Walden Early Settlers

                                                   Walden, Vermont

               Early Settlers-Alphabetical listing


Excerpted from:

"A History of Walden, Vermont" compiled by the History Committee. Sponsored by the Walden Public Library.  1986.  Revised 1990. Library of Congress catalog card number:   86 - 82289 Produced by Greenhills Books, Randolph Center, Vermont 05061 Permission  for use on this page by Elizabeth Hatch, Chairwoman, The History Committee.

The book ($16.00 U.S. plus s & h) may be purchased from the Walden Town Clerk:  

                                        Walden Town Clerk

                                   RR #1, Box 57

                                   W. Danville, VT 05873


A History of Walden, Vermont

Chapter 3 Segments from pp 26 - 40

  Early Settlement - Early Settlers

    Walden was named after an officer in General Moses Hazen's command, who was left in charge of the blockhouse on the Bayley-Hazen Military Road in Walden in the winter of 1779-1780.

    For the most part Walden, covering six square miles, is quite hilly, rising to its highest part in the north central part of town.  The Chief rocks are slate and granite.  The majority of trees are maple, spruce, fir, cedar, beech and yellow and white birch.

    Because of Walden's high elevation, the winters are noted for their snow storms and bitter cold.  An early resident described the town as being an ideal place for sleigh rides in that there are nine months of winter and three months of late fall.

    After the first major settlers there were few emigrants for several years.  The farms of the first settlers were mainly carried on by their sons, indicating the attachment there used to be to mountain homes.

   At one time there were 25 voters by the name of Perkins who descended from the first settler, Nathaniel, and his brothers, John and Joseph.

    The early farmers toiled very hard in deep soil which was, and is, quite stony, and for the most part they produced hay, grain, butter, maple sugar and potatoes.  Corn was seldom attempted.

    On November 6, 1780, the township was granted, and on August 18, 1781, it was chartered to Moses Robinson and 64 others by the Vermont Legislature.

    Early Walden consisted of several small communities.

    Noyesville, a post village in the eastern part of town, had a store, school, sawmill, blacksmith shop, feather duster shop, a lumber dressing and gristmill, a factory which manufactured potato starch, several dwellings and a Methodist Church built in 1856.

    Walden Four Corners, in the geographical center of town, was at one time a post village with a store, mill, school and dwellings along the County Road toward North Walden.

    There was a church built by the Congregationalists in North Walden and also a school.

    South Walden in the southwestern part of town included Houston Hill and Taylorville.  The Bayley-Hazen Road ran through much of South Walden.  The old stage coach inn was located at the crossroads, and there was a school, store, creamery, blacksmith's shop, several dwellings and the first church built in 1825 as a Christian Union Society Meeting House, now known as the South Walden United Methodist Church.

    In Taylorville there were a gristmill, a sawmill and a carriage shop.

    On April 20, 1977, the state officially changed the name of Meadow Brook, which flows through South Walden on land owned by the town's first settler, to Perkins Meadow Brook.

    Walden Heights, the townfolks' name for the area where there was once a railroad station, a store, a school and a post office, is now the location of the fire department, the town clerk's office and a school.

The first permanent settlement in Walden was that of Nathaniel Perkins, who came from Northfield, N.H., with his wife, Martha, and two children, Jonathan and Betsy, in 1789.  They were the only family here for about three years before others began to arrive.  Their son, Jesse, the first white child born here, was born in the block house on November 19, 1790.  The first white female was his sister, Hannah, born on April 30, 1792.

After the Perkins family, the order of settlement in town was Nathan Barker, Joseph Burley, Samuel and Ezekiel Gilman, Elisha and Benjamin Cate, Samuel Huckins, Robert Carr and Major Robinson.

    The town records show there were 16 voters at the Freeman's Meeting for 1797 to select a representative to Congress.  Louis R. Morris received 16 votes.  No other person was nominated.

    Voters listed in the records for September 4, 1802 were Elisha CATE, Joseph GILMAN, Nathaniel DOW, Gideon SABIN, Samuel CARR, Edward GILMAN, Nathan JOSEPH, David EDWARDS, Theodore RICHARDS, Timothy GILMAN, Asa KITTREDGE, John STEVENS, James BELL, Daniel DAVISON, Joseph HUSTIN, Benjamin P. CANFIELD, Moses GEORGE, John WEAKS, Samuel LORD, Benjamin CATE, William MONTGOMERY, Thomas FARRINGTON, Thomas HALE, Capt. David GILMAN, Jonathan DOW, Wm. WHITE, Thomas RANSON, Nathaniel PERKINS, Benjamin SMITH, Israel PAGE, Joseph PERKINS, Enoch FOLSOM, Timothy HAINES, Nathaniel FARRINGTON, John BURBANK, Nathaniel BURBANK, Edward GOULD, David JOHNSON, Nathaniel GOULD, Capt. Enoch FOSTER, Jonathan CORSON, John CLARK, Joseph GILMAN and Nathan BARKER.

