Parish of Fertiana

Parish of Knockgraffon

Cahir 1837
a market and post-town, and a parish, in the barony of Iffa and Offa West, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 7 3/4 miles W.N.W. from Clonmel, and 87 1/2 S.W. by S. from Dublin; containing 8462 inhabitants, of which number, 3408 are in the town. This place is situated on the river Suir, and at the junction of the mail coach roads leading respectively from Waterford to Limerick, and from Cork, by way of Cashel, to Dublin. the town is of remote antiquity, and appears to have attained a considerable degree of importance at a very early period. A castle was built here prior to the year 1142, by Connor, King of Thomond and Monarch of Ireland; and, in the reign of John, Geoffry de Camvill founded a priory to the honor of the Blessed Virgin, for Canons Regular of the order of St. Augustin, which continued to flourish till 1540, when it was surrendered to the Crown; there are still some remains of the buildings. The manor was one of those belonging to the Butler family; and in the reign of Elizabeth the castle was besieged by the Earl of Essex, with the whole of his army, when the garrison, encouraged by the hostilities then waged by the earl of Desmond, held out for ten days, but was compelled to surrender. In 1647, this fortress was invested by Lord Inchiquin, and, notwithstanding its great strength, surrendered in a few hours, after some of its outworks had been gained by the assailants.
The present town owes its rise to the late Earl of Glengall, and has been enlarged and greatly improved by the present Earl, whose seat is within its limits; it is pleasantly situated on the river Suir, and is well built and of handsome appearance. About a mile distant are extensive cavalry barracks, adapted for 23 officers and 346 non-commissioned officers and privates, with stabling for 292 horses, and an hospital attached; and the staff of the Tipperary militia is also stationed in the town. At Scartana, in the vicinity, races are held annually in September or October, and are generally well attended. A linen factory was established under the Cahir Local Association, formed originally in 1809, which laid the foundation of a spinning school, and in 1823 established a market for the sale of linen and yarn. Diapers and fine linens were at first the principal articles manufactured, but coarser fabrics have latterly been produced. For want of an advantageous market the whole of this trade declined; and in 1822, the London Relief Committee, under the immediate patronage of the Earl and Countess Dowager of Glengall, established the present Leghorn, Tuscan, British, and fancy straw plat manufactory; it was projected by Mr. John Perry, of London, who first introduced the manufacture of Italian straws into England, for which he received a medal from the Society of Arts. The produce of this manufacture, in which a large number of females is employed, is chiefly disposed of to the wholesale houses in London. By a failure of one of those houses in 1828, the business of the factory was greatly impeded; but the pecuniary assistance afforded by the Earl of Glengall has enabled the present proprietor, Mr. Richard Butler, to carry it on as extensively as before. The articles manufactured are of superior quality, and find a ready sale in the English market. Weaving-looms for fancy plats of Italian straw with silk, of very ingenious workmanship, have been recently established, and at present afford employment to 68 females, and arrangements are in progress for considerably extending this branch of the trade. There are five very extensive flour-mills in the town and its immediate neighborhood; the mill at Cahir Abbey, the property of Mr. Grubb, is on a very large scale and is worked by an engine of 80-horse power. The market, which is chiefly for agricultural produce, is on Friday; the market-house is a neat and commodious building. Fairs are held on Feb. 8th, April 12th, May 26th and 27th, July 20th, Sept. 18th and 19th, Oct. 20th, and Dec. 7th. A constabulary police force is stationed in the town. A manorial court, in which debts to the amount of 10 pounds are recoverable, is held every six weeks by the seneschal; and petty sessions are held weekly. The bridewell, a handsome castellated building, contains five cells, one day-room, and two airing yards. The trade of this place and neighborhood will be much improved by the construction of the contemplated railway from Tipperary to Carrick-on-Suir, for which an act has been obtained, and towards the completion of which the Commissioners of Public Works in Ireland have agreed to advance a loan, on condition that there be an equal subscription, which latter at present amounts to 60,000 pounds. It is to have a branch from Tipperary to Killaloe, to communicate with the Upper Shannon, and the estimated expense does not exceed 150,000 pounds.
The parish comprises 13,923 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about 890 are woodland, 9560 arable, 1764 pasture, and 1790 wasteland bog and mountain: the land is in general of good quality, and the system of agriculture is in a very improved state. The Galtee range of mountains commences here, and the scenery in the neighborhood is of a highly picturesque character. Cahir House, the seat of the Earl of Glengall, is situated in the town, and the demesne extends for more than two miles on both sides of the river. The park, which is finely planted and well stocked with deer, comprises 560 acres; and in a secluded part of it is a picturesque retreat of modern erection, called the cottage, which is greatly admired for the extreme beauty of its situation. The river Suir winds gently through the demesne, and contributes to the interest and diversity of the landscape. Cahir Abbey, the residence of Richard Grubb, Esq., is a handsome house recently erected by the proprietor, and pleasantly situated in grounds tastefully disposed and commanding some fine views. The other seats are Garnavella, the handsome residence of J. Archer Butler, Esq.; Altavilla, of W. Going, Esq.; Ballybrado, of J. William Fennell, Esq.; and Killemly Hall, beautifully situated on the river Suir and commanding some highly picturesque views, the property of H. Hughes, Esq., but in the occupation of L. Clutterbuck, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, episcopally united, in 1803, to that of Grange St. John, forming the union of Cahir, in the patronage of the Crown; the rectory is appropriate to the Archbishop of Cashel. The tithes amount to 900, of which 500 is payable to the archbishop, and 400 to the vicar; and the gross tithes of the benefice, payable to the vicar, amount to 460. The church was rebuilt, in 1817, by a loan of 2500 from the late Board of First Fruits; it is a spacious structure of stone, , in the later English style, with an embattled tower surmounted by a finely proportioned spire, the whole after a design by Mr.. Nash, of London. The glebe-house, a handsome residence, was built by aid of a gift of 100 and a loan of 750 from the same Board, in 1809: The glebe comprises 10a.2r.22p. In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Cahir and Mortlestown; the chapel, lately rebuilt, is a spacious and handsome cruciform edifice, in the later English style, with a lofty and well-proportioned spire. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends. The parochial schools are under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity; the school-house was built at an expense of 1034, of which 600 was defrayed from the funds of that charity, and 434 by the late Earl of Glengall, who also gave two acres of land; and there is a national school, aided by subscription. In these schools about 180 boys and 170 girls are instructed; there are also twelve private schools, in which are about 580 children. A dispensary and fever hospital were founded by the local London Relief Committee. The ruins of the old castle are situated on an island in the river, and present a very interesting and highly picturesque appearance. This is the burial-place of the Butler family, Earls of Glengall, to whom it gives the inferior titles of Viscount and Baron.

Cahir RC Parish
consists of
civil parishes of Caher,Mortlestown,Outeragh
records start in 1776

South Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Cahir RC parish starts 1776

consists of
Ballingeary East; Ballyallavoe; Ballybrada; Ballylegan; Ballymacadam; Ballymacadam East; Ballymacadam West; Ballynamona; Barnora; Caher Abbey Upper; Carrigeen; Coolaclamper; Edenmore; Farranlahassery; Garnavilla; Grangebeg; Grangemore; Husseystown; Keylong; Kilcommanbeg; Kilcommonmore North; Kilcommonmore South; Killeenbutler; Killeigh; Killemly; Knockagh; Knockmorris; Lissakyle; Loughlohery; Monaderreen; Newtownadam; Suttonrath; Town of Caher; Townparks

Cahir Or Caher Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 16 GV#: 91
Church of Ireland records start 1801
consists of RC parishes: Cahir RC parish starts 1776

Caher Town
Parish of Caher

Caher Abbey Upper
Parish of Caher

Parish of Kilconnell

Parish of Lisronagh

Parish of Loughkeen

Parish of Toem

Parish of Kilfeakle

Callabeg 1837

a parish, in the barony of Eliogarty, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 2 1/2 miles S.E. from Templemore; containing 1600 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Suir, which separates it from Loughmoe-West, and on the road from Templemore to Thurles, and comprises 3417 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. On the townland of Killahara is a very fine old castle, which formerly belonged to the Purcells, and is now the property of Mr. Trant. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Templetuohy and corps of the prebend of Kilbragh in the cathedral of Cashel; the tithes amount to 249.17.9. There is a pay school, in which are about 30 boys and 20 girls.

