Crossing the Plains  







Maud Ruthanar Burnap







To the memory of my Grandmother, Maud Ruthanar Burnap, for living the life of a true, American Pioneer woman and for being the type of person to record her experiences for posterity.

Bonnie J. Lindroff










Compiled by

Bonnie Juno Lindroff (Boone)


Printed by

Kyle Pomraning


To the relatives of Maud Ruthanar Burnap Cole, let me say thanks to all of you for your whole-hearted cooperation in helping to compile the data for the family tree and history. It was a life-time dream of Mother's to have the diary she kept while crossing the plains with her parents, printed and put in book form to be left and passed on to her future generations. I am sure she would have been pleased with our efforts to include a brief history of the family together with the family tree.

To Bonnie Lindroff I think we owe a tremendous debt of gratitude for the many hours she searched through old manuscripts and scrapbooks for names, dates, events, and historical facts, for the arranging and editing which all contributed for interesting reading, in other words, she has made the book possible.

It is my sincere wish that this book will draw the family ever more closely together after being re-introduced through the following pages.

The oldest surviving member of the Robert L. and Maud R. Cole family,

Lelah Hazel (Cole) Ralls

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In the above message, Lelah has expressed so well my own feelings of thanks, joy, and gratitude to all of you. So I would like to share some of my memories of life on Papa's homestead with the family. The younger generations may find it rather dull compared with TV and close neighbors to spend evenings with!

Since I was too small to share much of the work the older children did, the more pleasant things are uppermost in my memory, such as

The flowers in Mamma's huge flower garden from early spring to late fall;

The big family orchard where we had early spring apples (which I started eating when they were still so green it is a wonder I wasn't sick each year) the cherry tree that had such good cherries way up in the top (I know because I climbed up there to get them);

The long, winter evenings spent in family amusement. Sometimes it was a song fest, Mamma playing hymns on the organ while we all sang;- Margie's strong, clear soprano, Hettie and I sharing the alto, Loyd the tenor and Papa, bass. Other times, Papa, and Claud if he were home, would both play violin and while Loyd played violin some, he was a very good accompanist on the organ. All three of us girls could also play organ so we all participated. Some evenings Lelah and Roy would be there to add their voices to our "glee club". Even our neighbors shared our music because when anyone heard 5 short rings on the party telephone that meant there was music on the line and everyone was invited to listen - - son in a way, we were broadcasting before the days of radio or TV!

Other times Mamma would read to us, books by Zane Gray, D. M. Bower (how I loved the Flying U Series by Bower) and stories in a weekly publication of that time, the Youth's Companion. Those were usually the evenings when Papa would pop corn in the old screen popper over coals in the heating stove and with apples in from the cellar we thought it a sumptuous after-supper snack.

Other nights when we could get Mamma and Papa to talking about their respective trips "across the plains". Then Mamma would bring out the manilla envelope which contained the notes of her diary - - I say notes because she did not have a book to write it in. She had written on scraps of paper bags, old envelopes she cut open, even margins of old newspapers. She would read her notes and then tell us all about it. That in turn would make Papa remember some event he had experienced. I felt so proud to think my parents had made that trip and in my child's mink, I pictured them as characters in the stories Mamma read us of wagon trains and early day life in the West.

I so fervently wish Mamma could have copied the diary sooner because I remember instances she told us about and had notes on, that are not in the diary as it appears here. Unfortunately, I don't recall them well enough to relate them now.

I am so thankful we have been able to preserve it and as much of our family history as we have available. We are very fortunate Bonnie had access to facilities to make the book possible.

Again, our thanks to all of you for your cooperation and we sincerely hope you enjoy reading your family history.



Cordelia (Cole) Bellinger








We thought you might be interested in how this book came into being. Knowing of the existence of my Grandmother's diary and having access to duplicating facilities, I conceived the idea of duplicating it for my children, nieces and nephews. In the same thought it occurred to me that it is just as simple to run off 100 copies as 10 - - so why not include the entire family? Almost immediately, the idea of a family tree presented itself. Further discussions with my mother created new ideas and from there, the whole thing just "grew like Topsy". No small part was played by the enthusiastic reception my first letters received from the various branches of the family.

I want to extend my most profound thanks to each and every one of you who so willingly supplied family data and memorabilia. Certainly the book would be most incomplete without your cooperation. For example, the two scrapbooks, designated as numbers 2 and 3, of Melvina Burnap's and loaned to us by Florence Templeton and Ella Bohencamp have been invaluable. These had been reposing in their mother's trunk for lo, these 25 years. The information in these books make fact out of faint memory; clarified confusing and conflicting memories and added much new data never even suspected.

The scrapbook designated as number 1 was in the trunk of Robert L. Cole which passed on to my mother, Cordelia,. Also included was the Cole book which contained the Cole family records. Maud Cole gave the diary to her son-in-law and my father, Everette Boone. Due to his avid interest in it she had started to make him a copy. At the time of her death she asked that the one complete copy sent to him. In turn, it has been passed on to his daughter, Betty Marzari (Boone).

In the front of scrapbook #3 there is an inscription written by Melbina Hoit Burnap. It reads, "For daughter, Maud, from mother, in care of her daughter, Lelah". Aunt Lelah has expressed the desire that these family books be passed around to any and all of you who wish to peruse them. They are becoming very worn, the paper is extremely brittle, the binding threads rotting, etc. If it meets with your approval, I should like to check into ways of preserving them from further deterioration. How much nicer it will be for us all to have the information contained in all of these old manuscripts, rather than just those who were fortunate to possess them.

There are two people to whom I would like to express my most sincere appreciation - - not only for their priceless help help unavailable from any other source, but for their sustaining moral support. First, to my mother, who tolerated innumerable telephone calls many during her busy working day to answer questions as well as supplying numerous tid-bits of information from her memory. To my aunt, Lelah Ralls, who make a special trip from Hermiston, Oregon to Bakersfield, California to give me the benefit of her knowledge, we all owe a great debt of gratitude. Getting Aunt Lelah and my mother together was a most profitable experience. Although both assured me they "couldn't really remember much", when I asked questions hat one didn't remember the other did. The difference in their ages was a distinct advantage as one memory complemented the other. All I had to do was have a pen and shorthand pad handy! All of the information in their generation's histories came from their com! ! bined memories.

One of the nicest benefits from compiling this book was receiving the many letters from branches of the family with whom we had rather lost touch. Hopefully, more of us will become re-acquainted as a result of reading this booklet.

The information contained here has been obtained from obituaries, newspaper articles, letters, family records and members of the family. Some data is missing from the statistical pages as I was unable to obtain it from available sources. IN spite of proof-reading, I am sure there will be some grammatical and/or typographical errors. I sincerely hope they will not impair your reading pleasure.

I only ask that "Don't view it with a critic's eye,

But pass its imperfections by."


Bonnie June Lindroff (Boone)












Originally, this diary was written on scraps of paper, edges of newspapers, paper sacks and any other paper available at the time. These were kept in a large envelope for a number of years. She then copied it in two composition books from which the following was transcribed. These composition books are in the possession of Betty Boone Marzari.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Our journey from Southwest Mo. To eastern Ore. By wagon in 1885

After an all winter's preparation and the sale of all the surplus stock, and all unmoveable articles; at noon in May 16th, 1885 we bid goodbye to our old friends and neighbors, Mr. And Mrs. Kale, and headed our teams westward expecting to pass the night with some old Kansas neighbors, who lived some 16 miles distant; but fate had decided we should not be so fortunate, and so planed one of the most severe thunder storms we endured in the three thousand mil journey. It struck us about ten miles out from our starting place, Larmar, and we took shelter in a friendly family's house and waited until the storm had abated its fury.

