Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Townsend family

Norfolk, England 
Extracts taken from a privately printed publication written in 1892
by  F M Townsend
23 Bidston Road

I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of this publication from Robert Pelletier, the present owner and resident, who is restoring the home of R H Creller( the Macfie farm) in Clarenceville Qc ( July 2000) to its original glorious state, circa 1850.

I have extracted and reproduced the information regarding Rev Micajah Townsend's family, as his daughter married John Macfie and I felt that I would not be deprived of using this information and reproducing it on my web page. I have  also sketched the family line of Rev. Micajah Townsend back to the early records as provided in this publication for reference only.

Micajah Townsend, son of Micah Townsend Esq, of Brattleboro Vermont, was born 22nd January 1789. He died at Clarenceville Canada the 17th January 1871 aged 82.

On the 13th day of July 1813 the Rev Micajah Townsend was duly and canonically  Inducted into the Rectory and Parish Church of St Thomas de Noyan by the Rev James Jones , Missionary at Stanbridge acting under the mandate of William Dawes, Rector of the St John's and Commissary (adhoc) specially appointed by the Right Rev George Jehoshaphat Mountain, Lord Bishop of Montreal.

On the 21st day of February the said Rev. Micajah Townsend was duly and canonically inducted to the Rectory of the Parish of St Georges de Clarenceville by the Rev George Jehoshaphant Mountain, Archdeacon of Quebec specially appointed (ad hoc0 by the Right Rev Charles James, Lord Bishop of Quebec.

Rev Micajah Townsend remained in these positions for some 60 years, touching the lives of most of the residents of the area that we know of as today, Noyan, Henryville, Phillipsburg, Pike River, and in to the American towns of Swanton, St Albans and Alburg Springs. His traveling through out the area, recording births, deaths and marriages has provided genealogists with an immense quantity of detail, allowing us to understand the hardships, and glories that our forefathers encountered while establishing them selves in this new and untamed land of opportunity.

Micah Townsend - Mary Wells
Children :
Harriet Matilda Townsend 
Born in Brattleboro Vermont
August 9th 1779. 
     Died May 2nd 1848
Montreal Canada East

Samuel Wells Townsend
-  Born 24th May 1781
           Died 12th April 1817 
Cambridge VT

Epenetus Towsend       
-   Born 24th Jan 1783
Died Jan 1839  

Rebecca Gale Townsend
Born 21 Nov 1784
     Died 3rd Dec 1830 
Phillipsburg Que.

Mary Townsend                
- Born 25th Oct 1786 
     Died 27th Sept  1839
Phillipsburg Que.

Micajah Townsend             
- Born 22 Jan 1
        Died 17 Jan 1871
Clarenceville Qc

Elizabeth Platt Townsend   
- Born 31 Jan 1800
     Died 25 March 1844

Sarah Barnard Townsend    
- Born 26th February 1793
   Died 14th February 1841.


Harriet Matilda Townsend , daughter of Micah Townsend and Mary Wells, was born in Brattleboro, Vermont, 9th August 1779. She died at Montreal, Canada 2nd May 1848. And was buried at Clarenceville Que., Canada in accordance with he provisions of he will. Of her early life we know but little, save that she moved from Brattleboro Vermont to Farnham , Lower Canada ( Canada East) in 1802. She became possessed of a small amount of property and owned a house and lot in Phillipsburg (CE) which property is referred to in various letter in the possession of the heirs of the late Rev M Townsend, her brother: especially in a copy of her last will and testament, of which we think it is interesting to attach a copy. She was a woman of rather precise and empathic manner and great determination, possessed of deep Christian piety and the strictest integrity. She carried on and directed a school at Phillipsburg for some years, and we believe we may say, without fear of contradiction, she maintained a fair standard of discipline. She remained unmarried( except to "good works" as her brother Micajah T tells us) and this may have accentuated  the intellectual decisiveness of her manner and character. Nor was she without the power of deep affection and sympathy as her letter abundantly show :

The copy of her Will here follows ---

Last Will and Testament of the Late Harriet Townsend.

" Deeply impressed with the uncertainty of life and desirous to prevent, as far as I am able, the closing scene of mine from being disturbed with worldly cares, I do now, while in the enjoyment if health and of my usual mental faculties, make the following disposition of my temporal concerns. But first with solemn awe and humble reverence, I commit myself to God, my Creator. " Dust to Dust, ashes to ashes!" The sprit to Him who breathed into my nostrils a living Soul ! - all in the confiding hope of a resurrection to eternal life, through the merits and atonement of my blessed Redeemer Amen"

" Should it please God that my earthly existence terminate within two day’s journey of Clarenceville, it is my earnest request that my remains be taken thither for internment and placed in the vacant space left  for them in the church yard, between the graves of my mother and my sister: and it is also, not only my earnest request, but my solemn injunction, that every thing relating to my obsequies may be as plain and void of expense as decency ( not in town but in the country) will admit. I request that no undertakers with their long train of useless and extravagant expenditures, may be employed : decent grave clothes are prepared, in addition to which a plain simple cheap coffin only will be requisite.

