Bogalusa Story by C. W. Goodyear. Copyright, 1950, By C. W. Goodyear. Privately Printed by Wm. J. Keller Inc. in Buffalo, New York

Back to McCLENDON (and related surnames) at Freepages
Back to Bogalusa, Washington Parish, Louisiana - History, Photos, and Links

Sign My Guestbook!


Overview (in German, Spanish, Italian, French and Portuguese)

Bogalusa Story by C. W. Goodyear (copyrighted 1950). This is Charles Waterhouse (C. W., II) GOODYEAR, Jr. (born: April 6, 1883; died: June 22, 1967 in Buffalo, NY; married Grace RUMSEY on June 2, 1908, divorced about 1935; and, then married Marion PERKINS Spaulding in May 1935.)

Several formats to choose from (photo version and non-photos versions): eBook (PC computers and Pocket PC) versions, web pages, documents, and actual images of pages.

This book is about ...

This 208 page book has been fully transcribed with all photos (88 images on 84 pages) and illustrations (1 illustration on 1 page) in the book as well as the actual images of all pages of text (123 pages). There is no index. Note: This book is still copyrighted. Thanks to David L. GOODYEAR (grandson to Charles Waterhouse GOODYEAR, the author) and his family for permission to post this wonderful book on the Web. When I'm done transcribing it, I will offer it to the Washington Parish Public Library to post on their web site. I will also "burn" several CDs for use at the library. I may convert this book to an e-Book format in the future, but again with the stipulation that it not be used for profit in any way. Transcription is copyrighted (© 2002) by me, "Pat," Patricia Darlene McClendon. It may not be reproduced in any way. Please contact me, Pat McClendon at for limited exceptions.

Back to Bogalusa, Washington Parish, Louisiana - History, Photos, and Links
Back to McCLENDON (and related surnames) at Freepages


Bogalusa Story


C. W. Goodyear

(This is Charles Waterhouse GOODYEAR, II.)


Privately Printed

Buffalo, New York

Copyright, 1950, By

C. W. Goodyear

Printed in the United States of America


Wm. J. Keller Inc.

Buffalo, New York

In Memory of

Ella Calkins Sullivan


Ella Conger Goodyear


As the recollections and research that went into this story got under way, it became obvious that there wasn't room for everything. It is admitted in all candor and without wishing to offend anyone that there have been omissions, particularly in mentioning all who have played important parts in the development of Bogalusa. The author has tried to relate only the facts and occurrences of the earlier days of the Magic City of the Deep South which seemed to be of general interest.

To those of the older generation who read the story, the happenings may seem like only yesterday. It is hoped that a sense of surprise and discovery will be given to the readers who are too young to remember the era.

Ce sont toujours les aventuriers qui font de grandes choses.

(They are always the adventurers who make large things.)

-- Montesquieu

Table of Contents

Be sure to see the listing of Photos and Illustrations, below, with their expanded descriptions.
If you find any errors in the transcription, please contact me,


Bogalusa Story in eBook format Jan. 18, 2003

  1. Bogalusa Story - eBook for PC desktops & laptops (PC version) tweaked for 800 by 600 screen resolution - PHOTO VERSION (2,692 KB)
    Bogalusa Story - eBook for PC desktops & laptops (PC version) tweaked for 1280 by 1024 screen resolution - PHOTO VERSION (2,788 KB)
    Bogalusa Story - eBook for PC desktops & laptops (PC version) tweaked for 1280 by 1024 screen resolution - PHOTO VERSION- LARGE PHOTOS (11,300 KB).

  2. Bogalusa Story - eBook for Pocket PCs (PPC version) - PHOTO VERSION (1,133 KB) or
    Bogalusa Story - eBook for Pocket PCs (PPC version) - NON-PHOTO VERSION - text only (219 KB). You may need this version if you have Pocket PC with less than 64K of memory or if you have used up most of your 64 MB.

You need to download the free Microsoft Reader to view it:

Microsoft Reader Features (Learn why you may want it. I've downloaded over 100 free titles, including many of the "classics.")
Microsoft Reader - Downloads at Microsoft Reader Home Page - Microsoft
Get the free Encarta® Pocket Dictionaries: English Pocket Dictionary and
4 bi-directional language dictionaries: English to
French, German, Italian, and Spanish and vice versa.

Microsoft Reader - Downloads and Microsoft Reader HELP at Barnes & Nobles - Microsoft Reader eBooks

Microsoft Reader - Downloads at - Free eBooks and eBooks

Back to Table of Contents

PHOTO VERSIONs - web pages and documents

Transcribed text (searchable, with photos and illustrations):

The photo version will take a long time to load and may "time out" (stop loading text or images).
Click on your Web browser's "reload" until all images have loaded.

Pick your format for this 208-page book:

For the first 3 formats created as Web pages, you can increase or decrease the font size.
Look at your Web browser's menu bar --> Click on these items: "View" --> "Text Size" --> select the size font from "Largest to Smallest."

  1. Bogalusa Story - web page -- quickest loading (with all photos) Smallest images. Print out this page, or better yet, print out the text only version listed below in the "NON-PHOTO VERSIONs" section. I used this web page to make the eBook for Pocket PCs listed in the section above. Look at your Web browser's menu bar --> Click on these items: "View" --> "Text Size" --> select the size font from "Largest to Smallest"

  2. Bogalusa Story - web page -- quick loading (with all photos) Smaller images. Print out this page (not the next one down), or better yet, print out the text only version listed below in the "NON-PHOTO VERSIONs" section. I used this web page to make the eBook for PCs (desktops & laptops) listed in the section above.