Pa could not guide the teams against it so turned their heads away from the storm and then the wagon sheets began to leak and all was getting wet; so we wrapped the baby in a raincoat and Pa started to the house with her. The family, Mr. Adam's by name, were watching and wondering what in the world it could be he carried, when a girl of about 16 exclaimed, "Why, Ma, it's a baby" and flew to the door and opened it before he got to the door. Then they strongly invited us all in so we gladly accepted.

When the storm had subsided so we could go on, it was quite late so we partook of their hospitality and remained overnight. On the next morning, which was Sunday, we drove on to our friends Mr. Baxters and remained the rest of that day and overnight with them. The men and children visited while the women talked over old times and replenished the ever needy "grub box" and on Monday morning, May 18, we made our final start for our three thousand mile trip.

Our out fit consisted of two wagons, loaded quite heavily, one drawn by a pair of very honest Morgan mares, Prin and Julia, and the other by a chunky span of mules, Jack and Bet and a yearling colt, Fred.

The family consisted of Pa and Ma and we six children, the oldest myself, then a few months over fifteen and the youngest a babe six weeks old, with four boys between, of whom the oldest one, a lad of almost fourteen, had to act as teamster over the mule team.

As I did not keep a journal at the first of the trip I can only note a few circumstances for at least the first week.

On the 25th of May three Indians crossed the road in front of our teams about ten miles west of Eldorado, Kansas. These were the first Indians we saw. Just west of Jumbolt, Kansas we met a team and wagon similar to our own, they going north and we south. Of course, the drivers hailed each other with the salutation "How's the road back of you?" "Terrible! The mud is a fright. Is there a good camp ground back of your?" And as the conversation went, it was disclosed their destinations were both Union Co., Ore. So they each turned to the right and camped for the night. Their names were Berry of Pairs, Ark. And they were and old couple with their three youngest children, Gussie, a girl of almost 16, Everet, a boy of exactly Marius' age, 14 and Aurthur, a boy of nine. They were starting on their third trip to Ore. by teams.

This camp I can remember s also a few others before I began my journal. This was a little prairie with a small creek along one side of and a few brush along the bank.

We were two weeks on the road before we got to Grandpa Burnap's at Pawnee Rock, Kan., a little over 150 miles from Lamar. It was just rain and mud all the time. We laid over at Grandpa's one week and visited and left several of our heaviest boxes there for Grandpa to ship to us after we got here, and make our last long goodbye, as we never saw him again, on June 10, 1885.

June 10, 1885. We dinnered today our on the prairie near a house and came over a very rough barren country and camped tonight one mile out from Rush Center. The wind is blowing a gale. Gussie is very sick and they will be up with her part of the night. This is her birthday. She is 16 today.

June 11 We started early this morning and the wind is still blowing. Gussie is able to sit up this morning. We crossed a nice iron bridge just before we went through Rush Center. We stayed quite a while in town. We don't pass over quite so barren a country today as yesterday. We are camped tonight on the Seliene River between Ft. Hayse and Hayes City in the prettiest place; grass under foot and trees all round. The wind has stopped blowing.

Today as we were traveling along we saw what appeared to be a large limb in the road but as there were no trees knew it could not be, and as we came nearer it coiled and proved to be an enormous rattlesnake; the coil was about 1i6 in. across it; Pa shot it with both barrels of the shot gun and tore it to pieces so we could not get the rattles.

June 13 It is terrible cold this morning but it did not rain last night. We are just ready to start and it is seven o'clock. We passed through Wa Keena and dinnered on the open prairie near the R.R. We traveled about 14 miles this fore noon. We passed through Treco and came over a very barren country this afternoon. Pa killed a Jack-rabbit just before we got to Collyer. We are standing on the streets of Collyer now. We are camped tonight about six miles from Collyer on the prairie near the R.R. and couldn't hardly get water for the horses. There is a cloud in north and it looks like it will rain. We saw another mirage today. They are so queer; horses that were nine miles away looked as though they were about ? of a mile distant.

June 14 The wind is blowing a gale this morning but is did not rain last night. We had gone about a mile this morning and saw a elk and Pa got the gun and shot at it but didn't hit it and then when we came on nearer we found out different fore it was an antelope but we didn't get it. We passed through Buffalo Park and dinnered on the open prairie this side of town. Just before we dinnered I saw the horses jump and Pa was standing up in front whipping Prin and Ma stuck out her head and said, "A rattlesnake! A rattlesnake, can't you hear it sing?" but we could not find it to kill it.

After dinner we only traveled about four miles when we came to Grainvill. This is a very barren country. I don't see much grain about it! Marius shot at another antelope this afternoon or rather, Asel did for him. Marius got the gun out and before he could get sight, Asel pulled the trigger. It like to have scared them all to death and Berry made Pa take the rifle out of the boy's wagon. We are standing on the streets of Grinnell now. Fuel is scarce here; there is none at all here. We are camped on the out skirts of Grinnell tonight.

June 15 Before we went to bed last night there was quite a wind storm came and blew Mr. Berry's tent over and spoiled all of our supper. It is quite cold this morning and Oh! Such a bleak and barren country as it is here. We came about ten miles and watered our horses at Cleveland and stopped near town for dinner; this afternoon we passed through Gilmore, monument siding and monument. There was a big heard of Antelope close to us today and the men fired several shots but did not get any.

The weather has warmed up this afternoon but the wind which is blowing hard is not so hot as it was yesterday.

While we were watering at Cleveland there was a push car came by with a sail on it and frightened the teams quite badly. We are camped tonight in Monument; It is on the open prairie and there are not stores here, just a side track and water tank. It has calmed down now and is quite pleasant and Pa will watch the horses a while tonight I guess.

June 16, 1885 It was chilly this morning and the wind was blowing but this afternoon it rained and hard too, there was a little hail but not much. We passed throught Gopher and Sheridan and stopped near Sheridan for dinner. We drove to Walace and started east to the timber then turned around and came to the Old Fort Walace and camped in it tonight. We have the horses in one of the old buildings are sleeping and got our campfire in the other. It was after dark when we got here.

June 17, 1885 Well, it did rain last night and hard too. I tell you we shur appreciated being under a roof; These old buildings are made of dirt which made into great large blocks by baking it some way, and you can cut your name in it with a knife.

Ma was fearful sick all day and I washed and strolled all over the old buildings and graveyard; the graveyard is not far from the main old buildings, most of the buildings are in ruins.

June 18, 1885 It rained again last night and harder than ever for the water was standing everywhere. We washed this forenoon and traveled this afternoon and are camped tonight in a very pleasant place on a small stream. There is no settlement in this part of the country at all for you never see so much as a dugout. As we were traveling along this afternoon we saw an engine scraping and grading the road. It is very hot and cloudy tonight, hope it won't rain.

There was family which lived about 10 or 15 miles from us in Lamar, who wanted to come to Ore. With us but did not get started for several days after we did, and they overtook us today. There are nine children in the family and the man and his wife; all in one wagon and a mule team; one is a baby just a little older than Ocie and a girl of 18 and a young man of about 21. Copes are there names.

June 19, 1885 It did not rain last night but the wind blew very hard. Dinnered today near the Colorado line and are camped tonight near Arapho in Colorado. We passed over a very dry and barren county all the forenoon and today saw a mirage, it looked like there was lakes of water all round when it is nothing but the heat.

Just after dinner we passed through Monoteny and it is shur named right. Mattie Cope got her leg run over by the wagon but did not happen to break it. The men have gone hunting thinking they may get a deer. We have not seen a train for the pass us in the night; one passed last night.

June 20, 1885 we are camped tonight about 5 miles form a small town and close to the R.R. out of the storm. We started about seven o'clock this morning and Marius and Henry Cope went hunting and had to walk all the forenoon. We stopped for dinner on the open prairie about 4 miles from Cheyenine Wells and about two miles form a sidetrack. It looks very stormy but the county is so dry I don't believe it can rain.

A single fellow overtook us today and is traveling all alone by team from Colyer, Kansas, to Denver.

