a member of the Township Committee of West Orange and was also its chairman. He continued to reside in the old homestead until his death in August, 1891. He left four children. Simeon Harrison, the eldest, born at the homestead in 1870, educated at Princeton and graduated at the New York Law School in 1896 and read law in the office of Blake and Howe. He has already become interested in public affairs of his native town and has served as chairman of the Township Committee of West Orange. Phebe Harrison and Margaret Stymita, the two daughters of Samuel O. Rollinson, reside at the homestead. William, the youngest son, is a student at Princeton.


Line of Matthew, son of Samuel (2), son of Samuel (1).

MATTHEW HARRISON, seventh child of Samuel (2) and Jemima (Williams) Harrison, was born at the homestead in Orange, in 1726. He served with the New Jersey militia in the War of the Revolution. He married Martha Dod and had issue, Abijah; Aaron, born 1753; Amos; Adonijah; Mary.


AARON HARRISON, eldest child of Matthew and Martha (Dod) Harrison, was born at the homestead of his father, on the Swinefield Road, in 1753. He also served with the New Jersey militia in the War of the Revolution. The military spirit continued long after the war and he was elected Major of a battalion of light horse composed of seven compa-nies, every man furnishing his own uniform and equipments, at a cost of one hundred dollars each. It is said that the first farm wagon ever used in this locality was brought here by Major Harrison. He was a man of good judgment and sound common sense, and had the confidence and respect of his neighbors. He was twice married, first to Jemima, third child of Daniel and Ruth (Harrison) Cundict. [Ruth was the daughter of Samuel Harrison (2).] He married, second, Phebe, daughter of Lewis Crane, son of Elihu, son of Jasper (3), son of Jasper (2), son of Jasper (1), one of the original Newark settlers. The wife of Lewis Crane was a cousin of Rev. Aaron Burr. The children of Aaron and Phebe (Crane) Harrison were: Samuel A.; Charles; Matilda; Phebe; Jemima, married Caleb W. Baldwin, Ira, born January 4, 1795; Aaron Burr; Abigail; and Mary.


IRA HARRISON, SON OF Aaron and Phebe (Crane) Harrison, was born at his father's homestead, near that of his grandfather, January 4, 1795, died March 5, 1890. He was one of the most important connecting links between the past and present, and lived to see the great changes that have been wrought in his native town. He lived a useful, honored life and died in the full enjoyment of a bright Christian faith. He was one of the most enterprising farmers in this vicinity and was quick to adopt any improvements. He loved the good old customs, but was not averse to the new. He kept himself well abreast of the times. The old ox team might do for his neighbors, but he preferred a good team of

horses. He was no doubt envied by his neighbors whom he was able to drive around in his own horse and wagon, he being the first to introduce this new method of locomotion in the Oranges. He lived to witness the feats of the iron horse and all the improved methods of travel. It was as a Christian and a gentleman, however, that he wielded the greatest influence. He was long an elder and a bright and shining light in the old First Presbyterian Church. His was no formal, but a thorough practical Christianity. He carried a sanctified purse and gave liberally when and where it was needed, and could always be relied upon to bear his full share of the burdens. He was tender and affectionate as husband and father, and loved, honored and respected by his neighbors. Although well advanced in years, he showed his patriotism and loyalty during the war by attending the public meetings and encouraging enlistments. Mr. Harrison married Mary, daughter of Ichabod Jones, born Dec 27, 1798, son of Joseph (2) born 1737, son of Joseph (1), born 1631, son of John Jones, the ancestor of the Jones family of East Orange. The children of Ira and Mary (Jones) Harrison were: Aaron; Rhoda A.; Samuel; Matilda; John; Phebe C., married Josiah B. Williams; Alfred F., William L.; Mary E., married Capt. Ambrose M. Matthews; and Frederick J.

p. 144 JUNE 1981

The Founders And Builders Of The Oranges - Cont.


ALFRED HARRISON, M.D., son of Ira and Mary (Jones) Harrison, was born at the homestead of his father, in Orange, September 9, 1833. He was prepared for college at Pierson's school, in Elizabeth, and was graduated at Princeton in 1855; pursued his medical studies at the University of Michigan, and the University Medical College of New York, and for twenty-five years was engaged in a successful practice in New York, which he relinquished some years since in consequence of failing health, and returned to Orange, the place of his birth. Mr. Harrison married Sarah Elizabeth Matthews, a sister of Capt. Ambrose Matthews.