  3. Bogalusa Story - web page -- slowest (with all photos) Largest images. Note: You don't want to print out this page because it will take a lot of ink! Click on these large images to see still larger images of them. If the images do not show because the server has "timed out" (due to too many images with large file size), you can either "reload" or "refresh" the page until all images are loaded, OR, "right click" on the images and select "Show Picture."

For the next 2 formats created using Microsoft Word, you can increase or decrease the font size if you are viewing it through your browser, rather than your Word program. Look at your Web/Document browser's menu bar --> Click on these items: "View" --> "Zoom" --> select the size font by clicking on the "radio button" from "200% to 75%" or type in the the "Percent" you want, like 150, then hit your keyboard's "Enter" key or clicking on the "OK" button.

  1. Bogalusa Story - Microsoft Word 97/2002 document format, .doc (with all photos)

  2. Bogalusa Story - Microsoft Rich Text Format, .rtf (with all photos)

or by the Chapter Number

, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII, XIX, XX, and XXI (in progress)

Back to Table of Contents

 NON-PHOTO VERSIONs - web pages and documents

Transcribed text (searchable, without photos and illustrations):

The text versions of the Bogalusa Story will load quicker and therefore save ink when you print them out.
(I still need someone to proof-read my work!)

Pick your format for this 208-page book:

For the first 2 format created as Web pages or Plain ASCII text, you can increase or decrease the font size.
Look at your Web browser's menu bar --> Click on these items: "View" --> "Text Size" --> select the size font from "Largest to Smallest."

  1. Bogalusa Story - web page (without photos)

  2. Bogalusa Story - Plain ASCII text file (without photos)

For the next  format created using Microsoft Word, you can increase or decrease the font size if you are viewing it through your browser, rather than your Word program. Look at your Web/Document browser's menu bar --> Click on these items: "View" --> "Zoom" --> select the size font by clicking on the "radio button" from "200% to 75%" or type in the the "Percent" you want, like 150, then hit your keyboard's "Enter" key or clicking on the "OK" button.

  1. Bogalusa Story - Word 6.0/95 Document (without photos)

Back to Table of Contents


Images of actual page of text (not searchable) are listed
(especially if you need to check the transcription) here:

Page Number: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36,
37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 46, 47, 49, 50, 51, 52, 54, 59, 60, 61, 63, 65, 69, 71, 73, 74, 75, 76,
78, 81, 82, 83, 85, 87, 89, 91, 94, 98, 99, 103, 104, 105, 107, 108, 113, 115, 116, 117, 122, 123,
126, 127, 129, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 138, 140, 141, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150,
151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 159, 160, 161, 163, 168, 169, 171, 173, 175, 176, 177, 182, 183,
184, 185, 186, 187, 189, 190, 192, 193, 202, 203, 204, 205, 208.

Back to Table of Contents


Photos and Illustrations

Note: These thumbnail images link to larger images which are 100 dpi jpg format.
They are in "Standard" sub format (4:2:2); 20% compression; 20% smoothing.
Larger images will be available, later.

Description of Photos or Illustrations
Click on Thumbnail to see a larger version of the image.


Page Number
Bogalusa Story - Cover of book -
Old French Map on the inside covers of book -
Washington Parish Courthouse

(in Franklinton)

"A man indicted for a misdemeanor burned the courthouse to the ground in 1897 so that any evidence against him would be destroyed. At that time all written court proceedings dating back to 1826 were destroyed ..."

Natives of Washington Parish 8
Fielding and Nick: some of the Adams family 10
Professor Young and his pupils in front of Lee's Creek schoolhouse. Professor Young (in doorway) followed Eugene Bunch as schoolteacher

"Washington Parish even had its own Jesse James. His name was Eugene Bunch. He was a schoolteacher whose avocation was train-robbing. Those who knew Bunch remember him as a soft-spoken man with a large black mustache, blue eyes, and the manners of an educated gentleman. Except for the two months when he taught children who came from far and wide on foot or horseback, he followed sporadically the more lucrative profession of holding up trains. His double life was a secret well kept, and he was the terror of crews and passengers on trains between the deep South and the North.
    Ostensibly for the purpose of living near the school at Lee's Creek, the quiet-mannered schoolteacher stayed much of the time at the home of one Leon Pounds at Walnut Bluff on the Pearl River. Actually, the Pounds' home was one of his more convenient hideouts. He could slip across Pearl River on the ferry at Poole's Bluff, or in his own dugout, and be back before daylight after gathering his loot.
    During the winter of 1892, the stage was set for one of Bunch's big hauls. A southbound train on the New Orleans Northeastern Railroad with several passengers and a shipment of currency bound for New Orleans was scheduled to stop near McNeil, Mississippi, at a certain hour. When it did, Bunch was there, alone, to climb aboard. The armed mail and express agents were relieved of their pistols and as many sacks of money as Bunch could conveniently carry away. The crew and passengers were then lined up outside for the holdup. As this fabulous schoolteacher-train robber went through their pockets, he unwittingly dropped a scrap of paper which a passenger hastily pressed into the mud with his heel. Bunch slipped away into the darkness toward the Pearl River swamplands, but his identity at last had been revealed. On the paper he had dropped was written the time of arrival of the train at McNeil and the names of Bunch and Leon Pounds. As he took inventory of the loot in his hideout, Bunch became aware of the missing slip of paper. Taking no chances, he fled to a more remote hideout.
    In a few days, notices offering a $3,000 reward for Bunch, dead or alive, were posted in the towns of northern Louisiana and Mississippi. The $3,000 was too tempting an offer for one of Bunch's accomplices, Colonel Hapgood, who shot the schoolteaching bandit in the back as he slept on a bed of pine needles in Muster Ground Swamp. Thus ended Bunch's spectacular career, in the damp darkness of a December night in 1892. ..."