" The removal of the corpse to Clarenceville, and when it will subsequently be convenient, a simple gray marble grave stone, similar to those on each side, to note the name, age and date, without comment, comprise all the indispensable expenses, to defray which, I leave twenty-five pounds, deposited in the Provident and Savings Back of Montreal in January 1844, which my brother, the Rev Micajah Townsend will be pleased to draw out together with any interest that may be due thereon and apply to the above purposes which I beg he will himself ( should he survive me) see accomplished at the proper times. --- should there be any surplus remaining from the expenses of internment, I wish it to be applied to refunding the cost of such slight mourning as he or any of his family may desire to wear on the occasion; as by the blessing of God, my beloved daughter Mrs. Gale is so amply provided for that the little I possess, independent of her husband’s bounty, would be undesired and unnecessary to her, I feel it an imperative duty to dispense that little to other relatives whom it would essentially benefit ; and the more easily to effect such purpose I give and bequeath to my beloved and only remaining brother the Rev Micajah Townsend, my lot of land in the Village of Phillipsburg, St. Armand being a portion of lot 4 on Day Street, the house and outbuilding there on erected, together with a stove, dumbstove, and all other things in and about the house, belonging to me subject to the conditions hereafter named. To enable him to fulfill which I hereby appoint him my executor and empower him to take possession of the property as soon after my decease as practicable; when I leave it entirely to his judgment either to dispose of it , if he care to do to so advantageously, and invest the money so that it will be safe and produce an available and certain income; or to continue to let it, as has been heretofore done. The conditions on which the bequest is made are as follows :- That Mr. Townsend examine into the state of the premises, and if necessary, see that the requisite repairs are made to preserve the property in good condition: that he see the ground rent, insurance, taxes and any contingent expenses that may arise upon it regularly paid as they occur and that with the first money he receives for rent, over what shall be immediately required for repairs to make the house tenantable  he repay any personal outlays he may have made in the execution of my purposes: and when his receipts from the property shall have been sufficient to pay all such expenses, he will receive the rent himself as a compensation for his trouble, paying only therefrom a sum of L5 currency, annually to my dear niece M Matilda Townsend as long as she continues single and unprovided for, but should she ever be well settled in life, then this annuity is to cease, and the property be thenceforth, unencumbered with any further clog, entirely at my brother’s disposal, either to lay by as an aid in the education of his children or to expend in any way he thinks expedient. But if by the providence of God, my beloved brother should not survive me that I give and bequeath the property to his widow, for the benefit of their children, upon the same conditions as it would have been given to her husband had he survived by the above testament. To my dear sister in law, Mrs. Townsend , I leave as a token of affection remembrance my mourning brooch, also what ever articles of furniture etc., remain of those I left at her house in 1839, except the bed and bedding, which I leave to my niece Mary Matilda Townsend, together with one dozen silver teaspoons, one sugar tongs and one pair of salt spoons ;also any books she may choose to select from the few volumes I left at Mr. Townsend’s, together with the annuity in money previously names should she be so circumstanced at my decease as to require it. In the hope that by a discreet and virtuous life she may gain the favour of God and the goodwill of her fellow creatures I implore the guidance of the Holy Spirit to lead her aright. To my beloved nephew Morris M Townsend I bequeath Homer’s Iliad and Odessy, two volumes presented  me by the uncle whose name he bears and which will, on that account, I trust be more valued by him. To my kind brother in law James Taylor Esquire, I leave my watch, as a small token of remembrance - may the Lord reward him a hundred fold for his unremitting kindness to me during the periods of sickness and adversity I was called to endure while a resident  near him at Phillipsburg.
To my dear niece Julia Hill , I leave my tow best trunks, also such articles of my wearing apparel not otherwise disposed of, as she would like to retain, either for her own use of that of her sisters. Trusting that she will do honour to her education by conscientiously fulfilling her duty to God and mankind aiding her father’s family according to her ability, I commended her to her Heavenly Father and implore His blessing upon her. To my niece Emily Wells, I leave my furs and winter bonnet, and to her two sisters, Harriet Matilda and Jane, I leave each a shawl which Mrs. Gale will please select and forward to Farnham. Though I have nothing worthy of his acceptance yet I beg my much esteemed and beloved friend and benefactor Judge Gale, to accept as a token of remembrance , a book, entitled, The Christian Philosopher, and another Wiberforce’s Christianity - may the Almighty bless and reward him sevenfold for all the benefits he has conferred upon my old age. To Mary M Gale, daughter of my fondest affections - what can I say ? I leave her in the fostering care of the tenderest of husbands and I can have no fear that while he is spared to her, she will know any personal want that tenderness and liberality can supply; but her position is yet not devoid of peril - may the Lord be her safeguard and seal her to himself. The few household articles which I brought with me to town are hers, to do with as she pleases ; a few of the books I likewise wish her to retain for my sake namely Combe’ Physiology, Geographical Dictionary, History of the American Church, and Selections from the Writings of Mrs. Davidson and I finally implore aid from above to enable her to train up the precious souls committed to her care in the fear and admonition of the Lord. To my precious Anna, beloved child of my fondest affections, I leave as a token of my undying love, a Bible with my blessing and an earnest injunction that when she is old enough to understand its saving truths she will read it with prayerful attention and humility of spirit and early give up her young heart in faith and love to Him, who when her father and mother forsake her, or in other words, when they have entered into their rest - will assuredly take her up. I leave also my Ivory Tablets, " Amir Khan " and " Minstrel & Shipwreck" to my sweet little god daughter Agnes Logan. And now in the cherished hope of meeting and recognizing the beloved member of my family and other dear friends who have gone before me in mansions above, I supplicate for grace, that when the final summons commeth, as come it must ere long, I may be found watching, Amen

 The  last will and testament of Harriet Matilda Townsend , written with her own hand, at Montreal  January 6th 1948.

We the undersigned Prothonotary of the Court of the Queen’s Bench in and for the district of Montreal, do hereby certify that the foregoing last  Will and Testament of the said late Harriet Matilda Townsend, the Depositions, the Petition preceeding the same and the order of the Judge touching the Probate there of, are true copies from the original, deposited in the archives of the said count, of which said archives we are the depository. 

