Page 372


CHAMPAIGN COUNTY was formed from Greene and Franklin March 1, 1805, and the temporary seat of justice fixed in Springfield at the house of George FITHIAN; it derived its name from the character of the surface. About half of it is level or slightly undulating, one-quarter rolling, one-fifth rather hilly, and about five per cent prairie. The county is drained by the Mad river, which flows through a beautiful country, and with its tributaries furnishes extensive mill privileges.


Its area is 420 square miles; in 1885 acres cultivated were 164,602; in pasture, 34,213; woodland, 62,669; produced in wheat, 561,614 bushels; corn, 1,978,697; broom brush, 65,050 pounds; wool, 195,008. School census in 1886, 8,439; teachers, 168. It has 78 miles of railroad.



And Census





And Census







Mad River,








































Population in 1820: 8,479; in 1840, 16,720; in 1860, 22,698; in 1880, 27,817; of whom 21,793 were Ohio-born.


URBANA IN 1846.—Urbana, the county-seat, is forty-two miles west-northwest from Columbus. It was laid out in 1805 by Col. Wm. WARD, originally from Greenbriar, Va. He was proprietor of the soil, and gave a large number of the lots to the county, with the provision that their sales should be appropriated for public objects. He also named the place from the word urbanity. The first two settlers were the clerk of the court, Joseph C. VANCE, father of ex-Governor VANCE, and George FITHIAN, who opened the first tavern in a cabin, now forming a part of the dwelling of Wm. THOMAS, on South Main street. Samuel M'CORD opened the first store, in the same cabin, in March, 1806, and built, the same year, the first shingled house, now the store of Wm. and Duncan M'DONALD. In 1807 a temporary court-house was erected, now the residence of Duncan M'DONALD a brick court-house was subsequently built on the public square, which stood many years, and then gave place to the present substantial and handsome building. In 1807 the Methodists—those religious pioneers—built the first church, a log structure, which stood in the northeast part of the town, on the lot on which Mr. GANSON resides. Some years later this denomination erected a brick church, now devoted to the manufacture of carriages and wagons by Mr. CHILDS, in the central part of the town.


The first settlers in the village were Joseph C. VANCE, Thos. and Ed. W. PEARCE, George FIFHIAN, Samuel M'CORD Zeph. LUCE, Benj. DOOLITTLE, Geo. and Andrew WARD, Wm. H. FYFFE, Wm. and John GLENN, Fred. AMBROSE, John REYNOLDS and Samuel GIBBS. Of those living in the county at that time our informant recollects the names of Jacob MINTURN, Henry and Jacob VAN METRE, Nathaniel CARTMELL, Justice JONES, Felix ROCK, Thomas ANDERSON, Abner BARRET, Thomas PEARCE, Benj. and Wm. CHENEY, Matthew and Chas. STUART, Parker SULLIVAN, John LOGAN, John THOMAS, John RUNYON, John LAFFERTY, John OWENS, John TAYLOR, John FUTTRIDGE, John CARTMELL, John DAWSON, John PENCE, Jonathan LONG, Bennet TABER, Nathan FIRTCH, Robt. NOWCE, Jacob PENCE and Arthur THOMAS. The last named, Captain Arthur THOMAS, lived on King's creek, three miles from Urbana. He was ordered, in the war of 1812, with his company, to guard the public stores


Page 373

at Fort Findlay. On his return he and his son lost their horses, and separated from the rest of the company to bunt for them. They encamped at the Big Spring, near Solomonstown, about five miles north of Bellefontaine, and the next morning were found killed and scalped. Their bodies were brought into Urbana by a deputation of citizens. On the 4th of July, two months previous to this event, The Watch Tower, the first newspaper in the county, was commenced at Urbana; its publishers were CORWIN & BLACKBURN. Urbana is a beautiful town, and has, in its outskirts, some elegant private residences. The engraving is a view in its central part, taken from near REYNOLD’S store. The court-house and Methodist church are seen in the distance. The building on the left, now occupied as a store by Wm. M'DONALD, was, in the late war, DOOLITTLE'S tavern, the headquarters of Governor MEIGS. The one in front, with the date “1811”upon it, and now the store of D. & T. M'GWYNNE, was then a commissary's office; and the building where Col. Richard M. JOHNSON was brought wounded from the battle of the Thames, and in which he remained several days under a surgeon's care. Urbana contains 1 Associate Reformed, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Baptist and 1 Methodist church, 2 newspaper printing offices, 1 woollen factory, 1, foundry, 2 machine shops and 20 mercantile stores. In 1840 Urbana had 1,070 inhabitants.—Old Edition.


Urbana is forty-seven miles west of Columbus on the C. St. L. & P. R. R., and ninety-five miles northeast of Cincinnati on the N. Y. P. & O. R. R. It is also on the C. S. & C. R. R. It is the county-seat of Champaign county, and the centre of a very productive farming district. County officers in 1888 : Probate Judge, David W. TODD; Clerk of Court, Griffith ELLIS; Sheriff, R. P. WILKINS; Prosecuting Attorney, Evan Y. MIDDLETON; Auditor, J. M. FITZPATRICK; Treasurer, Richard S. PEARCE; Recorder, Theodore G. KELLER; Surveyor, James SWISHER; Coroner, J. A. DOWELL; Commissioners, L. H. RUNYAN, John P. NEER, Jacob McMORAN.


Newspapers: Urbana Daily Citizen, Republican; Urbana Citizen and Gazette, weekly, Republican, Citizen and Gazette Company, proprietors, Joseph P. SMITH, editor; Champaign Democrat, Democratic, T. M. GAUMER, editor and proprietor; Monthly Visitor, James F. HEARN. Churches: 1 Baptist, 1 Colored Baptist, l Catholic, 1 Christian, 1 Lutheran, 3 Methodist, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Protestant Episcopal and 1 New Church. Banks: Champaign National, P. B. ROSS, president, W. R. ROSS, cashier; Citizens' National, C. F. COLWELL, president, W. W. WILSON, cashier; Home Savings, Z. T. LEWIS, president, T. J. LEWIS cashier; Third National, John H. YOUNG, president, A. F. VANCE, Jr., cashier.


Manufacturers and Employees.—Dimond & Peck, carriages, 11 hands; C. G. Smith, leather, 6; Colwell Lumber and Manufacturing Co., 11; J. J. Robinson & Sons, brooms, 9; J. & Fuller, brooms, 32; The U. S. Rolling Stock Co., freight cars, etc., 355; C. A. Miller, job machinery, 10; Edward Bailey, limber; Perry & White, brooms, 72; R. Anderson, job iron castings; Aughinbaugh & Baker Bros., carriages, 13; Wm. H. Crane & Co., stoves, etc., 15; Henry Fox & Co., woollen blankets, etc., 44; J. T. Woodward & Co., flour, etc.—State Report, 1887.