AARON BURR HARRISON, seventh child of Aaron and Phebe (Crane) Harrison, was born September 18, 1796, at the homestead of his father, which stood on the present site of the Edison factory, on Valley Road. He was excessively fond of reading and study, and his parents desired to fit him for the ministry, and for his preparatory course he was sent to the Bloomfield Academy, intending to enter Princeton College. He changed his mind, however, preferring the simple farm life which his ancestors had followed. He had never united with any church and could not accept the extreme orthodox theological views required by the religious institutions of that day, and he was not ambitious to enter any other profession. He was associated for a time with his brother-in-law, John Randall, in surveying, and assisted in laying out a number of lots in the upper part of New York City. In his public and private life he was above reproach, and few men--even professing Christians--have ever lived nearer to the golden rule. He inherited a part of the home-stead property and acquired additional acres, owning at one time about one hundred acres in different parts of Orange. His largest holdings extended from near the centre of Llewellyn Park some distance beyond the line of the Watchung branch of the Erie R.R. He cultivated his farm for many years until the rise in values made it no longer profitable. He sold some fifteen or twenty acres in Llewellyn Park to Mr. Haskell, and by degrees parted with much of his other property. Soon after disposing of his property in Llewellyn

Park, he removed to the old Cyrus Jones homestead, on Main Street, East Orange, opposite the Munn Avenue Presbyterian Church, the birthplace of his wife. Here he spent the remainder of his days in peace and happiness, respected by his neighbors and honored by his fellow-citizens.

He was always known as Major Harrison, having early in life received his commission as Major of the Orange Infantry regiment. He possessed all the elements of leadership and his judgment was never questioned. Until the breading out of the Civil War he was a Jackson democrat, but the action of the South in seceding from the Union aroused all the latent patriotism of his nature and he became one of the most ardent supporters of the government, doing all in his power to encourage enlistments and assist those who entered the ranks of the Union army. From the beginning of the war to the close of his life he continued in the ranks of the Republican Party. While never especially active in local or State politics he was a man whose fitness for positions of honor and trust was universally acknowledged, and before the division of the Oranges he served on the township Committee, acted as Township Treasurer, was for many years a member and director of the Board of Chosen Freeholders. In public life he did everything he could to encourage and help along the growth of his native town. He welcomed the business man from the city who came here to seek a home, and was heartily in favor of every improvement desired by the new-comers. He believed in having good roads, well lighted streets and above all, the best educational facilities for the masses that could be provided, and willingly submitted to increased taxation for that purpose. He gave the land for the village school which stood on the site of the present hotel on Valley Road, near Washington Street. In this little village schoolhouse his own children were instructed in the rudimentary branches. In the march of improvement when better facilities were required, the little schoolhouse was removed and is now used as a barn on the premises of Mrs. Dunton, a daughter of Mr. Harrison, who resides with her sister Caroline in the pretty cottage erected by her late husband, situated on Valley road, facing Washington Street.

During the latter years of his life Mr. Harrison was occupied mostly in the care of his real estate. He was for many years a member of the Board of Directors of the Orange National Bank and a regular attendant at its meeting. He was a man of domestic tastes and very fond of his home and children. He married, about 1821, Caroline, daughter of Cyrus Jones, son of Cornelius, of Joseph (2), of Joseph (1), son of John Jones, the ancestor. Their children were: Cyrus Jones married Harriet Simmons; Phebe Jones, married William Dunster, of Morris County, NJ, died September 5, 1885; Lydia Louisa,

p. 145 JUNE 1981

The Founders And Builders Of The Oranges - Cont.

married Dr. C.A. Lindsley, a distinguished physician of New Haven, CT, and Secretary of the Connecticut State Hospital from 1865 to 1877. He is a native of Orange, son of John Lindsley, of Daniel, of Nathaniel, of Ebenezer (2), of Ebenezer (1), of Francis, of the Newark Colony, son of John the Branford ancestor.

Matilda, the third child of Aaron Burr Harrison, married Henry Powles, of East Orange. Their children are: Charles Van Zandt, deceased; Aaron Burr; Caroline; Harriet.

Cyrus Jones Harrison, the eldest, recently purchased a farm in Maryland. His eldest child, Cyrus Melville, resides with him, assisting in the management of the farm. He has had other children vis.: Ida Lydia; Herbert, died young; Josephine' Samuel, deceased.

Charles Van Zandt, the fifth child of Aaron Burr and Caroline (Jones) Harrison, left two children: Aaron Burr and Charles Herbert.

AMOS HARRISON, second child of Matthew and Martha (Dod) Harrison, was born at the homestead in Orange, September 10, 1755. He was a man of more than ordinary ability and held positions of trust and honor in the county. He was commissioned Major of Essex Battalion, June 5, 1793, was Justice of the Peace for a long term of years. He was appointed Judge of the court of Common Pleas in 1813, and held that position until his death. He was made Presidential elector in 1808, casting his vote for James Madison. He was elected elder of the First Presbyterian Church in 1799, continuing for some years. He lived on the Valley Road, in the house now known as "Walnut Cottage". He married, first, Martha Condit, daughter of Col. David Condit. He married, second, Sarah (Munn) Dodd, widow of Matthew Dodd. His children all by his first wife, were: Keturah, born October 31, 1771, died young; Japhia, born September 7, 1776; Keturah, again, born April 16, 1779, died young; Johanna and David, twins, born June 10, 1781; Daniel, born September 10, 1783; Bethuel, born February 8, 1789; Amos, born January 9, 1791; Abiathar, born March 9, 1793; Rhoda, born October 19, 1795.