    Those listed as voting for representative to Congress on Dec. 10, 1804 were: Gideon SABIN, Timothy EDWARDS, Joseph HUSTIN, Nathaniel PERKINS, Nathan BARKER, John STEVENS, Thomas HALE, Nathaniel FARRINGTON, John WEAKS, Jonathan DOW, Thomas FARRINGTON, William MONTGOMERY, Daniel DAVISON, Jr., Edward GOULD, Tyler COLE, Enoch FULSOME, David EDWARDS, Benjamin SMITH, Jonathan CORSON, Nathaniel DOW, Timothy HAINES, Daniel DAVISON, David GILMAN, Enoch FOSTER, James BELL, Benjamin CATE, John CLARKE, Moses GEORGE, William WHITE, Benjamin P. CANFIELD, Daniel JOHNSON, Theodore RICHARDS, Nathaniel BURBANK, Gideon HAINES, John DAVIS and Elisha CATE.

    March 25, 1805: Names not previously on the list were Theophilus RUNDLET, John RUNDLET, Major ROBINSON, James LOWELL and William DUTTON.


Following is an alphabetical list of some of  Walden's early settlers with a brief biography of each:


AMSDEN, Adam Jr., Esq. came from Tewksbury, Mass.  He bought land Aug. 23, 1808; first located where I.T. Farrow lived in 1887.  He kept a hotel 30 years; was justice more than 30 years and one of the first antislavery men in town.  Married Pamelia MANNING of Tewksbury and had nine children.  He is buried in North Walden Cemetery.  Died Dec. 7, 1830, age 68.  Wife, Pamelia, also buried in North Walden Cemetery.  Died Oct. 20, 1867, age 77.

BURBANK, Joseph, son of Nathaniel, born 1786; married Dorothy LAIRD about 1812.  He bought land where his son, Nathaniel, lived in 1887 some time before 1812.  He was captain of militia in 1818, 1819 and 1821.  Father of 19 children.  Buried in Walden Heights Cemetery.

BURBANK, Nathaniel, came to Walden from Sanbornton, N.H., some time before 1800 as he bought land Aug. 12, 1793, located where L.W. Farrington lived in 1887.  He married Molly DURGIN.  Their children were John; Betsey, who married Daniel JOHNSON; Nathaniel; Sally, who married R. EDDY; Joseph; William; Polly, who married William WEEKS; Hannah, who married D. PERKINS; Jacob; and Miles.  Nathaniel born in 1747; died Oct. 31, 1831; age 84.  Buried on Stevens Hill.  Wife, Molly, died Sept. 11, 1833, age 80.

BARKER, Nathan was the second settler to move to Walden after Nathaniel Perkins.  He was one of the three original selectmen when the town was organized on March 24, 1794.  He was appointed with Nathaniel Perkins as "committee to hire preaching" 1796.

BELL, James, Esq. came to Walden in 1804, and was the first and only lawyer in town until 1887.  He was born in Lyme, N.H., and married Lucy DEAN of Hardwick, Mass, in December, 1776.  He served as justice of the peace, captain of militia, was elected to state legislature in 1815, again in 1818, and was a member for 10 consecutive years.  Buried in North Walden; died April 17, 1852.

BURLEY, Joseph, was the third settler in Walden, and was one of the three original selectmen voted into office on March 24, 1794.  A Joseph BURLEY, Jr. was one of the petitioners of Daniel SANBORN for two townships in the vicinity of Greensboro and Hardwick, Nov. 27, 1783.

CATE, Elisha, and brother, Benjamin, are listed as the "fifth male settlers" in Walden.  Elisha CATE was voted the first town constable March 24, 1794.  He was one of the petitioners to Daniel Sanborn for two townships in the vicinity of Greensboro and Hardwick.  An Elisha CATE is on the list of Capt. Clough's company, June 13, 1775, age 21, occupation husbandman; place of abode, Sanbornton, county Stafford, N.H.  State papers, Revolutionary Rolls.  Town of Walden records the children of Elisha and Mary Cate all born in Sanbornton, N.H., Mary, Betsy, Sally, Nancy and Elisha. buried in South Walden; Died July 20, 1843, age 92.