Montreal, this ninth day of May one thousand eight hundred and forty eight,

 Mon B Coffin Papineau, PB 


Samuel Wells Townsend, son of Micah Townsend Esq., of Brattleboro was born 24th May 1781. Died 12 April 1817 at Cambridge, Vermont , He married Pamela Lawrence 1o march 1802. She was born 17th May 1782, Died 15th February 1868.

Samuel Wells at one time owned a farm in Farnham Qc, This he sold and purchased another in Cambridge Vt, where he shortly afterwards died and was buried. His wife Pamela Lawrence continued to live there until her death in 1868.

They had the following children :

Sophia Augusta , Born January 30 1804, Died November 9th 1829 Lockport NY

Erastus ,Born April 12th 1807, Died April 28th 1853 Enrosburgh VT

Mary Ann , Born April 2ns 1809. Living in Burlington VT

Micajah, Born March 10th 1812, Died Nov 14th 1862

Catherine M , Born at Farnham Qc January 1st 1815, Living at South Stukely Qc

Lydia Taylor, born April 8th 1817

Sophia Augusta, married James C Hawley, February 11th 1825 at Tonawanda NY
Erastus was thrice married, as follows - to Mary Parker June 14th 1835 ; who died at 
                                                                 who died at Cambridge Vt October 4th 1835                                                                                                                 

2nd  to Pamela Twiss, September 20th 1840, who died February 19th 1843 at Cambridge VT
     and was buried at Waterville VT

3rd  to  Miranda Barber, January 23rd 1844

By the last named wife he had issue as follows

Ellen Miranda , born at Enosburgh VT April 18th 1849

This daughter married Sheriden H Lawrence January 7th 1874 at Sheldon VT. The now reside in Enosburgh VT. Mrs. Miranda ( Barber) Townsend lives with her daughter, Mrs. Lawrence in Ensoburgh. Erastus T lived upon the home farm in Cambridge till after his third marriage , when he moved to Enosburgh where he died in 1853.


Epenetur Townsend, son of Micah Townsend Esq. of Brattleboro VT , was born January 24th 1783. He married Polly Stoughton, who was born December 16th 1785, she died at Putnam, Ohio July 14th 1819. He died at Cincinnatti Ohio January 1839

From his letter we are disposed to think of him as a man thoroughly unsuccessful in business and of  rather a desponding turn of mind. He was however, given to writing largely in verse - by the hundreds in fact - which bent of mind might, perhaps, account for the deficiencies in his everyday life, which was unlikely to insure practical success.

Children were as follows:

Harriet Matilda   , Born   ??  died  ?? in Ohio



Mary Matilda     Born 29th June 1819, married John Hetherington  16th May 1850


Rebecca  Gale Townsend , daughter of Micah Townsend Esq of Brattleboro VT, was  born November 21st 1784 and was married 8th March 1812 at Phillipsburg CE (Canada East - Quebec) to Dr. Gideon Hawley He was a son of Josiah Hawley of Arlington VT and was born May 19th 1773 died January 10th 1821 near Dayton Ohio. She died 3rd December 1830

Children were as follows :

Amos Giddeon , Born 14th August 1814 at Darby Place Ohio, Died 21st June 1878 Wyoming Iowa, buried at Le Roy Ohio

Micah Townsend , Born  October 28th 1816 at Sciota Co Ohio, died January 19th  1889 at Franboro ( Farnham) Quebec

Mary Matilda Born at Darby Place Ohio 5th September 1818. Died at Montreal 25th September 1849 She was married to the Hon Justice Gale.


Mary Townsend, daughter of Micah Townsend Esq. of Brattleboro VT was born 5th October 1786, died27th September 1839. She was married to James Taylor of Philipsburgh CE (Canada East - Quebec) 2 nd April 1823. He died 22nd March 1854

Children were as follows :

Mary Townsend  Born  24th September  1824 Married Judge Aldis. Living  at Washington D.C.

James Brisbin , Born May 1826, died Sept 1859

Samuel Gale Born 8th February 1829 Residing at 180 Cass Ave Chicago Ill


Rev Micajah Townsend, MA, son of Micah Townsend Esq., was born at Brattleboro Vermont January 22nd 1789   ( Alexander Macfie , son of Robert Macfie of Langhouse Scotland ,was born the 24 January 1789)

Of his early life and childhood we know but little, though we have good reason to believe he wrote an account to be left to his children : unfortunately, at the time of sale and removal from the homestead at Clarenceville in 1875, one of the sheets of the manuscript became detached and lost. It is to the write a great personal regret that the account of his child hood cannot be given . The papers he has left break in upon the record at the time immediately after the removal from Brattleboro Vermont, to Farnham, Canada where the British Gouvernment had conveyed to each member of the family of Colonel Samuel Wells, 1,200 acres of land as a reward for their loyalty during the War of Independence His mother being a daughter of Colonel Samuel Wells came in there for an allotment of 1,200 acres of this land.