Population in 1880, 6,252. School census in 1886, 1,906; A. C. DUELL, superintendent.


The Urbana University was founded here in 1850, and occupies a pleasant site. It is under the direction of gentlemen connected with the Swedenborgian or the New Church. Urbana is more mercantile than manufacturing and the country around is exceeding rich, with great diversity of products in stock and grain. In the centre of the public square stands the Soldier's Monument. Urbana was a point where the main army of HULL, in the war of 1812, concentrated, ere leaving for Detroit. In the war it was a general rendezvous for troops, before starting for the North. They encamped in various parts of the town. Quite a number of sick and disabled soldiers were sent here, some of whom died: the old court-house was used as a hospital.


Page 374


The celebrated Simon KENTON was here at an early day. Judge BURNET in his letters states that when the troops were stationed at Urbana, a mutinous plan was formed by some of them to attack and destroy a settlement of friendly Indians who had removed with their families within the settlement under assurance of protection. KENTON remonstrated against the measure, as being not only mutinous bill treacherous and cowardly. He contrasted his knowledge and experience of the Indian character with their ignorance of it. He vindicated them against the charge of treachery, which was alleged as a justification of the act they were about to perpetrate, and reminded them of the infamy they would incur by destroying a defenceless band of men, women and children, who had placed themselves in their power, relying on a solemn promise of protection. He relying appealed to their humanity their honor and their duty as soldiers. Having exhausted all the means of persuasion in his power, and finding them resolved to execute their purpose, he took a rifle and declared with great firmness that he would accompany them to the Indian encampment, and shoot down the first man who dared to molest them: that if they entered his camp they should do it by passing over his corpse. Knowing that the old veteran would redeem his pledge, they abandoned their purpose, and the poor Indians were saved. Though he was brave as, Cæsar and reckless of danger when it was his duty to expose his person, yet he was mild, even tempered, and had a heart that could bleed at the distresses of others.


There were several Indian councils in Urbana at an early day, which were usually held in a grove near the old burying ground: distinguished Shawnee and Wyandot chiefs were generally present. Before the settlement of the town, in the spring of 1795, TECUMSEH was established on Deer creek, near the site of Urbana, where he engaged in his favorite amusement of hunting, and remained until the succeeding spring. His biographer gives some anecdotes of him which occurred within the present limits of the county.


Anecdotes of Tecumseh.—While residing on Deer creek, an incident occurred which greatly enhanced his reputation as it hunter one of his brothers and several other Shawanoes of his own age proposed to bet with him that they could each kill as many deer in the space of three days as he could. Tecumseh promptly accepted the overture. The parties took to the woods, and at the end of the stipulated time, returned with the evidences of their success. None of the party, except TECUMSEH, had more than twelve deer-skins; he brought in upwards of thirty—nearly three times as many as any of his competitors. From this time he was generally conceded to be the greatest hunter in the Shawanoe nation.


In 1799 there was a council held about six miles north of the place where Urbana now stands, between the Indians and some of' the principal settlers on Mad river, for the adjustment of difficulties which had grown up between these parties. TECUMSEH, with other Shawanoe chief, attended this council. He appears to have been the most conspicuous orator of the conference, and made a speech on the occasion which was much ad­mired for its force and eloquence. The interpreter, DECHOUSET, said that he found it very difficult to translate the lofty flights of TECUMSEH although he was its well acquainted with the Shawanoe language as with the French, which was his mother tongue.


Some time during the year 1803, a stout Kentuckian came to Ohio for the purpose of exploring the lands on Mad river, and lodged one night at the house of Capt. Abnor BARRETT, residing on the headwaters Buck creek. In the course of the evening he learned, with apparent alarm that there were some Indians encamped within a short distance of the house. Shortly after hearing this unwelcome intelligence the door of Capt. BARRETT’S dwelling was suddenly opened, and in TECUMSEH entered with his usual stately air: he paused in silence and looked around, until at length his eye was fixed upon the stranger, who was manifesting symptoms of alarm, and did not venture to look the stern savage in the face. TECUMSEH turned to his host, and pointing to the agitated Kentuckian, exclaimed, “A big baby! a big; baby!” He then stepped up to him, and gently slapping him oil the shoulder several times, repeated, with a contemptuous manner the phrase, “Big baby! Big baby!” to the great alarm of the astonished man, and to the astonishment of all present.


A severe tornado, on the 22d of March, 1830, proceeding from the southwest to the northeast, passed over the northern portion of Urbana. It demolished the Presbyterian church and several dwellings, and materially injured the Methodist church. Two or three children were carried high in air and killed; boards, books and various fragments were conveyed many miles.


Urbana was early somewhat famed for its political conventions. The largest probably ever held in the county was September 15, 1840, in the Harrison campaign, when an immense multitude assembled from counties all around. A cavalcade miles in extent met General Harrison and escorted him front the west to the

Page 375




Top Picture

Drawn by Henry Howe, 1846




Bottom Picture

F. T. Graham, Photo. Urbana, 1886.



[Both views were taken from the same point. In the old view the building with the figures 1811

occupies the same site as that of the building with a tower on the right in the new view



Page 376







Top Picture

F. T. Graham, Photo., Urbana, 1886



Bottom Picture

From a painting owned by Robert Clark, Cincinnati, O.



Page 377

Public Square, where he was introduced to the people by Moses B. CORWIN and made a speech two hours in length. He was at this time sixty-seven years of age, but his delivery was clear and distinct. “Dinner was had in the grove of Mr. John A. WARD, father of the sculptor, in the southwest part of the town, where twelve tables, each over 300 feet long, had been erected and laden with provisions. Oxen and sheep were barbecued, and an abundance of cider supplied the drink for the day. In the evening addresses were made by Arthur ELLIOTT, ex-Governor METCALF, of Kentucky, who wore a buckskin hunting shirt, Mr. CHAMBERS, from Louisiana, and Richard DOUGLASS, of Chillicothe. The day was one of great hilarity and excitement. The delegations and processions had every conceivable mode of conveyance and carried flags and emblems with various strange mottoes and devices. Among them was a banner or board, on which was this sentence:


The People is OLL KORRECT.


This was the origin of the use of the letters “O. K.,” not uncommon in our own time.


The Urbana Camp-Grounds, three miles east of the city, are regarded as among. the most commodious and convenient in the country. They comprise some forty acres. There are here several hundred one-and-a-half story cottages with verandas. The auditorium has a seating capacity of about 3,500. Urbana has long been noted as a camp-meeting community, and several National Camp-meeting Conventions have been held there.