CURRIER, Stephen, came to Walden in or about 1800.  One of the first settlers on County Road with Timothy HAYNES.  Buried in North Walden Cemetery; died Feb. 12, 1842, age 74.  Wife, Sarah, died April 12, 1862, age 80.

DOW, Gilman, was one of the first two deacons of the Congregational Church formed in 1828 with Merrill Foster.  Buried in North Walden Cemetery; died May 29, 1848, age 52.  Wife's name, Susan.  Daughter, Mary E.

DOW, Nathaniel, came from Gilmanton, N.H., in 1797 with two brothers, Ira and Jonathan.  Stayed in Walden several years, then lived in Cabot a few years and came back to Walden in April, 1813, for the remainder of his life.  Married Esther GILMAN.  Their children were:  Rev. John G. (a Methodist minister), Nathaniel, Zebulon, Hazen, Peter, Peaslee, Porter and James B.  Hazen married Mary A. JOHNSON.  Porter reared a large family in Walden.  James B. married Amy HODGDON.  Buried in South Walden.  Died June 18, 1846, age 88.  Wife, Esther, died Oct. 21, 1842, age 79.

DOWNER, Richard, was a native of Sharon, Vt.  He located in North Walden about 1817.  Married Catherine BARNES and had seven children.  He served in the War of 1812.  He moved to Derby about 1830 and died there in 1835.  His son, Ephraim, served two years in the Civil War and lived in Walden in 1887.  His wife, Catherine, died Nov. 26, 1872.  Buried in North Walden.

DUTTON, William, came from Lyndeboro, N.H., with family of seven children and settled where D.S. Ferguson lived in 1887.  His fifth child, Josiah, always lived in the same neighborhood, married Mary HODGDON and had 10 children.  His son, William, married Amy CORSON and settled where Myron GOODENOUGH lived in 1887, and had 10 children.  He gave land for a cemetery.  Buried in South Walden; died Sept. 4, 1829, age 69.

EDDY, Edmund, was the first carriage maker in Walden.  Capt. Eddy and wife, Elizabeth, had a son, Erastus, born Aug. 20, 1806.  Elizabeth born 1778; died Aug. 8, 1820.  Capt. Eddy's second wife, Sally, was born Feb. 22, 1802; died March 13, 1852.  Capt. Eddy buried in South Walden.  Born 1778; died Dec. 25, 1859.

EDWARDS, Timothy, came from Gilmanton, N.H., before 1794 as in that year he was elected "hogward."  He settled on the farm where his grandson, John, lived in 1887, and he had 14 children.  Buried in South Walden.  Born in Haverhill, Mass., 1773; died in 1849.  Nancy A. GILMAN, his wife, was born in Gilmantown, N.H., 1778; died in 1853.

FARNSWORTH, Manassah ,was a Revolutionary War veteran.  Buried in North Walden Cemetery; died May 6, 1837, age 77.  His wife, Charity, died Feb. 3, 1834, age 69.

FARRINGTON, Nathaniel, came to Walden from New Hampshire in 1799 and settled on the farm occupied by Jacob Dutton in 1868.  On this farm is the site of the first stage coach inn in town at the corner of Bayley-Hazen Road and Route 15.  Nathaniel Farrington possessed property to some extent, accumulating it rapidly.  In 1802 he raised 1300 bushels of English grains, built and kept the only hotel in town for a number of years, and in various ways exerted a controlling influence over the town.  He was representative to State Legislature, 1801-1803, and 1808, 1809 and 1811.  He left much property to his children, who are listed in town records:  Leonard, 1789-1857; Nathaniel, 1791-1855; Abner, 1793-1844 and Edward, born 1804.  Born June, 1760; died Feb. 24, 1840, age 79.  Buried South Walden.  Wife, Elizabeth, died Aug. 20, 1848.

FARRINGTON, Nathaniel, Jr., was the first merchant in town.  He built the first gristmill on the opposite side of the falls from Morrill's sawmill on Morrill Brook which crosses Town road 12 at Taylorville.  He was the first to engage extensively in trade.  (some folklore claims that John Weaks was the first merchant at the Eddy house, currently owned by George Mack.)  Died June 27, 1855, age 64.  Buried in South Walden.  His wife, Fanny, died Feb. 22, 1871, age 72.  Daughter, Margaret, died at age 28.  Son, Charles W., died at age 28.

