~ MISCELLANEOUS FAMILIES ~
~ AMES/EAMES ~
Thomas Eames, brickmaker and Mason, b. Eng. about 1618, came from Stratford-on-Avon, Eng., 1630, resided at Dedham, MA., 1630. Afterwards at Medford, Cambridge, Sudbury, and what is now Framingham, MA.
"Directory of Ancestral Heads of New England Families 1620-1700" by Frank Holmes.
EAMES GRANTS, Framingham -Thomas Eames obtained considerable grants in the S. part of the present territory of this town. At a Court held at Nonantum, Jan. 21,1676, the Natick Indians granted him " a parcel of land now belonging to Natick, that is encompassed by the hands of Mr. Thomas Danforth, Goodman Death and John Steno." his grant, consisting of 200 acres, was confirmed to him by the General Court in 1679, and an Indian Deed of the same executed in 1695. In 1679 the inhabitants of Sherborn voted to Thomas Eames, "for building the Meeting llotcse, to have the corner of the town where he lives." In 1677, upon his application to the General Court for relief, on the occasion of the destruction of his property by the Indians, ho obtained a grant of 200 acres of land, "to be'laid out in any free place not prejudicing the laying out of a plantation."
The formidable combination under King Philip, spread consternation through the colonies of Plymouth and Massachusetts, and threatened a general ruin of the whites. The designs of that crafty chieftain had been suspected as early as 1671, which led to the dangerous expedient of a general disarming of the Indians, The first act in the tragic war which followed, was the attack upon the people of Swanzey, June 21, 1675. Others succeeded in various places, until the memorable Narraganset fight, on the 19th Dec. 1675, upon the issue of which, Philip retired into the western parts of Massachusetts.
A few weeks after that event, occurred the incident we are now to relate." " 'Thomas Eames, who a few years before had leased the "Pelham Farm," at Sudbury, settled, near 1670, within the bounds of the Plantation of Framingham. He built his house on the southern slope of Mount Wayte, between the Sudbury river and Farm pond, at a distance of about seven miles S. W. from the ancient town of Sudbury, and about three miles E. from the Indian town of Magunkook. A partial depression of the surface, with the surrounding apple trees, still indicate the spot, which is upon the farm of Mr. Harrison Eames. His family consisted, at the time now referred to, of a wife and nine children. "On the 1st of February, (some accounts say the 2d,) 1675-6, during the absence of the father, who bad gone to Boston to obtain a supply of ammunition, a party of about 12 Indians, led by Netus, approached the house, one of them remaining in the corn-fields at a distance, probably as a watch.
Tradition states that two of the children were surprised at the well, and seized ; and that the mother, who had resolved never to be taken alive, made a brave resistance, and being employed at the time in making soap, poured upon the assailants the boiling fluid. The Indians soon succeeded in firing the house, and either killed or took captive the entire family; at the same time destroying the barn, with the cattle and stores.
Of the exact numbers killed and taken captive, the accounts are contradictory and irreconcilable." The nearest estimate we can form is, that of the ten members of the family, the wife and three or four of the children were killed, hull the rest carried into captivity. Hubbard notices, that the wife of Eames' son died the following day, having, as another account says, been obviously tomahawked and scalped. Of this statement we have found no confirmation. Tradition informs us that the captives were first taken in the direction of Lancaster, and that one of the sons was present at the attack upon the garrison of Sudlbury, the following April.1. It was probably the same son, who, in the spring following his capture, succeeded in making his escape. Having been early instructed, if such an event, to go in the direction of the rising sun, after a hold and perilous journey of some 30 miles in the wilderness, they reached in safety an English settlement; an act of singular courage in a boy of eleven or twelve years.*
*NOTE: " Drake quotes two authorities, one of which gives seven as killed, and two children taken; the other, "they killed seven people in a barbarous manner, and carried some away captive." Drake himself says, without giving his authority", "in all, seven persons were killed or fell into the hands" of the Indians. According to Hubburd, " Mr. Eames's wife was killed and his children carried captive," and he adds that "the next day his son's wife died." The Indian deed to the sons of Eames, they "killed his will, and three children, still captivated five more, whereof only three returned who are now dwelling on the said (Eames') lands." The sons in their own petition to the Gen. Court, represent, that " they slew his wife and five children, and four only they took into captivity returned." 'The facts known are as follows: Eames, in his inventory detailing his losses states his family to have consisted of "a wife and little children." As his oldest son, John, was probably living at Watertown, it is to be presumed that he was not included in the family. His wife having had children by her first husband, it is probable that some of them lived with her. There is no reason for supposing, that any of the family escaped death or captivity. The whole number then killed and taken captive was probably ten. Of this number three only of the children can he accounted for, viz. Samuell, Margaret and Nathaniel, all of whom returned, sand were subsequently married. According to the confessions of the Indians there were two daughters among the captives. It is certain therefore that us many as four captives were carried away. As it is probable, moreover, that not until the captives ultimately returned, the (rest conjecture we men form is, that four or five, including the wife, were killed, and the rest taken captive, of whom three returned. As the sons of Eames who returned were quite young at the time of their captivity, and as there is reason to believe, that the captives were separated soon after the catastrophe occurred, like discrepancy in the different statements in which they were parties, is less surprising.