In Oak Dale Cemetery, southeast of Urbana, is a monument of light gray sandstone, about eleven feet high, to the memory of Gen. Simon KENTON. Inscriptions: north, side—Erected by the State of Ohio, 1884; south side—1775 -1836.


On the north side is a wolf's head, on the south side an Indian's, on the west side a bear's head, on the east side a panther's; at the foot of the grave is the original grave-stone of Kenton, a simple slab, 26 by 16, on which is inscribed:


“In memory of Gen. Simon KENTON, who was born April 3, 1755, in Culpepper county, Virginia, and died April 29, 1836, aged eighty-one years and twenty-six days. His fellow-citizens of the West will long remember him as the skilful pioneer of early times, the brave soldier and the honest man.”

Gen. KENTON resided for the last few years of his life about five miles northeast of Bellefontaine, where he died and was buried. The small stone slab above described was put over the spot of his burial. A view of his old grave there will be found under the head of Logan county. His remains were removed to the Oak Dale cemetery during the governorship of Chas. Anderson. The monument was not erected until more than ten years later, and then mainly through the persistent efforts of Mr. William PATRICK, of Urbana, an old lifelong friend of the General, and now living at the advanced age of ninety-two years.




Simon KENTON was born in Fauquier county, Virginia, in 1755, of Scotch-Irish parentage. Having at the age of fifteen an affray with William VEACH in a love affair and erroneously believing he had killed him, he fled to Kentucky, and to escape recognition assumed the name of Simon Butler. He was almost constantly engaged in conflicts with the Indians from that time until the treaty of Greenville. He was probably in more expeditions against the Indians, encountered greater peril, and had more narrow escapes from death than any man of his time.


Page 378

The many incidents of his romantic and, eventful life are well detailed by his friend and biographer, Colonel John M'DONALD, from whose work we extract the thrilling narrative of his captivity and hairbreadth escapes from a cruel and lingering death.


Incursion into Ohio.—KENTON lay about Boones's and Logan's stations till ease become irksome to him. About the 1st of September of this same year, 1778 we find him preparing for another Indian expedition. Alex­ander MONTGOMERY and George CLARK joined him, and they set off from Boone's station for the avowed purpose of obtaining horses from the Indians. They crossed the Ohio and proceeded cautiously to Chillicothe (now Oldtown, Ross county). They arrived at the town without meeting any adventure. In the night they fell in with a drove of horses that were feeding in the rich prairies. They were prepared with salt and halters. They had witch difficulty to catch the horses; however, at length they succeeded, and as soon as the horses were haltered they clashed off with seven—a good haul. They travelled with all the speed they could to the Ohio. They came to the Ohio near the mouth of Eagle creek now in Brown county. When they came to the river the wind blew almost a hurricane. The waves ran so high that, the horses were frightened, and could not be induced to take to the water. It was late in the evening. They then rode back into the hills some distance front the river, hobbled and turned their horses louse to graze; while they turned back some distance, and watched the trail they had come, to discover whether or no they were pursued. Here they remained till the following day when the wind subsided. As soon as the wind full they caught their horses and went again to the river; but the horses were so frightened with the waves the day before that all their efforts could not induce their to take to the water. This was a sure disappointment to our adventurers.


Captured by Indians.—They were satisfied that they were pursued by the enemy; they therefore determined to lose no more time in useless efforts to cross the Ohio; they concluded to select three, of the best horses and make their way to the falls of the Ohio, where Gen. CLARK had left some men stationed. Each made choice of a horse, and the other horses were turned loose to shift for themselves? After the spare horses had been loosed and permitted to ramble off, avarice whispered to them, and why not take all the horses? The loose horses had by this little scattered and straggled out of sight. Our party now separated to hunt up the horses they had turned loose. KENTON went towards the river, and had not gone far before he heard a whoop in the direction of where they had been trying to force the horses into the water. He got off his horse and tied him, and then crept with a stealthy tread of a cat to make observations in the direction he beard the whoop. Just as he reached the high bank of the river he met the Indians on horseback. Being unperceived by them, but so nigh that it was impossible for him to retreat without being discovered, he concluded the boldest course to be the safest, and very deliberately took aim at the foremost Indian. His gun flashed in the pan. He then retreated. The Indians pursued on horseback. In his retreat he passed through a piece of land where a storm had torn up a great part of the timber. The fallen trees afforded him some advantage of the Indians in the race, as they were on horseback and he on foot. The Indian force divided; some rode on one side of the fallen timber and some on the other. Just as he emerged from the fallen timber at the foot of the hill, one of the Indians met him on horseback and boldly rode up to him, jumped off his horse and rushed at him with his tomahawk. KENTON concluding a gun-barrel as good a weapon of defence as a tomahawk drew back his gun to strike the Indian before him. At that instant another Indian, who unperceived by Kenton had slipped up behind him, clasped him in his arms. Being now overpowered by numbers, further resistance was useless he surrendered. While the Indians were binding KENTON with tugs, MONTGOMERY came in view and fired at the Indians, but missed his mark. MONTGOMERY fled on foot. Some of the Indians pursued, shot at and missed him; a second fire was made and MONTGOMERY fell. The Indians soon returned to KENTON, shaking at him MONTGOMERY'S bloody scalp. George CLARK, KENTON'S other companion, made his escape, crossed the Ohio and arrived safe at Logan's station.


The Indians encamped that night on the bank of the Ohio. The next morning they prepared their horses for a return to their towns, with the unfortunate and unhappy prisoner. Nothing but death in the most appalling form presented itself to his view. When they were ready to set off they caught the wildest horse in the company and placed KENTON on his back. The horse being very restive it took several of them to hold him, while the others lashed the prisoner on the horse. They first took a tug, or rope, and fastened his, legs and feet too-ether under the horse. They took another and fastened his arms. They took another and tied around his neck, and fastened one end of it around the horse's neck; the other end of the same rope was fastened to the horse's tail to answer in place of a crupper. They had a great deal of amusement to themselves, as they were preparing KENTON and his horse for fun and frolic. They would yelp and scream around him, and ask him if he wished to steal more horses. Another rope was fastened around his thighs, and lashed around the body of his horse; a pair of moccasins was drawn over


Page 379

his hands to prevent him from defending his face from the brush. Thus accoutered and fastened the horse was turned loose to the woods. He reared and plunged, ran through the woods for some time, to the infinite amusement of the Indians. After the horse had run about lunging, rearing and kicking for some time and found that he could not shake of, nor kick off his rider, he very quietly submitted himself to his situation, and followed the cavalcade as quiet and peaceable as his rider.


