Page 315


MORROW COUNTY was formed February 24, 1848, from Richland, Knox, Marion and Delaware, and named from Jeremiah Morrow, of Warren county, Governor of Ohio from 1822 to 1826. Surface level on the west and south; north and east somewhat hilly; soil fertile, with large quarries of good building stone.


Area about 450 square miles. In 1887 the acres cultivated were 97,443; in pasture, 74,809;. woodland, 41,291; lying waste, 804; produced in wheat, 195,996 bushels; rye, 3,022; buckwheat, 773; oats, 505,626; barley, 126; torn, 717,359; broom corn, 72 lbs. brush; meadow hay, 32,653 tons; clover hay, 6,383; flax, 7,000 lbs. fibre.; potatoes, 47,674 bushels; tobacco, 278 lbs.; butter, 692,743; cheese, 70; sorghum, 757 gallons; maple syrup, 23,031; honey, 2,418 lbs.; eggs, 618,108 dozen; grapes, 3,830 lbs.; wine, 310 gallons; sweet potatoes, 170 bushels; apples, 3,563; peaches, 1,495; pears, 1,422; wool, 540,138 lbs.; milch cows owned, 5,561. School census, 1888, 5,063; teachers, 248. Miles of railroad track. 55.



And Census




And Census












North Bloomfield,


















South Bloomfield,






















Population of Morrow in 1850, 20,380; 1860, 20,445; 1880, 19,072, of whom 15,390 were born in Ohio; 1,323, Pennsylvania; 455, New York; 294, Virginia; 108, Indiana; 27, Kentucky; 268, German Empire; 139, England and Wales; 131, Ireland; 39, British America; 9, Scotland; and 5, France. Census, 1890, 18,120.


This county is a little south of the centre of the State and is just south of the great water-shed, or rather lies on its broad summit, just far enough to have a slow drainage into the Ohio river.


The first permanent settlers came into the county just after the close of the war, 1812-1815, and the first grist and saw mill to accommodate the settlers was built by Asa MOSHER on the Whetstone, in what is now Cardington township, in 1821. For many years supplies for the families were scarce and it was difficult to get the necessary grain and have it ground in the dry time of summer and fall: Corn meal and other supplies had to be packed on horseback from Owl creek and Delaware county, but with hominy blocks and roasting ears, mush and milk, and pone and buttermilk, venison and wild turkey, the people got along cheerily and hopefully.


Grabbing a Baby.—When the first settlers came there were Indians about, but on friendly terms with the settlers. The first settler in Washington township was Benjamin SHARROCK, who came in the winter of 1818-1819. When his family came to their rude home in the wilderness they found themselves surrounded by the Indians. “Not long after their coming,” says the County History , “Abner SHARROCK was born, and when but a few months old, in a wigwam not far away, an Indian boy, who was about the same age, died. Something of mother-love was manifested even in the breast of that dusky savage, in that immediately she longed to replace her lost pappoose, and between her wailings she came to Mr. SHARROCK’S cabin and asked for Abner. Of course, the request was denied; but when the mother’s back was turned the squaw seized the little fellow in




her arms and darted out of the door into the woods toward her own wigwam. The mother gave chase, and when the squaw was in the act of crossing a fence she was caught. A struggle ensued, but for once might and right were united, and the stolen child was rescued from the hands of his savage captor.”


MOUNT GILEAD, county-seat of Morrow, about forty miles north of Columbus, is on the C. C. C. & I, and T. & O. C. Railroads. County officers, 1888: Auditor, Christian GRUBER; Clerk, James E. McCRACKEN; Commissioners, John McNEAL, John McCRACKEN, Aaron B. KEESE; Coroner, Chauncey C. DUNHAM; Infirmary Directors, Lafayette S. DUDLEY, James TURNER, Yelverton P. BARRY; Probate Judge, Louis K. POWELL; Prosecuting Attorney, Wm. H. BARNHARD; Recorder, Sylvester R. RAUHAUSER; Sheriff, James R. McCOMB; Surveyor, Wm. C. DENNISON; Treasurer, David V. WHERRY. City officers, 1888: John A. GARVER, Mayor; W. R. Baxter, Clerk; B. A. BARTON, Treasurer; John B. GARBISON, Marshal. Newspapers: Morrow County Sentinel, Republican, J. W. GRIFFITH & Son, editors and publishers; Union Register, Democratic, W. G. BEEBE, editor and publisher. Churches: 1 Baptist, 1 Methodist, l Presbyterian, l Universalist. Banks: First National, Allen LEVERING, president, R. P. HALLIDAY, cashier; Morrow County National, W. G. BEATTY, president, George F. WOLCOTT, cashier.