He is said to have reported, that the Indians suffered severely by the fire from the garrison and that an aged squaw lost six sons, all of where were brave and distinguished warriors.
The following inventory exhibits the particulars of the loss sustained by Mr. Eames.
An inventory of the loss of Thomas Eames, when his house was fired by Indians at Framingham near unto Sudbury, in the County of Middlesex, the first of February, 1675-6.
Imprimis -A wife and nine children.
Item A house 34 feet long, double floores, and garret, and cellar, and a barn 52 foot long, lengthened one side and two ends, - - £100.00 00
It. 4 oxen, - - - 024.00 00
It. 7 cows, They with calf, - - - 028.00 00
It. 2 yearings, - 003.00 00
It. 1 bull, - 002.00 00
It. 2 heifers, fair with calf, . 006.00 00
It. 1 heifer, - - - - - 012.00 00
It. 8 sheep, fair with lamb, - 003.12 00
It. 30 loads of hay in ye barn at 8s. per load, - 012.00 00
It. 10 bush. wheate, at 6s. p. bush. - - 013.00 00
It. 40 bush. rye, at 4s. 8d. p. bush. - - 008.00 00
It. 210 bush. of indiun, at 3s. p. bush. - 031.00 00
It . Hemp and flux, in ye barns, - 001.00 00
It. Fire arms, with other arms and ammunition, - 006.00 00
It. Butter 20s., cheese 40s.,2 barrels and a half of
Pork, and 4 flitches of bacon 10 pound . - - 013.00 00
It. Carpenter's and joyner's toules, - - - 005.00 00
It. 2 great spinning wheeles and 2 small wheeles,
4s., 4 for carts. 001.00 00
It. 6 beds, 3 of them feather beds, and 3 flock, 6 Ruggs,
12 blankets, . 005.00 00
It. 1 chest of lynen with ye sheets and shifts, - 010.00 00
It. _A livery cupboard with what was in it, . 002.00 00
It. My wife's lynen and wearing apparel, and
children's cloathing, und-my own cluathing,
with clothing that was my former wife's, - - - 025.00 00
It. Pewter, brasse, and Iron ware, - - 014.00 00
It. Churns and other dairy vessells, with other
wooden lumber, - - 005.00 00
Total, 330.12 00
A GENEALOGICAL DICTIONARY of THE FIRST SETTLERS OF NEW ENGLAND, SHOWING THREE GENERATIONS OF THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE MAY, 1692
ON THE BASIS OF FARMER'S REGISTER.
BY JAMES SAVAGE, published 1860
~ EAMES, or EMMES ~
ANTHONY, Charlestown 1634, Hingham 1636, freeman 9 Mar. 1637, representative that year and the following and 1643, was lieutenant and about his choice as captain grew the fierce controversy that long convuls. the col. He removed to Marshfield and was representative in Plymouth Colony most of the time between 1653 and 1661 inclusive and perhaps was father of John, who died at Hingham 1641, and of Mark. His daughter Margery married 20 Oct. 1653, John Jacobs.
ANTHONY, Marshfield, may be grandson of the preceding married 2 Dec. 1686, Mercy Sawyer.
DANIEL, Andover, s. of Robert, married 25 Apr. 1683, Lydia Wheeler, perhaps was of Boxford 1692.
GERSHOM, Marlborough, by wife Hannah had Hannah, born 1671, and Mary, posthumously 1677; and he died at Watertown, 25 Nov. 1676. His widow who was daughter of Solomon Johnson, married 4 or 6 Sept. 1679, William Ward of Marlborough In Genealogical Register VIII. 240, it is Heames.