Reaches Chillicothe, the Indian Village.—The Indians moved towards Chillicothe, and in three days reached the town. At night they confined their prisoner in the following manner: He was laid on his back, his legs extended. drawn apart, and fastened to two saplings or stakes driven in the ground. His arms were extended, a pole laid across his breast, and his arms lashed to the pole with cords. A rope was tied around his neck, and stretched back just tight enough not to choke him, and fastened to a tree or stake near his head. In this painful and uncomfortable situation he spent three miserable nights, exposed to gnats and mosquitos and weather. O poor human nature, what miserable wretches we are thus to punish and harass each other. (The frontier whites of that day were but little behind the Indians, in wiles, in cruelty and revenge.) When the Indians came within about a mile of the Chillicothe town they halted and camped for the night, and fastened the poor unfortunate prisoner in the usual uncomfortable manner. The Indians, young and old, came from the town to welcome the return of the successful warriors, and to visit their prisoner. The Indian party, young and old, consisting of about 150, commenced dancing, singing and yelling around KENTON, stopping occasionally and kicking and beating him for amusement. In this manner they tormented him for about three hours, when the cavalcade returned to town, and he was left for the rest of the night, exhausted and forlorn, to the tender mercies of the gnats and mosquitos.


Runs the Gauntlet.—As soon as it was light in the morning the Indians began to collect from the town, and preparations were made for fun and frolic at the expense of KENTON, as he was now doomed to run the gauntlet. The Indians were formed in two lines, about six feet apart, with each a hickory in his hands, and KENTON placed between the two lines, so that each Indian could beat him as much as he thought proper as he ran through the lines. He had not run far before he discovered an Indian with his knife drawn to plunge it into him; as soon as KENTON reached that part of the line where the Indian stood who had the knife drawn he broke through the lines, and made with all speed for the town. KENTON had been previously informed by a negro named Cæsar, who lived with the Indians and knew their customs, that if he could break through the Indians' lines and arrive at the council-house in the town before he was overtaken, that they would not force him a “second time to run the gauntlet. When he broke through their lines he ran at the top of his speed for the council-house, pursued by two or three hundred Indians, screaming like infernal furies. Just as he had entered the town he was met by an Indian leisurely walking towards the scene of amusement, wrapped in a blanket. The Indian threw off his blanket: and as he was fresh, and KENTON nearly exhausted, the Indian caught him and threw him down. In a moment the whole party who were in pursuit came up, and fell to cuffing and kicking him at a most fearful rate. They tore off his clothes and left him naked and exhausted. After he had laid still he had in some degree recovered from his exhausted state they brought him some water and something to eat.


The Indian Council.—As soon as his strength was sufficiently recovered they took him to the council-house to determine upon his fate. Their manner of deciding his fate was as follows: Their warriors were placed in a circle in the council-house; an old chief was placed in the centre of the circle with a knife and a piece of wood in his hands. A number of speeches were made. KENTON, although he did not understand their language, soon discovered by the animated gestures and fierce looks at him, that a majority of their speakers were contending for his destruction. He could perceive that those who plead for mercy were received coolly; but few grunts of approbation were uttered when the orators closed their speeches. After the orators ceased speaking .the old chief, who sat in the midst of the circle, raised up and handed a war-club to the man who sat next the door. They proceeded to take the decision of their court. All who were for the death of the prisoner struck the war-club with violence against the ground; those who voted to save the prisoner's life passed the club to his next neighbor without striking the ground. KENTON, from their expressive gestures, could easily distinguish the object of their vote. The old chief, who stood to witness and record the number that voted for death or mercy, as one struck the ground with a war-club made a mark on one side of his piece of wood; and when the club was passed without striking he made a mark on the other. KENTON discovered that a large majority were for death.


Sentence of Death being now passed upon the prisoner they made the welkin ring with shouts of joy. The sentence of death being passed there was another question of considerable difficulty now presented itself to the consideration of the council; that was, the time and place, when and where he should be burnt. The orators again made speeches on the subject, less animated indeed than on the trial; but some appeared to be quite vehement for instant execution, while others appeared to wish to make his death a solemn national sacrifice.


Attempt at Escape.—After a long debate the vote was taken, when it was resolved


Page 380


that the place of his execution should be Wapatomika (now Zanesfield, Logan county). The next morning he was hurried away to the place destined for his execution. From Chillicothe to Wapatomika they had to pass through two other Indian towns, to wit: Pickaway and Machecheek. At both towns he was compelled to run the gauntlet; and severely was he whipped through the course. While he lay at Machecheek, being carelessly guarded, he made an attempt to escape. Nothing worse than death could follow, and here he made a bold push for life and freedom. Being unconfined he broke and run, and soon cleared himself out of sight of his pursuers. While he distanced his pursuers, and got about two miles from the town, he accidentally met some Indians on horseback. They instantly pursued and soon came up with him, and drove him back again to town. He now, for the first time, gave up his case as hopeless. Nothing but death stared him in the face. Fate; it appeared to him, had sealed his doom; and a sullen despair he determined to await that doom, that it was impossible for him to shun. How inscrutable are the ways of Providence, and how little can man control his destiny ! When the Indians returned with KENTON to the town there was a general rejoicing. He was pinioned and given over to the young Indians, who dragged him into the creek, tumbled him in the water, and rolled him in the mud till he was nearly suffocated with mud and water. In this way they amused themselves with him till he was nearly drowned. He now thought himself forsaken by God. Shortly after this his tormentors moved with him to Wapatomika.


An Unexpected Friend.—As soon as he arrived at this place the Indians, young and old, male and female, crowded around the prisoner. Among others who came to see him was the celebrated and notorious Simon GIRTY. It will be recollected that KENTON and GIRTY were bosom companions at Fort Pitt, and on the campaign with Lord Dunmore. As it was the custom of the Indians to black such prisoners as were intended to be put to death, GIRTY did not immediately recognize KENTON in his black disguise. GRITY came forward and inquired of KENTON where he had lived. Was answered Kentucky. He next inquired how many men there were in Kentucky. He answered he did not know; but would give him the names and rank of the officers, and he, GIRTY, could judge of the probable number of men. KENTON then named a great many officers and their rank, many of whom had honorary titles with without any command. At length GIRTY asked the prisoner his name. When he was answered Simon Butler (it will be recollected that he changed his name when he fled from his parents and home) GIRTY eyed him for a moment, and immediately recognized the active and bold youth who had been his companion in arms about Fort Pitt, and on the campaign with Lord Dunmore. GIRTY threw himself into KENTON'S arms, embraced and wept aloud over him—calling him his dear and esteemed friend. This hardened wretch, who had been the cause of the death of hundreds, had some of the sparks of humanity remaining in him, and wept like a child at the tragical fate which hung over his friend. “Well,” said he to KENTON, “you are condemned to die, but I will use every means m my power to save your life.”