Callathamery 1837

a parish, in the barony of Owney and Arra, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 1/4 of a mile E. from Killaloe, on the road to Limerick, and on the river Shannon; containing 4724 inhabitants. The land is mostly in tillage; there is some bog on the mountains. There are good quarries of grit-stone, which is used extensively for building. A slate quarry is worked at Ryninch; and the Derry slate quarries, situated in this parish, were formerly very extensively worked. Derry Castle, the seat of M.P. Head, Esq., is situated in a noble demesne abounding with remarkably fine old timber; the scenery in its vicinity is extremely beautiful, and the Shannon bounds the demesne on the west. The other seats are Derry Ville, the residence of J. Salmon, Esq.; Ryninch, of J. O'Brien, Esq.; Fort Henry, of Finch White, Esq.; and Shannon View, of H. Franks, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union of Kilmastulla; the tithes amount to 406.3.1. In the R.C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish and that of Kilmastulla, and called Ballina; in each of the parishes is a chapel. There are six private schools, in which are about 790 children, and a Sunday school. On the upper Killary mountain, a son of one of the Kings of Leinster was buried: on an island in the Shannon, opposite the ruins of an old church, are the remains of a monastery; and on the north side of the bridge at Ballina are the ruins of a castle, built most probably to defend the passage of the river.

Callan Poor law union
consists of
- Ballingarry - Cloneen - Crohane - Grangemockler - Graystown - Isertkieran - Kilvemnon - Lismalin - Modeshil - Mowney - Templemichael

Parish of Kilfeakle

Parish of Kilbarron

Parish of Corbally

Parish of Ardmayle

Parish of Ballymackey

Parish of Templebeg

Parish of Kilnarath

Parish of Kiltinan

Parish of Ballingarry

Parish of Cloneen

Parish of Isertkieran

Cappaghwhite 1837

A village, in the parish of Toom, barony of Kilnemanagh, County of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 6 1/2 miles N from Tipperary; containing 695 inhabitants, This place, which has been much improved within the last 40 years, and contains 115 houses, is situated on the new line of road from Tipperary to Nenagh, to the former of which it has a penny post. It is a constabulary police station; fairs are held on June 4th, July 27th, Sept 29th, Nov 16th and Dec 21st; and there are an R.C. chapel and a dispensary. Cappagh House is the residence of Mrs. Fitzmaurice Hunt. Five hundred acres of land near the village were, about seven years since, leased by Col Purefoy to the Mining Company of Ireland, who after incurring some expense in searching for copper, relinquished the enterprise.

Population 629 in 1881 Cappawhite, in the parish of Toom, barony of Kilnamanagh, upper, is 7 miles, Irish, north of Tipperary, and 5 miles west by north from Dundrum, the nearest railway station. The village rises from both sides of a hollow, and is well built. Some years ago it had considerable notoriety as the scene of faction fights, but in late years none have occurred. Some of the land of the district is fair, and some light. Oats and potatoes are the principal crops. A weekly market for butter, etc., was held some time ago, but it declined. Mr. Vere Hunt and the trustees of Thomas Dowling are the landlords. The parish of Toom was famous down to the sixteenth century, for a priory dedicated to St. Donan. It was granted with possessions by Queen Elizabeth to Miles Magrath, Archbishop of Cashel.

Cappawhite RC Parish
consists of
civil parishes of Toem,Templebeg
records start in 1804

North Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Cappawhite RC parish starts 1804

Cappaghwhite Town
Parish of Toem

Parish of Modreeny

Parish of Bourney

Parish of Clonoulty

Parish of Kilmastulla

Parish of Upperchurch

Parish of Aglishcloghane

Parish of Terryglass

Parish of Upperchurch

Parish of Glenkeen

Parish of Kilmore

Parish of Clonbullogue

Parish of Kilvemnon

Cardangan 1837

a parish, in the barony of Clanwilliam, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster; containing with part of the town of Tipperary, 2345 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Tipperary to the Glen of Aherlow, and extends into a plain which for its fertility and beauty is called the Golden Vale: it contains some of the richest land in Ireland, although occasionally alternated with healthy mountain. The principal seats are Brookville, that of J. Sadlier, Esq., and Ballyglass, of Mrs. Slattery. It is a vicarage,in the diocese of Emly, and is part of the union and corps of the prebend of Lattin in the cathedral of Emly; the rectory is impropriate in William Moore, Esq. The tithes amount to 153.15., of which 102.10. is payable to the impropriator and 51.5. to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Lattin. here is a free school under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, which is more particularly noticed in the article on Tipperary, also a pay school, in which are about 30 boys and 10 girls. [No statute acres are given, nor the number of children in the Erasmus Smith school.]

Parish of Upperchurch

Parish of Cloghprior

Parish of Cloghprior

Parish of Cloghprior

Parish of Cloghprior

Parish of Derrygrath

Parish of Ballymurreen

Parish of Ballingarry

-John- the hatter-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Walter-Andren-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-William-Barnard-Antall hearths 4- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Peter-Brenagh-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Philip-Brenagh-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Phillip-Brenagh-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Richard-Brenagh-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Brenoge-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Corn.-Bryan-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Bryan-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Robert-Butler-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Walter-Butler-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Peter-Cahoe-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Walter-Callure-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-James-Canane-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Carew-Antall hearths 2- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-William-Clayton-Antall hearths 2- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Walter-Cleare-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-James-Comerford-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Daniel-Connelly-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Richard-Conway-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Corrigan-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Cudihy-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Peter-Cullnane-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Giles-Daniell-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Henry-Davies-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Walter-Deveran-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Richard-Dixon-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Richard-Dowly-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Ignatius-Driver-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Paul-Dugin-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Donnough-Dwyre-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-James-English-Antall hearths 2 and a forge- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Faker-Antall hearths 2- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Fitzmurray-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Fline-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Donough-Flynn-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-Gaule-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-William-Hackett-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-James-Hartrey-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-William-Headin-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-William-Hennard-Antall hearths 2- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Marcus-Henrahan-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Teig-Hickey-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Teige-Kealy-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-Kealy-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Phillip-Kennedy-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-William-Kennedy-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-Kerwicke-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-James-Linch-Antall hearths 2 an oven and a kiln- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Peter-Linch-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Michael-Lynch-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-David-Magher-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Daniel-Maher-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Morish-Mahony-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Edmd.-McCleare.-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-McDanniell-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-William-McEdmund-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-McGarth-junior-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-McGarth-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-McGrath-junior-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Robert-McTeige-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-James-Meagher-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Peter-Milward-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-James-Mortimer-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-Mortimer-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-James-Neale-junior-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-James-Neale-junior-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-Neale-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Walter-Neale-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-O'Fyne-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-James-Paton-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Pendergrast-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Pill-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Walter-Pollane-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Potter-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Kenedy-Quin-Antall hearths 2- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-Reyly-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-William-Ryan-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Michael-Samott-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-Shephard-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-John-Slane-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-Stasie-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Katherine-Sutton-Antall hearths 5- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Walter-Wallice-Antall hearths 3- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Edmund-Wedner-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Thomas-Welsh-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Morish-Whelahan-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-Richard-White-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls
-David-Woodlock-Antall hearths 1- 1664 Hearth Money Rolls