The following extract from a letter in the St. John’s News of December 1889, is in corroboration of the above, and runs as follows -

Department du Registraire Quebec 12 Dec 1889

W F Wilkins, Esq Adamsville

Sir- In answer to your enquiry on the 9th inst, I beg to transmit the following information :

By Letter Patent of the 22nd of Octobert 1789, the hereinunder mentioned lots were given collectively or in block to Oliver Wells, Samuel Wells, Robert Wells, Richard Wells, Samuel Gale Wells, Micah Townsend, Ephraim Nash , Nathaniel Church, Reuben Church, David Wells, Abraham Cuyler, Cornelius Cuyler and Jacob Glen Cuyler ( Seventy -eight lots in all were donated to the above parties, in ranges one to six inclusive)Each of the thirteen grantees was to have a thirteenth part of the above lots, but the letters patent do not state which lot each one is to have, the distribution being left to the grantees. As for Charles St. Ours, he was granted by the same letter patent the following lots in the same Township of Farnham ( fifteen lots were granted him in the same ranges) None of  the above letter patent have been cancelled so far as we can see by our register ;

Your Humbly
 J C Langlier , Dep Prov Registrar

The grants of these lands, as before stated , were for loyalty to the crown and losses sustained during the American  War of Independence, and one portion of the grants feel to Mary, the wife of Micah Townsend. The last of this grant was not sold or disposed of until about the year 1850.

We give Mr. Townsend’s own account of his life from the age of thirteen to twenty six, without alteration, not wishing to detract from the beauty of style in which it was given. His zeal, earnestness and perseverance in the labours attending his studies necessary to fit him for the work of his Master, are an excellent example to those of the present day who may care to emulate his well directed efforts, under trying circumstances, in preparing for their life work. 

He rightly dwells upon the difficulties of repairing by subsequent exertion, aye, redoubled exertions, the lack of intellectual cultivation which should be given to children be fore they reach the age of maturity. His power and beauty of mind , as brought out in after life, illustrate how, even with  the disadvantages of a neglected early education, the latter rain may bring a full harvest .

The following only remaining sheet of his biography runs as follows ---- ( Written in the third person)

Wild flowers bloomed in rich variety at their feet diffusing their balmy fragrance through the air. A stream of pure water ( the Yamaska River) about thirty yards wide flowed gently and with unsurpassed beauty between its grassy flower covered banks shining fishes of various kinds sported beneath its surface. Over the tops of this almost unbroken forest the green mountains of Vermont and the eastern portion of Canada rear their lofty heads in a long and beautifully varied profile against the eastern sky, giving by their softening hues of light and shade a rich loveliness to the landscape for 

" Tis distance lends enchantment to the view,
And clothes the mountain in its azure hue"

Though the giddy throng who seek to kill time by amusements were now left behind, there was no place nor time for ennui, ample employment was furnished for every hand in clearing away trees and rubbish of the forest and fitting the earth for its reception of those seed which its office is to increase and multiply for the sustenance of man. Necessity and habit soon reconciled the family to this new and simple mode of life; plain diet and salutary labour gave them health of body and cheerfulness of mind; habits of industry and economy gave them that practical education which were of vast importance to them through the  remainder of their lives.. As, however, there were no schools of instruction in this primitive stage of the settlement, the absence of scholastic advantages was, to the individual now under notice, a subject to deep regret and serious deprivation, more especially as his constant attention to domestic duties left him no time for the cultivation of his mind by private study, a calamity at his age ( between thirteen and twenty one) no to be repaired by any subsequent exertion. During this period of eight years, a period the most important in the life of a young man for forming habits of study, thought, reasoning, comparison, combination and invention - for acquiring the elements of those sciences which are the tools for the mind’s future labours and the leading outlines of knowledge in it various departments which subsequent reading and experience must fill up and mature to it perfection - no proficiency whatever was made in scholastic studies, and so absorbing had the physical duties become that the least possible amount of general reading had been acquired The monotony of his pursuits during this period furnishes nothing worthy of notice.

At the age of sixteen his mind became seriously affected with religious impressions on attending the services of the itinerating Methodists, the only religious teachers who, for many years, penetrated that thinly settles wilderness, with who he connected himself and attended their worship constantly for the space of five years. His religious affections now led him to fill up the short intervals of his time with the perusal of the Scriptures and such other religious books as he could obtain, which served to quicken his moral perceptions and inbue his mind and heart with a deep sense of the fear of God and of human responsibility; and although at a subsequent period, when better informed upon the relative claims to consideration of the different branches of the Christian Church, he deem it his duty and for warming his affections with the devout exercise of charity and Christian communion.

At the age of twenty one years his health was some what impaired by the hard labour attending the clearing of a new farm in the wilderness, to which he had ambitiously applied himself; he according left home in the spring of 1810 to seek employment less labourious and engaged himself in the teaching of a district school in Alburgh Vermont, which he continued with much satisfaction to himself  and his employees for eight months, devoting his time assiduously within school  to the improvement of the children.; and out of school to the prosecution of his own studies, which had been so much neglected. This enabled him to keep in advance of his pupils - especially in arithmetical studies, and the English grammar was at that time seldom taught in common schools.

During the following winter an application was made to him by a merchant residing in Boston, a Mr. John Barnard (a former friend of the family, to whom his eldest sister, Harriet , had written on his behalf) expressing a wish to take him into his employment, to superintend a commercial establishment which he intended to commence at Eastport in Maine. He accordingly proceeded to that city in the month of February 1811, where he was received into Mr. Barnard’s family in the most kind and hospitable manner. In consequence of the existing embargo which was imposed upon all American commerce, followed soon after by a non intercourse between the tow governments, which resulted in the war of 1812, Mr. Barnyard had by this tie  abandoned the project of the establishment at Eastport as too hazardous, even for his enterprising mind; and though requiring no additional assistance in his business, he insisted on his remaining with him for a few weeks, that if possible, he might procure for him a situation in some commercial house in the city. Failing this, he decided on returning to Brattleboro, his native place, to improve his neglected education at the academy or grammar school established there; but in consequence of having had his pocket book containing most of funds abstracted from his pocket while attending an auction sale, he undertook the journey on foot, which he accomplished in three days, the distance being nearly one hundred miles. He her engaged to board with Mr. Silas Reeve, formerly a friend of his family, who perceiving his desire and anxiety to study, kindly offered to wait for his pay till the following winter, when he could earn it by teaching.

