Ireland List - Member's Responses

The Ireland List
Member's Responses

Member's Responses

The Members of the Ireland List are an invaluable source of information for the many questions which arise on the list. Below are a few samplings of some of their comments to questions:

How do I find Townlands and Parished in Ireland?

These searches allow you to locate any townland, parish or village in each of Ireland's thirty-two counties. can get to the parish but not the townland.

Global Gazetteer is a directory of 2880532 of the world's cities and towns, sorted by country and linked to a map for each town. A tab separated list is available for each country.

Then, consult Lewis' Topographical Dictionary for a narrative description of the parish at the time of Griffith's Valuation.


What is the Tithe Appointment Book?

The original Tithe Books for the 26 counties of the Republic of Ireland are available in the Family History Library Catalog. Tithe books act as census substitutes in rural Ireland. In many cases, the Tithe is the last official record of those who emigrated in the Great Famine. The Composition Act of 1823 changed the method of paying the tithes levied to support the Established Church. Previously, payment in kind was accepted but now money became the method of exchange. As a result, a new valuation of the entire country was taken for each parish to determine the amount of tax each landholder was owed. This continued for fifteen years until tithes were abolished in 1838. The information is quite sparse, consisting of townland name, landholder's name, area of land, and tithes payable. The original Tithe Books are available in the National Archives of Ireland and 140 reels of microfilm copies are in the National Library of Ireland and the Family History Library (LDS).


  1. Ireland - Land and property
  2. Ireland - Land and property - Indexes

Also, to read more about Tithe Applotment Books, go to

The National Library of Ireland


What is Griffith's Valuation?

See Griffith's Valuation Page for details and related WEB Sites.

Where can I get help with Immigration and Naturalization?





About the Declaration of Intent?

One of the questions asked on the Declaration of Intention is "Under what name did you enter?" My husband's family all had different names on the passenger list than the names we knew. However, each D of I had the original name. One of the family stories is of a cousin's mother. She entered on another woman's papers. The original woman was 32 and decided not to go to America. The ticket was used by a 16 year old. He has no idea of the name on the ticket and passenger list. We will never know!


Where can I find Military Records in the US?

Two answers arose out of his one, and both deserves being shown here. :)

NARA holds the military records from the Revolution to the Spanish-American War. WWI and WWII are at:

The National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
The National Personnel Records Center


This is the second response.

According to NARA, on the back of the Standard Form 180: Under the heading of Location of Military Records: ( using pdf ) Paragraph 4 states: "Service Completed before World War I - The oldest records pertaining to military service veterans are at the National Archives, for service that was completed before the following dates:

  • ARMY -- enlisted, 11/1/1912, officer, 7/1/1917;
  • NAVY -- enlisted, 1/1/1886, officer, 1/1/1903;
  • MARINE CORPS -- 1/1/1905;
  • COAST GUARD -- 1/1/1898.

National Archives Trust Fund (NATF) forms must be used to request these records. Obtain the forms by e-mail from [email protected] or write to the Code 6 address."

Code 6 address is:
National Archives & Records Admin.
Old Military and Civil Records
(NWCTB- Military), Textual Services Division
700 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Washington, DC 20408-0001

But I even have some better news; Without a doubt this paragraph says it all, visit:

Prologue: Quarterly of the National Archives and Records Administration Spring 1998, vol. 30, no. 1

This prologue is quite long (in 2 parts) but is FULL of information!

"With a few significant exceptions, the process of locating records of Spanish-American War veterans is similar to that for Civil War veterans. The best place to start is with National Archives Microfilm Publication T288, General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934. Pension records were carefully compiled when a veteran applied for benefits on grounds of injury, illness, or disability (later, veterans could also receive benefits based on age) or when the mothers, fathers, widows, and minor children of veterans similarly applied for benefits. Pension records typically include the application forms, proof of marriage, proof of children's births, a summary of military service, and usually death certificates. If you want to check if your great-grandfather served in the Spanish-American War and the only information you have is his name, you may be able to use the pension index to learn his branch of service, rank, and military organization. The pension index includes veterans who served in the regular army, state volunteers who were called into federal service, U.S. volunteers (e.g., Rough Riders), regular U.S. Navy, temporary naval personnel, naval militia, U.S. Coast Signal Service, and U.S. Marine Corps."

Hope this helps!

J Russell White

Other Tips: About Mass Cards.

I've discovered a collection of mass cards received by my husband throughout the years, from Ireland, England and Canada.

Thought I would suggest that these are excellent source of genealogical information, as names, age & sometimes birthdate, where interred, church, relatives, dates etc. are mentioned. I've been able to trace several family members from this information. (Almost as good as finding the tombstone!)

Best wishes,
Emma/Waterloo, Ontario.

Back to the Index Page

Back to the Newby's Page