GIRTY immediately had a council convened, and made a long speech to the Indians to save the life of the prisoner. As GIRTY was proceeding through his speech he became very animated; and under his powerful eloquence KENTON could plainly discover the grim visages of his savage judges relent. When GIRTY concluded his powerful and animated speech the Indians rose with one simultaneous grunt of approbation, saved the prisoner's life, and placed him under the care and protection of his old companion, GIRTY.


More Trouble.—The British had a trading establishment then at Wapatomika. GIRTY took KENTON with him to the store and dressed him from head to foot, as well as he could wish; he was also provided with a horse and saddle. KENTON was now free, and roamed about through the country from Indian town to town, in company with his benefactor. How uncertain is the fate of nations as well as that of individuals! How sudden the changes from adversity to prosperity, and from prosperity to adversity! KENTON being a strong, robust man, with an iron frame, with a resolution that never winced at danger, and fortitude to bear pain with the composure of a stoic, he soon recovered from his scourges and bruises, and the other severe treatment he had received. It is thought probable that if the Indians had continued to treat him with kindness and respect he would eventually have become one of them. He had but few inducements to return again to the whites. He was then a fugitive from justice, had changed his name, and he thought it his interest to keep as far from his former acquaintances as possible. After KENTON and his benefactor had been roaming about for some time, a war party of Indians, who had been on an expedition to the neighborhood of Wheeling, returned; they had been defeated by the whites, some of their men were killed, and others wounded. When this defeated party returned they were sullen, chagrined and full of revenge, and determined to kill any of the whites who came within their grasp. KENTON was the only white man on whom they could satiate their revenge. KENTON and GIRTY were then at Solomon's town, a small distance from Wapatomika. A message was immediately sent to GIRTY to return and bring KENTON with him. The two friends met the messenger on their way. The messenger shook hands with GIRTY, but refused the hand of KENTON.


The Second Council.—GIRTY, after talking aside with the messenger some time, said to KENTON, they have sent for us to attend a grand council at Wapatomika. They hur-

Page 381


ried to the town; and when they arrived there the council-house was crowded. When GIRTY went into the house, the Indians all rose up and shook hands with him; but when KENTON offered his hand, it was refused with a scowl of contempt. This alarmed him; he began to admit the idea that this sudden convention of the council, and their refusing his hand, boded him some evil After the members of the council were seated in their usual manner, the war chief of the defeated party rose up and made a most vehement speech, frequently turning his fiery and revengeful eyes on KENTON during his speech GIRTY was the next to arise and address the council. He told them that he had lived with them several years; that, he had risked his life in that time more frequently than any of them; that they all knew that he had never spared the life of one of the hated Americans; that they well knew that he had never asked for a division of the spoils; that he fought alone for the destruction of their enemies; and he now requested them to spare the life of this young man on his account. The young man, he said, was his early friend, for whom he felt the tenderness of a parent for a son, and he hoped, after the many evidences that he had given of his attachment to the Indian cause, they would not hesitate to grant his request. If they would indulge him in granting his request to spare the life of this young man, he would pledge himself never to ask them again to spare the life of a hated American.


Again Sentenced to Death.—Several chiefs spoke m succession on this important subject; and with the most apparent deliberation, the council decided, by an overwhelming majority for death. After the decision of this grand court was announced, GIRTY went to KENTON, and embracing him very tenderly, said that he very sincerely sympathized with him in his forlorn and unfortunate situation; that he had used all the efforts he was master of to save his life, but it was now decreed that he must die—that he could do no more for him. Awful doom!


It will be recollected, that this was in 1778 in the midst of the American revolution. Upper Sandusky was then the place where the British paid their western Indian allies their annuities; and as time might effect what his eloquence could not, GIRTY, as last resort; persuaded the Indians to convey their prisoner to Sandusky, as there would meet vast numbers to receive their present that the assembled tribes could there witness the solemn scene of the death of the prisoner. To this proposition the council agreed; and the prisoner was placed in the care of five Indians, who forthwith set off for Upper Sandusky. What windings, and twistings, and turnings, were seen in the fate of our hero.


Logan, the Mingo Chief.—As the Indian passed from Wapatomika to Upper Sandusky, they went through a small village the river Scioto, where then resided the celebrated chief, LOGAN, of Jefferson memory. LOGAN, unlike the rest of his tribe, was humane as he was brave. At his wigwam the party who had the care of the prisoner staid over night. During the evening, LOGAN entered into conversation with the prisoner. The next morning he told KENTON that he would detain the party that day—that he had sent two of his young men off the night before to Upper Sandusky, to speak a good word for him. LOGAN was great and good—the friend of all men. In the course of the following evening his young men returned, and early the next morning the guard set off with the prisoner for Upper Sandusky. When KENTON'S party set off from LOGAN'S, LOGAN shook hands with the prisoner, but gave no intimation as to what might probably be his fate. The party went on with KENTON till they came in view of the Upper Sandusky town. The Indians, young and old, came out to meet and welcome the warriors, and view the prisoner. Here he was not compelled to run the gauntlet. A grand council was immediately convened to determine upon the fate of KENTON. This was the fourth council which was held to dispose of the life of the prisoner.


Peter Druyer.—As soon as this grand court was organized and ready to proceed to business, a Canadian Frenchman, by the name of Peter DRUYER, who was a captain in the British service, and dressed in the gaudy appendages of the British uniform, made his appearance in the council. This DRUYER was born and raised in Detroit—he was connected with the British Indian agent department was their principal interpreter in settling Indian affairs; this made him a man of great consequence among the Indians. It was to this influential man that the good chief LOGAN, the friend of all the human family, sent his young men to intercede for the life of KENTON. His judgment and address were only equalled by his humanity. His foresight in selecting the agent, who it was most probable could save the life of the prisoner, proves his judgment and his knowledge of the human heart. As soon as the grand council was organized, Capt. DRUYER requested permission to address the council. This permission was instantly granted. He began his speech by stating, “that it was well known that it was the wish and interest of the English that not an American should be left alive. That the Americans were the cause of the present bloody and distressing war that neither peace nor safety could be expected, so long as these intruders were permitted to live upon the earth.” This part of his speech received repeated grunts of approbation. He then explained to the Indians, “that the war, to be carried on successfully, required cunning as well as bravery—that the intelligence which might be extorted from a prisoner would be of more advantage, in conducting the future operations of the war, than would be the lives of twenty prisoners. That he had no doubt but the commanding officer at Detroit could procure information from the prisoner now before them that would


Page 382


be of incalculable advantage to them in the progress of the present war. Under these circumstances, he hoped they would defer the death of the prisoner till he was taken to Detroit and examined by the commanding general. After which he could be brought back, and if thought advisable, upon further consideration, he might be put to death in any manner they thought proper.” He next noticed, “that they had already a great deal of trouble and fatigue with the prisoner without being revenged upon him; but that they had got back all the horses the prisoner had stolen from them, and killed one of his comrades; and to insure them something for their fatigue and trouble, he himself would give them $100 in rum and tobacco, or any other articles they would choose, if they would let him take the prisoner to Detroit, to be examined by the British general.”