Humbled and  mortified on being placed by the side of those not half his age who were much further advanced in scholastic studies than himself, he aroused all the energies of his mind and concentrated them upon the objects before him with a fixed determination to redeem as far as possible, the precious time he had lost. During this six month’s study he acquired a knowledge of he English grammar, a good proficiency in the exercise of parsing; he performed and wrote out all he sums and problems contained in Adam’ Arithmetic ( edition 1808); committed to memory Smith’s Latin Grammar; translated Aeops’s fables from the Latin and three books of Virgil’s Enidos; studied geography partially; and committed to memory the Greek grammar.

In the November following he commenced teaching a school in Northfield Mass, which was attended by between ninety and one hundred scholars, to whom he devoted every hour of daylight; and prosecuted his own studies usually till twelve o’clock at night, by which means he read, during the winter , five books more of Virgil, reciting occasionally to the clergyman of the place, the Rev Mr. Mason. From the avails of his services in this school he was enabled to discharge his obligations to his kind friend Mr. Reeve for the expenses of his board, clothing etc., for the previous summer; and in the following March 1812, he returned to his home in Canada, performing the journey of two hundred miles on foot in six days, when he again joined his family, to every member of which he was devotedly attached. He returned to them poor in purse, but with his views much changed with respect to his future pursuits in life.

What little he had seen of the world within the past year had created in him a dislike to mercantile pursuits and inspired him with an intense desire for study to qualify him for professional life. The first sip which he had now taken at the fountain had excited a lively thirst for more intellectual food, and although the want of pecuniary means opposed obstacles to the attainment of this cherished object and strewed the path that led to it with difficulties and discouragement’s, yet, his ambition was aroused and he had learnt his first lesson of self dependence, which gave him confidence, in the success of exertions steadily and perseveringly sustained and above all his courage to encounter the difficulties that lay before him was mainly supported be a humble reliance on the blessing of God promised and always given to faithful and preserving exertions.

Not long after his return to Canada he procured an introduction to the Rev. C. Stuart, Church of England Missionary at St. Armand, L.C. ( Lower Canada) ( subsequently Lord Bishop of Quebec) and under his spiritual instruction embraced the doctrine and worship of that church, received the solemn rite of confirmation at the hands of the Right Rev. Bishop Mountain ( first Bishop of Quebec) and received his first communion at St. Armand, from that eminently pious and devoted apostle of the church in Canada, Mr. Stewart, in the summer of 1812.

About this time his beloved and venerable pastor after due examination of his qualifications, suggested to him his wish that he would commence a course of divinity studies, preparatory for taking holy orders in the church, to which, after prayerful deliberation on the solemn responsibilities of the office he consented. His circumstances however, were such as to oblige him to mingle some employment for his support with his classical and theological studies. His kind patron therefore procured for him a school at Philipsburg, a village on the eastern shore of Mississquoi Bay, which he continued to insruct for the sapce of two years, carfully filling up the morning and evening hours with such studies in the classics and divinity as were indicated by his spiritual guide, and by systematic economy in his expenses, not only sustained himself but contributed many comforts to his family.

During this period he formed acquaintance – which resulted in a permanent friendship—with Mr. James Reid, a Scotch gentleman of strong mind and good qualification, who came from Upper Canada at the request of Mr. Stewart to superintend a Gouvernment School near Phillipsburg. Mr. Reid at the same time became a candidate for the ministry and it was arranged by the Bishop and Mr. Stewart that the two candidates should receive ordination at the same time. Accordingly in the spring of 1815 they proceeded to Quebec, taking letter of introduction  and commendation from Mr. Stewart where after examination in classics and theology by the Rev S J Mountain, nephew and chaplain of the Bishop, they consecrated themselves to the work of the ministry in the Church of God and on the 7th day of May 1815, were ordained Deacons, in the Cathedral of Quebec.

As it was highly important for the inters of the church in the formation of new congregations that the clergymen should be vested with the full authority to enable him to administer the Holy Eucharist, that sacred bond of union in the Christian church in the month of January following  he proceeded to Quebec, accompanied by his friend Mr. Reid on the same holy errand. On Sunday the 21st day of January 1816 they again knelt before the alter of God, in the Cathedral of Quebec and received severally at the hands of the same  venerable prelate the authority of the holy priesthood.   - end-

The period of his boy life, from the age of 13 to 21 must have been a specially trying one, accompanied by such hardships as few , if any, of the succeeding generations can realize or understand. Few readers in the later part of the nineteenth century will know what life in a primitive Canadian forest really means , the nearest neighbour being six miles away and the only access through a dense, trackless wild, guided only by blazed trees and such landmarks as are best know to frontiersmen. The discomforts of the settler’s huts, the clearing of the forest, chopping of trees, grubbing of the soil, pulling of roots to burn, hauling of logs long distances to be cut into timber or boards, breaking of the root laden soil. Digging ditches, building fences, plowing, harrowing, sowing, reaping, threshing by hand, herding of cattle in the woods, the fear of wild animals, the total absence of social privileges, of medical attendance in sickness, of schools, of friendly intercourse, of church attendance, together with many other hardships and discomfort, to which must be added the severity of a semi arctic climate for six months of the year  --- these are things which must be borne by the early settles of  a Canadian forest country. To show that the danger from wild animals was not imaginary, the writer has heard the person under notice speak of the frequent near presence of wolves in the forest adjacent to their house, and upon more than one occasion he was driven in by them while herding cattle. On one occasion a wood chopper in their employ was killed by these brutes; his remains were found the next day, he axe buried and fastened in the skull of one of them, three having been killed before he himself was overcome. The nearest grist mill seems to have been at Freleighsburgh, some thirty miles away, to which Mr. T. made various pilgrimages o the back of an old horse, with such grain as could be carried. From his own record we cannot find that his family were able to render him any assistance in his preparation for the ministry.