FARRINGTON, Thomas, was born in Francestown, N.H.  He came to Walden about 1800 and bought the place where his grandson, Sawyer Farrington, lived in 1887.  He married Susan GOULD and had eight children.  He served as town clerk and town representative.  He recorded his children in the first book of town records.  Two were born in Lyndeborough, N.H.  The third child was born in Walden in 1802.

FARRINGTON, Leonard, was an early settler of Walden.  Married Sophia LIVINGSTON.  Son, David, lived in Cabot in 1887.  He lived on the farm where his son, Lewis W., lived in 1887.  Located there about 1840.

FOSTER, Capt. Enoch, was born in Bow, N.H., in 1770 and moved to Peacham with his parents at age 13.  He lived there until 1800 when he moved to Walden.  Much of his early manhood was spent in the woods with Indian Joe, his constant companion for a number of years.  He was often employed as a guide by early settlers.  A man of stern integrity, he possessed great energy.  He had six children, four of whom predeceased him.  He was a member of the Congregational Church for 40 years and was town representative in 1802.  He married Polly GUY in 1793.  Three of his children were: Merrill, Ephraim and Perley.  He married Mrs. Susannah GOULD in 1810 by whom he had one daughter, Hannah.  Enoch was a captain of militia and lived in North Walden where he died May 30, 1854, age 84.

FOSTER, Merrill, the son of Enoch and Polly Guy Foster, was one of the first two deacons of Congregational Church formed in 1828.  The church later united with the Congregational Church in Hardwick.  He served as town representative.  He married Sally GOULD and had nine children: Caroline, Jane, Edward G., Philena, Harvey, Sally, Emily, Charles and Susan.  Buried in North Walden.  He died May 27, 1855, age 60.  His wife, Sally, died June 3, 1865, age 69.

GEORGE, Moses, came to Walden from Strafford, Vt., about 1804 accompanied by his mother, Sarah (KIDDER) George, who lived to be 100 years old, his wife, one son, Lemuel, and one daughter, Phila.  He settled just north of where L.W. Farrington lived in 1887.  His other children are listed as Rosmer, Mary, Sally, Jerusha, Fanny and Moses.  Moses died April 8, 1861, age 90.  His wife died Aug. 3, 1866, age 84.

GILE, Abel Sr., was a native of Northfield and came to Walden in 1818.  He settled where D.S. Cox lived in 1887, buying the land Nov. 25, 1818.  He married Stataria FORREST and had two sons:  John F., born 1818, and Abel.  He died at the age of 73.

GILMAN, Ezekiel, is named with his brother, Samuel, as the fourth on the list of first male settlers.  His was the third death in town - killed "by the rolling of a log upon him while engaged in rearing a log cabin."  "Meetings for preaching" were held half the time at his house and half the time at Nicholas Gilman's.  He died in 1796.

GILMAN, Samuel, was the first town treasurer, March 24, 1794.  His was the first death in town and was caused by "burning off and falling of a stub of a tree where he was clearing on a farm . . ." on the same land owned by G.D. Lane in 1887.

GOULD, Edward and Nathaniel, came to Walden probably from Dunbarton, N.H., about 1800.  Edward was a lister in 1801.  Nathaniel was a farmer and lived in Hardwick on the County Road.  He married Lydia BACHELDER and had six children.  Lydia died Jan. 28, 1827, and is buried in North Walden.

HAYNES, Timothy, was born in Deerfield, N.H., and moved to Walden about 1800.  He and Stephen Currier were first settlers on the County Road.  He and his wife were among the original members of the Methodist Church formed in 1810 by Elders Killbourn and Hoyt.  Buried in North Walden; died March 21, 1856, age 79.  His wife, Sally, was born in New Durham, N.H., and died March 24, 1861, age 80.

HITCHCOCK, Lyman, warned the first town meeting March 24, 1794, and was the first moderator.  A Lyman Hitchcock was a petitioner with two others of Eneas Munson et al for a township - location undesignated - dated New Haven, Sept. 19, 1780 - "petitioners are desirous of becoming adventurers in the State of Vermont . . . ."  A Lyman Hitchcock petitioner on petition of Timothy Green el al for a township within the present Newport and Troy area filed Oct. 2, 1786, taken up Oct. 17, 1787, referred to committee and referred to next session of legislature.  No further mention is found.