Parish of Templedowney

consists of Ballylynch; Ballynagrana; Ballyrichard; Ballyvaughan; Deerpark; Deerparklodge; Knocknaconnery; Tinvane; Town of Carrick On Suir; Town Parks

Carrick-on-Suir 1837

a market and post-town, and a parish. in the barony of Iffa and Offa East, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 13 miles W.N.W. from Waterford, and 78 1/4 miles S.W. by S. from Dublin; containing 7445 inhabitants, of which number, 6922 are in the town. The place formed part of the possessions of Theobald Butler, to whom were granted also the lands of Carrig-mac-Griffin, now Carrick-Beg, and whose grandson, Edmond, founded a castle here about the year 1309. The castle was, in 1336, granted by his son, James Butler, created Earl of Ormonde in 1328, to the Franciscan friary of Carrick-Beg, which he had founded; and continued to form part of the endowment of that house till about the year 1445, when, the brethren having suffered it to fall into ruin, a regrant of it was purchased from them by Sir Edmond Butler MacRichard, grandson of James, third Earl of Ormonde, who rebuilt both the castle and the bridge. A priory, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was founded here at the end of the 12th or beginning of the 13th century, for Canons Regular of the order of St. Augustine, by William de Cantell and Dionisia his wife, daughter of Thomas Fitz-Anthony; it was afterwards subject to the hospital of St. John de Acon, at London, and after the dissolution was granted to Thomas, Earl of Ormonde, in 1557, which grant was confirmed in 1562 by Queen Elizabeth, who also remitted the reserved rent. A castle was erected on the site of the priory by Thomas Duff, called Black Thomas, Earl of Ormonde. Here was also a nunnery for poor Clares, of which nothing more has been recorded. In 1500, the Earl granted a charter to the burgesses of the town, dated at Waterford.

The town is pleasantly situated on the north bank of the river Suir, which here forms a boundary between the counties of Tipperary and Waterford, and is connected by an ancient stone bridge with the suburb of Carrick-Beg, on the opposite side, in the county of Waterford. It consists of one long street extending in a direction from east to west, from which three smaller streets diverge on the north to the fair green, a spacious area surrounded by houses, and one on the south side to the river; the total number of houses, in 1831, was 1292. There are cavalry barracks for 8 officers and 148 non-commissioned officers and privates, with stabling for 52 horses; but they are now occupied by infantry. In 1670, the great Duke of Ormonde established the woolen manufacture here, which flourished till towards the close of the last century, but has since declined: at present there is only a very limited trade in ratteens of superior quality, which are made in the town and vicinity.. There are some tanneries and breweries; but the chief trade is the sale of agricultural produce and of provisions, which are sent to Waterford for exportation, and to Clonmel for the supply of that town and neighborhood. The trade in corn and butter, the produce of the surrounding district, is stated in a petition to parliament, presented by the inhabitants in 1832, and praying for the privilege of sending a representative to the Imperial parliament, to amount at that time to 240,000 pounds, and previously to have exceeded 360,000 pounds, per annum. The river is not navigable for vessels of considerable burden farther than Fiddown, a few miles below the town, whence lighters are used for conveying the produce. The rail-road from Waterford to Limerick, if completed, will pass through the town. The market is on Saturday; and fairs are held on the first Thursday of every month for cattle and pigs.. A constabulary police force is stationed in the town; and petty sessions are held here every alternate week: the manor court formerly held in the castle is discontinued.

The parish, which is exempt from county rates by grant of William III, comprises about 1600 statute acres, which, with the exception of about 32 acres of common, called Carrick Green, where the fairs are held, are chiefly arable. The surrounding country is peculiarly beautiful, being part of the district or plain which, for the singular fertility, is called the "Golden Vale," throughout enlivened by the river Suir, the banks of which are embellished with the richest variety of scenery. The chiefs seats within the parish are Tinvane, the handsome residence of H.W. Briscoe, Esq.; the Cottage, of W. O'Donnell, Esq.; Deerpark Lodge of __ Haliday, Esq.; and Mount Richard, of J. Power, Esq.and within a range of three or four miles, are Curraghmore, the seat of the Marquess of Waterford; Besborough, of the Earl of Besborough; Coolnamuck, of Charles W. Wall, Esq.; and Castletown, of R. Cox, Esq.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Ormonde; the rectory is impropriate in W.H. Bradshaw, Esq. The tithes amount to 193.16.11, of which 129.4.7 1/2. is payable to the improprietor, and 64.12.3 1/2. to the vicar. The church is in ruins. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of 400 and a loan of 270 by the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe contains 3r.3p. In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of ST. NICHOLAS in Carrick-on-Suir, and Newtownlenen, in each of which there is a chapel. The chapel of this parish is a spacious and handsome building; the interior is well-arranged, and the altar is embellished with a painting of the crucifixion by a native artist. There are a monastery of the order of the Christian Brotherhood, and a convent of sisters of the order of the Presentation; to the former is attached a school of 250 boys and to the latter a school of 500 girls, aided by subscription; there are also seven private schools, in which are about 200 boys and 100 girls. Here are a fever hospital and a dispensary. A poor-house for destitute persons of the R.C. religion is supported with a bequest of 2000 pounds by Thomas and Richard Wadden, augmented with 30 per annum by James Sause, Esq., and a bequest of 400 by Mr. Kennedy: a few acres of land have also been bequeathed to it. A rent-charge of 10 pounds was bequeathed to the Protestant poor by Mrs. Cook, about a century since. The castle is still a stately building, though much of it is in ruins; it was for many years the residence of the Ormonde family, and part of it has been converted into a private residence. There are some small remains of the ancient town walls. Carrick gives the title of Earl to a branch of the Butler family.

Carrick on Suir RC Parish
consists of
civil parishes of Carrick,Newtownlennan
records start in 1784

Carrick on Suir
South Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Carrick on Suir RC parish starts 1784

Carrick On Suir Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 17 GV#: 116
Church of Ireland records start 1803
consists of RC parishes: Carrick on Suir RC parish starts 1784

Carrick on Suir Poor law union
consists of
- Carrick - Garrangibbon - Grangemockler - Kilmurry - Kilvemnon - Newtownlennan - Templemichael

Carrick On Suir Town
Parish of Carrick

Parish of Kilruane

Parish of Inishlounaght

Parish of Loughmoe West

Carrigagown North
Parish of Kilbarron

Carrigagown South
Parish of Kilbarron

Carrigahorig Town
Parish of Terryglass

Parish of Kilcash

Parish of Clonbullogue

Parish of Shanrahan

Parish of Tubbrid

Parish of Burgesbeg

Carrigatogher Bog
Parish of Burgesbeg

Parish of Templetenny

Parish of Lisronagh

Parish of Caher

Parish of Baptistgrange

Parish of Burgesbeg

Parish of Youghalarra

Parish of Shanrahan

Carrigvistail 1837

a village, in the parish of Templetenny, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster; containing 55 inhabitants.