June 21, 1885, Sunday. We are camped tonight on the open prairie and there is a fearful black cloud rising, is raining some and looks like there might be a cyclone. When the train passed by last night it woke us all up and frightened us fearfully for we thought it was a cyclone coming, it is so stormy. The county through here is very rolling and quite a lot rougher than what Kansas is. We passed thought Kit Carson this forenoon and Wild Horse this after. At Kit Carson we tried to get supplies and the fellow as such a bully he thought because we were movers he could charge any old price and treat us any old way but he got fooled. Pa wounded an Antelope today but did not try very hard to get it.

We had to set the tire on one of our wagon wheels this afternoon. (Editor's note The wagon wheels were made of wood with a metal rim or tire. The wheels had a tendency to dry out and shrink causing the rim to be too large. The rim was taken off and if necessary, a piece cut out of it to make it smaller. While this was being done the wheel was soaked in water. The rim was heated and put back on the wheel, then doused with cold water to shrink it to fit. Care had to be taken to insure proper fitting to the rim for if too small it would warp the wheel.)

The wind blew terribly hard east of us today for we could see the dust flying in the air. It is five o'clock and I'll have to get out and get supper in the wind and rain.

June 22, 1885 It rained nearly all night last night and was misting this morning. We could not see the sun at all. We passed through Ariva and camped for dinner on the prairie like; we got a warm dinner today and yesterday too.

Part of them wanted to lay over this afternoon but Mr. Cope, Mr. Linde nor Pa did not want to so we traveled all day and are camped tonight about a quarter of a mile from Boyer under the hill again out of the storm. We tried to get to Hugo but could not. Last night we were about three miles from town and tonight are right in town.

It has rained all day and all night in fact, it has rained almost all the time for a over a week. Henry killed two rattlesnakes yesterday and Everett, one, but we do not see so many since we got in the Colo.

June 23, 1885 We did not start until quite late this morning and did not stop for dinner as there was no grass for the horses. We watered at the Tank near a section house and a sidetrack called Marriage. About three hours after we watered the horses we got to Hugo, so camped for the night about a quarter of a mile out of town. There is plenty of grass here for the horses, but Old Jack is quite sick and so is Pa.

Mr. Cope has gone up town and got as drunk as a fool and Henry has had to almost carry him home. He stole out all the money and was throwing it around up there and town is full of Cowboys and toughs. They are going to heard the horses tonight. Ma said Marius could help but Berry's won't let Everett help nor Mr. Berry won't and Pa is too sick. Mr. Linde said Marius could stay the nearest to camp and he and Henry would take the dangerous sides. There is a few clouds but the moon shines quite bright.

June 24, 1885 We did not get started until about eight o'clock this morning and stopped in town and got supplies, traveled about nine miles and stopped for dinner.

Pa is better this morning and they had to bring the horses in about 10 o'clock for they saw men trying to run them off and then they heard whistles on all sides.

After dinner we traveled about 4 miles and came to another side track and water tank and watered our horses again. This sidetrack is called Lake (of sand, I guess). There has been a hailstorm here and beat the grass all up. After we left Lake, we only came about three miles till we stopped for night. There is a nice place here to camp and better grass than we have had for several days. It is very cloudy in the Northwest tonight.

June 25, 1885 It was misting like everything when we got up this morning and looked like it might rain hard in a little while. We camped about two miles from a big ranch last night. We passed through River Bend early this morning and bought some bread for dinner, watered our horses and then stopped for dinner out on the prairie near the R.R. track and before we got away there was a big black cloud came up and looked so threatening we waited for it to pass but it did not storm.

We saw Pike's Peak today for the first time. The top was covered with snow and looked like a cloud near the Horizon and also saw the Denver Mts. They are not so high as Pike's Peak. We are between 80 and 100 miles from Pike's Peak and about 70 miles from the Denver Mts. This afternoon we passed through Agate and watered the horses, drove about five miles and camped for the night in the prettiest place yet, plenty of wood, water and grass. It is under a steep bank near the R.R. track and also near a big cattle ranch.

There was one of the cowboys came down to camp and when he saw Ocie he said, "Good God! What in hell you got here. Why you little devil, get in the wagon, you'll freeze to death here, God Bless your little heart." It is sprinkling tonight.

June 26, 1885 We pulled up stakes and began to roll about seven o'clock this morning. We girls walked a little while then Gussie and Mattie rode with me in Marius' wagon. We traveled about nine miles when we reached Trail, bought supplies and went about four miles farther before we stopped for dinner on big Sand Creek. It is quite cloudy today at noon. This is still a rolling country but more level than it was yesterday but more rolling than Kansas.

Well, it did not rain today at noon. Gussie rode with me again this afternoon until we both got sleep then Ma and I changed wagons and I went to sleep so I don't know much about the country. Just before we camped tonight we passed through Byers, watered the horses, came about three-quarters of a mile and camped again on big Sand Creek. This part of the country is very sandy and it has been for the past week. I don't see how the grass, trees, or anything else grows at all. We have been in sight of snow on the Rocky Mts. All the afternoon and it is quite a sight to we people who see it for the first time. We are about fifty miles from Denver, Colo. Tonight. It is very moonlight tonight and not windy.

June 27, 1885 Well, it was only half-past six when the first wagons began to roll this morning and now we are headed for Denver for they had quite a conflab about the route. Some wanted to go by Denver and some by Greely but finally all turned towards Denver.

After we got out of Byers we have been in sight of the Mountains all day. Mattie and I walked about three miles this morning. As we reached Bennett we met a covered wagon with a pair of white horses and of course, stopped to enquire about the road and came to find out it was Mr. Fentons' father, mother and sisters. They were going back to Missouri from Washington Territory.

There has been a fearful storm raging on the mountains all day and we could see the snow blowing. We made a dry noon camp and eat a cold lunch for we had watered the horses at Bennett. We traveled about 12 miles this afternoon and are camped on an irrigation ditch in the open prairie. We came through Boelder this afternoon. This is a very level country through here. We saw three antelope today but did not get to kill any. It was quite late before we got to camp tonight. Mr. Copes will leave us tomorrow, I guess, as we are going to lay over. It is Sunday.

June 28, 1885 We are camped in the out-skirts of Denver tonight for we only layed over until noon and washed. Mr. Copes did go on this morning. It has rained all the afternoon so can not describe the county much.

Mr. Linde went up town and has come back with a nice treat for all of us. He brought oranges for the women and we children and some beer for all who liked it and Pa and Marius some cigars. He is going to stop here at Denver. He gave me what oranges there was left after he passed them around. Denver is not right in the Mts.

June 29, 1885 It is clear and warm this morning. We went up in town this morning and stopped quite a long time. We got to see and talk to Mr. Whitikar; he is the president of the R.R. and Tunnel Co. We also went through the museum. My! There is quite a collection of curies there, animal skins with heads on made into robes, all kinds of stuffed birds and so many specimens of minerals. We drove over into North Denver and stopped for dinner about three o'clock. We passed by "Brick" Pomeroy's house; it is an expensive residence and very handsome one too. Pa got all the pie plant (Ed. Note rhubarb) he could carry from one of the truck gardens for 25 cents, he also got us a camp stove like John Linde's and it bakes fine. (Ed. Note It is believed that stove referred to was a lightweight metal box with a shelf at the top with a compartment below in which to place the coals.)

We have traveled over quite a different looking country this afternoon, it is all irrigated and is so much prettier. We are camped tonight near a large lake. There are some people from Texas camped here all so, they are going to Ore. Too. This is our first night since John left us.

June 30, 1885 Tonight we are stopped on an open prairie about five miles from Langment. There is not much growing here but prickly pears but all day today we have come through a lovely country; nice farms just as thick as can be and irrigating all the time so I guess if there was plenty of water this would raise something too.

We got off our road and when Pa went to hunt the right one, he found where Mr. Copes passed yesterday afternoon after the rain, for it rained quite hard yesterday. We dinnered today where they camped last night. We could tell by their mule tracks; it is close by a large irrigating ditch. We crossed two large creeks this afternoon.