Kenton's Release.—The Indians, without hesitation, agreed to Capt. DRUYER'S proposition, and he paid down the ransom. As soon as these arrangements were concluded, DRUYER and a principal chief set off with the prisoner for Lower Sandusky. From this place they proceeded by water to Detroit, where they arrived in a few days. Here the prisoner was handed over to the commanding officer, and lodged in the fort as a prisoner of war. He was now out of danger from the Indians, and was treated with the usual attention of prisoners of war in civilized countries. The British commander gave the Indians some additional remuneration for the life of the prisoner, and they returned satisfied to join their countrymen at Wapatomika.


As soon as KENTON'S mind was out of suspense, his robust constitution and iron frame in a few days recovered from the severe treatment they had undergone. KENTON remained at Detroit until the time following, when he with other prisoners escaped, and after enduring great privations rejoined their friends.


About the year 1802 he settled in Urbana, where he remained some years, and was elected brigadier-general of militia. In the war of 1812 he joined the army of Gen. HARRISON, and was at the battle of the Moravian town, where he displayed his usual intrepidity. About the year 1820 He moved to the head of Mad river. A few years after, through the exertions of Judge BURNET and Gen. VANCE, a pension of $20 per month was granted to him, which secured his declining age from want. He died in 1836, at which time he had been a member of the Methodist church about eighteen years. The frosts of more than eighty winters had fallen on his head without entirely whitening his locks. His biographer thus describes his personal appearance and character:


Gen. KENTON was of fair complexion, six feet one inch in height. He stood and walked very erect, and, in the prime of life, weighed about 190 pounds. He never was inclined to be corpulent, although of sufficient fulness to form a graceful person. He had a soft, tremulous voice, very pleasing to the hearer. He had laughing gray eyes, which appeared to fascinate the beholder. He was a pleasant, good-humored, and obliging companion. When excited or provoked to anger (which was seldom the case) the fiery glance of his eye would almost curdle the blood of those with whom he came in contact. His rage, when roused, was a tornado. In his dealing he was perfectly honest; his confidence in man and his credulity were such that the same man might cheat him twenty times, and if he professed friendship he might cheat


The grave and monument of Gov. VANCE is in Oakdale cemetery, near that of Simon KENTON. JOSEPH VANCE was born in Washington, Pa., in 1786, of Scotch-Irish stock. In 1805 he came with his father to Urbana, and took all active part. in public matters: was a militia officer prior to and during the war of 1812; was member of the State Legislature in 1812; member of Congress from 1820 to 1836, and again in 1843; governor in 1837 and in 1851. While acting as a member of the convention to revise the Constitution of the State was stricken with paralysis, and the next year died on his farm, two miles north of Urbana. In politics he was a Whig of the Henry Clay school; a great friend of public improvements, and one of the first men in the county to import thoroughbred stock. Beer's “History of Champaign County” says of him:


“In 1827 he advocated the repair and extension of the National road, then called the Cumberland road, through Ohio and other States of the West, and in a speech in Congress in support of a bill before the House, made some hard thrusts at the advocates of State rights. It was at a time when the ‘Code’ settled such matters, attacks in the House being satisfied in the field. But it was understood


Page 383

not only that the general would fight, but that he was a dead shot with the rifle, and nothing more was said about fighting.


Gov. VANCE was about five feet ten inches in height, with a large frame inclined to corpulency. He had a large head and forehead, and a strongly marked face. The eyebrows were heavy, and the right eye nearly closed, as though pained by the sunlight. He always wore a standing shirt-collar, loose around the neck, and not always square with his chin, and a small black cravat or neckerchief tied with a small bow-knot. At home and among his neighbors he was partial to a blouse and jeans pantaloons, and had a great dislike to the fashionable cut of the latter. In his public life he wore, according to the custom of that day, the conventional suit of black cloth.


“To young men whom he met he was pleasant and talkative, and had a happy faculty of describing scenes of public life he had witnessed and the public men he had met, talking in an easy conversational way of the every-day life not often found in the books and papers. As a speaker he had a strong, rich voice, speaking with great earnestness and force, and without the arts of the practised debater, and in the heat of discussion apt to indulge in an argument ad hominem.”


JOHN QUINCY ADAMS WARD, regarded as America's first sculptor, was born in June, 1830, in the family homestead, still standing on the southwest border of the town, and occupied by the sisters of the artist. He was well born. His mother's maiden name was MacBeth; his father was John A. WARD, a farmer, and owner of about 600 acres of land, which he inherited from his father, Col. William WARD, the first settler and proprietor of the site of Urbana.



In one of the rooms of the mansion is an elaborately carved mantelpiece, in front of which stood the parents of the artist when they were married. Among the curiosities is a plaster bust of a young girl, a niece, which is the first model he ever made—the expression is sweet and soft; a portrait of his mother in basso-relievo, and a plaster statuette; a model of Simon KENTON in a hunter's garb, leaning on a rifle. Session's paper on “Art and Artists in Ohio” give these items in regard to him:


He received his first instructions from teachers in the family, then in the village schools, and lastly from John OGDEN, a good scholar and worthy lawyer, who is still living in Urbana. An old series of the “Encyclopedia Britannica” proved a great storehouse of knowledge to him. From childhood he worked images in clay of dogs and other animals, of objects, as men on horseback, etc. The first work of art he ever saw was a copy of a head of Apollo in terra cotta, by Hiram Powers, which was owned by John H. JAMES, of Urbana.


From sixteen to eighteen he suffered from malaria and general ill-health, and was depressed in spirits. At the latter age Mrs. THOMAS, a married sister living in Brooklyn; N. Y., said to him, “Quincy, would you really like to become an artist?” His reply being a bashful “Yes,” he was taken to New York in his eighteenth year, but for many weeks could not muster up courage to enter the door of Henry K. Brown's studio, although he was a friend of his sister's family Finally he ventured to timidly ask him if he would take him as an, art student. Brown told him to go back home and model something, so that he could see what he could do.


