Isaac Webb Family of Carroll County, Virginia

Webb Family

Elder Isaac Webb (1833-1913)

According to the Isaac Webb bible, Isaac Webb born at 2 P.M.

According to the Webb Reunion minutes, p.19 Isaac Webb "joined the Primitive Baptist 1857. He was in the ministry about 50 years, had the care of eleven churches, taught twenty five schools, County Treasurer 12 years, military officer 15 years. Served two terms in the legislature at Richmond and Judge of Carroll County two terms."

"First, he served New River church the mother church of New River, Smiths River and Indian Creek Associations. This church being at that time about ninety-four years old, having been constituted in 1774 and being of small membership. Elder Webb was authorized to assign the members to membership with Pilgrims Rest church, in Pulaski county, Virginia, of which church he was also pastor. From Pilgrims Rest church Bethel church, in the same county, was constituted, which church he also served as pastor. And Reed Island church was constituted from Bethel church. He was also pastor of Harmony church from which Mt. Zion and Little Vine churches were constituted. He also served, as pastor, the churches at concord, New Hope, Fellowship and Laurel Fork, in the New River Association: Stuarts Creek of Fishers River Association, Martin, of Zion Association and he labored much among other churches....

"Upon the resignation of Elder Thomas Dickens in 1886, Elder Webb was chosed Moderator of the New River Association in which capacity he served faithfully till his death.... His watch words were: Unity, Peace and Fellowship, to which he lived and for which he earnestly labored.... Seven days before his death he said to his son Elder D.S. Webb, 'put up my sword; I cannot go forth.' " ( P.G. Lester, Minutes of the New River Primitive Baptist Association, for 1913)

"Early in the civil conflict between the states he entered the army and served in the prime of his young manhood as a private and as First Lieutenant of his company until his command-- General Johnson, gave up his sword at Bentonville, N.C. whereupon he returned to his home, his companions and little ones, resumed his former citizenship and domestic relations of life, and at once began to build up and replenish a devastated and smitten country, and to provide for himself and his household." (unidentified obituary)

According to John Perry Alderman, Isaac Webb left for the army on May 15, 1862 and mustered into Company G 63rd Virginia as a 3rd Ltd. at Wytheville. He was transferred to Company I when the regiment was reorganized Jan. 17, 1863 as a lst Ltd., to Tenn. for the summer and the fall in Georgia. He took part in the battles of Chattanooga and the Atlanta campaign. In the fall of 1863 Captain Martin was captured at which time Isaac became company commander a job he held for the balance of his service. He surrendered at Greensboro, North Carolina on May 12, 1862 (sic) as lst Ltd and commanding officer of Company A, 54th Va. Battalion. According to Weaver in the 63rd Virginia Infantry, Isaac Webb was among those who surrendered 26 April 1865 under the command of General Joseph E. Johnston at Greensboro. Many among this group were paroled at Greensboro on May 1 or 2, 1865. I have been unable to find personal records of Isaac Webb on this matter at the Archives.

Isaac Webb applied for and received a Civil War pension. He claimed total disability which was aggravated by a broken leg in 1885. He stated he served under Bragg and Joseph E. Johnson, having left the army at Johnson's surrender.

From a letter to his parents, John Webb and Hannah from Camp Vance, Southampton, Va. January 24, 1863: "We are near Black (Water) River 60 miles east of Petersburg. This is the best country to get timber for such business that I ever saw, the pines are about large enough in common to make cabins and are so tall that one tree makes 2 to 4 logs and are so thickly grown that by the time a place is cleared out large enough for a house and street the timbers on the place will be about sufficient for the buildings and we hunt large pines for boards, but of all sorry firewood green pines is the most, if it was not for dead pines and lightwood we could not make green pine burn. This is a low level country and the water stands in ponds over a great portion of the land in the winter and makes very marshy traveling. It is hard to tell which way Black River runs. It is so near level. The water is nearly the colour of rye coffee and tastes like pine roots. We have a damp cloudy and rainy spell of weather now. Our company is divided. Giles S. Martin is Captain, myself lst Lieutenant.... The rations are 1 pound of bread and 3/4 pound of pork or salt meat per day. It is small rations but I think that our Regiment has faired (sic) very well so far. They have a good deal of marching to do but they murmer (sic) more than what is necessary."