July 1st, 1885 this morning we got tired of Berrys always hurrying so, and Ma and I ate our breakfast in camp and also washed Ocie and dressed her and, or course, Berrie's were out of sorts about it so Ma told them, "There is the road and if you don't take it with you we will come on", so they did go on and we did not catch them all forenoon.

In about a half-hour after we got started this morning a man on horseback over took us on horseback going to Boise City, Idaho and he rode by the side of the wagon all the rest of the way to Loveland and talked to Pa. There he got on his horse and we lost him in town but just as we camped for dinner he rode up and wanted to get his dinner and also wanted to board with us to Boise so after dinner he got on his horse and rode ahead to Ft. Collins to sell his horse and saddle.

All the morning we saw some beautiful lakes all fed by irrigating ditches, and they were large ones too. The scenery is fine through here for the mountains give so many beautiful colors, the snow covered peaks, the timber covered slopes, and the shaded canyons each giving a different hue.

As we drove into Ft. Collins the first one we saw was our visitor at dinner, George Clark by name, and he had gone on and selected the night campground. We just halted long enough to get supplies then drove out about one mile quite a nice place to camp for the night. Ft. Collins is quite a good sized place and nearly all the buildings are of Brick but there had been a fire in town a short time ago and had sure left its mark.

July 2, 1885 We had another addition to our camp by a couple of young men going to Larimie. About 1 ? miles this side of camp we passed through LaPorte. It is a small place, a store, hotel and blacksmith It is situated on the Castalapovdla among small trees. This stream was wide and deep and very swift. There were lots of tyes floating down it as we traveled up the stream. We followed up this stream about 1 ? miles and come into the mountains, or foothills, as they are called, dinnered in a canyon and after dinner Gussie and I went up on the mountains to gather gum off the trees. This gum is the sap of the fine tree and tastes a little like resin. As we went back down we got separated from each other and thought we were lost. We did not get any specimens and we saw a bear which had been tamed and it was chained to a tree. We camped tonight on a little prairie. Mr. Clark killed a Jack rabbit for supper. It is clear and pretty tonight. We traveled quite pretty county all day.! !

July 3, 1885 We got started this morning at 530 o'clock and entered the mountains quite soon after, and have passed over very rugged country all the forenoon. We stopped for dinner in a canyon near Virginia Dale, the place takes its name from a man who was murdered and robbed in it. It is a narrow, very narrow valley bounded by rock and barren cliffs and tow or three small ranches close together. After dinner Gussie and I went up on the hillside and gathered flowers.

We came out up on the Larimie plains right after dinner but they are bleak and desolate but the antelope live on them for we saw some and Mr. Woods and Mr. Flick tried to get them and did not catch up with us until we camped at night and of course, did not get them.

There is quite a few trains on this road all double headers, passenger trains and all. We have plenty of water and grass tonight.

July 4th, 1885 We got started by 5 o'clock this morning, came through two small stations on the U.P.R.R. We struck this road at Tye Siding yesterday afternoon. We got into Larimie City just in time for the 4th of July Parade and it was fine. Ladies and Gentlemen on horse back, companies on foot, dressed in all sorts of uniforms.

We drove on through and camped on the south side of the Big Larimie River for dinner, and while we were still at dinner there came up a terrible sand storm and there was another sand storm struck us this afternoon.

There were some people from Jewel Co, Kansas camped there too. And they are driving a bunch of cows through with them. We started about two o'clock and reached Little Larimie for night. Those young men stopped at Larimie City. There is not much grass, it is cloudy, and we are all so tired we are going to bed and leave the dishes.

July 5, 1885 We only went about two miles and stopped for dinner as we had to cross the little Larimie river and had to double team a part of the way. Pa got his horses shod and Mr. Clark his pony also, but he had to wait so long for his that we went on and he over took us at the night campground.

Gussie and I went up on the hill and got some pretty rocks also some agates. We are camped near some bluffs and a man came and ordered us off of it. He said he was going to mow it and he owned three miles of it and gave four dollars an acre for it. The strip of land was five miles long and about 100 yds wide, just the creek.

July 6, 1885 We are camped tonight in a lovely place; the brush almost makes a fence and the grass is so nice, I guess we will lay over tomorrow and wash. We camped about three o'clock and Ma is going to unpack the wagons tonight. We started early this morning and the family from Kan. With the cows, camped with us last night. Their names are Hudlestones. It is a man and his wife, three small children and her brother. Part of their cows are giving milk and they gave us all we wanted for supper and breakfast. They left camp ahead of us but we soon overtook and passed them.

The most of the county was very rough this forenoon. We had to pay tell twice today, once early this forenoon at Rock Creek, a dollar a wagon, and this afternoon at Medicine Bow on the Medicine Bow river. It is a very small place just a store and a school house and a horse ranch. We met seven wagons today near Rock Creek which and some from Eastern Oregon and Northern California. We dinnered today on a small creek about ten miles for Elk Mountain.

We passed though Old Ft. Hallack this afternoon but there are no soldiers there now. There was a graveyard just before we came to the Ft. where the Indians massacred a train of emigrants years ago, but we did not take time to go through it. We are camped tonight at the foot of Elk Mt. And it looks like rain.

July 9, 1885 We were rolling this morning at six o'clock and came about 20 miles today. We passed through Rattle-snake gulch and crossed Rattle-snake creek, the gulch is about one mile long and very steep on each side. We have stopped for dinner on Pass creek and so layed over and are still here tonight. Pass creek is in the North Platt valley.

The men all went hunting. Marius got one, Everett two, Albert four sage hens and Pa and George got seven sage hens and four rabbits.

There was an old man came to camp who was a woman's rights, and also said he did not like Oregon and it made Berrys so mad because Ma would even talk to him, they went and built a camp fire of their own and would not cook on the same fire with us. When it is raining and Pa and boys got all the wood, then it is fine and all right -have one fire but if Pa can't get the wood then they build a fire to their selves. (Ed. Note At this time in history, it was not popular nor too conventional to be for women's rights. The majority were so definitely against it. A person had to have a thick skin and the courage of the convictions to publicly favor women's rights. Ma and Pa Burnap belong to this latter group. Obviously, the Berrys did not!)

July 10, 1885 We had a fearful storm last night, heavy thunder and lightning and rain, but it is clear this morning and we are going to dry things out before we start.

After we did get started today we came quite a ways and are camped on Jack Creek. We passed through Warm Springs on the North Platt River. (We crossed the South Platt at Denver) The springs are right out in the river and you can see them boil up. Warm Springs is a small place, just a Hotel, store, blacksmith shop and a few dwellings. There is a ranch off to our left tonight. This creek is clear and deep and there are not trees on it.

July 11, 1885 We are camped tonight on Little Sage Creek; traveled about 25 miles today. Stopped for dinner today on Big Sage creek. It is a muddy stream, the first we have seen for a quite a while.

We passed two well-dressed men standing by their horses and one had a rifle in his hand but they did not speak or molest us; we thought perhaps they were Mormans. Today is Ocie's birthday, she is three months old and Oh! My she is cross. The weather is clear tonight and George and Mr. Huddlestone are going to take a climb on the mountain.

July 12, 1885, Sunday. Well we are camped tonight just around a point of a long ridge out of sight of Huddlestones for we did not want to travel with them. They are so brutal to their stock and then all quarrel amount theirselves and even carry revolvers to shoot each other with and we are afraid they might get into trouble and we don't want to be mixed up in it. Part of their horses gave out today and they just drove on and left them.

We have been in very rough county all day today, some of the steepest places almost strait up and down. We passed through Pine Grove and an old stage stand this forenoon and Sulfur springs this afternoon. Sulfur Springs is just an old log stable and an old log house with a dirt root where once was a store. The water here smelt like it was rotten and that tasted it said it tasted that way.