He shot across to New York, bought a copy of the “Venus de Medicis,” and lugged home a bag of clay over a distance of two miles, and went to work. He took his clay “Venus” to Brown, and was accepted at once as a student. He worked over six years with his master very hard. He executed a


Page 384

wolf's head for a fountain in Mexico, for which Brown paid him $10, the first money he ever earned. In this studio he learned a the minute details of the sculptor's art, The Frenchmen employed to assist in the mechanical expert work in connection with the erection of the equestrian statue of “Washington” in Union Square having “struck,” WARD to Brown to discharge the whole lot, as they could complete the statue themselves. WARD says he spent more days in the bronze horse belly than Jonah spent in the belly of the whale.


The greater part of 1857-58 Ward spent in Washington City, modelling busts of Job P. Hale, A. H. Stephens, J. R. Giddings, and Hannibal Hamlin. He came to Columbus bus early in 1861 with a model of a statue of Simon KENTON, ho hoping to obtain a commission from the State. While here he executed bust of Gov. Dennison. His next effort was the now famous “Indian Hunter,” in Central Park, which had an enormous success from the first. Six copies in bronze, reduced in size, were sold on highly remunerative terms. Then followed the execution of the principal of WARD’S works, in this order: “The Freedman man;” bust of Dr. Dewey, in marble statue, colossal, of Commodore M. C. Perry, in New York; Seventh Regiment Soldier, bronze heroic, in Central Park; “The Good Samaritan;” statue of Gen. Reynolds;” Shakespeare,” in Central Park, “Gen. Israel Putman: heroic size, in Hartford; “William Gilmore Simms,” bust, in Charleston:” “Gen. George H. Thomas,” equestrian, in Washington; “The Pilgrim,” heroic, in Central Park; “Washington,” bronze and colossal, in Wall street; “William E. Dodge,” in New York.


Mr. Ward has recently finished a colossal statue of “Garfield,” which has been placed in Washington City by the army of the Cumberland He has also completed the model of a gigantic soldiers' monument for the city of Brooklyn. This last work will probably be the masterpiece of this sculptor. It illustrates our whole military history from the revolution to the rebellion, including the war of 1812 and the war with Mexico. Washington, Jackson, Scott and Grant appropriately represent the four periods fit is by the universal judgment of American artists and art critics Quincy WARD is placed first among American sculptors. H. K. Brown once said that “Ward had more genius; than Greenough, Crawford, Powers and all the other American sculptors combined.”


Eastman Johnson, James H. Beard and other eminent artists have affirmed that WARD has passed beyond Story, Ball, Thompson and all other rivals, and is now without a peer as a sculptor. He is unquestionably the greatest artist that this country has yet produced. Numerous commissions for forty, sixty, and a hundred thousand dollars now await his execution.




Mechanicsburg in the days of the Underground Railroad was one of the regular depots for the fleeing fugitives from slavery. Her people were noted for their abhorrence of the institution, and never failed to give such shelter and protection. In 1857, when “the Fugitive Slave Law” was in operation, an attempt was made by the United States authorities to seize a slave (one Ad WHITE), who had found a home with a farmer in the vicinity of the village. The circumstances we copy from Beer's “History of Clark County.”


Ad WHITE, a fugitive from Kentucky bearing the surname of his master, made his way to the place of rest for the oppressed, and, thinking he was far enough away, had quietly settled down to work on the farm of Udney HYDE, near Mechanicsburg. His master had tracked him to the farm of HYDE, and obtained a warrant far his arrest at the United States Court in Cincinnati. Ben CHURCHILL, with eight others, undertook his capture. Ad was at that time a powerful man, able and willing to whip his weight in wildcats, if necessary, and had expressed his determination never to return to slavery alive. CHURCHILL & Co. had been advised of this, and made their approaches to HYDE’s house cautiously, informing some persons in Mechanicsburg of, their business, and suggesting to there to go out and see the fun, which invitation was promptly accepted. Ad slept in the loft of HYDE’S house, to which access could only be obtained by means of a ladder, and one person only at a time.


Here he had provided himself with such articles of defence as a rifle, a double-barrelled shotgun, revolver, knife and axe, and had the steady nerve and skill to use them successfully if circumstances forced him to. CHURCHILL and party arrived at HYDE’S and found the game in his retreat. They parleyed with him for some time, coaxed him to come down, ordered old man HYDE to go up and bring him out, deputized the men who followed them to go up, but all declined, telling them that five men ought to be able to take one. WHITE finally proposed, in order to relieve HYDE of danger of compromise, if the five marshals would lay aside their arms and permit him to go into an adjoining field, and they could then overpower him, he would make no further resistance; but so long as they persisted in their advantage he would remain where he was, and kill the first man who attempted to enter the loft.


Deputy-Marshal ELLIOTT, of Cincinnati, was the first and only one to attempt to enter where WHITE was, and as his body passed


Page 385

above the floor of the loft he held a shotgun before him, perhaps to protect himself, but particularly to scare White. But White was not to be scared that way. He meant what he said when he warned them to let him done, and, quick as thought, the sharp crack of a rifle rang out on the air, and ELLIOTT dropped to the floor, not killed, but saved by his gun, the ball having struck the barrel, and thus prevented another tragedy in the slave-hunter's path. This was the only effort made to dislodge White, and after consultation they left for Urbana, going hence to Cincinnati. The gentlemen who had followed them out to HYDE’S rallied them considerably on their failure, and in all probability were not very choice in their English; to express their opinions of “slave-hunters.”


Chagrined and mortified by their failure, and smarting under the sharp railleries of the bystanders. CHURCHILL and ELLIOTT made their report to the court at Cincinnati, and made oath that Azro L. MANN, Charles TAYLOR, David TULLIS and Udney HYDE had interfered and prevented the capture of the negro WHITE, and refused to assist when called upon. Warrants were issued for their arrest, and a posse of fourteen, headed by CHURCHILL and ELLIOTT, went to Mechanicsburg and took them in custody. The men were prominent in the community, and their arrest created intense excitement.


Parties followed the marshals, expecting them to go to Urbana to board the cars for Cincinnati, but they left the main road, striking through the country, their actions creating additional excitement, causing suspicion of abduction. A party went at once to Urbana and obtained from Judge S. V. BALDWIN a writ of habeas corpus, commanding the marshals to bring their prisoners and show by what authority they were held. John CLARK, Jr., then sheriff of Champaign county, summoned a posse and started in pursuit, overtaking the marshals with their prisoners just across the county line, at Catawba, when the two parties dined together. In the meantime Judge Ichabod CORWIN and Hon. J. C. BRAND went to Springfield with a copy of the writ, and started Sheriff John E. LAYTON, of Clark county, and his deputy to intercept them at South Charleston. They reached there just as the marshals passed through, and overtook them half a mile be­yond the town.