Parish of St. Patricksrock

Parish of Solloghodbeg

Parish of Ballybacon

Parish of Youghalarra

Parish of Cordangan

Parish of Ballymackey

Parish of Donohill

Carrownaclogh North
Parish of Youghalarra

Carrownaclogh South
Parish of Youghalarra

Parish of Terryglass

Parish of Tipperary

The archbishoprick, or ecclesiastical province, of Cashel comprehends the eleven dioceses of Cashel, Emly, Limerick, Ardfert and Aghadoe, Waterford, Lismore, Cork, Ross, Cloyne, Killaloe, and Kilfenora     Add your records to the Cashel & Emly Baptisms    Search the Cashel & Emly Baptisms     Add your records to Cashel & Emly Marriages    Search the Cashel & Emly Marriages

Cashel 1837

a city (being the seat of an archbishoprick and diocese), borough, market and port-town, in the barony of Middlethird, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 12 miles N.N.W. of Clonmel, and 75 S.W. from Dublin; containing, within the corporate lands, 12,582 inhabitants, of which number, 6971 are in the city. This place was the residence of the kings of Munster; and a synod was held in it by St. Patrick, St. Ailbe, and St. Declan, in the reign of Aengus, who, after his conversion to the christian faith by St. Patrick, is said to have founded a church here. It is uncertain at what period Cashel first became the head of a bishoprick; indeed, its early history is involved in much obscurity, and has been a fertile source of hypothetical inquiry. Some writers assert that Cormac Mac-Culinan, King and Bishop of Cashel, who was killed in his retreat from battle in 908, either founded or restored the cathedral, by building on the rock of Cashel an edifice now called Cormac's Chapel, one of the most interesting architectural remains in the kingdom; but its erection iswith greater probability, ascribed by others to Cormac MacCarthy, the pious King of Desmond. In 990, this place was fortified by Brian Boru, who rebuilt thirteen royal houses and palaces in Munster, one of which is still pointed out at the corner of Old Chapel-Lane, in this town. Until the year 1101, the buildings on the rock of Cashel were merely such as composed the dun, or royal residence, or the carsoil, or habitation on the rock of the Kings of Munster; the cathedral probably occupied some other site. In that year, according to the Annals of Innisfallen, Murtogh O'Brien convened a great Assembly of the clergy and people of Cashel, in which he assigned over to the bishops that "hitherto royal seat" of the Kings of Munster, and dedicated it to God, St. Patrick and St. Ailbe. The same annals record that, in 1127, Cormac MacCarthy, King of Desmond, erected a church here (the chapel above noticed), called from him Teampul Chormaic, which in 1134 was consecrated by the archbishop and bishops of Munster, in the presence of the nobility and clergy. A new church was built in 1169, on the site of the present cathedral, by Donald O'Brien, King of Limerick, who endowed it with lands, and converted the church founded by Cormac into a chapel or chapter-house on the south side of the choir of the new edifice.
Henry II, at landing at Waterford in 1172, marched to Cashel, where e received the homage of the above named Donald O'Brien; and in November of that year he summoned a general synod of the Irish clergy, which was also attended by those Irish lords who submitted to his sway, and at which Christian, Bishop of Lismore, the pope's legate, presided. This assembly acknowledged the sovereignty of Henry; and of the ordinances enacted by it, one exempted the persons of the clergy from the jurisdiction of the civil courts in criminal cases, and their lands from all secular taxes; and another enjoined a perfect conformity of the church of Ireland with that of England. Henry, during his stay here, bestowed on the Archbishop and chapter the city of Cashel, with a large tract of the adjoining country. After his departure, Richard Strongbow led an army to this place against the native princes of the west, and encamped here, awaiting the arrival of reinforcements from Dublin, which being defeated at Thurles, he was compelled to retreat precipitately to Waterford. In 1179 the town was burnt; after its restoration, Donat or Donchad O'Lonargan, who succeeded to the see in 1216, erected it into a borough. Henry III, in 1228, remitted to Archbishop Marian and his successors the new town of Cashel, to be held of him and his heirs in free, pure and perpetual alms, discharged from all extractions and secular services. Sir David le Latimer, seneschal to Archbishop Marian, founded an hospital for sick and infirm poor, in honor of St. Nicholas, which was afterwards given to a society of Cistertians introduced by Archbishop David Mac Carvill. In 1243 a Dominican friary was founded by Archbishop David MacKelly, which being destroyed by an accidental fire, was rebuilt by Archbishop Cantwell, who was constituted both patron and founder by an instrument dated at Limerick about the year 1480; and in 1250 Archbishop Hacket founded the Franciscan friary. Hore Abbey, called also "St.Mary's Abbey of the Rock of Cashel," was originally founded for Benedictines; but Archbishop Mac Carvill, having dreamt that the monks had made an attempt to cut off his head, forcibly dispossessed them of their house and lands, and gave the whole of their possessions to a body of Cistertian monks, whom he brought from the Abbey of Mellifont, in the county of Louth.
In 1316, on Palm-Sunday, Edward Bruce came hither with his army from Limerick, and proceeded to Nenagh; and in 1372, a parliament was held at this place. In 1495, during the baronial feuds, Gerald, Earl of Kildare, influenced by hostile feelings towards David Creaghe, then archbishop, set fire to the cathedral, and in the presence of the king subsequently defended this outrage, in answer to the accusations of his persecutors, on the ground that he would not have destroyed the building had he not thought that the archbishop was in it at the time. On the termination of the insurrection headed by the Earl of Tyrone, this place, with others,surrendered with discretion, in 1603, to the Lord-Deputy Mountjoy. Lord Inchiquin advanced against it from the siege of Cahir, in 1647,; the inhabitants took refuge in their church on the rock, which was well fortified and garrisoned. Inchiquin proposed to leave them unmolested, on condition of their contributing 3000 pounds and a month's pay for his army; this offer being rejected, he took the place by storm, with great slaughter both of the soldiery and citizens, among whom 20 of the R.C. clergy were involved; and after having secured the immense booty of which he obtained possession, dispersed his forces into garrison. In 1690 the adherents of King William who had been wounded in the attack on Limerick were hospitably received by the inhabitants of Cashel, whose humane attention induced the King, on the bridge of Golden, about 4 miles distant, to renew their charter by letter, which is still in the possession of the corporation.

