St Hilary 
St Michael's Mount 
Online Parish Clerk (OPC) 

Home Page B,D,M Index Census Family Trees Related Links
Message Board Researchers Interests Sources Wills

Sources and Abbreviations

This page is under construction. Hope to contain names of persons with resources that are willing to do look ups. If you have information for St Hilary and are prepared to do a look up, please email me. Thankyou.

Batch Numbers for Germoe are C022201, C022202,C053341, C053342, Marriages E053341 and M053341
Batch Number for St Hilary is P020981

1873 Kelly's Directory - Germoe

The church of St. Germoe is an old building, in the Perpendicular style, with portions of earlier date, has a square embattled tower containing 3 bells, a porch ( over which is a crucifix) a nave, aisles, chancel, and transepts; the pews are most irregular, each owner having adopted his own plan; there are several mural monuments. In the churchyard is a stone seat, called the arm-chair of St Germoe, or King Germocus, the carved head of the figure, in granite being surmounted by a Saxon crown; beneath is supposed to be a burial vault.

The register dates from the year 1682, the living is a vicarage, consolidated with Breage, joint yearly value 760, with residence, in the gift of the crown, and held by the Rev. E Morris PRIDMORE, M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge, who resides at Breage vicarage.

The national school for boys and girls is endowed with 10 from the Duke of LEEDS; a Sunday school is held at the church. There is a chapel for Wesleyans. Foote's charity provided 2 10s for the school and 2 10s for the poor; 3 from an unknown donor is for poor widows. the Leeds and St. Aubyn consols, and Great Consols mines are in this parish. The Duke of LEEDS, Rev St Aubyn H MOLESWOTH ST-AUBYN, and William BULLER esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is granite. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oat, Turnips and Broccoli.

The acreage is 1,287 acres; gross estimated rental, 1,915; rateable value, 1,623; and the population in 1871 was 953.

Parish Clerk William TRESIDDER

Letters through Helston, arrive at 12.a.m. dispatched at 1p.m. Helston is the nearest money office

National School William TRESIDDER Master


John CARTER farmer
William EUSTICE shopkeeper
Mrs Ann HEBBARD St Aubyn's Arms
Henry John HEBBARD farmer
James HEBBARD farmer
James HEBBARD shopkeeper
William HOSKIN smith and farrier
James KESKEYS Carpenter and Farmer
William LAITY farmer
James Plomer LEMON farmer
Richard NICHOLLS Shopkeeper and farmer
William NICHOLLS Dolphin Inn
Phillip PAUL Carpenter
Mrs Martha PAUL Shopkeeper
Phillip ROWE farmer
William TRESIDDER Schoolmaster
William THOMAS boot and shoe maker

1873 Kelly's Directory - St Hilary

St Hilary is a township and parish, the village being 2.5 miles east from Marazion and 6 from Penzance, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, Penzance Union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, Cornwall archdeaconry, and diocese of Exeter. The town of Marazion is within this parish.

The church of St Hilary, rebuilt in 1853, stands on very high ground; it has chancel, nave and aisles, with tower containing 3 bells, and surmounted by a spire, which forms a well known landmark. The previous church erected in the reign of Henry 8th in the perpendicular style, was destroyed by fire on the night of Good Friday, 1853: the small tower which belonged to a cruciform church of the reign of Edward the 3rd is all that escaped.

The present building is in the Middle pointed style, from designs by W WHITE esq. Two curiously inscribed stones were found in the old walls, and are now near the south entrance. The register dates from the year 1671.

The living is a vicarage, yearly value 388, with 38 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duke of LEEDS, and others, and held by the Rev. Sampson KINGSFORD, M.A.. The rectorial tithes rent-charge is now in the hands of 25 lay impropriators. At the church town is the parochial school for boys and girls. the Duke of Leeds, Sir John ST AUBYN bart, M.P. C H T HAWKINS esq., J H BULLER, esq., of Downes, Devon and Viscount FALMOUTH are the principal landowners. The soil is stiff clay; subsoil killas, The chief crops are wheat, turnips and broccoli. The area is 2,786 acres; gross estimated rental, 4,947; rateable value, 4,488; and the population in 1871 was 1,530.

MARAZION is in this parish for ecclesiastical purposes only and will be found under a separate heading. Prussia Cove is a pleasant watering place in this parish; church Town, Relubbus, Higher and Lower Downs Resudgian and Trenalls are villages.

Assistant Overseer, Vestry Clerk and Collector, Phillip FLOYD

Rev Sampson KINGSFORD M.A.Vicarage

Richard BENNETT Jolly Tinners inn,Church Town
Arthur BERRYMAN farmer Trewhella
William Blight BERRYMAN farmer Trewhella
Alfred BRAY shopkeeper Relubbus highway
Thomas BUCKETT Falmouth Packet Inn and farmer, Carter's downs
James BURT Smith Penberthy Cross
Stephen CURNOW farmer Church Town
James CURTIS Hawkins Arms Inn and farmer Relubbus
Samuel James DUNSTAN farmer Lower Penberthy
Phillip FLOYD collector Belvedere
James HAMPTON farmer, Lower Penberthy
James HAMPTON farmer Relubbus Vean
Verrant JAMES farmer Trelease
William JAMES farmer Kestal
Joseph KING farmer Relubbus Vean
Mrs Mary KING beer retailer, Trellase Croft
George LAITY farmer Trevabyn
Henry LAITY farmer Gears
Henry LAITY farmer Retallack Mills
John LAITY farmer Colenso
John LAITY farmer Retallack
Joseph LAITY farmer Bostrays
Ralph LAITY farmer North Colenso
Ralph LAITY Jun. farmer Chyrease
Thomas LAITY farmer Retallack
William LAITY farmer Halamaning
William LAITY farmer Tregurtha
Hugh Line LORY farmer Colensoe
William NOBLE smith and farrier, Relubbus
Mary Ann OATS shopkeeper Relubbus
Richard C OATS carpenter and machinist Relubbus
John OSBORN farmer North Treveneague
Samuel Reed farmer Tregembo
Samuel Joseph REED mine agent and farmer
Harry RICHARDS lodging house Prussia Cove
Henry RICHARDS farmer Trenewyack
John RICHARDS smith Relubbus Highway
John RICHARDS farmer Trenalls
Joseph RICHARDS and Son Carpenters and Wheelwrights Relubbus Highway
Thomas RICHARDS miller Carbis Mills
William ROBERTS farmer Freightons
Samuel SEMMENS farmer Trevarthian
James SMITHEM shopkeeper and smith Relubbus Highway
John STRIBLEY carpenter and lodging house, Prussia Cove
Henry TREGONING farmer Tregilsoe
Martin TREWHELLA farmer and seed and manure agent, Relubbus Highway
Matthew TREWHELLA farmer Enys
Joel TROWNSON farmer Resudgian
Henry VELLNOWETH farmer Resudgian
William VELLENOWETH farmer and wheelwright, Resudgian
James VERRANT farmer Trelease
John VERRANT farmer Carbis
Richard VINCENT farmer Nanguskus
Anthony WILLIAMS Jun. farmer Penberthy

June Nicholls

Copyright 2002, All rights reserved. 
Genealogists may use the information provided on these web pages but it may not be displayed on other websites and cannot be used for commercial gain. 

Last Updated 15 March 2005