Judge Joe Ard’s home

Joe Ard was "justice of the peace in the 1890's."

Mrs. J. M. McGehee in front of her Washington Parish home near Ben's Ford where she lived for over fifty years.

Her husband was Reverend W. F. McGehee? and her daughter was Mrs. Y. R. Nichols?

Entrance to Preacher Ford's home

"One of the earliest of these old homes still stands near Bogue Lusa Creek. It was built in 1805 by a Baptist preacher named Ford who migrated from South Carolina to preach the Gospel and till the fertile river-bottom land. He found so few who subscribed to religion that he was not long convincing himself that he could best serve the Lord by farming his plantation, for he was an enterprising man. With the help of slaves he raised sugar cane, cotton, and corn. His huge pine logs were hauled to nearby Pearl River and floated many miles to a sawmill. Ford's descendants still occupy the home he built.
    It was in this house that General Andrew Jackson stayed for two weeks in 1814 when his troops were delayed by floodwaters during their march to New Orleans to engage the British. Jackson was at first an unwelcome guest in the Ford home and was permitted to stay only on the condition that he abstain from profanity and seek the help of the Lord in saving his soul."

Preacher Ford's home - Mrs. Willie Rankin, a direct descendant, stands on the gallery. 23
Bedroom of Preacher Ford's house where Andrew Jackson slept.

"It was in this house that General Andrew Jackson stayed for two weeks in 1814 when his troops were delayed by floodwaters during their march to New Orleans to engage the British. Jackson was at first an unwelcome guest in the Ford home and was permitted to stay only on the condition that he abstain from profanity and seek the help of the Lord in saving his soul.
    In its early days, Washington Parish was unfriendly to all strangers, looking suspiciously upon them as "furriners." When General Jackson and his men crossed Bogue Lusa Creek at Ben's Ford, in the War of 1812, parish settlers kept their guns loaded. There was watchful waiting until the din of marching troops faded away in the distance. Then, as their suspicions melted away, some of the natives themselves joined Jackson's troops at Madisonville on Lake Pontchartrain in time to cross with him by packet boat to New Orleans.
    This reserve of the natives gave way slightly as travelers were more frequently seen in the parish countryside. Peddlers on foot and in one-horse buggies came to sell their wares, and their footsteps could be traced by the lightning rods, sewing machines, and ornate household articles never before dreamed of that appeared in the natives' homes. Traveling merchants later had stores of their own in the villages of the parish. The names of their sons and grandsons now are emblazoned in neon signs across the fronts of large stores."

Uncle Jimmy Whalen in a forest of longleaf yellow pine

Jim WHALEN was a timber cruisers.

"His shock of auburn hair, his handsome weatherbeaten face, and his Gaelic accent soon became familiar to the natives in the parish which was to be home to him for the rest of his life. Until then, wherever he had hung his hat had been home to Jim Whalen. For years, he had been associated with J. D. Lacey & Company, timber estimators and agents who had been engaged to purchase extensive timberlands for Northern capitalists. Such a project was a large undertaking, and Jim Whalen as chief estimator helped set the stage for what was to be a successful business venture."

Tom Pigott in 1946 at the age of seventy-six

"One of Jim Whalen's companions in his Louisiana timber-cruising days was Tom Pigott, a man who, as Jim would say, "could locate a section corner like a bird dog spots a covey of quail." Jim could estimate the log scale of timber in a well-defined area without any help, but it required a native son of the Louisiana soil with surveying experience to locate the many tracts of timberland that had been purchased by the Northerners. That was a large order to fill and Tom Pigott is the man who filled it.

The Le Roy Pearce family

Le Roy PEARCE, wife, Julie, and daughter, Barbara. Barbara PEARCE married her husband Ed KEATON.

"Not a few were adamant in declining to sell their holdings, and a spring day in 1905 found Mr. Lacey back in Washington Parish trying to buy land he needed from owners who had refused to sell on his previous visits. One who caused him the most concern was shrewd Le Roy Pearce. The fact that his acreage was surrounded by land Lacey already had bought put Pearce in a favorable trading position. Both of them knew it. ..."

Mr. and Mrs. Fielding Adams

(Mrs. Fielding Adams is Julia Josephine Adams)

F. H. Goodyear and C. W. Goodyear

Frank Henry GOODYEAR (born: March 17, 1849 in Groton, Tompkins County, New York - near Cortland, Cortland County, New York - died: May 13,1907 in Buffalo, New York of Bright's disease) married Josephine LOONEY (born: May 25, 1851 in Looneyville (now near Wende), New York - died: October 17, 1915 in Buffalo, NY at a train station) on September 13, 1871 in Looneyville, NY. She was the daughter of Robert LOONEY and Josephine Lurintha KIDDER Looney.

Charles Waterhouse GOODYEAR, married "Ella," Ellen Portia CONGER.

Larger versions:

Charles and Ella Goodyear

Charles Waterhouse GOODYEAR, I (born: Oct. 15, 1846 in Cortland, Cortland County, New York - died: April 16, 1911 in Buffalo, New York) married Ellen Portia CONGER (born: August 30 or 31, 1853 in Collins Centre, New York - died: September 29, 1940 in Buffalo, New York) on March 23, 1876.