The town is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Cork, about two miles from the river Suir, in a fine open country; it consists of one principal street from which several others diverge irregularly, and contains 1059 houses. The inhabitants are very inadequately supplied with water, partly by pumps, which in summer afford only a scanty supply of hard water unfit for many culinary and domestic purposes, and partly with soft water conveyed by pipes from a distance of two miles. A small stream from the same source was brought into the town some years since, through the exertions of Archdeacon Cotton, at an expense of above 200, which was defrayed by subscription and an annual grant of 50 pounds from the grand jury of the county, under the authority of an act of parliament called lee's Act; but in a very short time it proved useless. Subsequently, W.B. Upton, Esq., an inhabitant, suggested a plan for bringing such a supply from a distance of 17 miles as would admit of the passage of boats also, by which turf from the bog of Allen, about 4 1/2 miles distant, and coal from the Killenaule collieries, about 14 miles distant, might be conveyed to the town: the estimated cost was 9000, to advance which sum an application was made to Government, but the plan failed in obtaining the sanction of Government, and no steps have been since taken towards accomplishing so desirable an object. The archbishop's palace was formerly situated at Cammas, about two miles distant: the present, which stands within the city and was erected about the middle of the last century, is a large and well-built mansion, with extensive gardens attached, from which the ruins of the cathedral on the rock appear strikingly grand and conspicuous. Attached to the palace is a building in which is deposited a library of nearly 9000 volumes, chiefly bequeathed by Archbishop Bolton in 1741, for the use of the clergy of the diocese, and preserved by the Archbishop, but there is no special fund for its support; some of the clergy have of late contributed to its augmentation by subscriptions for the purchase of a few valuable modern works. The infantry barracks are a handsome range of building, occupying three sides of a quadrangle, and are adapted to the accommodation of one field officer, six other officers, and 146 non-commissioned officers and privates, with stabling for three horses and an hospital for 21 patients. The markets are on Wednesday and Saturday: the market-house, situated in the centre of the main-street, is not now open for the use of the public, except for the purpose of weighing butter and other articles. Fairs are held on March 26th and Aug 7th: and in 1826 a grant of a fair on the third Tuesday in every month was made to Richard Pennefather, Esq., with a court of piepoudre. This is the residence of the chief magistrate of police (Capt. Nangle), and a chief constabulary police station for the district.
The town, as previously noticed, was erected into a borough about 1216, by Archbishop Donat, who gave burgage tenements to the burgesses, and is said to have also conferred on them the same privileges as were enjoyed by the burgesses of Bristol, reserving to the see a yearly rent of 12d out of each burgage.Archbishop Marian, in 1230, granted the town to the provost and twelve burgesses, except only the shambles, then situated behind the present shambles, and the great bake-house in John-Street, subsequently called Cunningham's Hall; he also granted them free pasture in all his lands (except meadows, corn and manors), and empowered them to hold a hundred court and a court baron for hearing and determining please, reserving out of these grants only chief-rents. Richard II, in 1378, confirmed all the privileges of the corporation; and other charters, chiefly confirmatory, were granted by Archbishop Roland in 1557, and by Queen Elizabeth, in reward of their dutiful conduct, in 1584. Charles I, in 1637, granted a new charter, ordaining that the town or borough should be called the "City of Cashel;" and two years after, another, which is now the governing charter. James II seized the franchise into his own hands, pursuant to a degree of the exchequer, and subsequently granted a charter which is now considered void; their ancient rights and privileges were restored to the corporation by King William, as before stated. In the "New Rules" of the 25th of Charles II, for regulating corporations in Ireland, it was ordained that the appointment of the mayor, recorder, and town clerk should be subject to the approbation of the lord-lieutenant and privy council. The corporation, under the style of the "Mayor, Aldermen, Bailiffs, Citizens, and Commons of the City of Cashel," consists of a mayor, aldermen (limited by the charter to 17 in number), two bailiffs, and an unlimited number of commons, aided by a recorder, town-clerk, two serjeants-at-mace, a swordbearer,and a crier; a treasurer is also appointed. The mayor is elected annually on June 29th, by the court of common hall, and is one of three persons nominated by the aldermen from among themselves, but the choice may be extended to the citizens and commons, at the discretion of the aldermen; he is sworn into office on Sept 29th, and, with the concurrence of three aldermen, has power to appoint a deputy during illness or absence. The aldermen, on vacancies occurring, are chosen from among the freemen by the remaining aldermen and hold office for life. The recorder, according to practice, is elected by the mayor and aldermen, but the charter gives the power to the entire body; he holds his office during good behavior, and may appoint a deputy. The bailiffs, by the charter, are eligible from among the citizens, one by the mayor and aldermen and one by the corporation at large; according to practice they are elected annually on June 29th in the common hall from among the freemen, on the recommendation of the aldermen. The town-clerk is elected annually with the mayor and the bailiffs; the sword-bearer is eligible by the whole body, and holds his office during good behavior; and the serjeant-at-mace and the crier are appointed by the mayor. The freedom is obtained only by gift of the mayor and aldermen, who are the ruling body of the corporation, and have the entire management of its affairs. The city returned two members to the Irish Parliament until the Union, since which it has sent one to the Imperial parliament. The right of election was vested solely in the corporation, but by the act of the 2nd of William IV., cap 88, has been extended to the 10 pound householders of an enlarged district, comprising an area of 3974 acres, which has been constituted the new electoral borough, and the limits of which are minutely described in the Appendix: the number of electors registered at the close of 1835 was 277, of whom 8 were freemen; the mayor is the returning officer.

The mayor, deputy mayor, and recorder are justices of the peace for the city of Cashel and the county of Tipperary; and they are judges of the Tholsel court, the attachments and other process of which are executed by the bailiffs. This court, which by the charter is to be held weekly, and of which Thursday is the court day, has jurisdiction (not exclusive) in causes not exceeding the amount of 20 pounds late currency; arising within the ancient bounds of the city and its liberties; and suits may be commenced in it either by action or attachment, on affidavit made before the mayor or his deputy of the amount and cause of action. Very few causes are now tried in this court, attributable to the expense of the proceedings,, and to the facility of the recovering debts afforded by the assistant barrister's court. In addition to this jurisdiction, the charter gives it a further jurisdiction to the extent of 40s in causes arising without the city and liberties; but this power is in some degree limited by the 36th of George III, cap. 39, which requires that the cause of action shall have arisen, or that the defendant be resident, within the city and liberties. The charter granted a court baron to be held before the mayor every three weeks; and a court leet with view of frankpledge, to be held within a month after Easter and Michaelmas, before the mayor and recorder, or before one of them and the deputy of the other. Quarter sessions for the county are held here in January and July, and generally continue ten days; petty sessions for the division are held every Wednesday by the county magistrates; and similar sessions are held for the city, at which both the county and city magistrates preside. The county court-house and prison, erected in 1818, on the south side of the city fronting the green, form a neat and substantial pile of building of stone: the former is sufficiently adapted to the transaction of business; and the latter, to which the city magistrates also commit prisoners, contains eight cells, three day-rooms, and two airing-yards. The corporation estates comprise 2024 Irish acres, let on lease for 99 years to various tenants, and producing an income of about 220 per annum.

The first bishop of Cashel of whom any authentic notice occurs is Cormac Mac-Culinan, King of Munster, who, as was not uncommon at that period, exercised also spiritual jurisdiction over his subjects. He was descended from Aengus, and succeeded to the throne of Munster and to the see of Cashel, in 901, but was killed on his retreat from battle in 908, and interred in the abbey of Castledermot, where he was educated. From this period till 1152 only four of his successors are noticed, who, with the exception of one, are all styled archbishops of Cashel.

Donat O'Lonargan who then succeeded to the bishoprick , received from Cardinal Papero, the legate of Pope Eugene III, one of the four palls which had been sent by him to Ireland, and of which the other three were conferred on Gelasius of Armagh, Gregory of Dublin and Edan of Tuam. During the prelacy of Donald O'Hullucan, who succeeded in 1158, a synod was held here by command of Henry II, at which all the archbishops and bishops of Ireland, except the archbishop of Armagh, assisted, and at which Christian O'Conarchy, the pope's legate and the bishop of Lismore presided. At this synod Henry received from the archbishops and bishops charters, with their seals appended, by which they confirmed the kingdom of Ireland to him and his heirs, and constituted them kings and lords of Ireland for ever; transcripts of these charters were sent by the king to Pope Alexander, who by his apostolical authority gave his confirmation to them. Pope Innocent III, in 1210, confirmed to Donat O'Lonargan II, who had been promoted to the see in 1206, all the revenues and possessions of the archbishoprick, and subjected to his metropolitan jurisdiction the cathedrals of the suffragan bishopricks of Limerick, Killaloe, Fennabore, Waterford, Ardmore, Lismore, Cloyne, Cork, Ross, Ardfert, and Emly. Donald O'Brien, King of Limerick, about the time of the English invasion, built a new cathedral church, and converted the structure previously existing into a chapel or chapter-house; he also made large grants of land to the see, which was further endowed by his son Donat, surnamed Carbrac, with other grants of land in Thomond, and with the islands of Sulleith and Kismacayl, all which grants were confirmed by King John in 1215. The see of Emly was united with the archbishoprick of Cashel by act of parliament in 1568, during the prelacy of James Mac-Caghwell, who succeeded to the dignity in 1567, and was the first archbishop of the united sees of Cashel and Emly. Miler Magragh, who was elevated to the united sees in 1570, was in high favor with Queen Elizabeth, from whom he held in commendam the sees of Lismore and Waterford, on his resignation of which he obtained a commendam of the two bishopricks of Killala and Achonry, in Connaught, which he held with the see of Cashel till his death. The grant of these sees appears to have been made to him and his heirs for ever, in the way of union to the see of Cashel. After the death of archbishop Thomas Price, in 1684, the see remained vacant for a long period, during which the revenues were received by collectors appointed by the Crown, and distributed by James II, among the Roman Catholic bishops, no successor being appointed till 1690, when Narcissus Marsh became archbishop. By the church Temporalities act (3rd of William IV) it was specially provided that the see of Waterford and Lismore, then vacant by the death of Dr. Bourke, should be annexed to Cashel, which accordingly took place on the passing of that act, when the Temporalities of both dioceses, with the episcopal palace, became vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