July 13, 1885 We started very early this morning and had not gone far when we saw an antelope but not close enough to shoot it and then went a short piece farther and there was one right close to the road and George fired five shots at it but did not kill it. We are camped tonight near some alkali springs in a very dirty place.

July 14, 1885 We were off quite early this morning and Mr. Berry started before we did. There were some teamsters camped with us last night and this morning part of their horses were gone so they could not start when we did. There were three graves near out camp but only one was marked but all I could make out was that he was 28 years old. We came by Mud Springs today and there was a grave there too; but it did not have a head board either, but Mr. Berrys knew who it was; they said it was a young man who shot himself accidentally and when they came by before there was a head board there. Mud Springs had once been a stage stand and Mr. Berry's name was still on the old buildings.

We step for dinner out on the hot prairie and the men who were camped with us last night came by but did not stop for dinner. We are camped tonight at Antelope Springs; this spring is clear and cold and good water, but the one last night was fearful tasting water. There is an old house here also another grave of a man, "S. P. Wallen, age 45, died Aug. 22, 1879". That one at Alkali Springs last night died July 2, 1869. There is a sheep ranch about one mile from here, it was where those teamsters were coming to.

July 15, 1885 We laid over today and washed but Berrys pushed on to Green River City. After I got my washing done George and I went down to the ranch and the boy that was left to take care of it went off and left it all "helter-skelter-go-where-you-please" style and the sheep are all gone. George and that ranchers went hunting this forenoon and they each got a deer and then this afternoon Pa and the rancher went but Pa did not kill any so he got ? of the one the rancher killed. He also got some cats for the horses of him.

July 16, 1885 We started about 7 o'clock and had to back about 2 miles to the main road as Antelope Springs is off the main highway. We traveled about nine miles and came down a steep hill into a gulch, passed by Pine Butte, came about 3 miles father and stopped for dinner. We made a dry camp. After dinner we went down a terribly steep and rock hill about ? of a mile long into a deep gulch. At the head of the gulch is Quaking Asp. Spring but we did not know it until we met a couple of teams from Oregon. There was just three men with one wagon and a man, his wife and daughter and son in the other. They said they camped a Quaking Asp Springs as they went through before. They were disgusted with Oregon. They said you could not raise fruit there or grain wither that was not frost bit and the snow as 6 inches deep the 21st on May, but in Mrs. Hasbrough's letter dated May 26, she did not mention it. We came about twelv! ! e miles farther and are camped tonight at Iron or Mud Springs, the mud smells like burnt power or worse. It is a very pretty camping place.

July 17, 1885 We got a little late start this morning and had not gone more that a quarter of a mile when we came to a place where something had been dragged across the road, looking like there had been a murder and it was aften to a cliff of rock near by; we stopped and Pa followed up the trail and found where some one and killed a deer and drug it down across there then after we had gone a short distance farther, we found the head and feet of it with a slip of paper saying on it "Everette killed me, Mr. Deer July 16, 1885".

We camped for dinner on a little branch in the Sage Brush and after going about two miles we climbed a hill about one mile long and it was very steep too. On the top as two guide posts; one was an Indian guide and the other said 22 miles to Green River. We camped near one of the Miller ranches; they are owned by two Dutchmen and the foreman of this one had hired a man and his wife to work a while who had gone from Virginia to Oregon by team and were starting back and run out of money so stopped and worked awhile. We had several showers today.

July 18, 1885 It is clear this morning and we started about 7 o,clock and dinnered on a hill side close to the Rail Road. We reached the R.R. at a sec. House, watered our horses and came on about 7 miles farther and made a dry camp for dinner. After passing Green River City we crossed a ferry on Green River about 2 ? miles from town, by the name of Apples, I think it was. It cost 50 cents per team to cross. We came a short distance farther and stopped, eat supper; fed and rested the horses an hour and are starting on now to go about twelve miles farther to overtake Berrys. Ma is sick with headache and I've made the beds and put the children to bed. After we crossed the river we came by two covered wagons and they were laying over with a lame horse, without grass for their horses.

Sunday, July 19, 1885 The sun was an hour high when I woke this morning and no one else was awake or up except Bert, he was up. George and Pa have just got up. This is a very pleasant camping place and we are going to lay over and rest as it was after 12 o,clock last night when we got here.

Last night as we were traveling Old Jule kept pulling out to the left all the time and Pa kept thinking something was wrong with the harness so he got out to see but could find nothing and finally gave her a few licks to keep her in the road but it did no good, and after we had traveled on for perhaps half an hour there was a mule brayed off to our left ? mile or so and then our mules began answering it and come to find out the road was in a horseshoe shape and Berrys were camped off there to our left. So Mr. Berry got up, lit the lantern and came and piloted us into camp. When we got to camp they were all awake and we talked and visited awhile. Gussie and I have starched our bonnets and are going to iron them and she baked some pies and I made some cookies.

The wind blew some about noon today but has calmed down now. There was a man drove in this evening from Oregon. He said that Oregon was a nice country but he was going to Kansas; he gave his name as Hunter.

July 20, 1885 We got an early start this morning, passed by two sec. Houses on the R.R. and camped for dinner about two miles from Granger.

Pa could not get grain for the horses at town; we came by several small stations and are camped tonight on Hams Fork; the boys went fishing and caught some nice fish. We have a fine camp ground with plenty of grass but Oh! The "skeeters".

July 21, 1885 We traveled on the creek all the forenoon and stopped for dinner on a high barren hill and the flies like to have eat us up. It rained this afternoon and we are camped tonight in a gulch near a small spring.

July 22, 1885 We got an early start this morning and turned around about a dozen times today and are camped tonight in a bottom near a house.

July 23, 1885 We traveled about a mile this morning and then began to climb the summit; it was nearly one and a half miles to the top. All day we crossed over hills; we came over three that took us one and a half hours to go down but not so long to go up fore we are descending the mountain. We dinnered in a canyon and the worst hill was this afternoon. We are camped tonight in Bare River Valley which is very nice looking after so long in the mountains.

July 24, 1885 We reached Coakville about nine o,clock, bought supplies up the valley at Bare River, and dinnered. We children fished some at noon but did not catch any. Berry caught a few. We paid toll twice, 33 cents once and 25 cents once. We are camped tonight in a canyon. It sprinkled several times.

July 25, 1885 Today we passed through Montpeiler. It is a very pretty Morman town and is quite good sized place. One store, a drugstore and several other business houses. After we left Montpelier we came into Bare River Valley which is well watered and very pretty. It is settled up by Mormans. This afternoon we passed through several small places and they were all Mormans. Some Indians passed close to camp going out on a hunt. We are about 15 miles from town tonight.

July 26,1885 We got an early start this morning and are camped for dinner at Bare River Springs. Today is Sunday. Since we camped for dinner the men decided to lay over the rest of the day. We met a big bunch of sheep today. They were going east somewhere.

George will leave us at Soda Springs I guess, if he gets his mail. The rest of the children all went fishing, and I started and got lost so came back to camp.

July 27, 1885 We started early this morning and got into Soda Springs about ten o'clock. We got some Lemon sugar and went up to the main spring and had quite a nice treat. (ed note We believe the lemon sugar referred to was probably what we call lemon drops.) We did our trading and drove out on Bare Rive and eat dinner.

Ma has been very sick all the afternoon. George did not leave us as Soda Springs. We came by some terrible places this afternoon. We are camped tonight near a big cattle ranch where they are milking fifty cows and packing butter. Ocie is so hungry she cries all the time and Pa has taken her and gone to where they are milking to get some milk for her.

July 28, 1885 Ma is a little better this morning so we are going to push on. Push! Push! Push! She is not really able to travel and when we get to the side track if she is worse we will send her on the train to Black Foot. Pa, Gene and Ocie will go too. George will take the teams on.