Larger versions:

Ella gave birth to three sons and a daughter

Charles and Ella Goodyear had 4 children:

1.) Anson Conger (A. C.) GOODYEAR (born: June 20, 1877; married on: June 29, 1905 to: Mary FOREMAN)

2.) Esther Permelia GOODYEAR (born: May 20, 1881; married on: January 20, 1910 to: Arnold B. WATSON)

3.) Charles Waterhouse (C. W., II) GOODYEAR, Jr. (born: April 6, 1883; died: June 22, 1967 in Buffalo, NY; married on: June 2, 1908 to: Grace RUMSEY, divorced about 1935; then married Marion PERKINS Spaulding in May 1935.)

4.) Bradley GOODYEAR (born: October 18, 1885; married on: June 23, 1910 to: Jeanette BISSELL)

World War I: Charley, Conger, and Bailey

Bradley GOODYEAR's son, "Bradley Goodyear, Jr. (not pictured), gave his life as a combat pilot in World War II."

The left wing of this hospital, in Austin, Pa., was the home where Ella and the children spent several summers. 57
The Goodyear sawmill in Austin, Pennsylvania 58
Ella in one of the dresses that she wore when she and Charles were guests of President and Mrs. Grover Cleveland in the White House.

"In 1871, when he (Charles GOODYEAR) was twenty-six years old, he was admitted to the bar in New York State and hung out his own shingle. From the start of his career he attracted attention as a young lawyer, and later succeeded Grover Cleveland as a senior partner in Buffalo's leading law firm when Cleveland gave up his practice to enter politics. .. His close friendship with Grover Cleveland also was an incentive to a growing interest in politics. ... He played an important role in the nomination and the election of Grover Cleveland as Governor of New York State. ..."

Esther at one of the Country Club horse shows

"Esther (Permelia GOODYEAR) attended schools in Maryland, Bryn Mawr, and Paris. In France she took lessons from a famous driving and riding master, and after her return to Buffalo always was in the ribbons at the Country Club horse shows. She was a striking figure in her smart cabriolet drawn by a perfectly matched pair of high-stepping hackneys and with a footman in the rumble seat."

The Charles Goodyear home in "Millionaire's Row," 888 Delaware Avenue

This house in Buffalo, New York was completed in the fall of 1903.

The terrace was a favorite place of Madam Goodyear's

(in Buffalo, New York)

The stable at 888 Delaware Avenue

(in Buffalo, New York)

"A well-appointed stable which was built at the same time as the new Delaware Avenue residence was short-lived. It was soon razed and the foundation left for the walls of a sunken garden. The string of driving and saddle horses, the patent-leather monogrammed harnesses, the glistening array of carriages and sleighs all were disposed of to make way for automobiles of early vintage."

"Andrew, the faithful family coachman, reluctantly stepped down from the driver's box of the piquant victoria with its calash top. Instead of holding the reins and a silver-mounted whip behind a pair of spirited horses as he drove Madam Goodyear on an afternoon ride through the Park, Andrew became the chauffeur of a two-cylinder automobile. But he never could accustom himself to the odor of gasoline and preferred the aroma of sweating horses. James, the footman for many years, donned blue jeans instead of shining top boots and cream-white buckskin breeches when he was demoted ignominiously to the position of houseman."

One hundred and ninety-five years of faithful service

"Ella treated the fifteen servants in her ménage almost like members of the family. Traditionally, they all came on Christmas day and received gifts after a buffet supper. When she died at the age of eighty-seven, six of Ella's servants had to their credit a total of one hundred and ninety-five years of faithful service."

Names: "Pearl, who was a faithful servant of the Goodyears for many years, had a delicious dinner ready for the two men;." "Andrew, the faithful family coachman became the chauffeur of a two-cylinder automobile; ..."

The family tree continued to spread its branches.

Descendants of Charles Waterhouse GOODYEAR and Ellen Portia CONGER. See details of families' crests.


Frank Henry GOODYEAR and Charles Waterhouse GOODYEAR's parents were (Jabez) Bradley GOODYEAR (a country doctor) and his wife, Esther Permelia KINNE Goodyear.

Top Left:

Top Right:

Bottom Left:

Bottom Right:

Colony of tents on Bogue Lusa Creek

    "By February, 1906, five months after the Goodyear party had first camped along Bogue Lusa Creek, contracts had been let for the sawmill buildings and machinery and for the excavation of the 27-acre log pond. Competitive bids had been scanned and orders placed for such miscellaneous items as locomotives, logging cars, rails, skidders, and a portable sawmill.
    Will Sullivan, champing at the bit, was ready to return to Washington Parish a month earlier than he had promised Le Roy Pearce he would be back. Driving up from Covington over much the same route that he had traveled the previous September, Will reached Bogue Lusa Creek before nightfall and here on the same site where he had camped with the Goodyear brothers he lived in a tent for several months.
    With carpenters, such as they were, recruited from Franklinton and the countryside, a colony of tents with wooden floors was erected almost overnight. A crude frame building for a mess hall, kitchen, office, and a few bedrooms was the first to go up on the new townsite. Appropriately enough, it was called the Magnolia Hotel. A magnolia tree had been left standing on the site of the building to continue its growth through the roof of the mess hall."

(about 1905-6)

Blarney Castle was later used for a restaurant.

(Blarney Castle Restaurant, Geo. M. Gallaher, Prop.)