HUCKINS, Samuel, is named eighth in the list of early settlers which would have been about 1792 or 1793.  He was the first grand juror March, 1795.

HUSTIN, Joseph, buried in South Walden.  Died Sept. 21, 1853, age 78.  His wife, Sally, died July 10, 1844, age 68.  He voted on Dec. 10, 1804.

KNIGHT, Levi, son of John Knight, came from Francestown, N.H., about 1807, and located on the farm where Paul D. Knight lived in 1887.  The farm was given to Levi by his father June 28, 1810.  He died in 1858, age 75.  Unice, wife of Levi Knight, died May 22, 1842.  Their children were Nathaniel S., born in Francestown, 1805, Paul D., born in Walden in 1807, Gary, Tryphose and Ruth.

MELCHER, Mr.  Folklore has it that Mr. Melcher's marriage was the first in town.  He bought land in 1794.  Polly Melcher's was the second death in town - buried with infant a few days old.  (According to town records, the marriage of Samuel Carr to Polly Dow, August 4, 1800, by Amos Tuttle, pastor in Hardwick, was the first marriage.)  Their child, Esther, married Tyler COLE, son of Tyler and Mary Trow Cole, in 1804.

MONTGOMERY, William, native of Francestown, N.H., came to Walden about 1803 and settled in the southwestern part of town where E. Houston lived in 1887.  He was prominent in town, served as selectman, captain of militia and raised a company for the War of 1812.  He married Mary Dodge and they had seven children: Josia, Arunah, Ira, Harvey, William C., Sereno and David.  Sereno always lived in Walden and served as lister, selectman and town representative.  He was married three times.  Walden records show William's birth as Oct. 18, 1776.  Died age 75.

MORRILL, Abel, bought land April 30, 1796, and erected the first sawmill before 1800 at the falls where Morrill Brook crosses Hazen Road.  School was kept at his "mill-house" in the winter of 1800.  By vote on July 24, 1801, "Morrill's Mill Brook" became the first permanent dividing line between school districts.

PERKINS, Jesse, was the first white child born in the town of Walden.  He was born in the block house on Nov. 19, 1790, son of Nathaniel and Martha (called Mercy) Perkins.  He spent most of his life in Walden on the homestead and married Polly LANCE of Chester, Vt.  They had three children: William G., Charles and Mary.  Wm. G. was a manufacturer and merchant at Walden Four Corners where he was postmaster for several years.

PERKINS, John, was a brother of Nathaniel, Walden's first settler, and witnessed deed of Ebenezer Hackit to Nathaniel Perkins in June 1795.  He went on to Potton, Canada, to do some hunting and trapping before coming back to Walden about 1803 with is son, Samuel, age 2.  He first located somewhere on the Hazen Road.  He had another son, Nathaniel, and a daughter, Mary.   Samuel married Sarah (Sally) HODGDON, twin sister of Polly HODGDON, who married Josiah DUTTON.  Samuel and Sally had four children:  Charles S.; Mary D.; George and Abner.  Samuel bought land in 1827 and built the house where his son, Charles, lived in 1887.  John Perkins voted for Representative to Congress December, 1808.  John Perkins of Walden was married to Molley GEORGE of Walden on Sept. 8, 1808, by Theophilus Rundlet, justice of the peace.

PERKINS, Joseph, came from Deerfield, N.H., and bought land June 16, 1802.  He also bought 19 acres, Lot 3 in Great Lot 46, Oct. 29, 1799.  He was probably another brother of Nathaniel and John Perkins.  In 1805, he settled on a farm west of the school house at Walden Heights.  In 1814, he built the house where J.I. Chase lived in 1887.  His son, Hiram, was born in Walden about 1809 and married Sally H., daughter of Huse and Hannah (PERKINS) SMITH.  Hiram held many town offices - town representative, sheriff and town clerk the last 20 years of his life.  He died January, 1878 and married Hannah, daughter of Hanson ROGERS.  They had seven children.