We are camped tonight on an Indian Reservation on a small clear creek where their is plenty of grass. Ma did not go on the train today. She said she did not want to go on and leave we children to come. We dinnered today near a small town on a hillside and near a small stream. We met ten covered wagons today from Oregon and the said Oregon was a terrible place. There was some Indians passed by camp tonight in a wagon. The first we have ever seen in a vehicle and they shure did look queer.

July 30, 1885 We got an early start this morning and traveled up and down hills all day and dinnered in a small ravine. Just after we got started after dinner we came up on a small boy sitting by the road on his saddle and looked like he had been crying and he said his horse had give out and he could go no father and ask Pa to take him to Ft. Hall. It was about 14 miles. He ask Berrys to, but they would not but Pa did. He seemed like a very nice fellow and he was 16 years old and his parents died when he was eight and he had supported himself for four years. He worked with the Cowboys and said he had a pretty tough row to see sometimes whey they were drinking.

We traveled over a very rough country this afternoon but have a nice camp ground tonight near Ft. Hall. This is the prettiest Ft. we have seen on our trip.

July 31st, 1885 We traveled in sand six inches deep all the morning and got to Black Foot between ten and eleven. Black Foot is an old place but a stranger passing through would not judge it so for all the buildings are comparatively new and small. There is quite a few business houses. We came out about the one and one half miles from town and crossed Snake River on a bridge and eat our dinner.

George is going to stop here but he came and eat dinner with us. He left his things at the Livery Stable. We are going to fill the kegs here with water for we will make a dry camp for supper and drive on to Root Hog on the desert yet tonight, for it is so hot the horses cannot stand the travel during the day without water. Sage Brush and Grease wood is all we see.

Aug. 1, 1885 We got here to Root Hog about midnight. It is shure rightly named for we gave ten cents a bucket full for water for the horses. We did not get started very early, it was eight or after, and came to the next water about two this afternoon and are going to lay over here untill tomorrow morning.

This is a stage stand and there is a girl here about Gussie's and my age. I know she must be lonesome in this lonely, desolate place. She went a short distance for a ride with a stage driver.

Aug. 2, 1885 We started at seven this morning. Today is Sunday and cold and "Drizzly". We have traveled in the desert and lava beds ever since we left Black Foot, have bought water twice and then made dry camps at dinner. We got to Lost River about four or half past and camped for the night. There is a store and Post Office here so we got some provisions. We thought we would get to see where the River sinks but won't. This is a very pretty camp ground.

Aug 3, 1885 It was clear this morning and we started early as usual and came by where there is some mines this forenoon. Camped for dinner near a Post Office but did not learn the name. We made about twenty miles today and are camped tonight at Quaking Asp Springs. This is prettier by far than Sage and Grease wood.

Aug 4, 1885 Everybody was rushing this morning and we got off extra early. The road for the most part was bordered on both sides by trees and like a Avenue. We dinnered in a small cove bordered on one side by high mountains and on the other side by lava beds. There is a nice spring here. We are camped tonight in another small cove with a small creek coming out of the mountain all covered with small trees and brush. It is called Dead Man's Flat for they say a man was murdered here years ago. We have traveled along by and through lava beds all day today but this is the last. I don't see how such rocks ever go piled in such shapes.

Aug. 5, 1885 We were out this morning bright and early, dinnered today on a small creek under some willows in a real pretty place. After dinner we crossed a mountain over into Silver Creek valley and camped at a bachelor's ranch for the night. Made about twenty miles today.

Aug. 6th, 1885 This morning we crossed over another range of hills into Woods Rive Valley, dinnered on a small creek with no shade, traveled over a rough, hilly county all the afternoon and are camped tonight on another small Creek with plenty of shade. Woods River Valley is a rocky barren place and today we only made about sixteen miles.

Aug. 7, 1885 Crossed several small creeks this forenoon and came to a store on Big Cammas Prairie about eleven miles from last night's camp. Went about fivc miles farther to Soldier and camped for dinner. The grass is fine here and we are going to lay over several days and let the horses rest and eat. Berrys are in a such a hurry they are going on but the horses were so hungry for grass they would not eat their grain at noon.

Aug. 8th, 1885 We are going to wash today. A miner was at camp last night.

Aug. 9th, 1885. We are going to wash again today and clean the wagons all up and start on again in the morning.

Aug. 10, 1885 We started very early this morning and it is quite cold. Dinnered off the road on a little creek about one half mile. Camped tonight in a gulch with great high rocks I cannot describe called Castlerocks.

Aug. 11, 1885 We traveled over hills all day today. Yesterday we crossed High Prairie and today Little Cammas Prairie. We stoped today for dinner on a small branch under some trees and camped all night in a deep canyon, Syrup Creek by name. We came over Emigrant Hill today. The road is a terrible one. Pa and I helped Ma and Gene carried Ocie and got them down the hill to the creek, then Pa and I climbed back up and dead-locked the wheels and Bert and Pa rode the upper front wheel and Marius and I the upper hind wheel to keep the wagon from upsetting and then had to climb back again and take the other wagon down the same way. It was three quarter when we got to the bottom and Oh! How hungry we were.

Today is Marius' birthday. He is fourteen years old and Ocie is four months. We came about two miles down the canyon and are camped tonight at the foot of a great big hill and will have to climb it the first thing in the morning.

Aug. 12, 1885 Well, we finally got up that hill, if we did not get started untill ten o'clock. We came over two more hills today and got off our road and had to go back about a mile. We camped there all night. There is some freighters camped here too. We did not stop for dinner but camped for night about five o'clock. This is quite a pretty place. One of the freighters is from Ill. And his name is Billy Pike.

Aug. 13, 1885 We got started this morning ahead of the freighters as it was only about seven o'clock. We reached the Toll road today about ten o'clock and drove on through Corder. It is a small place, just a store and two or three dwellings. We camped at Tapes ranch for dinner, lay over untill three o'clock and drove to Blocks ranch and camped for night. It is a stage stand.

We overtook two young men traveling by team from Mont. To Ore. They are two brothers, Ed and Ira Rutlege. Ed is the oldest and quite level headed but Ira is a care free as the wind.

Aug. 14, 1885 We started quite early this morning and reached Boise in about 16 miles travel and stoped for dinner right in town. We got some mail but none from George so Pa hunted for him awhile but did not find him. We are camped in a man's field and one of the boys we saw at Soldier is working for him.

Aug. 15th, 1885 We did not start very early this morning as Pa traded off the rifle for some vegetables and horse feed and five dollars in money and it took some time to gather up the stuff. We met a man just after we started and he partly hired Pa to work. We are camped tonight in his field.

Aug. 16, 1885 Well, it is Sunday and we are all going to lay over today. Don't know whether we will get work or not.

Aug 17, 18, 19, 20 1885 Well, the men went to work on the threshing machine the 17th and we washed and cleaned wagons and they worked up to the night of the 20th when we are ready to start on. We are camped in the machine owner's orchard and on the banks of the Boise river. The owner gave us all the vegetables and milk we wanted, also all the apples we wanted if we children would not climb the trees; and you may depend we do not. The weather has been very warm all the time we have been here and we went bathing in the river every day almost.

Aug. 21st 1885 Well, it is nice and clear this morning and we started again; We crossed one range of hills this forenoon and dinnered in the Payette river valley near an irregating ditch. It was alkali water. This afternoon it rained very hard and alkali in the ground just made the pools of water look like ashes lye. We are camped tonight near Falk's Store and it is still cloudy.

Aug. 22, 1885 We started early and not much of interest. We crossed New and Old Payette's and dinnered between the two and crossed the Old Payette after diner and drove within 18 miles of Weiser, and camped all night in a man's yard. Pa killed lots of rabbits today.

Aug. 23, Sunday, 1885 We passed through Weiser and crossed the Snake river on an old ferry as the main ferry had been damaged with high water. Cost .75ct. per team and he could just take one team across at a time. We dinnered about one mile out on the prairie in Ore. For dinner, out first meal in Ore.