"The first buildings to go up were crude shacks to house the workmen who were being recruited as fast as living quarters were made available. There was also a two-story office building of rough-sawed boards and battens with a dormitory on the second floor for Sullivan, the office force, and the civil engineers. A sign over its entrance, "Blarney Castle," gave it an ironic distinction. Temporary storage sheds for machinery, equipment, and materials; a boarding house; a mule barn and corral; and even a jail mushroomed into being."

 (about 1906)

The first Company commissary

(about 1906)

Top: Otto Strattman, corral boss and deputy sheriff
Bottom: Deputy sheriffs Mizell, Magee, and Pearce

"Among other deputy sheriffs who were on Bogalusa's police force were Tom Mizell, Avarice Pearce, and Jake Broomfield before he took up dentistry as a profession. Otto Strattman, lanky, raw-boned corral boss, was deputized to handle trouble with the mule skinners. This generally happened on pay day over a crap game. Nick Catalano, a stocky Italian, was on the police force to quell any disturbances among his countrymen who had settled in Bogalusa. ..."

Larger versions:

Crossing Bogue Chitto River

"The Parish of Washington was the cradle of Protestant religion in Louisiana. It was in the Half Moon Bluff Baptist Church, built of logs on Bogue Chitto River in 1812, that "the first message of salvation through our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, was brought to the souls in the darkness of Washington Parish." From the beginning, the church had a struggle for its very existence. One of its earliest parsons, the Reverend B. E. Chaney, was arrested and confined in a prison cell until he promised to cease preaching the Gospel.
    At a crescent-shaped bend of Bogue Chitto River there is today a stone marker on the site of the Half Moon Bluff Baptist Church, long since destroyed by the ravages of time and neglect. Country folks from far and wide listened to the address of the Reverend Doctor John Henry Smith as he officiated at the ceremony when this simple memorial was dedicated. When Doctor Smith said during his talk, "So this afternoon we want to look back to the days of our Baptist fathers to see from whence and how far we have come," the brethren from the settlement along the eastern waters of Bogue Lusa Creek realized that the spirituality which their community church at Lee's Creek had slowly spread among their homes was born many decades ago in the Half Moon Bluff Baptist Church.

"There were young men in the organization, like H. J. Foil, who were native sons of Washington Parish. Better known as Booger, Foil was a country boy born on a farm near Franklinton, not far from the headright where his greatgrandfather (sic) had settled along Bogue Chitto River in 1844. Booger rose to the important position of purchasing agent. When Foil was a candidate for president of the police jury of Washington Parish, he was elected by a large majority."

Closeup: 86
The first passenger train arrives in Bogalusa.

(about 1906)

The office force on the steps of the Colonial Hotel

Colonial Hotel had been built for single employees. (about 1906?)

Portable sawmill

The portable sawmill was used to build Bogalusa's early buildings and later "to manufacture lumber from timber on the  plantation when it was needed for new construction and repairs" at the Money Hill Tung Plantation.

Logging timber blown down by tornado

"George Hart, a friend of (Jack) Cassidy's when he was a lumberjack working for the Goodyears in Pennsylvania, was put in charge of logging with ox teams the scattered areas of timber and the trees that had been blown down by tornadoes."

Pine Tree Inn

    "The Directors and many of the visitors stayed that night at the Pine Tree Inn, which had been opened a few weeks before the sawmill started. As the guests gathered that evening in the lobby of the hotel, there was a hum of conversation, and it was mostly talk of the mill and the town. Few could comprehend what had come to pass; that Bogalusa, with hundreds of modern buildings, had sprung from what, less than three years ago, had been a wilderness.
    Gus Coughlin, who had been maître d´hôtel of a well-known hotel in New York City and who had been in charge of a famous golf club in South Carolina, was engaged to manage the Pine Tree Inn. He was given carte blanche to run the Inn the way he had been accustomed to in catering to a discriminating clientele. The meals were delicious, served by uniformed waiters. A gracious colored headwaiter greeted the guests as they entered the dining room. The principle underlying the operation of the Inn was that the best way to reach a man's pocketbook, as well as his heart, was through his stomach.
    The executives of the Company well knew that the Inn could not be run profitably on such an extravagant basis. But its operating loss was more than justified as a selling and advertising expense in putting BOGALUSA BRAND lumber on the map. When purchasing agents for railroads, large industries, retail lumber yards, and exporters were in the market for sizable quantities of lumber, they invariably came to Bogalusa where there was a comfortable hotel, something seldom found in sawmill towns. They were impressed. It was a standing rule that salesmen coming to Bogalusa to solicit orders from the Great Southern Lumber Company for materials, machinery, and equipment could not be seen by heads of departments until the afternoon. This made it necessary for them to spend the night at the Inn, adding revenue and helping the advertising program. There are tricks in all trades."

(Construction was complete about 1908.)

Office building of the Great Southern Lumber Company

(Construction was complete about 1908.)

The home of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Sullivan on Bogue Lusa Creek 97
Log pond

(27-acre log pond)

Refuse burner, sawmill, and power house 101
One of the band mills and carriages in the sawmill 102
Bogalusa High School

(about 1914?)

Great Southern Lumber Company commissary

(Construction was complete about 1908.)

Columbia Street in the early days 110
Columbia Street twenty-five years later 111
The Company hospital

(Construction was complete about 1908.)

The Kingfish at the Washington Parish Fair. (Senator Huey P. Long)

(in 1910?)

Closeup: 114

Young Men's Christian Association in about 1914.


Young Women's Christian Association in about 1914.