Manufactures and Employees.—Mount Gilead Building Co., doors, sash, etc., 7 hands; Anchor Milling Co., flour and feed, 4 ; McGowen & Co., drain tile, 4 ; Morrow County Sentinel, printing, etc., 5; H. Dunn, carriages and buggies, 6; Mount Gilead Machine Shop, repairing, 3 ; Buckeye Roller Mills, flour and feed, 4; Mount Gilead Pottery, jugs, jars, etc., 6; Dennison Brothers, drain tile, 6.—State Report, 1888.


Population, 1880, 1,216. School census, 1888, 387; J. H. SNYDER, school superintendent. Census, 1890, 1,363.


Mount Gilead was laid out September 30, 1824, by Jacob Young, of Knox county, under the name of Whetsom, though it was generally called Youngstown. In 1832 the Legislature changed its name to Mount Gilead, and in 1839 it was incorporated. It is a rich farming country, and near it are valuable stone quarries, where are stone tile works, which, with the Mount Gilead tile works largely manufacture all sizes and kinds of tile draining.


The town was of a slow growth. At the time of the issue of our original edition, in 1847, it was in Marion county, and therein was thus described: “Mount Gilead, eighteen miles southeast of Marion, is a flourishing village containing two churches, several stores, two or three mills, and about 400 inhabitants.” On the formation of Morrow county in 1848 it became the county-seat, and it took a new start. The census of 1850 gave it a population of 646. The excitement of securing the county-seat after a hard struggle got vent in a great jollification by bonfires on the streets and a congratulatory meeting and speeches in the Presbyterian church, in the midst of which Capt. RIDGDON broke his leg


RUM AND SLAVERY Were topics that interested the first settlers of town and county. As early as the spring of 1830 a temperance society with forty members was formed at Mount Gilead, and in 1840 an anti-slavery constitution for a society was signed by fourteen men and nine women. This was in the Presbyterian church. It was signed in the midst of the throwing of rotten eggs and an uproar from a howling mob who finally broke up the meeting.


A branch of the “underground railroad,” which passed through the township, did a considerable business, though the principal depots were in Peru and Washington townships. In this connection a sad story is related in the County History.


Clipping the Hair of a United States Marshal.—In the early summer of 1860 some blacks were staying at a point about two miles south of Iberia. One evening the trains stopped and let some parties get off in that vicinity. This fact was telegraphed by rumor far and near. The young men saddled their horses and hastened to the protection of these fugitives. Two of them were rescued. But the boys were incensed. They caught the party, which


Page 317



Top Picture



Bottom Picture

Theo. Brown, Photo., Mt. Gilead, 1886.



Page 318


proved to be the deputy United States Marshal and two subordinates. Then some of the boys held the deputy for another to clip the hair off his head, while others administered some ironclad oaths to the subordinates and thrashed them most unmercifully.


Arrest and Imprisonment of President Gordon.—One who stood by, not consenting to, but opposing this summary punishment, was Rev. Mr. GORGON, then president of Ohio Central College, at Iberia. He was the one, however, who was brought to trial and imprisonment. After remaining in prison for some time, the affair was brought to the ears of President Lincoln, who immediately pardoned him. But the pardon did not exonerate him from blame, and he refused to leave his prison cell, preferring to languish in prison to going out with the imputation of criminality upon him. His friends, however, persuaded or compelled him to avail himself of the pardon and leave his prison cell. But disease had fastened upon him, breathing the fetid atmosphere of his damp cell, and his release was only just in time to save his life.


The respite was but brief. The release did not bring permanent relief. A few brief years passed, and the disease contracted in that prison cell in Cleveland brought him to an untimely death, which occurred in 1868.




On October 12, 1870, there was born in Peru township, this county, one of the must remarkable double children ever known. This monstrosity consisted of two perfect children from the heads to the umbilicus or navel, which was in common. From this point the two united to form one body, the intestinal and secretory and excretory organs were common to both, and the genital organs those of a female child. On one side were two well-formed legs, extending from the side of the body at an equal distance from each head, and at right angles to the body, perfect in all respects with the exception of a slight twist in one of the feet. At the other side of the body a double leg, or two legs united or blended into one; this also extended at right angles. This double leg terminated in a double foot on which were eight toes and two heels.


