Stories, Myths, etc.
The Hurtubise Heredity
Stories, Myths, Folklore

This page contains various stories, myths and folklore that we can find documented. Some may be factual, some may be semi-factual, or some may be just a garbled family history.

Alphonse Hurtubise [1860 - 1939]

Alphonse Hurtubise was born in 1860 at St-Agathe, P.Q. In 1908, he ventured west with his son, Octave. He worked in Regina during threshing season, and then west to Alberta, to work in the fields. In 1909, April 10, Alphonse took a homestead 6 miles north-west of St-Paul-des-Métis village. After he built a "shack", her returned to Otter Lake, P.Q. to get his family; his wife, Enrélie (Tanguay) and eight children. The family arrived at the homestead on April 10, 1910. From their marriage, 15 children were born, of which only 9 are living.
After the sudden death of his wife, Enrélie, in 1913, Alphonse's life was not an easy one. Alphonse passed away in 1939. He was a bachelor for 26 years, was married for 26 years and was a widower for 26 years.
Source: Suzanne Hurtubise.
Submitted by: Alice-Ann Hopkins.

The Farewell Ring

An heirloom, we call "The Farewell Ring", originated in the Hurtubise family, and still remains with the descendants. A brilliant diamond solitaire of 1.6 carats, it traditionally passes to the last survivor of this branch of the family in each generation. Unfortunately the name of the person who first acquired this gem is unknown.
Source: The Ancestors of Marie Rose Etta Hurtubise
Author: Unknown, copied from a document at the Salle Gagnon, Montreal Public Library

Jean-Baptiste Hurtubise [1844 - 1912]

Jean-Baptiste Hurtubise, born at Vaudreuil, moved to Huntingdon as a child, where he apprenticed as a printer. He worked at Watertown (Wisc.) for a time, then settled at Lowell, Mass., where he married in 1869. He was proprietor of a daily publication "L'Abeille" (The Bee), first issued 31 December, 1880. It was later sold to La Campagnie d'Imrimerie Canadienne Française de Lowell. In 1903, he came to Winnipeg and was engaged as a printer. He died in 1912. Burial took place in the family plot at Lowell. His mother lived in Janesville (Wisc.)at the time of his death.
Source: The Ancestors of Marie Rose Etta Hurtubise
Author: Unknown, copied from a document at the Salle Gagnon, Montreal Public Library

Marie-Anne Rose-Etta Hurtubise [1885 - 1948]

Rose-Etta Hurtubise and George Lacroix were married 1 March, 1809 at Star City, Saskatchewan. It appears that her parents had some reservations about George, who could not speak French, and whose ancestors were fur traders in the earlier years, out of Sarnia (Ont.) They were evidently not convinced that he was rhe right husband for Rose-Etta, among whose ancestors are numerous substantial members of the early French arrivals in Quebec. Rose apparently was of a different opinion and the matter was settled when she ran off to Saskatchewan to be married! In 1904, George had qualified himself as a druggist in Winnipeg and, no doubt, this where he met his future wife. In 1905, he established a business at Tisdale, Saskatchewan, which developed successfully and this store still bears his name (1976), although under different ownership.
Source: The Ancestors of Marie Rose Etta Hurtubise
Author: Unknown, copied from a document at the Salle Gagnon, Montreal Public Library

Romeo Hurtubise

Romeo Hurtubise came from Burke, Idaho, and homesteaded in Happy Valley in 1907 where he and a partner, Herman Lanthier, started a small home ranch.
In 1908 Romeo went down east to visit his ailing mother and was married before returning to Alberta and Happy Valley. His bride from Montreal could not accept life in a log shack with poles under the mattresses and with apple boxes serving as cupboards and chairs, not to mention, living among the English-speaking. Hence, Romeo sold out here and bought the Alexander Ross place, eight miles from Nanton, where they had to cope with severe winters and a prairie fire.
One daughter was born before they sold out and moved to Legal, Alberta, where they raised a large family.
Romeo Hurtubise died in 1959 and his wife remarried in 1965. She and her husband, George Dupuy, of Quebec lived in an Edmonton Nursing Home for some years.
Source: Butte Stands on Guard: Stavely & District, p.262
Author: Unknown, copied from a document in "Our future, Our past"

[Top of Page]  


Gen 1 » 9

Nav Bar
New Tree