The Directors made frequent trips to Bogalusa. The following appear in the picture:
Will Sullivan (1st Mayor of Bogalusa), Miner Crary, Maurice Wuescher, Ganson Depew, Horace Redfield, Orlo Hamlin, Fred Lehr, Jim Whelan, F. L. Peck, Mrs. Depew, Major Hart, Walter Cooke, Jerry Crary, Frank Goodyear, Charley Goodyear, Jack Cassidy (2nd Mayor of Bogalusa), and Dan Cushing.
An inspection trip to the logging operations. Among those appearing in the picture:
Will Sullivan (1st Mayor of Bogalusa), Charley Goodyear, George Townsend, Orlo Hamlin, Conger Goodyear, Frank Goodyear, Jack Cassidy (2nd Mayor of Bogalusa), Jack Trounce, and Cam Long.
City Hall 124
Will Sullivan (1st Mayor of Bogalusa) with Lee Fohl, manager of the St. Louis Browns 125
Michael J. McMahon

"Among the heads of departments there was none more conscientious and loyal than Michael J. McMahon. His long years of service with the Goodyears began in Pennsylvania and ended as Traffic Manager of their railroad and other enterprises in the South.
    Mac lived in New Orleans so that he could keep in close contact with the connecting lines over which approximately a hundred carloads of freight moved in and out of Bogalusa every day, but he made frequent trips to the Magic City. Handsome, personable, and always immaculately dressed, Mac was liked by everyone. He was a gentleman of the old school. For all this, he remained a bachelor throughout his life, much to the amazement of his friends.
    A few months before Mac died, he was the guest of honor at a sumptuous dinner in Conger's home on Long Island to celebrate his seventy-fifth birthday and the fiftieth anniversary of his association with the Goodyear enterprises. After many laudatory toasts, Mac was introduced as "the dean of our enterprises." He responded by recalling, nostalgically and humorously, happenings of the past.
    There had been that night out with the Goodyear boys. Mac remembered it and told about it at the dinner. After dining and wining too much and too well in New Orleans with Conger, Charley, and Bradley (GOODYEAR), he had returned to his apartment to find his sister, who had dropped in unexpectedly for a visit. But the greeting was not cordial.
    "Mac, you've been drinking," was her welcoming remark. "If the Goodyears hear about this, you'll lose your job!"

The Mother of Bogalusa

Elizabeth Fitzrandolph CALKINS Sullivan was married to W. H. ("Will," William Henry) SULLIVAN on October 4, 1886.

2 children:

Ella Rose SULLIVAN Salmen
William Henry, Jr.

William Henry Sullivan
August 9, 1864 in Canada - January 26, 1929

Elizabath Fitzrandolph CALKINS Sullivan
August 20, 1866 - July 11, 1918

Both are buried in a family plot at Ponemah Cemetery, Bogalusa, Washington Parish, Louisiana.

Pulp and paper mill in foreground. Sawmill in background. 136
Pulp and paper mill 137

Refuse burner at sawmill

Inscription reads:

DIED JULY 4, 1924




Closeup: 139
Ted Olmsted

"Young (Ted) Olmsted was the son of the late Marlin E. Olmsted, an original stockholder of Great Southern Lumber Company and its general counsel until his death. Ted was a Harvard man who had been an outstanding oarsman on the varsity crew, had been prominent at the University socially, and had taken postgraduate work at Oxford. Upon his return to the United States, he was well fitted scholastically and otherwise for a successful business career".

"Captain Williams told him that during the course of his conversation at the Executive Mansion, the Governor had mentioned being in the North not long ago and meeting a lawyer from Harrisburg, Marlin E. Olmsted, a power in Pennsylvania politics. Olmsted had told the Governor that he was attorney for interests in New York State and Pennsylvania who were going to spend huge sums of money developing eastern Louisiana along the Pearl River Valley."

Left to right: Betty Sullivan, Jack Cassidy, Bride,
Groom, Mrs. Martin, Fred Salmen

Bride: Ella Rose SALMEN, daughter of Fritz SALMEN of Slidell

Groom: Col. W. H. SULLIVAN (William Henry SULLIVAN) of Bogalusa, a Canadian by birth and an Irishman. Will was the 1st Mayor of Bogalusa.

Jack CASSIDY was the 2nd Mayor of Bogalusa.

The Photographers 158
Pine cones containing seeds for planting the nursery 162
Preparing the ground and planting the seed for slash-pine nursery

  "Within a short distance from Bogalusa, Great Southern owned a hundred thousand acres of cut-over lands. On each of these acres would be planted, by hand, a thousand seedlings. Experiments disclosed that slash pines produced cellulose as good or perhaps better for making paper than the long-leaf species. Besides they grew faster, a decided advantage. It was necessary, however, to obtain slash-pine seeds from other states, mostly Georgia, as the mother trees grew sparsely in Louisiana. Millions of seedlings were propagated each spring in nurseries. A year later they were transplanted to the stump lands.
    It seemed a simple enough process. When the seedlings grew into trees with diameters from six to eight inches, they were suitable for pulpwood. But there was much more to reforestation than that. It required the supervision of someone trained in a school of forestry. The man who did this job well for the Goodyears was Paul Garrison, a graduate of Michigan State and Iowa State Colleges, who entered the employ of the Great Southern Lumber Company in 1925. Under his guidance, the Company in the years that followed established the largest privately owned and hand-planted reforestation area in the world. A dependable, perpetual supply of pulpwood for a large paper mill seemed assured.
    To Jake Johnson should also go much of the credit for the success of the undertaking. He, with Red Batemen as chief forest ranger, had charge of the first experimental plantings of seedlings and rendered yeoman service in winning the natives over to the side of forest-fire protection and control."