The archbishoprick, or ecclesiastical province, of Cashel comprehends the eleven dioceses of Cashel, Emly, Limerick, Ardfert and Aghadoe, Waterford, Lismore, Cork, Ross, Cloyne, Killaloe, and Kilfenora. It contains a superficies of 3,439,750 acres, and comprises within its limits the whole of the civil province of Munster, parts of the county of Kilkenny, and King's county, in the province of Leinster, and part of the county of Galway, in the province of Connaught. The archbishop is primate and metropolitan of Munster; he presides over the whole province, and exercises all episcopal jurisdiction within the united dioceses of Cashel, Emly, Waterford and Lismore, and in consequence of the union of the see of Limerick with the consolidated sees of Ardfert and Aghadoe, also of the sees of Cork, Ross and Cloyne, and those of Killaloe and Kilfenora, which are united to the sees of Clonfert and Kilmacdaugh; three bishops only preside over the dioceses of the province, and are suffragan to the archbishop of Cashel. Under the provisions of the church Temporalities act all archiepiscopal jurisdiction will cease on the next avoidance of the archbishoprick; Cashel, with the united dioceses of Emly, Waterford, and Lismore, will be made a bishoprick, and with the other sees of the province become suffragan to the archbishop of Dublin.

The diocese of Cashel comprehends the greater part of the county of Tipperary and small portions of the counties of Kilkenny and Limerick; it is 35 British miles in length and 29 in breadth, comprehending an estimated superficies of 278,000 acres, of which 600 are in Kilkenny, 850 in Limerick, and the remainder in the county of Tipperary. There are belonging to the archi-episcopal see, or united diocese of Cashel and Emly, 20,046 1/2 statute acres; and the gross amounts of its yearly revenue, including the prebends of Glankyne and Isertlaurence, on an average of three years, ending December 31, 1831, was by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners returned at 7354.2. The chapter consists of a dean, precentor, chancellor, treasurer, and archdeacon, and the five prebendaries of Glankeen, Killaldriffe or Killaldry, Fennor, Newchapel, and Kilbragh; the prebend of Glankeen belongs to the archbishop in right of his see. The vicars choral are a separate corporate body, anciently consisting of eight, but now of five only; they are endowed with various lands and tithes, the former comprising 644 statute acres, and both let on lease at 690.10.7 1/4. The economy estate of the cathedral consist of the rectoral tithes of the parish of St. Patrick's Rock, and the interest of 1000 pounds in the new three and one-half percent stock, together with a small sum in the old three 1/2 per cents, amounting to 399.9 per annum. The diocese comprises 49 benefices, of which 22 are unions, and 27 single parishes or portions of parishes; three are in the gift of the Crown, three in lay patronage, and the remainder of the patronage of the archbishop. The total number of parishes or districts is 103, of which 92 are rectories and vicarages, and the remainder perpetual or impropriate curacies, or parishes without provision for the cure of souls. There are 31 churches, and two other buildings in which divine service is performs; and 27 glebe-houses.

In the R.C. divisions the archbishop of Cashel is primate and metropolitan of Munster; his dioceses are Cashel and Emly, to which the six bishopricks of Cloyne and Ross, Cork, Kerry, Killaloe, Limerick, and Waterford and Lismore, are suffragan. The diocese of Kilfenora, which is united to Kilmacdaugh, in the province of Connaught, is alternately suffragan to the archbishopricks of Cashel and Tuam.The united R.C. dioceses of Cashel and Emly comprise 47 parochial unions or districts, containing 88 chapels served by 46 parish priests and 63 coadjutors or curates. The parochial benefices of Thurles and Moycarkey are held by the archbishop; the cathedral, situated in the town of Thurles, is a very fine structure. There are one Presbyterian and four other dissenting places of worship.

The city is comprised within the parishes of St. John the Baptist and St. Patrick's Rock; the former containing 5207, and the latter 9454, statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living of St. John's is a rectory entire, united time immemorially to the entire rectory of Balltclerihan and the rectory and vicarage of Coleman, together constituting the corps of the deanery of Cashel, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Crown. The tithes of the parish amount to 341.5.10, and of the union to 483.9.4; the glebe comprises 100 acres at Deansgrove, and there is also a glebe of 11 acres at Ballyclerihan, but no deanery or glebe-house. Besides several tenements, the lands belonging to the dean comprise 203 1/2 acres, let on lease at a rent of 58 pounds and annual renewal fines of 40 pounds; the gross annual revenue of the deanery, including tithes and lands, as returned by the Commissioners, amounts to 625 pounds.
The church, erected on the site of a former edifice and completed in the year 1783, is a handsome and spacious structure of stone, with a lofty spire of good proportions, and serves both for the cathedral and the parochial church; the result of a survey made by Archbishop Agar having proved the old cathedral church to be incapable of restoration, the two were consolidated by act of council in 1749, and a portion of the economy fund of the cathedral was appropriated to the erection of this church, and lately towards keeping it in repair; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have also recently made a grant of 138.18.6 for repairing it. The living of St. Patrick's Rock is a rectory and vicarage, the rectory appropriate to the economy fund of the cathedral church, and the vicarage to that of the vicar's choral; the tithes amount to 701.5.9, of which 362.5.8 belongs to the former, and 339.0.1 to the latter. In the R.C. divisions the two parishes form a union or district called Cashel, which is the union or parish of the Dean. The chapel of St. John's, situated in Friar-street, is a spacious and elegant structure, now undergoing extensive alteration and repair, including the erection of a spire; it is faced with hewn stone, and, when completed, will be very ornamental to the city. behind it is a convent of nuns of the order of the Presentation; and there is another chapel at Rosegreen, in the parish of St. Patrick's Rock. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan methodists, a neat building situated in the Main-street, and erected by subscription on a site granted at a nominal rent by W. Pennefather, Esq., in which part of the old prison built by Edward I was incorporated; it was opened for divine service on the 2nd of July, 1833. At the entrance to the city from Dublin are the buildings of the charter school, founded in 1751, and towards the support of which Archbishop Price contributed 50 pounds per annum during his lifetime, and at his death bequeathed 300; it was also endowed with 600 by Archbishop Palliser, and, in 1746, with a lease for 99 years of 27 acres of land by the corporation: for many years 83 boys were supported and educated in this establishment, but since the withdrawal of parliamentary aid from the society at Dublin, the school has been discontinued. a parochial school is supported by annual grants of 21 pounds from the archbishop and 10 pounds late currency from the dean, in addition to which the dean and chapter provide a school-house and books. A national school was established by the late Rev. Dr. Wright, parish priest, which is aided by a grant of 25 per annum from the Board of Education, and by collections at the Roman Catholic chapel: the school-house is a good slated building erected by Dr. Wright at an expense of 332. A national school is also conducted by the Presentation nuns, and is aided by an annual grant of 32 pounds from the Board, and a donation of 60 per annum from the parish priest: there is also a Sunday school well attended. The total number of children on the books of the day schools, which are in the parish of St. John, is 584, of whom 206 are boys and 378 girls; and in the different pay schools there are, in the same parish, 400 boys and 180 girls, and in that of St. Patrick's Rock, 65 boys and 55 girls. The county infirmary is a handsome and commodious building, situated on the green: it contains 40 beds, and is now being enlarged for the reception of a greater number of patients: in 1835, the number admitted into the house was 325, and of out-patients 4386; the total expenditure for that year amounted to 1043.14.9 1/2. A charitable loan society has been recently established for advancing sums of money on security for necessitous tradesmen, who repay it by weekly installments in the proportion of 1 shilling in the guinea.