ABIATHAR HARRISON was born at the homestead of his father, in Orange, March 9, 1793, died January 31, 1867. He was a man of high standing in the community. He served two terms in the State Legislature and held other public positions. He married, first, Phebe Freeman, June 25, 1813; second, Elizabeth, daughter of Caleb Williams, November 28, 1816. His children were: Phebe, born November 25, 1817; Sarah, born December 20, 1819; died December 24, 1878; Susan Elizabeth, born January 29, 1822, married Nathan W. Pierson; Mary Adeline, born May 9, 1825; Harriet Newell, born March 20, 1828; Albert Williams, born January 21, 1831; Amos, born January 20, 1834, died July 27, 1840.

Mary Adeline Harrison, daughter of Abiathar, married Joseph Duryea Harrison, born July 3, 1822, a descendant of Joseph, son of Sergeant Richard Harrison. They had issue: Alexander Lee; Elizabeth A.; Henry Lewis; Harriet Newell; Amy Duryea; Helen Mary.

Albert W. Harrison, son of Abiathar, was born January 21, 1831. He married Angeline Crane, daughter of Ira Crane, a descendant of Jasper through Azariah Crane. Albert W. resides in Fairfax County, VA. His children are: Clara Billings; Margaret Norwood; Mary Curtis and Albert Russell.

Line of Joseph Harrison, son of Sergeant Richard.

JOSEPH HARRISON, second son of Sergeant Richard Harrison and brother of Samuel, was born at Milford, in 1649, and came with his parents to Newark. The Newark Records show that "On June 13, 1679, fifty-nine acres of upland were surveyed to Joseph Harrison." It was bounded "on the north by the lands of Benjamin Harrison (brother of Joseph) and on the northwest by Perroth's Brook." He had one hundred acres fronting on the north side of the highway, now Main Street, from a point two hundred and fifty feet west of Ridge Street to Parrow Brook and bounded on the north by land of Amos Williams. This probably included the land of his brother Benjamin. He married Dorcas Ward, daughter of Sergeant John Ward, and had Richard; Joseph; Stephen, Nathaniel; Elizabeth, married Caleb Baldwin; Phebe, married John Ward; Mary.


p. 146 JUNE 1981

The Founders And Builders Of The Oranges - Cont.

JOSEPH HARRISON (2),second child of Joseph (1) and Dorcas (Ward) Harrison, was born in 1697 and lived in what is now Orange. He married, first, Martha Sargeant and, second, Mary Tompkins, daughter of Micah. His children were: Hannah, born 1714, married Samuel Williams, son of Samuel; Dorcas, born 1725, married Benjamin Lindsley; David, married Sarah Day, second, Phebe Dod; Phebe, married Samuel Pierson; Martha, married Josiah Quinby; Mary, married Judge John Peck; Sarah, born 1836, married David Dod, son of John; Joannah, married Cornelius Jones; Elizabeth, married Jonathan Williams; Richard, born 1743; Jared, born 1745; Joseph, born 1747; Lydia, born 1750, married Zebulon Jones.

NATHANIEL HARRISON, fourth child of Joseph (1) and Dorcas (Ward) Harrison, was born in 1705 and died in 1779. His farm was located in East Orange, on the ridge through which Harrison Street now runs. The name of his wife is not known. His children were: Stephen, Ichabod, Phebe, Dorcas, married Capt. Thomas Williams, Sarah.

Stephen, the eldest son of Nathaniel, married Lydia, daughter of Matthew Williams, and had Abigail, Joseph, Abial, Martha, married Jabez Pierson, Mary, Eunice, Rufus.

Abial, son of Stephen, married Elizabeth Lyon, and had Lydia, Stephen, Sarah, Abby, Hannah, Elizabeth, Eliza, Richard B., born August 9, 1806.

(The Founders and Builders of the Oranges is by Henry Whittmore, 1896)

Previous Page
Part 1
Previous Issue
Next Issue
Harrison Heritage Table of Contents of all issues
Table of

HARRISON HERITAGE (ISSN 0740-9001) was a family genealogical quarterly.
Published in March, June, September and December 1981-1986.
RUTH HARRISON JONES, Editor and Publisher. Reprinted here with permission from the editor.

Many thanks to Melody Deocampo for transcribing this issue.

The Harrison Genealogy Repository http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~harrisonrep

HomeHarrison Home
Last Updated: 21 September 1999
Becky Bonner E-Mail Address: [email protected]