Nursery with 7,000,000 pine seedlings 165
Seven-year-old slash pines grown from seedlings planted in 1924. 166
Picture taken in 1936 of slash pines which were hand planted with seedlings in 1924-1925. Paul M. Garrison, Chief Forester, stands in an area where 7 cords of pulpwood to the acre have been thinned, leaving 27 cords to the acre.   167
One of the paper machines

"The estimate showed that there was currently and potentially enough pulpwood to operate indefinitely a paper mill with five or six times the capacity of the Bogalusa mill at that time.
    In the decade that followed the enactment of tax legislation favorable to reforestation, continuous additions and improvements were made that stepped up the output of pulp and paper in Bogalusa. Box factories and bag plants were built to convert into finished products the many millions of square feet of paper and board that rolled off six paper machines.
    Even when lumber operations finally ended in 1938, there no longer was any danger of Bogalusa becoming a ghost town. The number of workers in the sawmill whose employment ceased after the last log was cut was more than made up by the increase in the payroll of the paper mill running seven days a week with three shifts. So the population of the city continued to grow and prosper as a thousand cords of pulpwood rolled into the mill every day to be made into pulp and then converted into enough paper and board four feet wide to encircle the globe every ten days."

"There were capable men with responsible positions like Ivan Magnitsky, who came up through the ranks to become manager of the box plant and bag factory. The good work that Mack did for the welfare of the community was recognized by the citizens when he was later elected Mayor of Bogalusa."

(Ivan MAGNITSKY was the 3rd Mayor of Bogalusa.)

"There were men who had learned the know-how of paper making through the hard knocks of experience such as big, jovial Dick Murray and modest Fred Augustine. Dick was in charge of the pulp mill and Fred was responsible for the operation of the paper machines. The boss of them all was Alfred Suter, superintendent of the entire plant. A gentleman of the old school and popular with everyone, Suter had been hired by Will Sullivan not long after he came to this country from Switzerland. His technical education in Germany and his practical knowledge of papermaking qualified him to head such an organization, and his opinions were respected."

Dinner given in 1927 at Madam Goodyear's home in Buffalo to celebrate the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Great Southern Lumber Company and Conger's fiftieth birthday.

Clockwise around the table: Edward deCernea (hidden by centerpiece), W. E. Farris, C. M. Daniels, R. H. Laftman, A. B. Watson, W. M. Ogelsby, M. J. McMahon, J. McC. Mitchell, A. C. Goodyear, H. C. Laverack, R. H. Redfield, J. L. Kenefick, James How, M. E. Olmsted, Jr., Bradley Goodyear, O. J. Hamlin, Ganson Depew, W. H. Sullivan, C. W. Goodyear.

Jack Cassidy and family in front of his home

Jack CASSIDY was the 2nd Mayor of Bogalusa.

Four generations of the Goodyear family
(C.W.G.; C.W.G., II; C.W.G., III; and C.W.G., IV.)
Plaque reads:
Charles W. Goodyear
1846 - 1911
Left: Andrew T. Goodyear and Right: Mary A. Goodyear
King Bogue and Queen Lusa in their coronation robes at the Childrens (sic) Carnival.

Larger versions:

Home of Charles W. Goodyear, III, bordering the golf course 180
His father's house is less pretentious

(Charles W. Goodyear, II's house)

Money Hill Tung Plantation

(in St. Tammany Parish)

"DURING the world-wide economic difficulties beginning with the year 1929, the other kind of oil the Goodyears started to produce was an organic liquid processed from the fruit of trees and called tung oil. Like petroleum, tung oil has a history rich in mystery and adventure. Unlike petroleum, known so universally in the various forms of its refined products, the usages of tung oil and where it comes from are not of general information.
    There is nothing new about tung oil. In fact, it was produced long before the vast quantities of petroleum stored beneath the earth's surface were known even to exist. Its use in the Orient dates back at least to the Tang Dynasty, A.D. 618-907. It was mentioned in the writings of Marco Polo, who in the thirteenth century took word of it back to Venice from China during the rule of Kubla Khan.
    A strange and romantic product, tung oil for centuries was a secret of the Chinese and was produced mostly in the region of the Yangtse River where strangers were forbidden to enter. It has long had a multitude of uses...."

Donice Watts, herdsman

Donice WATTS was the herdsman for the Money Hill cattle venture in St. Tammany Parish.

The Tung Blossom Queen and her Court after the coronation. Tung trees in bloom in the background.

"There was also the coronation of the Tung Blossom Queen of Louisiana, Beatrice Core. Miss Core and her ladies in waiting were daughters of St. Tammany Parish farmers. Crowds of countryfolk gathered on an Easter Sunday for the royal ceremonies which took place on a raised platform surrounded by blooming tung trees where once had been a pine forest. After the coronation a truck with a loud speaker furnished music while the guests of Money Hill ate ice cream and drank Coca-Cola."

Tammany House

"Charley (GOODYEAR) had built a plantation house, known as Tammany House, on high ground overlooking tung orchards in every direction as far as the eye could see." (near "Money Hill" in St. Tammany Parish)

Living Room, Tammany House

(in St. Tammany Parish)

Registered palomino 197
F. O. (Red) Bateman

F. O. (Red) BATEMAN is standing next to a tung oil tree.

"Red Bateman, a native son of the parish and chief forest ranger for the Company... "

Melvin Williams and Dave Thompson

"Melvin Williams, also a native of St. Tammany Parish, was promoted from truck driver to plantation foreman."