HENRY, Boston, messenger of the Gen. Court, freeman 1684, by wife Elizabeth had William, born 1674; John; Mary; Benjamin; Henry; Samuel; Nathaniel, baptized 12 Oct. 1690; and Elizabeth 7 Apr. 1695.
JOHN, Woburn, married 18 Mar. 1650, Martha, perhaps daughter of Captain Edward Johnson, had Mary, born 3 Feb. 1650; and prob. removed.
JOHN, Watertown, son of Thomas, by wife Mary, daughter of John Adams of Cambridge, who died 3 Apr. 1681, had Margaret, born Oct. 1676, died soon; Ann; removed to Sherborn, that part now Framingham, there had Martha, born 28 Feb. 1679. He took second wife Elizabeth in May 1682, had Priscilla, born 2 Feb. 1683; Elizabeth 11 Apr. 1685; John, 10 Jan. 1687; Thomas, 22 July 1694; Mary, 4 Jan. 1697; Henry, 28 Apr. 1698 and Abigail, 9 Mar. 1705. His will was of 18 May 1727; his w. died 26 June following but he lived to 14 Dec. 1733.
JONATHAN, Marshfield, perhaps son of the first Anthony, more prob. his grandson and son of Mark, married 11 Jan. 1682, or 3, Hannah Truant, died 31 May 1724 in 69th year.
JUSTUS, Marshfield, perhaps s. of Anthony, married 20 May 1661, Mehitable Chillingworth, perhaps daughter of Thomas.
MARK, Marshfield, probably son of Anthony, born in England went with wife Elizabeth from Hingham, where his son John was born 6 Sept. 1649, and perhaps Jonathan, about 1656; was representative 1662 and 14 years out of 20 after.
NATHANIEL Sherborn, son of Thomas, by wife Ann had Lydia, born 10 Dec. 1694; Rebecca, 25 July 1697; and William.
RICHARD, Rowley 1680.
ROBERT, Woburn, had been of Charlestown 1651, had wife Elizabeth and child Samuel, born 7 Apr. 1653, died soon; John, 1654, died very soon; Elizabeth 4 June 1659; Mary, 11 June 1661; Priscilla, 2 May 1663; Samuel, again, 2 Sept. 1664; Abigail, 22 Sept. 1666; and John, again, 9 May 1668. I suppose he removed to Chelmsford, in the part called Dracut, and died 25 Apr. 1671. His will, made 3 days before names brother John, and cousin Richard, son of sister Dorothy Newman of Farnham in Co. Surrey, and adds no more to our knowledge. Barry, 227, says, the widow Elizabeth married Capt. William Bond; but I doubt it. A Margery E. perhaps his sister was administrator of Charlestown church 1635.
ROBERT, Andover, by wife Rebecca had Hannah, born 1661, who married Ephraim Foster; Daniel, 1663; Robert, 1667; John, 1670; Dorothy, 1674; Jacob, 1677; Joseph, 1681; and Nathan, 1685. Commonly this family has spelt the name Ames. Perhaps Benjamin, H. C. 1803 was descendant.
SAMUEL, Sherborn, son of Thomas, married 21 Apr. 1698, Patience, daughter of Joseph Twitchell of the same, had Gershom, born 29 Dec. following.
THOMAS, Dedham, by wife Margaret had John, born 6 Oct. 1642 ; Mary, 24 May 1 645; and probably other children ; John, whose death 17 Sept. 1641 is there recorded was his son born 16 May preceding His wife died and he removed to Cambridge, married about 1662, Mary, widow of Jonathan Paddleford, had Thomas, baptized 12 July 1663; removed to Sudbury, freeman 1665, there had Samuel, born 15 Jan. 1665; Margaret, 8 July 1666; Nathaniel, 30 Dec. 1668; removed to Sherborn, the part which became Framingham, had Sarah, 3 Oct. 1670; and Lydia, 29 June 1672. He died 25 Jan. 1680, having on 1 Feb. 1676 suffered by Indians burning his buildings killed his wife and some children carrying others captives. His daughter Margaret, who had been at 10 years taken by the Indians married 21 Feb. 1688, Joseph Adams.
Six of this name had been gr. at N. E. coll. in 1831, one half at Harvard of who Rev. Jonathan, H. C. 1752, was minister of Newtown, N. H. Sometimes the spell. is Emes.
~ AMSDEN ~
A GENEALOGICAL DICTIONARY of THE FIRST SETTLERS OF NEW ENGLAND, SHOWING THREE GENERATIONS OF THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE MAY, 1692
ON THE BASIS OF FARMER'S REGISTER.