From a letter to his parents from Wytheville, Virginia, dated Wednesday April 29, 1863: "I was gratified to learn that you was all doing as well as what you are, under such disadvantages as you all have to undergo, and I was heartily glad that they had got that couple of deserters for they were not fit to remain in the Country committing of unprincipled deprivations.... The deserters are going on at a terrible rate.... "

From a letter dated 4 Feb, 1913 to his grandson, Estil R. Webb: "My family and friends set me my 79th birthday dinner Nov. 26. I am now in my 80th year and your grandmother will be the 20th of this months. 110 come and dinnered with me. Some were old gray headed soldiers. 28 of them ate dinner at one sitting down. 53 years ago we were young and stout dark haired and strait mostly, but now our heads were gray, bald, and bent. The old soldiers enjoyed the dinner wonderfully, and talked their old war jokes & experiences of war with delight & stayed nearly all day, for the day was bright."

From a letter to Estil Webb dated Dec. 20, 1910, "My land begins at Johnny Horton's and is Joined by Prices', Dave's, George Worrell's; and William Goad's to the Bailey place, near five miles."

From the Autobiography of Elder Isaac Webb: "I was born in Grayson, County, Virginia, November 26, 1833, and was the sixth child of six sons and three daughters of John and Hannah Webb. Mother was a Primitive Baptist. She taught me to read songs and the scriptures from my seventh year.... When about eight years of age, I dreamed a large bird came from the east, its flight thrilled my heart as it lighted near me. It plumed its wings and adjusted itself, and it was the Saviour, traveling west. I asked to go with Him. He said, 'You are not cleansed'. I ran to the creek near by, and washed to all the virtue there was in effort and water, and pronounced myself clean. But He said, 'This is not the cleansing meant'.... I married Miss Melissa (sic) J. Martin. Soon after, as I walked out to my work about 9 one morning, it seemed spoken to me, 'Son, give Me thy heart.' I thought my sins forgiven, and I was free from sin both soul and body. I dreamed that I must take up the hymn book and the Bible.... I joined Fellowship Primitive Baptist Church, first Saturday in December, 1857. I conferred with flesh and blood as to the ministry, til I was 31. But lying on my army blanket one day near the Ga., and Ala., line, much troubled over my rebellion against the call, I vowed if I lived 'til the war ended, and impressions remained, I should obey.... I returned from war May 5, 1865, and in August while mowing the lines came to mind: 'The harvest fields are waiting, the laborers are few; and Zion, She doth languish; O shepherds where are you?' I answered: 'Here am I, Send Me.' In March 1868, I was ordained. I have been pastor of eleven churches, am pastor of four now, 1907. Am moderator of New River Association. I was squire eight years, have taught 25 schools, served two sessions in the legislature, and Judge under part of two appointments, and over twelve years as County Treasurer.... Farewell." Carroll County was formed from Grayson County.

Booker Goad said of his grandfather, he never saw anything he didn't get amusement from.

On 14 Apr 1906 Isaac wrote his granddaughter, Macy Goad who was eight years old. "I do not know whether you and Booker can read your letters or not... I have been walking with my cane and it tires my hand, and it makes my hand nervous when I write... Grand Ma is churning while I write... She is all the company I have. We are both going on 73 years old."

According to the Octavia Webb bible, Isaac Webb "was one of the greatest builders known, was pleasant company, a good and cheerful Father always teaching good lessons to his family. He became feeble with dropsy and sat on his chair night and day to sleep for 2 years But borne his afflictions patiently.... Eld Isaac Webb's funeral was preached Aug. 1913 by Elders J.D. Vass, F.P. Branscome, Mat Blancett, and C.C. Phibbs." (Aug. 12, 1913)

The following is from an unidentified obituary for Elder Isaac Webb written by William Lafayette Utt dated September 8, 1913. On the beautiful Sabbath morning of September 7th 1913, at an early hour, carriages, wagons and conveyances of nearly every kind, on horse back and on foot, hundreds of people gathered at Fellowship Church to be present and do their part in the last public tribute of respect to the best citizen Carroll County has ever produced. The crowd gathered till there were many from far and near of other counties, making the number present up into the hundreds and hundreds." In a letter to Elder F.P. Branscome, Malesia said of her husband Isaac, "How often I have wished and looked for him and oft have heard or seen him come and many times through rain hail or snow or in the darkness of the night. He ever seeming cheerful and has found us all alive that were living when he left. He says that wealth could not give him such comforts as he enjoys on returning in the darkness of the night when in sight of the home he can see my light in the window and find us all well."

In an interview with Malesia Webb Akers, 26 June 1989, she stated that Isaac "came back without his body being touched - four years.... His mother (Hannah Coche Webb) told him that she wouldn't have any confidence in him being called a preacher if he got a scratch on his body, and he never got a scratch on his body."

