In 1888, Newstead,
situated on the Loddon River, and 83 miles by road from Melbourne, was a thriving postal
village which boasted 5 churches, a State School, Post and Telegraph Office, National
Bank, a steam flour mill, a brewery, and a brick yard.
The district was agricultural, pastoral, and mining - alluvial and quartz. The surrounding
country in rangy (quartz with patches of freestone), broken by occasional alluvial flats
(the abode of numerous agriculturists).
Other small settlements close to Newstead
were Sandon, Green Gully and Strangeways.
For interesting reading about Newstead and the surrounding area have a look at:
NEWSTEAD - Some early history by R. A. Bradfield
ISBN 0 9594509 1 2