Teaching and study went on together until the year 1815 at which time he was ordained Deacon. He was first introduced to his parishioner of St. George by the Rev DR Stewart in a school house at which time and place he preached his first sermon to them. The church, known as St. George’s Church of Clarenceville was built under the direction of Mr. Townsend, who contributed largely towards its construction , and was also materially assisted by funds collected in England through Bishop Stewart. This church was built  in or about the year 1818 and was a crown rectory. The churches of St. Thomas and Henryville were afterwards built, the former first on the third concession, afterwards in the northerly part of the parish, near Derick’s Corners, where now a very pretty edifice stands as one of the monuments of Mr. Townsend’s work.

The  Church at Henryville , in which he was assisted in building by Rev E DuVernet, has long since ceased to be used, for the simple reason that the congregation have departed , some  the way of all flesh, and some by purchase and removal, until scarcely a Church of England member lives within the limits of the parish.

Mr. Townsend purchased a farm a third of a mile to the north of the village of Clarenceville and built himself a house and rectory about the year 1820. The timbers and lumber for the construction of the house were brought in a raft from Swanton VT, through Lake Champlain and the River Richelieu, to a point on South River, about two miles from the house. It speaks well for its construction (wood) when we say at the time of writing 1891, the building in still in good repair and use. This farm comprised about 120 acres, besides a wood lot of 50  acres to the south of the village. The farm is now owned by Mr. Uriah Chilton.

As before stated Mr. Townsend was ordained Deacon 7th May 1815, and admitted to the priesthood 21st January  1816. This rectory of Clarencevill was created by letters patent and presented to the Rev Micajah Townsend as first rector, on the 10th day of May 1822. Through the English Gouvernment, Mr. Townsend held the appointment of chaplain to the forces at Isle aux Noix, a fort on an island of the same name, in the River Richelieu, about six miles from Clarenceville. For performing the duties of this office he received from the army fund a yearly allowance of four hundred dollars and from that most estimable English society " The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel" he received four hundred dollars per annum more, which he  regularly enjoyed till the time of his death in 1871. His term on ministry over these parishes extended over fifty six years, but it was not until the advent of an assistant minister or subsequent rector that the parishioners were called upon to contribute towards the preaching of the gospel, as his sole stipend consisted of eight hundred dollars from the sources mentioned before.  The rearing and education of a large family, often augmented in numbers by children of relatives unable to acquire a proper education, open hospitality to all who might come, and a liberal contribution to all public objects, was a drain upon the limited private exchequer which only the most skillful financeering could accomplish.

Soon after settling in  Clarenceville he was joined by his parent from Farnham, who continued with him till the time of their death. His mother , Mary Wells, died 27th June 1831, and his father Micah Townsend , died April 28th 1832. Micajah Townsend was first married on the 19th March 1823 to Anne Elisabeth Davidson, one the three beautiful daughters of  Dr., Davidson, of Plattsburgh NY. These girls, one of whom died at seventeen and one younger, were singularly gifted in beauties of mind and person, their compositions both in prose and poetry, being widely known and admired. We believe the poetic genius of the second daughter Lucretia, together with he manifold charms, first won the love of Mr. Townsend, but this seems to have been soon after transferred to Anne Elizabeth, whom he subsequently married. Judging from her portrait, she was very beautiful , which opinion is fully confirmed by those who knew her. Unfortunately she inherited the seed of that dread malady which carried off her tow younger sisters, consumption.

After eleven years of happy married life she died at Clarenceville Que. April 1834. Their children were Morris Miller, Frances Lupton and Micajah (jr.)   -—   the two later died in early childhood. Some time after the death of his wife, and while visiting the family of Dr., Davidson, in Plattsburgh, Mr. Townsend first met his second wife, Sarah Kellogg Nash, daughter of  Ebenezer Nash , (Junr) of Ellington Conn. She was born 8th April 1805. They were married from the house of the Rev. Sylvester Nash, then rector of St. Alban’s Vt., over whose home Miss Nash for some years presided, after the death of Mr. Nash’s wife. The marriage took place on the 6th July 1836. Miss Nash had for two years previous to her marriage held a very good position as teacher in a school at Plattsburgh, living in the family of Mr. Lynide.

During the  Rebellion of 1836-7-8, Mr. Townsend took no part in the struggle  -- his was a mission of peace , not war: but after the war closed he was most persistent and energetic in his appeals to the Gouvernment for recompense for certain poor farmers who had suffered from fire and sword along the American frontier by raids from across the line. He was quite successful in getting the Gouvernment to acknowledge and make good their losses. In appreciation of his valuable services the recipients presented him with quite a number of articles of silver plate, still in the possession of the family. He was instrumental in the building of the Academy at Clarenceville, and until very late in life was chairman of the Board of Directors. After the first restoration of the Church of St. George he presented and placed in the chancel of that church a very handsome stained window at his own expense. The colouring of this window is beautifully rich, and has been much admired. During the early settlement of these parishes Mr. Townsend transacted and prepared all rare occurrence when the violence of the storm, even with low temperature, prevented him from keeping his appointment  with his people. Fond of his home and the local and domestic ties which had grown up around him he could not be prevailed upon to enter city life  -- so attractive from a worldly point of view. His house which he had built trees all of which he had planted with his own hands, grounds which he had laid out and beautified; a people to whom he had performed all the scared offices of the ministry and among  whom ha had lived so long, formed links too strong  to be easily broken. He preferred to remain among know and tried friends and surrounding till the last. During his ministry he was aided in a marked manner by the comfort, counsel and advise of his wife, who was a lady of great energy and ability. She was possessed of keen perceptive faculties, an unbounded sense of duty and was an accomplished manager of domestic and household matters. She was a woman of strong literary and poetic taste, combining with this a remarkable amount of common sense. Hers was a life of deep persona piety and strong abiding faith in the promises of God’s Word .