At birth it weighed about twelve pounds. The mother was healthy, and was not aware of any circumstances to account for the peculiar and, very extraordinary form of the child. From its birth both parts were as healthy as the average infant, although one was somewhat the stronger, and the mother, for lack of sufficient nutriment for both, was obliged to have recourse to the bottle for the stronger one. The parts were named Mina and Minnie, respectively.


The circulation of the blood at the two extremities of this double child was perfectly independent. The pulse at the wrist of one set of arms had, upon examination, been found to beat six beats faster than that of the other, while the prick of a pin or pinch of the shoulders attached to one head was not noticed by the other. Sometimes one was asleep while the other was awake and playing, and again both were asleep.


The appearance of the child was not at all repulsive, as is sometimes the case with monstrosities, but both faces were bright, intelligent and pleasing.


The mother of the child was Ann Eliza FINLEY, born in Champaign county, July 28, 1836; she was a robust woman, quiet and self-possessed in manner. June 6, 1859, she married Joseph FINLEY. He was born in Pennsylvania, August 18, 1824; removed to Ohio in 1845, and in 1862 enlisted in the 96th Ohio Volunteer Infantry and served for three years in the South and Southwest without losing a single day from sickness, absence, or any other cause. Previous to the birth of this remarkable child the parents had two daughters and one son and afterwards a daughter; none of these had anything peculiar in their organization.


About five months after the birth of the child it was taken on a tour for exhibition in the principal cities of the United States. At Philadelphia an examination was made by physicians and surgeons of the Jefferson Medical College and a lecture delivered upon it by Dr. Getchell in the presence of many physicians and scientists.


Dr. H. Besse, of Delaware, Ohio, had charge of the double child, both as business agent and physician, from a short time after its birth until its death, and it is from his very interesting work entitled Diploteratology” that this account is abridged.


The death of the child occurred at Boston, Mass., July 18, 1871, just nine months and six days after its birth.


A few days previous to the death Mina had had a severe attack of cholera infantum, but had partially recovered when Minnie, who had been but slightly affected at the time when Mina was worst, was seized with an attack of vomiting and gradually sank until 7:15 in the evening, when she passed away, and was followed just one hour later by Mina.


A post-mortem examination was held which revealed many wonderful curiosities, both in anatomy and physiology, a full account of which is given in Dr.Besse’s book. The body was for a time preserved in a casket with glass facings, but was afterwards buried.


Page 317


Numerous case of the births of double children have occurred, but none so remarkable in all its conditions as this of Mina and Minnie FINLEY. In most such cases death usually comes a short time after birth and many are still born. Few reach maturity, although there have been instances as the Siamese Twins, the Hungarian Sisters, and Millie and Chrissie Smith, the Carolina Twins, now living at the age of thirty-nine. In every such case the death of on part is followed within a few hours by the death of the other.




A pathetic case of martyrdom in the cause of human liberty was that of Richard DILLINGHAM of Morrow county, as related in the “Reminiscences of Levi Coffin:” He was the son of Quaker parents and himself a consistent member of the Society of ‘Friends. On attaining his majority he engaged in school teaching and held a high reputation for uprightness and fidelity to conscientious principles. In December, 1848, then in Cincinnati, he was earnestly solicited by some colored people to go to Nashville, Tennessee, and bring away their relations who were slaves under a hard master. He undertook the project, but was betrayed by a colored man in whom he confided, was arrested and imprisoned.


While awaiting trial he wrote a very pathetic letter to his betrothed, whom he offered to release from all obligations to him, but she nobly chose to prove her constancy. His trial took place April 13, 1849. After counsel had closed, he rose and in a calm and dignified manner made the following appeal:




By the kind permission of the court, for which I am sincerely thankful, I avail myself of the privilege of adding a few words to the remarks already made by my counsel. And although I stand, by my own confession as a criminal in the eyes of your violated laws, yet, I feel confident that I am addressing those who have hearts to feel, and in meting out the punishment that I am about to suffer I hope you will be lenient for it is a new situation in which I am placed. Never before in the whole course of my life have I been charged with a dishonest act. And, from my childhood, kind parents, whose name I deeply reverence, have instilled into my mind a desire to be virtuous and honorable; and it has ever been my aim so to conduct myself as to merit the confidence and esteem of my fellow-men. But, gentlemen, I have violated your laws. This offence I did commit, and I now stand before you, to my sorrow and regret, as a criminal. But I was prompted to it by feelings of humanity. It has been suspected, as I was informed, that I was leagued with a fraternity who are combined for the purpose of committing such offences as the one with which I am charged. But, gentlemen, the impression is false. I alone am guilty; I alone committed the offence, and I alone must suffer the penalty. My parents, my friends, my relations are as innocent of any participation in or knowledge of my offence as the babe unborn. My parents are still living, though advanced in years, and, in the course of nature, a few more years will terminate their earthly existence. In their old age and infirmity they will need a stay and protection, and if you can consistently with your ideas of justice, make my term of imprisonment a short one, you will receive, the lasting gratitude of a son who reverences his parents and the prayers and blessings of an aged father and mother who love their child.”


This appeal created a great sensation in the court-room and several of the jury wept. They retired and in a few minutes brought in a verdict for three years in the penitentiary, the mildest sentence the law allowed for the offence committed.


In the summer of 1850 the cholera broke out in the penitentiary. DILLINGHAM was untiring in his kinldy ministrations to the sick and dying fellow-prisoners, until one Sabbath morning he was himself attacked, died at noon and was buriend at half-past three the same day.




One of the most extraordinary cases known of memory, united to power of arithmetical calculation, was illustrated by Daniel McCARTHNEY, who resided a large part of his life in this county and then passed his last days in Iowa, where he died in 1887. Our attention was directed to this case by a letter from the venerable Joseph Morris, of the Society of Friends, written from Cardington,”second month, 14th; 1888,” which we subjoin together with the printed account from the Cardington Independent. Who wrote the newspaper article we do not




know. A sister of Mr. McCARTNEY, Mrs. Mary R. STOREY, once lived, and perhaps is yet living, in Iberia.


For many years, writes Friend Morris, I was well acquainted with Daniel McCARTNEY; he has also been at my house. The first time that I remember to have seen this extraordinary man I stepped into a wagon-maker’s shop in Cardington on business and was introduced to Daniel McCARTNEY, and was informed of his remarkable memory and that he could call to mind all that he had seen for twenty years. “Yea,” said he, “longer than that.”


I told him that my wife and I were united in marriage on the 27th of the eleventh month, 1828, nearly twenty years ago. “Please tell me what was the day of the week.” I noticed a thoughtful expression come over his countenance, and then almost immediately the reply came. “Thursday; you Friends call it fifth day.” I asked him to tell how the weather was on that day. He said it was dark and a little stormy, which was the case. He laughed and said we killed a beef that day.


I asked him if he remembered what they had on the table for dinner. He said he did, and mentioned among other things, butter, but said he did not eat any butter, for he was not fond of it. At other times and on other occasions I have heard him answer questions without once giving evidence of being mistaken. I would further add he was a worthy and consistent man, I am directed by J. D. Cog, of Cincinnati, ex-Governor of Ohio, to write to thee on this occasion.

[From the Cardington Independent.]

Daniel McCARTNEY died on the 15th of November, 1887, in Muacatine, Iowa, being a little over seventy years old. In view of the claims of Mr. McCARTNEY and his friends as to his ability to remember the occurrences of each day since he was a boy of ten years, I feel that something more than a passing notice is required. He removed with his father and mother, Robert and Lydia McCARTNEY, when he was sixteen years old, from Washington county, Pa., and settled in Washington township, Morrow county, Ohio.


After living here two years the family went to live in Cardington, the same county, where the father, Robert McCARTNEY, died soon after, leaving his son Daniel to be supported by his relatives, who lived in various parts of the county.


His inability to support himself was caused by his defective vision, and although his sight became so much improved as to enable him to learn to read when he was about forty-two years old, yet it was with such great difficulty that his acquisitions can be said in no way to be due to his reading.


I will give a few extracts from the Journal Speculative Philosophy, written by our State Superintendent, m which he speaks of three several examinations he gave Mr. McCARTNEY. In the first he gave him twenty-four dates belonging to nineteen different years. He gave the days of the week correctly in an average of four seconds, with a description of the weather with the associating circumstances. In the second examination he was given thirty-one dates in twenty-nine different years, for which he gave the days of the week, the weather and associating circumstances. The average time for giving the day of the week was five seconds. In the third examination he repeated the fifty-five dates previously given, to which he gave the same days of the week, the same description of the weather and the same associating circumstances, in some cases adding others.