In attempting to serve the writ, LAYTON was assaulted by ELLIOTT with a slung-shot, furiously and brutally beaten to the ground, receiving injuries from which he never fully recovered. LAYTON'S deputy, COMPTON, was shot at several times, but escaped unhurt, and when he saw his superior stricken down and helpless, he went to him and permitted the marshals to resume their journey. Sheriff CLARK and his party came up soon after, and Sheriff LAYTON was borne back to South Charleston in a dying condition, it was sup­posed, but a powerful constitution withstood the tremendous shock, although his health was never fully restored.


The assault on Sheriff LAYTON was at once telegraphed to Springfield and other points, causing intense excitement and arousing great indignation. Parties were organized and the capture of the marshals undertaken in ear­nest. Their track now lay through Greene county. Sheriff LEWIS was telegraphed for, and joined the party. On the following morning, near the village of Lumberton, in Greene county, the State officers, headed by Sheriff LEWIS, overtook the marshals, who surrendered without resistance. The prisoners were taken to Urbana, before Judge BALDWIN, and released, as no one appeared to show why they were arrested, or should be detained.


The United States marshals were all ar­rested at Springfield, on their way to Urbana, for assault with intent to kill, and, being un­able to furnish security, were lodged in jail over night. James S. CHRISTIE was justice of the peace at the time, and issued the war­rants for the arrest of the marshals; the ex­citement was so great that the examination was held in the old court-house, which proved too small for the crowd. Mr. CHRISTIE was one of those who were obliged to attend at Cincinnati. The marshals again returned to Cincinnati and procured warrants for the arrest of the four persons released upon habeas corpus, together with a large number of the citizens of Mechanicsburg, Urbana, Springfield and Xenia, who participated in the capture of the marshals.


 In Champaign county the feeling against the enforcement of this feature of the fugi­tive slave law had become so intense that the officers serving the warrants were in danger of violence. Ministers of the gospel and many of the best and most responsible citi­zens of Urbana said to Judge BALDWN, Judge CORWIN, Judge BRAND and Sheriff CLARK, on the day of arrest: “If you do not want to go, say the word, and we will protect you,” feeling that the conflict was inevitable, and might as well be precipitated at that time. These men, however, counselled moderation, and were ready and willing to suffer the inconvenience, expense and harassment of prosecution for the sake of testing this fea­ture of the slave-driver's law, and also in hope and belief that it would make it more odious, and secure its early repeal or change.


The cases of Udney HYDE and Hon. J. C. BRAND were selected as test cases representing the two features that of HYDE for refusing to assist in the arrest of a fugitive slave, and that of BRAND for interference with a United States officer in the discharge of duty. The district attorney was assisted by able counsel, and the most eminent lawyers of the State were secured to conduct the defence, when, after a long and stormy trial, the jury failed to make a verdict. The contest had now lasted nearly or quite a year, and all par­ties were becoming tired of it. The patriotism actuating both sides, though being of a different character and order, was entirely exhausted, and the glory to be obtained



Page 386


would now be left for others yet to follow. The Kentucky gentleman who had stirred up all this racket in his effort to get possession of his $1,000 in human flesh and blood now stepped to the front and proposed to settle the trouble if he could have $1,000 for his Ad WHITE, and the costs in all the cases paid. This proposition was readily acceded to, the money paid, and the cases all nolled by District Attorney MATTHEWS. The deed of Ad WHITE was made in regular form by his Kentucky owner, and now forms one of the curious and interesting features of the probate court records for Champaign county.

Thus ended one of the great conflicts in the enforcement of the fugitive slave law, which did much towards crystallizing public sentiment against the extension of slavery. These scenes transpired in 1857, and nearly all the prominent actors have passed away. Ad WHITE was notified of his freedom, and at once returned to Mechanicsburg, where, in 1881, he was, still residing, borne down by hard work and age, but ever cherishing the memory of those who gave him shelter and protection when fleeing from oppression and seeking freedom.


MECHANICSBURG is on the C. C. C. & I. R. R., about twenty-seven miles west of Columbus. Here are located the Central Ohio Fair grounds, said to be the finest in the State, nature having furnished a grand natural amphitheatre facing the fine tract of land used for this purpose. Newspaper: News, Republican, Hiram BROWN, publisher. Churches: 1 Methodist Episcopal, 1 Methodist Protestant, 1 Catholic, 2 Colored Methodist Episcopal, 1 Colored Baptist. Bank: Farmers', R. D. WILLIAMS, president, Thomas DAVIS, cashier.


Industries and Employees—P. W. Aldeu & Co., wood building-material, 5 hands; Packham Crimping Company, tinners' tools, 10; Stuart & Nickle, flan­nels, etc., 13; S. S. Staley, flour, feed, and lumber, 4; AV. C. Downey & Co., grain-drills, 150; The Packham Crimher Company, stove-pipe crimpers, 5; The Hastings Paper Company, straw-paper, 46—State Report 1886. Population in 1880, 1,522. School census in 1880, 428;; Frank S. FUSON, superintendent.

ST. PARIS, fifty miles west of Columbus, is on the C. St. L. & P. R. R., in the centre of a fine agricultural community. Newspaper: Era-Dispatch, Independent, John E. WALER, editor and publisher. Churches: 1 Methodist Episcopal, 1 Baptist, 1 Evangelical Lutheran, 1 Lutheran, 1 Universalist, 1 Reformed, and 1 Catholic.


Industries—Creameries, carriage factories, planing and grist-mills, etc.Population in 1880, 1,100. School census in 1886, 372; George W. MILLER, superintendent.


NORTH LEWISBURG, about thirty-five miles northwest of Columbus, at the intersection of Champaign, Logan, and Union counties, on the N. Y. P. & O. R. R., is surrounded by a rich farming country, special attention being given to stock raising. Newspaper: Tri-County Free Press, Republican, Kelly MOUNT, editor. Churches: 1 Methodist Episcopal, 1 African Methodist Episcopal, 1 Protestant Methodist, 1 Catholic, and 1 Friends. Bank of North Lewisburg, S. CLARK, president, J. C. THOMPSON, cashier. Population in 1880, 936 School census in 1886, 314; Joseph SWISHER, superintendent.


WOODSTOCK had, in 1880, 383, and MUTUAL 189 inhabitants.


Image button58061219.jpg