Malesia Jane Martin (1834 - 1926)

Isaac and Malesia were married by John Cock. (Isaac Webb bible)

"Sister Malesia J. Webb - Melesia (sic) J. Webb, daughter Isaac and Elisabeth Martin was born Feb. 20, 1834 and was married to Eld. Isaac Webb June 17, 1852. She professed a hope in Christ and with Eld. Webb Joined the church at Fellowship in 1857 in which they faithfully lived. She made a great sacrifice of her life in holding out a helping hand to her family, church and the needy, strugling (sic) hard through trials of the Civil War to keep food and raiment for her little ones, praying for her husband's return to them and his country, which by the grace of God was granted. Her suffering was intense for five months with heart dropsey, during which time she talked much of her future home and on the bright Sabbath morning Oct. 17, 1926 she reached forth and called 'Come here mother.... I am going to sleep.' (Her mother having been dead for 30 yrs) and passed away with a calm and peaceful resignation at the home of her Son in law and daughter John A. and Octavia J. Goad where she had been well cared for the last several years of her life. On the 18th of October her body was buried at the old home place the writer conducting the funeral service in the presence of a large concourse of people. Her only living brother and sister being present. Deacon Charles Martin Aged 95 and Annora C. Gardner aged 80 together with all her living children." Eld. D. Smith Webb aged 72 [from the original records of Fellowship (Snake Creek) Primitive Baptist Church]

According to Archie Goad there is a family tradition that "Malesia's father was considered to be wealthy in his day and owned slaves. During the Civil War, his son Giles went into the war as a Captain.... Having money, Giles was able to afford nice uniforms. Grandmother Malesia wanted Grandfather Webb to look as good as her brother Giles. She obtained good material and made Grandfather's uniforms so that he would be dressed as nice as her brother."

In an interview with Malesia Webb Akers, June 26, 1989, she said she could remember Uncle Smith preach how "Mother was inspired to cook a good meal," when she had insight that Isaac was going to return from the War. She washed and dressed the children and went to the top of the hill next to the house where she saw her husband returning. "Grandpa threw up his hands as he was coming up the hill." It is said that she had a favorite tea pot in her hands which she threw in excitement when she saw him.

Malesia applied for a Civil War widow's pension 4 Apr 1914 which she did receive. Virginia Webb Mitchell wrote, "Malesia Jane had 5 children to care for during the three years that Isaac was away at war. She was expecting her fifth child when Isaac left for the army on May 15, 1862.... She obviously was equal to the occasion whenever Yankees were pillaging the area; in later years she showed her great" grandsons "the thicket of trees and bushes where she hid the horses until the marauders were gone. She protected her food supplies by burying them in the ground and covering them with brush." Malesia also said that "the colored people was rising and Grandpa had a silk jacket. She rounded it up.... and stuffed it under the plank walk to hide it so they wouldn't steal it. They did come through there. They didn't get it."

In a letter to her grandson, Booker, Malesia J. wrote, "Your grandfather (Elder Isaac Webb) wore his life away serving his churches; as he neared the end, he said: 'I cannot feel any greater assurance of heaven than I have left in time past, while serving ( ) -ence to my God.' He always went when called on, through all kinds of weather, making it his chief joy to fill his calling. The bad weather was no excuse with either of us in going to church. Before your grandfather was pastor, we had good pastors.... I am feeble now and have outlived the most of my comrades; and now is the younger generation's day to fill their assignments, and they should study how to fill it in welldoing.

"I am now eighty-six years old, since Feb. 20, 1920 I raised 9 children, have 85 grandchildren, and 158 great grand children." (Malesia J. Webb, Messenger of Truth, Vol.XXIV, No.5, May, 1920, p.176)

Several family members have related how Malesia cared for the sick and would wear a bag containing asafetida (one of various spellings) commonly used at that time to ward off germs and illness. It was most malodorous, and it was thought that inhalation of it would prevent the inhalation of illness. It's use would be in the same category as the use of camphor and garlic. In 1920 she is living with her daughter Octavia and John Goad. Malesia died of dropsy and her funeral was preached at the cemetery by Eld. J.P. Goad, Oct. 18, 1926. She died at the age of 92 years; she was a good mother, she spent the last 13 years of her life with her daughter, Octavia Goad. (notes from Octavia Webb Goad) According to the Isaac Webb bible, Malesia died on the Sabbath morning. "Isaac Webb and Malesia Jane Webb lived together 61 yrs."

My mother, Lorna Kinsler, says she remembers the wonderful times she had with Malesia, her great grandmother, when she was a little girl. She states that Malesia would cross fields and climb fences with her as they went to other homes rather than take the long way around. She was amazed at the agility and vigor of Malesia in her later years.

[email protected] Send email to preparer:

Return to Main Page