BY JAMES SAVAGE, published 1860
ISAAC, Cambridge, married 8 June 1654, Frances Perriman, whose father is unknown had Isaac, born 1656; and Jacob, 17 November 1657; both baptized 3 November 1661, the mother being administrator of the children few days before and he died 7 April 1659, if we take Harris's Pit. 169, for conclusive; but we might judge from Provisional records where mention of adminstration given 25 June 1661, to his widow that he had died only 19 days before. The widow married 14 February 1663, Richard Cutter.
ISAAC, Cambridge, son of the preceding married 17 May 1677, Jane Rutter, perhaps daughter of John of Sudbury, had Elizabeth born. 3 February followed by Isaac, 29 August 1680; John 28 December 1685; Thomas, 9 January 1687; Jacob, 29 February 1688; and Abraham 15 October 1692, as supplied. by a scrupulous writer in General. Reg. XV. 21, though. I feel compel to change an impossible date.
JACOB, Cambridge, son of Isaac the first, died 11 June 1701, as we learn from Harris, 29, and any thing, else is learned from nobody.
JOHN, Hatfield, perhaps son of the first Isaac by a wife before. Frances, or even before he settled. at Cambridge, or came from England there this man lived ten years. but at Hatfield he died 1696, leaving. John and Isaac, of which the latter died young, and the former resided. at Deerfield, where he was drown. 1742, and two of his sons were killed by the Indians 1746. Descendants may be found there. Matchless Mitchell spells the name Embsden.
The following come from various sources
Isaac Amsden, son of Isaac Amsden of Cambridge. He was the proprietor of the Ockoocangansett purchase in 1684. He was in Marlborough some years prior and married Jane Rutter of Sudbury. They had six children.
Isaac Amsden, son of Isaac and Jane, was a prominent citizen and held his Majesty’s commision as Captain. His house was one of the Garrisons in 1711. He married first Zipporah Beaman, he married second Mary Martin and he married third Hannah Francis of Medford. Isaac and Zipporah had three children.
Thomas Amsden, son of Isaac and Jane, was a commisioned officer in a military company of which he commanded. He married Eunice Howe and they had three children prior to heer death in 1725.
~ ARNOLD ~
Joseph Arnold, came to Marlborough in 1762 to reside with Mary Sherman the widow of John Sherman. He was a 2nd Lieutenant in Captain William Morse's 8th Company, Colonel Ezekiel How's 4th Middlesex Co. Regiment.; he was on the list of officers of the Massachusetts Militia; commissioned July 5, 1776. He was also, 1st Lieutenant, 8th Company, Colonel Cyprian Howe's 4th Middlesex Co., Regiment.; and on the list of officers of Massachusetts Militia; commissioned May 4, 1780.
William Arnold resided on the "great road" at that time the next to the Gibbon house. William was the old-time, well respected blacksmith, and his shop stood near by where Winthrop street, named for his son Winthrop who carried on the old homestead and trade, has since been opened. There were in those days but three blacksmiths in the town - Mr. Peters at the east part near the now City Farm, and his brother who had a shop at Feltonville, close by the grist mill. In early days the blacksmith had to manufacture all of his horse and ox shoes, bolts, nuts, etc. From the 20th of September to the 20th of March, the smith as well as his journeymen and apprentices were expected to work evenings, and from daylight to nine o'clock in the evening made a long day. The rest of the year they worked from sunrise until dark. Mr. Arnold was a hard working man who became "well off." The Arnold blacksmith shop was always very attractive with its bright fires, the sparks flying froth the chimney and the sounds of busy life within. In the winter season when there were many oxen to be shod, every farmer was obliged to wait his turn and make appointment for days in advance. Mr. Arnold belonged to the West Church where he and his family were constant attendants. One day while listening to a sermon he was stricken with apoplexy from which he never recovered.
William Arnold married in 1790 Polly Rice. At her death he married Relief Rice and at her death he married Susanna Gates. His children were Willard, Stephen, Polly, Caroline, Winthrop. The latter married first Sophia Barnes and second Evalina Howe, daughter of Moses Howe, among whose children we find Lucy who married Edmund S. Hallett of Sussex, N. B. and they had Annie L. who married Charles Ladd, S. Gertrude who married Fred A. Este, Eva who married the late Edward Carl Nelson of Isarlsrona, Sweden, Ethel who married Howard Brigham, son of Eugene and Annie Cotting Brigham, Jackson who married Lucy Barnes and had William, Arnold, Fannie and Loren.