She was greatly given to hospitality and though for many years a sufferer and more or less of an invalid, she laboured on and on for her children, her household, her neighbours and parishioners; "other not self" was here motto of life. She loved the beautiful  in nature, and the rectory garden, so much admired, was her special care and delight. Many person drove long distances to see this garden if only in passing. After a life of intense usefulness, self sacrifice and devotion to those around her, she passed away on the 18th December 1875 at Herkimer NY at the Rectory, where she had been for some months previous. Her daughters, Helen and Harriet (Mrs. Morrison) were privileged to minister to he till the last. She was buried at Clarencevill beside her husband. After the lapse of many years her memory remains bright and more beautiful.

n " Her children shall rise up and call her blessed"-

Micajah Townsend , son of Micah Townsend Esq. of Brattlesboro Vermont, was born 22nd January 1789. He died at Clarenceville, Que  Canada, the 17th January 1871, aged 82. He married (first) 19th March 1823 Anne Elizabeth Davidson, daughter of Dr. Davidson of Platsburgh NY. She was born Feb 18th 1806. Died at Clarenceville , Lower Canada ( Canada East) April 19th 1834. He married (second) July 6th 1836, Sarah Kellogg Nash, daughter of Ebenezer Nash Junr Esq of Ellington Conn. There were married at St Alban’s VT, from the house of her brother, the Rev. Sylverster Nash. She was born 8th April 1805. Died at Herkimer NY, 18th December 1875  aged 69, Buried at Clarenceville Que, Canada.

Their Children

Morris Miller  Born 24th March 1825 Clarenceville, CE 
                      residing at Frostburgh Maryland

Frances Lupton Born March 5th 1827 
                           Died 23rd April 1832 at Clarenceville CE

Micajah (Jr) Born Nov 1st 1831
                     Died 8th Nov 1833 Clarenceville CE
Second marriage 

Heber  Born 15th April 1837
            Living at Hartford Conn

Hobart  Born 15th April 1837 
             Living at Cumberland, Maryland

Anne Eliza  Born 20 May 1840 , Married John Macfie
                    Living at Grand Haven Mich

Helen         Born 23 Oct 1842  Unmarried
                  Living at Ogdensburgh NY

Francis Micajah  Born 19th March 1845
                            Living at Oxton Birkenhead, England

Harriet Matilda  Born 2nd July 1848 , Married Rev. Dr. Morrison
                         Living at Ogdensburgh NY

Heber Townsend, son of Rev. Micajah Townsend and Sarah Kellogg Nash, was born in Clarenceville CE 15th April 1837: married Julia Carleton Smith at New Britian Conn , 31st July 1866. She was a daughter of Roswell and Maria King Smith. Mrs Townsend is  remarkable for her vocal attainments, having a voice of unusual purity and sweetness. He is by occupation a druggist and resides in Hartford Conn. No issue


Hobart Townsend, son of Rev. Micajah Townsend and Sarah Kellogg Nash was born at Clarenceville CE 15th April 1837 and was married 2nd October 1866 to Louise M Bissel of Balcour NY. She was born 20 December 1842. The y reside in Cumberland Marlyand.
No issue


Anne Eliza Townsend, daughter of the Rev. Micajah Townsend and Sarah Kellogg Nash, was born at Calrenceville, Quebec, the 20th May 1840. The was married the 29th May 1861 at St Groege’s Church, Clarenceville to John Macfie third son of the late Alexander Macfie Esq of Scotland and Missisquoi Bay CE. He was born the 11th April 1836. They reside in Grand Haven, Michigan, where he is  engaged in the lumber tade. Mr and Mrs Macfie were shipwrecked in the Straits of Belle Isle when  en route for England on the "S S  Canadain" ( a vessel owned by the Allan Line in which John Macfie of Scotland (uncle to John Macfie of this instant) had invested )  June 4th 1861, while on their wedding tour. They were landed at St John’s Newfoundland, ten days later, after much suffering and great privation in open boats among the icebergs. The ship struck submerged ice, and sank twenty minutes after the alarm was given. The passengers lost all of their effect - many of them rushed from their berths to the boats with the most scanty covering and no time to secure more of any kind. The last boat to leave the ship - with thirty six  occupants - was swamped in the vortex and all lost. The remaining passengers were taken to England by a following steamer.

In 1862 Mr. Macfie while shooting, had the misfortune to have the greater part of his right hand shot off.

A great calamity has again befallen him. While inspection a mill in Michigan in November 1892, his left hand came into contact with a circular saw and in an instant he was deprived of the larger part of that hand.

Mr Macfie is possessed of strong literary and artistic tastes and has taken a prominent position in the development of these branches in Grand Haven.


Robert Graham   Born at Clarenceville CE 8th April 1862

Mary Agnes       Born at Clarenceville CE 28th September 1863

Helen                 Born at Clarenceville 14th August 1865, died same day.