That the reader may more clearly understand what has just been written, I will give Mr. McCARTNEY’S answer to a question of my own: “Wife and I were married on the 28th day of January, 1836; give the day of the week, the kind of weather, etc.?” He gave answer in a few seconds. “You were married on Thursday, there was snow on the ground, good sleighing and not very cold; father and I were hauling hay; a sole came off the sled, we had to throw the hay off, put a new sole on the sled and load up again before we could go.”


Meeting Mr. McCARTNEY perhaps a dozen of years afterwards, I said to him, you told me the kind of a day I was married on. I looked him in the eye, which was the same as saying, “If your memory is as good as you claim you can repeat what you said on the former occasion.” He replied instantly, “Yes, it was on the 28th day of January, 1836,” and repeated the same story of his father and himself hauling hay, etc. My wife asked, “What kind of a day was the 16th of February, 1837” He instantly threw up his hands and exclaimed, “Oh, how it snowed!” which we knew to be true. At the same time I read (perhaps half a dozen) passages from the Bible, taken at random.” Their exact location, book, chapter and verse were immediately given.


I then gave him a number of mathematical problems, such as to multiply 786 by 392; what is the cube root of 357911, etc.; to all of which he gave answers obtained mentally, and all were correctly given. I will give a few extracts from a committee’s report of he result of an examination held in Columbus, March 29th, 1871, which was sufficient to shake the scepticism as to the correctness of all Mr. McCARTNEY’S claims. The Hon. E. E. White conducted the arithmetical examinations, Rev. Phillips the Biblical examination, and T. C. Mendenhall, of the Columbus high school, attested the accuracy of answers as to the days of the weeks.


One of the arithmetical questions asked was: “What is the cube root of 4,741,625?” to which a correct mental answer was given


Page 321


in a few seconds. Another problem was, “increase 89 to the sixth power;” he gave the answer obtained mentally in ten minutes, 496,984,290,961. The committee concluded their report in these words: “Mr. McCartney’s experiences seem to be ready to appear before him at his bidding in all their original distinctness, which shows clearly that among the prodigies of memory recorded in history in the front rank must be placed Daniel McCARTNEY.”


From the Cleveland Leader of April 19, 1871, I give the following extract: “The exhibition was a most full and unanswerable argument in support of the claim that Daniel McCARTNEY has no peer; his peculiar gifts are more varied and wonderful than any other.”I knew of several attempts to exhibit Mr. McCARTNEY to the public, all of which proved to be failures as far as money-making was concerned. The last attempt knew of was made by a prominent citizen of our own county in the year 1871. When my opinion as to the success of the enterprise was asked. I told the agent that it would be a failure, not from any defects of McCARTNEY in heart or mind, but because the capital he intended to invest was intellectual (the powers of soul; and not physical. I said, if you were showing the double-headed baby the public would be charmed at the sight. No one would be so poor as not to be willing to give his fifty cents. But his prominent traits were those of the mind, which soared so far above the majority of the public as to be lost to their view.


How very few people there are who can realize the powers of a mind that can solve an arithmetical problem in the cube root mentally in a few seconds. Or how few are there who could realize the powers of memory by which Mr. McCARTNEY could summon every prominent act of his life into his presence with all their original distinctness; or how very few there are who could tell whether the statements made by him were true or false. No one could tell unless he had kept a record of the occurrences of days and dates for the last fifty or sixty years. Such a record has been kept by many of our citizens, to whom the majority must look for a knowledge of the facts. In early life Mr. McCARTNEY made a profession of religion by uniting with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and remained a worthy, consistent member to the close of his life.


Morrow claims the honor of being the birthplace of two eminent men, ALBERT P. MOREHOUSE, born in Peru township, and governor of Missouri in 1888, and CALVIN S. BRICE, born in Canaan township. In one sense this is not true, for neither of them were born in the county. Peru, at the time of the birth of the first, was in Delaware county, and Canaan, the birthplace of Mr. BRICE, in Marion county. Morrow county came into existence later than either, and clasped both in her arms as her production.


The father of Mr. MOREHOUSE was at one time county sheriff, and Albert passed his young days at Mount Gilead, in company with Andrew JACKSON Calhoun FOYE, now one of the leading and most enthusiastic spirits of the Ohio Society in New York and they as “boys together had good times.