The principal gentlemen's seats in the immediate vicinity are Newpark, the residence of M. Pennefather, Esq, D.L., Richmond, of R. Butler H. Lowe, Esq. D.L., Longfield, of R. Long, D.L., Esq.; Rockview, of S. Cooper, Esq., Dualla, of J. Scully, Esq., Ballinamona, of W. Murphy, Esq., Deer Park, of J. Hare, Esq., and Race-Course Lodge, of Avary Jordan, Esq. The Rock of Cashel is an extraordinary mass rising on every side with a precipitous and rugged elevation, and consisting of concentric strata of limestone; the remains of the ancient structures by which it is crowned have an imposing and highly romantic appearance. Among these, Cormac's Chapel, standing in a line parallel with the south side of the choir of the cathedral, is one of the best preserved buildings of that age in the kingdom; the walls and roof are of stone, the latter finely groined. The entrance doorway is a Norman arch richly moulded and ornamented with zig-zag and bead-work; above it is a device in bas relief of a centaur shooting at an animal with a bow and arrow; the groining of the roof springs from low pillars with capitals variously ornamented. At the eastern end is a large recess, separated from the western part by a circular arch highly enriched and ornamented with grotesque heads of men and animals: within this recess is another of smaller dimensions, probably intended for the altar. The walls of each portion of the building are relieved with blank arches, and the pilasters from which they spring have been richly ornamented with various devices. A window has been recently opened by the Rev. Archdeacon Cotton, which has rendered visible some very ancient painting in fresco in the recesses of the walls; fourteen stone figures, representing the twelve apostles and others, have also been discovered. The exterior walls of the chapel are, on the south side, ornamented with blank arches supported by pillars with grotesque heads; and attached to the building is a square tower, strengthened with bands of masonry and similarly ornamented.

The ancient cathedral, now in ruins, was a spacious cruciform structure, with a central tower supported on pointed arches, and generally in the early English style of architecture; it is in several parts embattled, and with other features of a military character presents a venerable and singularly picturesque appearance. But it is more striking as a grand and well-broken mass, than remarkable either for the elegance or richness of its details. The only monument worthy of notice is that of Archbishop Magrath, who is represented in a recumbant posture; it bears the date 1621, and was erected by himself about one year before his death. One the south side of the cathedral is the vicar's hall; and at the eastern angle of the north transcept is an ancient round tower, in a very perfect state of preservation, its stone roof being still entire; the several stages were lighted by windows, of which the ledges are still remaining; the original doorway has been walled up, and another opened leading into the cathedral. The Dominican friary, situated in Moorlane, was, after its dissolution, granted in perpetuity by Henry VIII to Walter Fleming, in capite, at the annual rent of 2s.6d.: this was one of the noblest buildings of the order in Ireland, and considerable remains of its spacious cruciform church may yet be seen between the rock and the Main-Street. At a short distance from the town are the remains of Hore Abbey, which are noticed in the description of the parish of that name. At the back of Friar-street formerly were the remains of the Franciscan monastery, the site of which is partly occupied by the R.C. chapel; after its dissolution it was granted , in the 31st of Henry VIII, to Edmund Butler, Archbishop of Cashel, to be held by him in capite at an annual rent of 2s.10d. On the ascent to the cathedral is a stone, on which, according to tradition, the Kings of Munster were annually inaugurated. This place gives the titles of Viscount and Earl to the family of Moore, Earls of Mountcashel.

Cashel RC Parish
consists of
civil parishes of Horeabbey,Kilbragh,St Johnbaptist,St Patricksrock,Tullamain
records start in 1793

South Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Cashel RC parish starts 1793

Cashel Poor law union
consists of
- Ardmayle - Ballintemple - Ballygriffin - Ballysheehan - Baptistgrange - Barrettsgrange - Boytonrath - Brickendown - Clogher - Cloneen - Clonoulty - Colman - Cooleagh - Coolmundry - Dangandargan - Dogstown - Donaghmore - Donohill - Drangan - Erry - Fertiana - Fethard - Gaile - Graystown - Holycross - Horeabbey - Kilbragh - Kilcommon - Kilconnell - Kilcooly - Killeenasteena - Killenaule - Kilmore - Kilpatrick - Kiltinan - Knockgraffon - Magorban - Magowry - Mora - Moyaliff - Oughterleague - Outeragh - Peppardstown - Railstown - Rathcool - Rathkennan - Redcity - Relickmurry & Athassel - St. Johnbaptist - St. Johnbaptist & St. Patricksrock - St. Johnstown - St. Patricksrock - Tullamain

Cashel Town
Parish of St. Johnbaptist

Cashel Town
Parish of St. Patricksrock

Parish of Rahelty

Parish of Mora

Castle-Connel 1837

a post-town and parish, partly in the barony of Owney and Arra, county of Tipperary, and partly in that of Clanwilliam, county of Limerick, but chiefly in the county and city of Limerick, and province of Munster, 5 3/4 miles N.E. from Limerick, and 88 S.W. by W. from Dublin; containing 5616 inhabitants, of which number, 1313 are in the town. This place, which was anciently called Carrig-Cnuil, derives its name from an ancient fortress, originally a seat of the O'Briens, Kings of Thomond, and in which a grandson of Brian Boroihme is said to have been treacherously murdered by the reigning prince. At the period of the English invasion this was a fortress of some eminence. In 1199 King John granted five knights' fees to William de Burgh, a baron of the family Fitz-Aldelm, in which was included this parish, with a condition that he should erect a castle therein. This and the adjoining parishes were the first places in Limerick of which the English obtained possession. In 1578 Queen Elizabeth wrote letters of condolence to William de Burgh for the loss of his eldest son, who was slain in a skirmish with the Earl of Desmond, and the same year created him Baron of Castle-Connel, and gave him a yearly pension of 100 marks. In the war of 1641 Lord Castle-Connel forfeited his estate and title, which were restored on the accession of James II; the title became extinct in 1691, but the estate continues in the De Burgh family. In 1651 a strong garrison was placed in the castle by Gen. Ireton, while on his march to blockade Limerick. It was strongly garrisoned by the troops of James II, in 1690, but on the 12th of August, in that year, was surrendered at discretion by Capt. Barnwell to Brigadier Steuart. On the retreat of the English army, it was again garrisoned by James's troops, which in the following year defended it for two days against the Prince of Hesse Darmstadt, and after its surrender it was blown up by order of Gen. De Ginkell.