Robert Graham Macfie was  married the 3rd of August 1892 to Maude Boyden of Grand Haven Michigan where they now reside (1892) He is engaged with his father in the lumber trade.

Mary Agnes is unmarried, and is an artist of ability, having for a time had charge of the Art Department of the Akeley Institute for young ladies in Grand Haven Michigan.


Francis Micajah Townsend, son of Rev. Micajah Townsend and Sarah Kellogg Nash, was born at Clarenceville CE the 19th March  1845. He married (first) Alice Ellegood Du Vernet at St. George’S Church Clarenceville. 15th September 1874. The Rev. Canon Du Verent, her father, was a son of Captian Du Vernet, of the Royal Staff Corps, afterwards Quarter Master General of the Army in India. His mother was a sister of the late Chief Justice Parker of New Brunswick. He ( Canon DuVernet) was born in Ceylon about the year 1826. Graduated at King’s College Fredrickton NB and was Honorary Canon of the Cathedral of Montreal . He died at Parrsborro NS 3rd January 1889. Her ( Mrs Townsend) mother was Frances Eliza Ellegood. Of Fredricton NB She died at Lockport NS in the autumn of 1887 and with her husband (Rev. E.D.) was buried in the little churchyard beside the sea at Lockport NS, both having spent the evening of their lives with their  daughter Fanny ( Mrs. Gibbons)

Alice Ellegood DuVernet Townsend was born at the rectory, Henryville, CE 3rd September 1853. She died at 25 Beereford Road, Birkenhead, England 11th April 1885 and was buried in the Cemetery of Bidston Parish Church.

Mr Francis Townsend was married (secondly) to Florence Mary Crawford 31 August 1886, at the Church of St. James the Apostle Montreal, by the Rev Cannon Ellegood, her uncle. She was born at " Verdun House " Verdun near Montreal 18 Aug 1865.

John Crawford , her father was a son of Walter Crawford and Eliza Hayes of " Baillievey House" near Banbridge, County Down Ireland. He was born 26th February 1814  and with his family emigrated to Canada early in 1829. Both he and his father were keen sportsmen ; and he has long been considered the finest horsemen in Canada. For a score of years or more he had been the master and leader of the Montreal fox hounds, and their existence has often mainly depended upon him.

Margaret D Ellegood, her mother, was born in Fredericton NB and was a sister of Mrs. DuVernet. She and the first Mrs. Townsend were therefore cousins.

He resides in Birkenhead England.

For a short time in his early life Francis was in the Baldwin Locomotive Works, in Philadelphia. During the American War he was for two years in Maryland. He was engaged in civil engineering in 1863 on the railway from St. John’s to St . Albans’s Vt. In 1864 he passed through the first Military School in Quebec. The same autumn he went to California and Arizona for two years in connection with a mining enterprise. In 1867 he entered the railway service in Memphis Tennesse. In 1870 he was part owner and manager of a large glass works in Pittsburgh Pa.  In 1871-2-3 he was in Canada, promoting a railway scheme. In 1873 he entered the cotton trade , first in St Louis, afterwards in Memphis Tennesse and elsewhere. After numerous trips to England he moved there permanently in 1881 and became identified with the trade of Liverpool. ( a city in which the Macfie family had their very successful sugar refining operations)

In the summer of 1889, during his absence in America, he was elected Vice President of the Liverpool Cotton Association and in 1890 he was elected President. After  his year in office he was elected one of the Directors of the same Association and Chairman of the Trade and Finance Committees. In October 1892 he was elected Treasurer of the Association, which , it may not be out of place to remark, is the largest trade organization in Liverpool, having about one thousand Members and Associate Members. In 1892 he was elected to a seat on the Board of Management of the Mersey Dock Harbour Board, one of the largest corporate trusts in the world and whose vast estate is managed by a board of twenty four members.

Children - 1st marriage

Frank Ellegood  Born Clarenceville CE 6th July 1875 ,  died 18th Dec at Memphis Tenn

Frederick Lawrence , Born at Chambly canton CE 14 Dec 1880

2nd marriage

Alice Mary  Born 18th May 1887 Birkenhead England

Florence Helen Born 25th April 1890 at  Birkenhead England

Lilian Agnes  Born 3 Oct 1891 at Birkenhead England


Hariett  Matlida Townsend daughter of Rev. Micajah Twonsend and Sarah Kellogg Nash, was born at Clarenceville CE 2nd July 1848. She married Rev. J D Morrison, D.D.,LL.D. 1st June 1869 at St George’s Church Clarenceville CE. Dr Morrison was the son of Rev. John Mossison of Glasgow Scotland. He was born at  Waddington, St Lawrence County , NY 15th October 1844  and was educated at the Grammar School , Huntington Canada East. He enter McGill College in 1861 and  graduated with first rank honors, taking the Logan Gold Medal for natural sciences in 1865. He received the Degree of B.A. in 1865, M.A. in 1868 and LL.D. in course 1880. Hon Degree D.D.from Union College NY 1879, was ordained Deacon Diocese of Quebec 1869 and Priest, Diocese of Montreal 1870. He was given charge of  Magog and Hemmingford, Quebec in 1869, was called to the Rectorate of Christ Church , Herkimer NY in 1871, to the Rectorate of St John’s Church , Ogdensburgh NY 1875 ; appointed Examining Chaplain to the Bishop of Albany 1873; elected Arch Deacon of the Convention of Ogdensburgh 1881 and member of General Convention of the United States 1883, and succeeding years. They reside in Ogdensburgh. No issue.

[email protected]