This web site was last updated
March 22, 2011
Latest news and recent
I have added transcripts of
the birth and death certificates of James Lewis.
Thanks to John and Beryl Norton for allowing me to post
these onto the website.
After discovering the
mistakes relating to the Lewis family in February, I
decided to recheck the birth dates of the other children
of George Lewis and Sarah Frederick. As a
consequence I have made changes to the birth dates of
Mary Ann Lewis and James Lewis.
I believe the incorrect
dates came from the Mutch index which is available on
Microfilm in many local libraries. Generally it is
a reliable source but in this case contained three
errors for this family. I have now gone back to
the primary source, the Microfilm of the original
baptism records which I can access via my local library.
These church records were available for all the children
of this family with the exception of Eliza Lewis.
Her details are only available from the NSW Registry of
Birth Death and marriages due to some of the Microfilms
never having been released for public use. Her
record has been confirmed from an authorised transcript
from the original records.
I hope that there are no
I wish to thank John Norton
for kindly pointing out some errors in these web pages.
They have now been corrected. I had a wrong
birth date for Eliza Lewis and an incorrect location for
her marriage to Samuel Byrnes. I apologise for the
errors and hope that there are no further inaccuracies.
It is some time since I last
made changes to these pages. In the intervening
years I have made some further discoveries. This
has lead me to making changes to the main book files and
also I have added some additional documents to the
The most exciting discovery
has been finding that Sarah Lewis suffered some form of
dementia in her old age. I had been bothered by
the fact that her husband George Lewis had made no
provision for her when he sold his farm to his youngest
son James in 1852. In 2010 correspondence came
to light that tells the story of Sarah in the latter
part of her life. However there is still a mystery
which I hope will be able to be solved. It
concerns the fact that Sarah was found wandering
confused on the Western Road near Parramatta in 1853.
The mystery is what was she
doing at Parramatta? She must have been living
with someone, but who? Were some of her children
living in this area in 1853? If anybody can shed
light on on this mystery I would be very grateful.
I have also taken the
opportunity with this updating of the book to make some
other corrections. The first concerns the name of
Alfred Byrnes. In numerous places throughout the
first edition of the book I had referred to Alfred as
Alfred Roy Byrnes. It is Alfred's son, known by
many as Dave, who is named Alfred Roy Byrnes.
Since Alfred senior's birth certificate has never been found there
has been some uncertainty over his name. However
in every official document that I have been able to
locate he does not have a
middle name recorded. I have edited the second edition
of the book to correct this error.
The second error refers to
the Frederick surname. Once again, in most of the
official documents it is recorded as Frederick although
the "Fredericks" spelling is used occasionally. I
have changed the spelling in the second edition to
Frederick except when it was written as Fredericks in
documents that I have transcribed.
I have in recent weeks been
fixing up my referencing for the book files and I have
also been keeping my eyes open for any new information.
I have made some new discoveries relating to the family
of George Lewis. Two documents relating to land
transactions involving George Lewis have come to my
attention and also an incident with the law involving
one of George's daughters Elizabeth (Betsey) Lewis.
I discovered the latter while I was following up on some
letters written by Betsey's uncle Thomas Sims.
I would like to acknowledge
the assistance of Gail Davis from the State Records of
NSW for her assistance in referencing sources
originating from that office. She patiently
corrected my attempts at referencing and supplied me
with the correct NRS numbers for items, which in my
ignorance, I had never realised I should have been
Lyn Thomson from the NSW
Department of Lands also provided assistance with
correct referencing for the numerous Department of Lands
documents that I have used in these files.
I have started on uploading
the files to the web site. This process is a real
learning curve. I won't notify people that the
site is running until I am happy with it.