We traveled right up Snake river where the road is blasted out of solid rock and is straight up hundreds of ft. on one side, and straight down several hundred ft. on the other to the river, and just wide enough for a wagon to pass along. We are camped tonight on a flat about three miles from Old's Ferry on the Snake.

Aug. 24, 1885 We did not start very early this morning and part of our road this forenoon was like yesterday afternoon. We passed by the ferry we should have crossed on about nine o'clock. This place has a round house, fine large, hotel, several stores and is in reality a mining town. We camped for dinner in the yard of a place where the folks were gone to a funeral. In the afternoon we crossed over some large hills and camped all night not far from a ranch.

Aug. 25, 1885 We got started about eight this morning and traveled about nine miles and came to a place where a man was washing out gold in a placer mine and we stoped to see him work. They shake the dirt in a broad, shallow pan holding the plan most all under the water and the dirt all washes away and leaves the gravel and gold in the bottom. He asked Pa for a piece of paper and he wrapped up the gold (6 grains larger than a pin head) and gave it to me. He said it was worth about .50. We camped for dinner near an irregating ditch and black-smith shop. After dinner we traveled about ten miles and camped for night on a little creek close to the R.R.

Aug. 26, 1885 We started about seven this morning but nothing worth mentioning untill we camped for dinner when Old Prin came very near miring in a small branch where she was grazing. We traveled about twelve miles this forenoon, after dinner we came to Baker City and stoped and did some trading. Baker City is situated in the Powder River valley and it is a better valley, it seems, than the Boise for it does not need irregation. The farms are all well cultivated. We are camped tonight on the open prairie.

The old Dutchman who was traveled with us for several days left us at Baker City. There is little streams all through this valley and the mountains on the West are all covered with snow.

Aug. 27, 1885 This morning we came into a lane, the first in the west, and stayed in it all the forenoon. After we had gone about eight miles, Ed and Ira got work for themselves and pasture from their horses so they stoped and now we are alone again. We passed through North Powder today. It is a new R.R. town with just a, Post Office, flouring mill and nice Depot. We stoped for dinner in a shady place on North Powder River. We passed over very rolling country this afternoon and are camped tonight in the East end of Grande Round Valley, four miles from Union, the county seat of Union Co. which is 137 mils long and 97 miles wide. (Ed. Note When Maud recopied her diary in later years she inserted the following at this point It was divided and Wallowa Co. made out of it in June of 1887 with Joseph for the County seat and remained so for two years, when Enterprise was voted the County seat. La Grande is the county sear of Union co. since 1910.')

Aug. 28, 1885 We passed through Union this morning about seven o'clock. Union is not near as thriving or pretty a town as Baker City but previsions were higher. We dinnered near a large steel bridge which is not a toll bridge. It is boarded up on both sides. After we crossed the River we were in the main Grande Round valley which is the largest nicest and best cultivated valley we have seen. Grain of all kinds stands up to a man'' waist, is dead ripe and they head it and thresh it all at once. We passed one field where two headers was cutting it as fast as one thresher could thresh it. We camped all night on Willow Creek and got pasture for the horses for five cts. Per head. It has been all the rest of the day .12 ? and .15cts. per head.

Aug 29, 1885 We started early this morning and crossed Elk Flat. The country here is very rough and rolling. We dinnered close to a house on Elk Flat and got some butter. We traveled about twelve miles this afternoon and we camped tonight in the Wallowa Canyon about four miles from the bridge across the Wallowa River. It is a rickety old thing but we had to give .25 cts. Per wagon to cross. Here where we are camped they killed a bear this afternoon and gave us some of the meat.

Aug. 30, 1885 We had not got breakfast over this morning when some old Indian Squaws came by hunting a white pony. They said they were afraid the white men would kill them so they were going back to the reservation and that their men had gone up over the hill.

We had to travel about six miles before we got out of the canyon when we came out into the new lovely Wallowa Valley. The Indians last raid on this valley was made in 1877 and there were just a few white settlers scattered over it. Dinnered on the banks of the Wallowa River and gave a man his dinner who was afoot hunting work.

After dinner we passed the quiet little town of Lostine consisting of three stores, Livery stable and hotel, and are camped tonight on Mr. Wade's place on the Wallowa River, as we are traveling right up the river.

Aug. 31st., 1885 Well, we will load up and start this morning for the last time in three long months, as we will reach Prairie Creek today. We won't go through Joseph but take a cut-off and leave it to our right.

We dinnered today on some desert land, or land which had been taken under the desert act.

We got to our old friends and neighbors of Mo. Early this afternoon so will soon move out of our covered wagons and live a little like one should.

Thus ends a long, teidious and troublesome journey.

Signed Maud R. Burnap, age 15 years, 7 month

As was noted at the first of this diary, this original information was kept in a manila envelope until in the 1920's when Maud copied it. Her daughters, Lelah and Cordelia both well remember reading it in its original form. They both feel that some of it was apparently lost as they both remember being told and also read the following incident.

When starting the westward trek, the Burnap family consisted of the parents, William and Melvina, and their Maud, Marius, Eugene, Albert, Accl and six-week old daughter, Vawn. Towards the first of their journey they came upon some friendly Indians. They were completely fascinated by the tiny, white baby. They would point to her and keep repeating "Ocie". They were later told that Ocie is the name of a beautiful, white desert flower. The baby was then named Ocie Vawn and you will note that through the diary Maud calls her Ocie. In later years she was called Vawn but throughout her childhood went by her Indian name of Ocie.



When the orginal completed booklet was mailed to all of the family in September, 1966, I immediately began receiving wonderful letters from various members of the family expressing their delight with it. It was most gratifying to know that you all enjoyed it so much. DeLaine Clark contacted Billy Burnap in Walla Walla, Washington and he sent for copies and also wrote a grand letter just full of information which I did not have. He also put me in touch with Marde Burnap Walker who also supplied me with additional information. Maude and Billy are children of Acel Hoyt Burnap, youngest son of William and Melvina Burnap. Maude then gave me the address of her cousin, Zola Burnap Irwin who is the youngest child of Eugene Burnap. From the three of them we have obtained some new information as well as correcting some misinformation. All of this material in the supplement has come from the three of them.

Also as a result of the booklet, a family reunion is planned for July 1967 in Hermiston, Oregon. People are coming from Canada, Colorado, California and all points in Oregon and Washington. Besides the family, we understand that many old friends of the family from Wallowa County, Oregon are planning on attending. Again, may I express my appreciation to all of you for receiving these amateur efforts so graciously.

Bonnie Boone Lindroff.

Mary Melvian Hoit Burnap

Melvina's parents were Mr. And Mrs. Acel Hoit. Melvina later changed the spelling of her maiden name to Hoyt and named her youngest son after her father giving him the name of Acel Hoyt Burnap.

Melvina's father, Acel was commissioned a Colenel in the Unites States Army at the age of 22. The gold "ellete" that he wore while he was in the service are in the possession of Zola Burnap Irwin in Spokane.

Malvina's mother's name was Hickensen. On page 53 we tell of the death of Melvina's aunt, Mrs. Truman Hecox. Very possibly this is another case where the spelling of the name had been changed on the whim of an individual or it could have been an error on the part of the newspaper. If so, Mr. Truman Hecox would have been the brother of Melvina's mother. We also tell of the dath of Martin McNett, Melvina's uncle. We have no information as to whether he was from the Hickescek-Hecox family or form the Hoits.

While Melvina was doing her Civil War work, she was known on both sides of the line as red-headed Mary. She was a very strong-willed individual and never hesitated to let people know it. Maude Walker and Billy Burnap both remember her telling of one instance where she had taken a barrel of eggs into a Southern hospital for the wounded Union men. She went through the wards talking to the men and found one young fellow had not eaten his egg. When se asked him why, he said it was too "salty". She told him she had brought the eggs and he could certainly have another one, but when she went to see about it she found the eggs had been taken to the officer's mess. She raised a considerable amount of fuss about it until she got them back, and the proceeded to cook all of them and personally see that they were fed to the enlisted men. As you see, she wasn't called Red-headed Mary for nothing.

