Maine regiments were engaged in so many battles or took such a prominent part in them as did the Fifth. It was a part of the famous Sixth Corps, and its list of engagements begins with the first Bull Run, includes the Peninsular Campaign, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Rappahannock Station, Spottsylvania, and Cold Harbor. Of the original one thousand and forty men who left the state with the regiment in 1861 only one hundred and ninety-three survived to be mustered out in 1864. In this regiment occurred the first death among the town's soldiers. Ambrose S. Dyer enlisted as second lieutenant but was soon promoted to first lieutenant and served in this capacity during the regiment's encampment in Portland but was taken sick almost immediately after their arrival in Washington, and returning to Yarmouth, died on the first of September, 1861. There were two other casualties among the men from town, Orrin L. Grant, second sergeant of Company H, who died at Mechanicsville on the fourth of June, 1862, and Sergeant Rufus P. Twombley who was killed in action on May 3, 1863, the second day at Chancellorsville.

In the Seventh Regiment were four men from Yarmouth, George L. Corliss and Benjamin Moody in Company B, and Edward Cobb and Charles W. Jones in Company G. Enlisted just after the exasperating defeat at Bull Run the Seventh had a gallant record, its first hard fighting being at Antietam where it lost in killed, wounded, and missing over one half of its men. Here, too, was mortally wounded Captain William L. Haskell from whom the local Grand Army Post takes its name. Captain Haskell was wounded in both knees on the seventeenth of September while serving as acting adjutant of his regiment. He was not removed from the field until three days after the battle when his friend Captain Jones of the same regiment took him to Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. There he was tenderly cared for in the dwelling of Mr. A. B. Hamilton, a kind-hearted gentleman of the place who opened his home to the sufferer and with his family nursed him, with hopes of his ultimate recovery, which, however, were doomed to disappointment, for on October seventeenth just one month from the day he received his wound he died.

Captain Haskell was a native of Poland, a graduate Bowdoin in the class of 1860, and at the time of his entering service was associate principal of Oak Grove Seminary, Vassal-boro. He had married Louisa Crooker of Yarmouth who with their daughter Willa had made her home in the town and to which the captain's body was returned and was given a military funeral on the twenty-seventh of October, a detachment of the Seventh being present.

The youth of Captain Haskell, he was only twenty-six years of age, and his gallant record caught the hearts of the people and at the organization of the Post it was given his name. The report of the adjutant-general of Maine for 1862, has a very flattering notice of his service, a tribute which we copy:

"During the past winter and spring [1862] Captain Haskell, then lieutenant, was detached from his company for staff duties at the headquarters of volunteer recruiting at Augusta. In this capacity he served most creditably and would have been returned to that position had he not presented an urgent request for leave to join his regiment at the earliest news of its participation in active and dangerous service on the peninsular. Although his praiseworthy sense cost him his life the legacy thus bequeathed his stricken relatives and friends and their remotest posterity will be more satisfactory and enduring than earthly possessions."

In the Ninth Maine Infantry seven men are credited to the quota of Yarmouth, all of whom are substitutes for citizens of the town. They were John Carroll, Patrick Clark, Charles H. Liv-ingstone in Company B; John B. Mullan and Michael Riordon in Company G; and James Stevens and George White in Company I.

The Tenth Maine, which has been considered a continuance and reorganization of the First, contained six men from Yarmouth: Henry H. Jones, Samuel W. LoveU, Samuel W. Small, Isaiah S. Stevens, and Eleazer E. Young in Company F, and James E. Mitchell in Company C. It was mustered in the first week in October, 1861, and saw much hard service, especially at Cedar Mountain and Antietam. At its discharge it was said that it had lost more men "by bullets" than any other regiment in the service

This information taken from William Hutchinson Rowe's "History of Old North Yarmouth and Yarmouth Maine 1636 to 1936." Adjutant-General's Report, 1862, p.148.

This information submitted by Commander Bob Bishop