Loren Arnold, before coming to Marlborough lived with his guardian, Peter Fay, of Southborough. Loren married Morgiana Sawyer. Their children were Cora who married Charles W. Curtis, son of Deacon John E. Curtis and had Roger A., Arnold S., John A., Charles W., Jr., India who married Louis Howe, son of S. Herbert and Harriet Brigham Howe. At death of his first wife, Loren married Clara Hastings.
Members of the Christian Science Society lately purchased this fine site for their church which it is hoped will be erected in the near future. This Society was organized September 15, 1895, meeting first in the parlors of Mrs. P. R. Clough. Later, the G. A. R. Hall was obtained, where they still meet for services Sunday and Wednesday evenings. The church was organized April 8th, 18913, and the above place purchased August 23, 1891.
~ BAKER ~
John Baker, son of Robert and Lydia, , was a Private in Captain Daniel Barns's Company which marched on the alarm; he enlisted into the army April 26, 1775.
Joseph Baker, son of Robert and Lydia, was a Private in Captain Cyprian Howe's Company, Colonel Jonathan Ward's Regiment, which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775 to Cambridge. He was also in Captain Cranson's Company, Colonel Whitcomb's Regiment at Prospect Hill, Oct. 6, 1775.
Silas Baker, son of Robert and Lydia, enlisted from Marlborough, Middlesex Co. for the term of 9 months from the time of his arrival at Fishkill, July 5, 1778 He was in Captain Cranson's Company, Colonel Howe's Regiment. He is described as being age, 19 years of age, stature, 5 ft. 5 in.; complexion, light and a residence of Marlborough. He was also at Fort Arnold, July 3, 1778. He was a Private in Captain Amasa Cranston's Company, Colonel Samuel Denny's Regiment on Nov. 3, 1779 at Claverack. He re-enlisted April 15, 1781 for 3 years and at this time of enlistment, he was described as being age, 22 years, stature, 5 ft. 71/2 in.; complexion, light; eyes, blue; hair, brown and his occupation was a farmer and a resident of Marlborough.
Stephen Baker, son of Robert and Lydia, from a list of Marlborough men raised to reinforce Continental Army for the term of 6 months on June 5, 1780. He was described as age, 19 years.; stature, 5 ft. 6 in.; complexion, light; residence, Marlborough. He arrived at Springfield July 13, 1780; marched to camp July 13, 1780, under command of Captain Thomas Pritchard. He was also a Private in Captain William Hull's Company, Colonel John Greaton's (3d) Regiment.
Thomas Baker, son of Robert and Lydia, was a Private in Captain William Morse's Company of volunteers, Colonel Jonathan Read's Regiment. He enlisted Oct. 2, 1777 and was discharged Nov. 8, 1777. He was also a Sergent in Colonel John Jacobs's Regiment which marched on an alarm at Rhode Island Oct. 17, 1778.
Timothy Baker, son of Joseph and Esther, was a Private in Captain William Brigham's Company, Colonel Jonathan Ward's Regiment, which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775, to Cambridge.
~ BANNISTER ~
Christopher Bannister,born about 1636 in Branbury, Oxford England was a carpenter and one of the proprietors of Marlborough in 1657 and signed the first order passed by the town after it's incorporation. He received his share in the first division of lots in 1660, and the year following, engaged with Obidiah Ward and Richard Barnes to erect a frame for a house for Mr. Brimsmead, their Minister. His house lot was bounded on the east by the Indian planting field, on the north by the house lot of John Barrett, and on the south by house lot of John Ruddocke. His property was located in the area now known as Hudson, Massachusetts. He died March 30, 1678 aged about 42. He married Jane Goodnow and they had four children. John Bannister, first born of Christopher and Jane; he d July 19, 1730 aged 60. He was a Lieutenent in the Army. His wife Ruth Eager was the daughter of William and Ruth (Hill) Eager; d Dec 25, 1767, in the 90th year of her age. Joseph Bannister, was a wheelwright; he received a grant of 40 acres in Brookfield which he traded with Henry Taylor in 1703 for another tract of 25 acres and a dwelling house. The house and lot was situated about a mile east of the present village of Brookfield. In 1714 he received a grant on the south side of the Quabog River where his descendants afterwards settled. He owned grants of about 200 acres.