The town, which is pleasantly situated on the eastern bank of the Shannon, which separates Limerick from Clare, lies a mile and a half west of the Dublin road, and in 1831, contained 178 houses, many of which are handsome villas and cottages of modern erection. It is resorted to during the summer, for the benefit of its spa, the waters of which resemble those of Spa in Germany. The soil around it is of a calcareous nature, and the sediment of the water has been successfully applied for the cure of ulcers, while the waters have proved very efficacious in scorbutic affectations, bilious complaints, obstructions in the liver, jaundice, and worms; they are a strong chalybeate, having a mixture of absorbent earth and marine salt. Treatises have been written on their nature, and many persons have been stated to have been cured by them, after ineffectually trying the continental spas. The waters rise from between limestone and basalt, filtering through a thin layer of blue unctuous earth, and yielding a constant supply. The spring is enclosed in a mean building, and the surplus water flows into the Shannon. There are two good hotels and a number of commodious lodging-houses in the town; a coach runs daily to Limerick, and there is a daily post. A constabulary police force has been stationed here, and petty sessions are held every alternate Monday. There is a patent for fairs on Easter-Monday, June 1st, July 16th, and Oct. 4th, of which only the first is now held.
The parish comprises 5850 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about three-fourths of which are arable and pasture land, and the remainder is common pasture and reclaimable bog on the bank of the Shannon: it contains also a large undefined portion of the Bog of Allen. The lands are principally under tillage; the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture rapidly improving by the introduction of green crops; lime stone is abundant. The bulk of the inhabitants are agriculturists, or dependent on the visitors to the spa*; but many obtain employment in cutting turf and conveying it to Limerick, particularly for its large distillery; River Lawn, a mile below the town, is an extensive bleach-green and mill; and at Annacotty, near Mount Shannon, one of the first paper-mills established in Ireland was erected by Mr. Joseph Sexton. The parish is connected with the county of Clare by an ancient structure called O'Brien's Bridge, originally built by one of the royal line of Thomond, and in later times often strongly contested by the various parties who strove to obtain possession either of the important fortress of Castle-Connel, or the wealthy city of Limerick. It was partially destroyed by the Earl of Ormond, in 1556, but was soon afterwards restored. The Shannon is not navigable here until within about a mile of the bridge, where the canal from the Clare side joins the river, there being many shoals, rocks and cascades in its channel. It abounds with trout and salmon, of which latter there is a valuable fishery at the waterfall called the Leap. The falls here are numerous, there being a descent of 50 feet in less than three miles, and add greatly to the beauty of the scenery, which is embellished with the mansions and parks of the neighboring gentry, and the ruins of three ancient castles , that of Castle-Connel being in the parish, and those of Newcastle and Castle-Troy being distinctly visible from its higher parts, while the Keeper mountains form a noble background on the north-east. The climate is good, the air remarkably pure, and great improvements have recently been made by reclaiming bog, etc., particularly by the proprietors of the Limerick distillery. Among the seats, the most distinguished is Mount Shannon, the residence of the Earl of Clare, and one of the finest mansions in the south of Ireland: the hall and library are particularly entitled to notice, and the grounds are laid out with great taste. Not far distant is Hermitage, the beautiful seat of Lord Massy; Caherline, of W.H. Gabbett, Esq.; Prospect, of Godfrey Massy, Esq.; New Garden, of Massy Rives, Esq.; Shannon View, of W. White, Esq.; Belmont, of Capt. Stackpoole; Woodlands, of J. Tuthill, Esq.; Castle-Connel House, of H.O. Callaghan, Esq.; Stormont, of Mrs. Kelly; Doonass, of Sir Hugh Dillon Massy, Bart.; Fairy Hall, of H.O. Bridgeman, Esq.; and Mulcaher, of the Rev. J. Crampton. A handsome range of well-built houses, called the Touline, three stories high, with projecting roofs, was erected here in 1812, by the late W. Gabbett, Esq., from a fund raised by subscription; but not answering the expectation of the subscribers, they have been sold. Opposite these buildings is an island of about four acres, connected with the main land by a causeway 23 feet wide. About two miles north of Castle-Connel is the small but pretty village of Montpelier, which has a sulphureous spa of great virtue in ulcerous and cutancous diseases; but in consequence of other water being allowed to mingle with it, its efficacy has been diminished and few resort to it.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, episcopally united, in 1803, to the rectory and vicarage of Kilnegaruff, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to 244.12.3 3/4., and of the benefice to 516.7.1 1/2. The church, erected in 1809, by aid of a grant of 250 from the late Board of First Fruits, was greatly enlarged in 1830, and is now a beautiful cruciform edifice with a lofty octagonal spire. there is no glebe-house, but a glebe of 2a.0r.14p.. The R.C. union is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is a large plain edifice. The parochial schools are chiefly supported by the rector; and there are a female school near Mount Shannon, supported by Lady Isabella Fitzgibbon, and an infant's school supported by voluntary contributions. In these schools are about 90 boys and 180 girls; and there are four private schools, in which are about 260 children. A dispensary was established in 1819. The only remains of the ancient and strong fortress of Castle-Connel are part of the tower and fragments of some other parts, situated on an isolated limestone rock, having an area of 42 yards by 27 1/2. The only other vestige of antiquity is one the island opposite the Tontine, which was formerly called Inis-Cluan; it consists of the remains of a friary, founded in 1291 by Renald de Burgh, for Franciscans, and has lately been converted into out-houses to a handsome newly erected cottage.
* The spa was essentially out-of-business by 1837

Parish of Mortlestown

Parish of Kilmastulla

Parish of Ballycahill

Parish of Tullaghorton

Parish of Glenkeen

Parish of Roscrea

Parish of Templemichael

Parish of Relickmurry and Athassel

Parish of Templeree

Parish of Castletownarra

Castlemoyle North
Parish of Ardmayle

Castlemoyle South
Parish of Ardmayle

Parish of Relickmurry and Athassel

Parish of Aghnameadle

Parish of Dromineer

Parish of Castletownarra

Castletownarra 1837

a parish, in the barony of Owney and Arra, County of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 8 miles W.N.W. from Nenagh; containing 4110 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Shannon, and on the road from Nenagh to Killaloe; it comprises 6697 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 5110 per annum: about 720 acres are mountain, and the remainder is good arable and pasture land. At Garry-Kennedy are some very extensive slate quarries belonging to the mining company of Ireland, from which great quantities of slate are raised and shipped from a quay which has been constructed there, for which the steam navigation on the Shannon, and the canal, afford every facility. The scenery is strikingly diversified; it includes a large portion of Lough Derg, and the mountains of Clare and Galway. Castlelough, the seat of Anthony Parker, Esq., is finely situated in a richly cultivated demesne of 640 acres, embellished with timber of stately growth and with young and thriving plantations; the deer park is extensive and well-stocked. The other seats within the parish are Lansdowne, the residence of Mrs. Parker, and those of G. Watson and __ Kent, Esqs., at Garry-Kennedy.. A constabulary police force has been stationed here; and fairs, chiefly for cattle, sheep, and pigs, are held at Portroe on March 22nd, May 14th, July 23rd, and Nov. 11th. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, episcopally united, in 1781, to the rectories and vicarages of Youghal-Arra and Burgess-Beg, forming the union of Castletown-Arra, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to 304.12.3 3/4, and the whole benefice to 997...16.11 1/4. The church, of an ancient structure of simple style, is pleasingly situated on the margin of Lough Derg. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of 250 and a loan of 550 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1820. The glebe comprises 3 acres, and there are other glebe-lands in the union, comprising together 4a.3r., making in the whole 7a.3r. The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established church: the chapel is at Portroe. A parochial school, in which about 50 boys and 30 girls are instructed, is supported by the rector; and there is a pay school, in which are about 120 boys and 70 girls. The old castle from which this place derived its name was formerly the residence of the Parkers, but is now in ruins; the demesne skirts the Shannon for a considerable distance, commanding some beautiful and extensive views.

Castletownarra (Portroe) RC Parish
consists of
civil parishes of Castletownarra
records start in 1849

Castletown-Arra Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 17 GV#: 19
Church of Ireland records start 1802
consists of RC parishes: Castletownarra (Portroe) RC parish starts 1849

consists of
Ballingeer; Ballycarridoge; Castlelough; Castletown; Cloneybrien; Cloneygowny; Cooneen; Corbally; Cornode; Faha; Garranashingaun; Garrykennedy; Garrymacteige; Glencrue; Islands in The River Suir; Killoran; Kilparteen; Lackamore; Lackaroe; Laghtea; Lansdown; Lisheenbrien; Lisheentyrone; Lisheentyrone South; Scilly Island; Shesharoe; Town of Portroe; Townlough Lower; Townlough Upper

Castletownarra (Portroe)
North Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Castletownarra (Portroe) RC parish starts 1849

Parish of Kilnarath

Parish of Killenaule

Parish of Solloghodmore