Dave THOMPSON replaced Red BATEMAN's as chief forest ranger for the Company after Red untimely death. "Dave was born and reared on a farm that almost adjoins Money Hill." (in St. Tammany Parish)

"The third of the trio to whom should go much of the credit for the success of Bogalusa Tung Oil, Inc. is N. W. Pittman. Pitt, who first worked for the Goodyears in the Great Southern Lumber Company's logging camps, kept the books and ran the plantation general store."

Plantation House and General Store

(in St. Tammany Parish)

N. W. Pittman, bookkeeper and storekeeper

N. W. PITTMAN kept the books and ran the plantation general store. (in St. Tammany Parish)

Charles W. Goodyear Memorial Gateway 206
Bronze tablet on Memorial Gateway

It reads:


Back to Table of Contents

This image of an old French map was on the inside of the front and back covers of the book. I had to piece it together.

Old French map - Directly below the left-hand coat of arms is the site near Pearl River of what was to become Bogalusa. To see a larger version of this map (200 dpi), click on it.

Old French map
Directly below the left-hand coat
of arms is the site near Pearl
River of what was to become

R. aux perles = River with the Pearls; Pearl River = Fleuve De Perle
To see a larger version of this map (200 dpi), click on it.
Translation courtesy Google - Translate

Back to Table of Contents


This New Orleans Great Northern Railroad "Capital Stock" Certificate was owned by Frank Henry GOODYEAR (issued on July 24, 1917 and cashed in on April 21, 1920).

Frank Henry GOODYEAR (born: March 17, 1849 in Groton, Tompkins County, New York - near Cortland, Cortland County, New York - died: May 13,1907 in Buffalo, New York of Bright's disease - kidney disease). Walter P. COOKE, Trustee of his estate signed it.

"Walter P. Cooke, who had been general counsel of the Company (Great Southern Lumber Company) since the death of Marlin E. Olmsted, was elected to the position of chairman of the Board of Directors. Mr. Cooke, the leading citizen of his time in Buffalo (New York), had assumed the executive responsibility of guiding the Company's affairs during the war years. His wise counsel contributed much to the success of the business in the South." - p.132, Bogalusa Story

Frank Henry GOODYEAR was one of the founder of city of Bogalusa; Great Southern Lumber Company; New Orleans Great Northern Railroad; etc.

Frank Henry GOODYEAR married Josephine LOONEY (daughter of Robert LOONEY, a lumberman, had employed Frank as a $35 a month employee). Children: Grace Esther GOODYEAR Depew Potter; Josephine GOODYEAR Sicard; Florence GOODYEAR Wagner Daniels; and Frank Henry GOODYEAR, Jr.

Frank Henry GOODYEAR, Jr. (born: February 20, 1891 in Buffalo, NY - died in a car accident in Oct. 13, 1930 near Buffalo, NY) married Dorothy Virginia KNOX on October 23, 1915 in Buffalo, NY. Children: Dorothy Knox GOODYEAR Wyckoff; Frank Henry GOODYEAR, 3rd; Marjorie Knox GOODYEAR Bacon Wilson; Robert Millard GOODYEAR.

"The Goodyears left Sullivan to perfect the plans for the mill and prepare the requisitions for the vast amount of machinery, equipment, and materials so that inquiries could be sent out by Conger for competitive quotations. Frank and Charles, meanwhile, turned their attention to finances and to the plans for a city that was eventually to house 15,000 people.
    The bond issue for the railroad, which had been incorporated as a common carrier under the name of the New Orleans Great Northern Railroad Company, and the first-mortgage debentures for the Great Southern Lumber Company, were floated without difficulty. After this initial financing, neither company needed additional outside capital to carry on its business.
    Harvey Murdock, who had planned several real-estate developments on Long Island and in the environs of New York City, was engaged to draft plans for the city of Bogalusa. The idea of a lumber town being laid out systematically by a landscape architect was unheard of. Generally, such a town more nearly resembled a mining community in the West where the streets grew out of original wagon roads and cowpaths. But it was never the intention of the builders of Bogalusa to create what would become a ghost town after sawmill operations came to an end with the exhaustion of the timber supply.
    The plans for the city were studied carefully by the Goodyears, who suggested many changes, additions, and omissions in the preliminary sketches. The final draft of Murdock's map showed three residential areas; a business section; plots for public buildings, such as a city hall, a hospital, and schools; and several parks, the largest of which was to be called Goodyear Park.
    Bogue Lusa Creek divided the townsite. To the south of the creek, the Company proposed to build 850 homes to be rented to employees." - page 75, Bogalusa Story

Other source:

Goodyear Family History - Part III and IV by George F. Goodyear (Part III - 1976, Part IV - 1977, Privately Printed in Buffalo, NY). Part III and IV are in one bound volume.


A New Orleans Great Northern Railroad Company check dated Feb. 25, 1910 from their Accounting Department in Bogalusa, Louisiana to P. M. Halloran, Treasurer, Butte, Anaconda & Pacific Ry., Anaconda, Montana. It was signed by C. J. Wade, Auditor.  A sum of $1.50 was paid for "December Car-Service Balance." Check No. 4751 processed through First State Bank, Bogalusa, Louisiana.

Back to Table of Contents


Back to Table of Contents

Back to Bogalusa, Washington Parish, Louisiana - History, Photos, and Links
Back to McCLENDON (and related surnames) at Freepages

Transcription copyrighted © 2002 - 2005 by "Pat," Patricia Darlene McClendon

URL: Story/index.html

Lasted updated: Saturday, 08-Sep-2018 01:29:22 MDT

Back to Table of Contents