When Melvina's youngest child, Ocie Vaun died in 1912 she left two children, Juanita and Myrle aged 9 and 7. William Burnap had died the previous year and Melvina took the two grandchildren and raised them until Juanita was married and Myrle was old enough to be on his own. For some time they lived on a small farm outside of Touchet, Washington. There was some land which could be farmed with irrigation and her sons Acel and Eugene planted crops for her. Melvina kept her old horse, Flora, who was a descendent of one of the team they drove West. Flora was a beautiful bay with black mane and tail. She was said to be of Kentucky Whip Stock and had the lines of a thoroughbred. She kept For a for many years, even taking her to Lodi and Stockton, California when she moved there for a few years. However, the heat bothered her and they moved back to Pendleton and then to Touchet. Flora must have been over thirty years when they disposed of her when Melvina moved to Retsil, Washingto! ! n. Maude Walker, who was a sophisticated teen-age at the time, tells of her grandmother Melvina, sometimes putting a side-saddle on Flora and riding and how embarrassed it made her as she felt it wasn't a dignified past time for a woman past eight years old.

Maude also tells us that Melvina boasted she read the Bible "from cover to cover" more than once. However,, she did not read it to fonfirm faith, but to find flaws. She had a thing about the stars, though, and Maude has the impression Melvina that they controlled human destiny. She studied books of astrology and taught Juanita to recognize the constellations by name.

Maude lived in Retzil, Washington at the time of her last illness. Her eldest son Marious, stayed with her and helped take care of her and her youngest son, Acel, assisted financially. She received a Civil War Pension and admission to Retzil, the old soldier's home, on her husband's Civil War Service. She is buried in the National Cemetery there.

Maude Walker is also in possession of a diary written Melvina's writing of their trip across the plains. It is obviously written from the same notes used by Maud in writing her diary. Melvina started keeping the diary when they left but after about 1 week turned it over to her daughter, Maud. We are guessing that Melvina then wrote her diary from the notes and then gave the to Maud to write hers. In many instances the wording is exact and sequences is the same. There are some incidents, which are the same. We hope to be able to give you the more detailed versions of particular incidents, if time permits.

In Melvina's history we mentioned there were several letters from Civil War veterans thanking her for her work on their behalf. None of these were written by William Burnap but two different letters mention his whereabouts or his welfare to her. It would seem that they probably met during the war on her visits to the various camps. Obviously, the writers of the letter knew that Miss Hoit would be interested in hearing about young Mr. Burnap.

At the time of Melvina's death she had three trunks full of old letters. There were letters from every king, president, and every prominent person in the world. Not realizing the values of all of this, most of it was destroyed.

Mary Melvina Hoyt Burnap

Funeral Sermon, May 1926

Mary Melvina Hoyt, second child of Mr. And Mrs. Acel Hoyt, was born at Chester in Meighs County, Ohio, September 30, 1842. She died at Retzil, Washington on May 24, 1926, aged 83 years, 7 months and 24 days.

She was married to William David Burnap of West Point, Illinois, March 3, 1867. Comrade Burnap of the seventh Missouri Cavalry, served during the whole period of the Civil War. He died at La Grande, Oregon, December 22, 1911.

Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Burnap, 5 of who survive the parents. Ruthanar Maud of Canada, Marius Melvin, Pendleton, Oregon, Albert Vinton Burnap, Boise Idaho, William Eugene Burnap, Zillah, Washington, and Asel Hoyt Burnap, Touchet, Washington. Three of these of these children are here at the mother's funeral today, Marious, who you know as Bill, and Gene and Asel.

Before the marriage to Comrade Burnap, Miss Hoyt did heroic service during the Civil War. She was one of that bands of noble women who carried provisions of food and clothing to the soldiers of the North in hospitals in the south. Northern women would collect supplies of good things, necessities and comforts for these sick and wounded and Miss. Hoyt would go with the wagons on the long grips south and back again. This she continued doing as long as there was need, bringing sheer and gladness to the suffering, he homesick, the heartsick, the dying.

After the war, Comrade Burnap and his brave wife came west. They belonged to the pioneer class. They were people of the frontier, kept moving westward with the ever advancing, far-flung line of this great Northwest. One trip, from Lamar, Missouri to Joseph, Oregon in 1885, 40 years ago and more, consumed 105 days. They come to Walla Walla in 1890.

How great is our debt to people such as these. And what a difference in a trip across the country, as we make it, today, and as they made it half a century ago.

Eleven years after Comrade Burnap answered the final summons from the Great Commander of all; Mrs. Burnap came to Retzil, in July 1922, four years ago. Here, in the comfort, amid the beauty and splendor of these surroundings, in this lovely little city which a generous government at the bidding of a generous-hearted nation has built for those who served their country so well, here in comfort, cared for so faithfully by the servants of the government and by her dutiful son, Marius, appreciating the things that were done for her comfort and relief, she has passed on. Appreciative. What a gracious thing that is. To appreciate what others do for us. This woman had done a great work. Her war service, her pioneering, her mothering 7 children. Then, when old age with its infirmities and distresses overtook her, she was lovingly cared for. Isn't that fine. Isn't that, as it ought to be? Those who love and toil, sacrifice and endure, what love and tenderness and devotion they should! ! receive. And then, at the last, to go home to God. O Lord, thou have been our dwelling place in all generations. Thou art Father, Mother, Home, all in one to thy people.

Tis a long road home

But sleep for aching eyes,

Rest for weary feet

For striving hearts a prize

Silence still and sweet

Wait at the end of the long road home

'Tis a dark road home

With shadows long and deep

Where timid travelers fall

'Tis a hard road home,

Many faint and lag

Beneath the heavy pack

With feet and hearts that drag

But none looks back

We know there's an end to the hard road home.

And scarce their path may keep

But the light that shines for all

Gleams at the end of the dark road home.

On February 11, 1862 William Burnap was commissioned fourth Duty sergeant in the Blackhawk Regiment of the Unites States Cavalry. On May 7, 1862 he was commissioned Third Sergeant of company E of the seventh Cavalry Regiment of the Missouri Volunteers. He was discharged in Little Rock, Arkansas on the forth day of January in 1864 under the rank of Third Sergeant. The originals of his discharge and the commissions are in the possession of Billy Burnap. He also has the saber carried by William throughout the war.

The family name of Burnap was originally spelled with an a but sometime, someone changed it to Burnip. William David's father's name was David Burnip. All of William David's Civil War papers are spelled with the I, but Melvina changed it back to the a. At the time she applied for her Civil War pension there was quite an ado about it as she was using Burnap and all of his papers were Burnip.

William David's mother's name was Margaret Gilliland. She was born in Harnor, Ohio and is buried at Touchet, Washington.

Margaret Gilliland's father was Daniel Jones Gilliland. He was born January 11, 1792 in New York. He died on July 20, 1868. In 1812 he married Betsy haven who was born July 9, 1796 in New York. She died in 1889. She was known far and wide as Grandma Gillilan, and as has been the case clear down through the generations she also was a noted midwife in those days back in her home.

Betsy Haven's father was Richard Haven. The only information we have on him is that he was a veteran of the War of 1812. He married Tabitha Whittaker. Her father, whose name was Whittaker, fought and died in the war of the Revolution.

to be continued. ....


Jim, you get your christmas wish.  I have enclosed a copy of the diary.

Please enjoy, but do not sell the diary.  This dairy is available today because of the generosity of Bonnie, Karmen's mom, another Burnap researcher and my 17 yr. old son who re-typed and combined the 2 versions of the diary.  The diary can be copied and distributed as long as it is distibuted in full, and includes the transcribers names. 

©--- Mona Pomraning

Contents * Index * Surnames * Contact