Back to home page:
Last Revised November 2003
Please see: The Genealogy of Walter Gilbert
http://otal.umd.edu/~walt/gen/htmfile/2560.htm for more
of the following:
William Judson came from Yorkshire, England,
in 1634, with his wife, Grace, and three sons, Joseph, Jeremiah, and Joshua.
He first settled in Concord, Massachusetts, where a town act of February
5, 1636, refers to "Goodman Judson's lott." He lived in Concord for about
four years and then appears to have been a original proprietor of Stratford,
Connecticut, in 1639. He lived on the southwest corner of Watch-house Hill.
His "stone house" occupied a spot just to the west of the present (1939)
Judson house, now the home of the Stratford Historical Society. In 1644 he
and John Hurd are engaged as a committee from Stratford "who shall demand
what every family will give" for the "mayntenance of scollers at Cambridge."
A few years later he removed to New Haven,
where he "took the oath of Fidelity." March 7, 1647, he purchased a house
and homelot. The next day he applied to the court to be "freed from watching,
but the courte sawe no cause to grant it," and again in June, 1649, he renewed
the request, "but nothing was done."
He gave to his son, Joseph, his house and
homelot on Academy Hill, and to his sons Jeremiah and Joshua, homelots adjoining
each other, on the west side of lower Main Street, with much other land
He became an owner in the iron works in East
Haven and made his residence in New Haven, where he died. His will was dated
September 20, 1661, and recorded in New Haven. His estate amounted to £369,
The American Genealogist, vol. 21, p. 269.
Jacobus, Donald Lines, The Judson Family
of Stratford and Woodbury, Connecticut
"History of Stratford, Connecticut", by William
Howard Wilcoxson, p. 92.
"McCall-Tidwell and Allied Families", pp.
Jacobus, Donald Lines, Families of Ancient
New Haven, vol. viii 1932, p. 1981
Talcott, S. V., Genealogical Notes of New
York and New England Families, 1883, p.724