PERKINS, Nathaniel, (1754-1842) served as a private in Capt. Hutchins' Company, Col. John Stark's regiment at the Battle of Bunker Hill.  He was born in Canterbury, N.H., and died in Walden.  According to the Daughters of the American Revolution records, Nathaniel Perkins, Sr. and Nathaniel Perkins, Jr. both of Northfield, N.H., were at the Battle of Bunker Hill.  Nathaniel, Jr. married Martha HEATH in 1785.  They came to Walden with their two children, Jonathan and Betsy, and were the first settlers.  They lived in the block house on the Bayley-Hazen Military Road while they were building a log house nearby.  They had 10 more children, all recorded in the town records.  Nathaniel was the first town clerk and one of the first three selectmen.  In 1795 he was elected the first representative.  The first sermon was given at his house, and he taught the first school in the blockhouse in 1796.  He is buried in the Perkins Cemetery beside his wife, Martha.

ROBINSON, Major, first voted March 25, 1805.  Buried in South Walden Cemetery.  Died Sept. 28, 1866, age 87.  His wife, Sally, died Jan. 22, 1873, age 85.

ROGERS, Hanson, came to Walden early, but soon returned to Cabot.  He came back to Walden in 1820, and bought a farm at Walden Heights where he had a hotel for many years.  He married Hannah, daughter of Benj. and Judith WEBSTER.  She was a cousin of Daniel WEBSTER.  They had 12 children.  He finally returned to Cabot where he died in 1860, age 84.  His wife died Sept. 23, 1867.  Both are buried at Walden Heights Cemetery.

RUNDLET, Theophilus (or Theopholet) was Deacon of the first church organization - Congregational - in 1805, and ". . .a man of fervent piety. . ."  Left Walden and died elsewhere at an advanced age.  Lydia Rundlet (or Bundlet), wife of Deacon Theophilus Rundlet (or Bundlet) died Sept. 23, 1832, age 71, and is buried in the South Walden Cemetery, according to the Walden Cemetery Book.  Proceedings V.H.S. 1903-04, Theophilus Rundlet was on the Caledonia County list of Revolutionary War pensioners under act of June 7, 1832.  According to Child's Gazetteer, religious meetings were conducted for many years by Deacon Theophilus Rundlet at the Congregational Church, organized in 1805.  Walden records of deeds indicate Charles and John Rundlet came from Gilmanton, N.H.

SANBORN, Samuel, is listed in Walden Proceedings in the year 1797.  "Samuel Sanborn, Nathaniel Dow, David Gilman and Nathan Barker be surveyors of highways."  A meeting was warned at the request of Nathaniel Perkins for the purpose of reconsidering his being constable.  Samuel Sanborn was chosen in his place.

SHURTLEFF, Joel, Jr., came from Reading, Vt., with his father when he was 14 years old.  He was married first to Melinda SABIN and had two daughters.  He was married second to Sarah SMITH of Greensboro and had three sons and three daughters.

SLEEPER, Edward, built a sawmill on Joe's Brook, north of Noyesville Village between 1808 and 1815.

SMITH, Benjamin, voted for representative to Congress, Sept. 2, 1802.  He is buried on Stevens Hill.  Died Dec. 13, 1834, age 63.

STEVENS, Ebenezer, bought land in Walden as early as 1796.  When his son, John, came to Walden in 1804, he owned nearly 1000 acres.  It is unclear if Ebenezer lived in Walden or only owned land here.

STEVENS, John, was the first settler on what is now known as Stevens Hill, on land where his son, George P., lived in 1887.  He first married Alice GILMAN and had a daughter, Eliza.  (Mrs. Harvey MONTGOMERY) of Hardwick.  He and his second wife, Betsey PERKINS, daughter of Nathaniel, had nine children:  Mary A. (Mrs. GILMAN), Ebenezer, Nathaniel, John Franklin, Emily (Mrs. CURRIER), Daniel W., Charles A., George P., and Moses.  John is buried in South Walden with both of his wives and several of their children.  He died Sept. 7, 1869, age 80.

WHITE, William, voted for representative to Congress on Sept. 4, 1802.  He is buried on Stevens Hill.  He died Jan. 20, 1827, age 64.  His wife, Mary, died Nov. 29, 1822, age 57.  His daughter, Mary, died Feb. 1823, age 24.

Return to Site Map Page

Return to Main Walden Page

Return to Cemeteries Page

Return to Bayley-Hazen Road Page

Return to Indian Joe Page

Return to Map of Walden Page

Return to Caledonia County Page

Return to USGenWeb Vermont Page


    To E-Mail me click the image below.



Page designed and maintained by Bonnie Stevens Dannenberg for the USGenWeb Project.


Copyright June 27, 1998, 1999, 2000

Bonnie Stevens Dannenberg All Rights Reserved