Mr. BRICE was born in Denmark, Ohio, September 17, 1845. His father was Rev. William K. BRICE, a Presbyterian minister, who came from Maryland in 1840, and settled in the village of Denmark, Canaan township. His mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth STEWART, was from Carroll county, Ohio.


Calvin attended the public schools until September, 1858, when, at the age of thirteen, he entered the preparatory department of Miami University, at Oxford, Ohio.


At fifteen years of age he enlisted in Capt. Dodd’s University company, which, in response to President Lincoln’s call in 1861, offered its services for the suppression of the rebellion. The company was sent to Camp Jackson, Columbus, where he took his first lesson in military discipline. In April, 1862, he was enrolled in the 86th O.V.I. and served, with his regiment, during the summer of that year in West Virginia.


Returning to the university, he completed his course and graduated in June, 1863; then taught school for a brief space at Lima; in the fall of 1864 recruited Company E of the 180th O. V. I. regiment, and as its captain, on the close of the war he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel for meritorious service he being then just of age. In 1866 he graduated at the law school of Ann Arbor University, Michigan, practised law in Ohio until 1870, when he embarked in great railroad enterprises, by which he secured, as is popularly believed, correspondingly large means. Politics also interested him. In 1876 he was one of the Tilden electors for Ohio, and in 1880 one of the Cleveland electors, and had the high honor of being unanimously chosen chairman of the Democratic National Executive Committee, and still higher in 1890 as being elected as Ohio’s successor in the United States Senate to Hon. Henry B. Payne. Mr. BRICE stands high as a man of large capacity in affairs generous in disposition, of singular mental alertness, and electric in action.


Page 322



U. S. Senate.


Page 323


IBERIA is nine miles north of Mount Gilead. It has 1 Methodist Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, and 1 United Presbyterian church and about fifty dwellings.


Before the war Ohio Central College was established here, and its president, Rev. George GORDON, arrested and imprisoned for the violation of the fugitive slave law, as related. The old college building is now used for the “Working Home for the Blind.” This was opened June 20, 1887, with G. C. TRESSEL, of Cleveland, superintendent, with his wife and daughters as assistants. The State supplied the building, shop, and equipments, and it was the hope that it would be self-sustaining without further State aid. It has but few inmates, and the institution is as yet experimental.


CARDINGTON is five miles southwest of Mount Gilead, on the Olentangy, a branch of the Scioto, and on the C. C. C. & I. R. R., forty-one miles north of Columbus.


City officers, 1888: O. P. RUSSELL, Mayor; G. H. RUHLMAN, Clerk; Frank SHAW, Treasurer; I. C. MILLER, Marshal; Robert BENDLE, Street Commissioner. Newspaper: Morrow County Independent, Republican, E. E. NEAL, editor. Churches: one Methodist Episcopal, one Methodist Protestant, one Presbyterian, one Catholic, and one Lutheran. Banks: Cardington Banking Co., Thos. E. DUCAN, president.; W. G. BEATTY, cashier. First National, F. P. HILLS, president, E. J. VAUGHN, cashier.


Manufactures and employees: Cardington Independent, printing, 4 hands; C. KOPPE, whiskey, 2 ; Gray Brothers & Co., machine repairing, 10; Dawson & Wherry, flour and feed, 6; R. T. Mills, flour and feed, 2; N. W. Hartman, feed mills, etc., 10; Hercules Manufacturing Co., wheat scourers, 6; J. S. Peck, furniture, 12.—State Reports. Population, 1880, 1365 School census, 1888, 366; A. L. BANKER, superintendent of schools. Capital invested in manufacturing establishments, $18,000. Value of annual product, $21,000.—Ohio Labor Statistics, 1888.


CENTERVILLE is eight miles southeast of Mt. Gilead. Population, 1880, 266. School census, 1888, 78.


EDISON is two miles west of Mt. Gilead, at the junction of the C. C. C. & I. and T. & O. C. Railroads. It has two churches—one Methodist Episcopal and one Baptist. School census, 1888,152.


SPARTA 18 thirteen miles southeast of Mt. Gilead. Population, 1880, 235. School census, 1888, 100.


MARENGO is ten miles south of Mt. Gilead, on Big Walnut Creek and T. & O. C. R. R. It has one Methodist Episcopal Church. School census, 1888,102.


JOHNSVILLE (P. O. Schanck’s) is ten miles northeast of Mt. Gilead. School census, 1888, 98.



Image button58061219.jpg