~ BARBER ~
Ephraim Barber, was in six months service from the town of marlborough in 1775. He married October 11, 1781 Elizabeth Crosby. They had William born September 26, 1782 who married Polly Manson; Jonathan born January 25, 1786, he married April 6, 1809 Achsah Howe and Elizabeth born February 19, 1789, she married 1808 Nathaniel Hapgood. Ephraim represented the town in the General Court in 1810 and 1811. He died November 14, 1817 in his 70th year.
E. Barber home on Lakeside Ave. near where the hot dog truck sets. It is gone
On Lakeside Ave. once stood the home of Ephraime Barber, the old brass clock maker. No better eight day clock were ever manufactured and even in 1910 they stood ticking all over the country. One of Marlborough's citizens journeyed to England and stepped into an old hostelry and much to his surpise and and pleasure before him ticking an old grandfathers clock "made by Ephraime Barber, Marlborough, New England.
Ephraime was a gunsmith in the employ of the government for many years and a most skillfull workman. He was a great hunter, always carrying a rifle of his own manufacture; also a good pedestrian making nothing of walking to and from Boston. At one time he was representativeto the General Court.
Eccentric in conversation but most honest and upright. He kept no horse arid was one day carried' by a friend to a neighboring farmer to buy some rye. "Come, Mr. Barber, come out to the barn to see, it measured." "No," was the reply, rye is measured in Heaven.". He once owned a woodlot and arranged with Gilbert Howe, another honest old- man; to let the latter cut- his fire wood from this lot, and as partial return Mr: Howe was to pasture Mr. Barber's cow. After the various dicker accounts between these two men had run on for years, they met one day upon the street. Mr. Barber said, "How do we stand?" "I don't know," said Mr. Howe, "do you?" "No. Have you had what you want?" "Yes. Have you?" "Yes." "Call it square." "Agreed."
When "Bowkers Hill", now known as Sligo Hill, was sold; Ephraime Barber bought a portion of the higest point and used to say he "could get as near to Heaven as any person on his own land".
William Barber, Williams wife Polly is buried in Brigham Cemetery, she died September 18, 1815 at age 33 years and 10 months. Williams grave stone is missing.
~ BRUCE ~
Thomas Bruce, born about. 1630, died in Marlborough, MA between 1714 and 1721, m. MAGDALEN ____, d. after 1706. He was an early resident of Sudbury and Marlborough in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Much of what is known about him comes from land deeds of Middlesex County. He was a farmer and miller and had a wife Magdalen and sons David and Roger and probably Thomas. The earliest record of him is a list of inhabitants of Sudbury, dated April 21, 1676, who sustained monetary losses during King Phillip's War. Thomas' loss was given as ten pounds. He was still residing in Sudbury three years later when the Selectmen of Marlboro on June 9, 1679 agreed with Thomas Bruce that he would build and operate for the town's use a mill to be located near the junction of Angle Brook and Stoney Brook to be in operation by January 1680 "if God permit". In return the town granted Thomas forty acres of land and ten acres of meadow.
The house lot of forty acres that Thomas received was described as being on the north side of Stoney Brook and, included within its western part, a portion of Angle Brook. The exact location would be difficult to determine today, since that area was flooded in 1898 under the Sudbury Reservoir; by the original agreement, the land was to revert to the town if Thomas were to cease operation of the mill for any reason except beyond his control. By 1702, however, the mill was at least partially destroyed making difficult his compliance with the agreement, and he requested, and "it was so voted that he be aquited from any further engagement" and the land was granted to him free and clear.
~ EAMES ~
Robert Eames, served as a minute man from Marlboro in Captain Daniel Barns' Company, Col. Jonathan Ward's Regiment, 1775.
Robert Eames, son of Robert and Anna, was a Private in Captain Daniel Barns's Company, which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775. A certificate dated Cambridge, June 18, 1775, signed by Capt. Daniel Barns, stating that said Eames and others in his company were in need of cartridge boxes.
Samuel Eames, son of Robert and Anna, was a Private in Captain William Brigham's Company, Colonel Jonathan Ward's Regiment, which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775, to Cambridge.
Aaron Eames, son of Robert and Lydia (Harrington) Eames, was a Private, Capt. Silas Gates's Company; he enlisted Dec. 4, 1775. He was also in Captain Gates's Company, Colonel Ward's Regiment; in Dorchester, on Jan. 13, 1776; also, Captain William Morse's Company of volunteers, Colonel Jonathan Read's Regiment which engaged Oct. 2, 1777 and discharged Nov. 8, 1777; the company marched from Marlborough to assist army under Gen. Gates.
Back to Listing