Postcards from Richardson County Nebraska
Richardson County Nebraska: A Journey through it's Past

rulobridge.jpg (37221 bytes)

Rulo Bridge View I: Built 1938-39 by the Kansas City Bridge Company et al. The county opened bids on November 7, 1938. Of eleven proposals received, the board selected the joint venture of the Kansas City Bridge Company and the Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Company, low bidders at just under $6,000,000. In an effort to provide local employment during the Depression, the county required the contractors to hire Richardson County residents whenever possible. Construction soon commenced and continued steadily through the bridge's completion in November 1939. Thirty years later the states of Nebraska and Missouri assumed joint ownership of the Rulo Bridge. Today it carries U.S. Highway 159, free of tolls.

rulobridge1.jpg (40519 bytes)

Rulo Bridge View II


catholicch.jpg (21426 bytes)

Catholic Church, Falls City:  In 1870, the members of the Roman Church assisted by many citizens, who, while belonging to other denominations, were catholic, in the best and broadest sense of the word, erected a church building.

christianch.jpg (21380 bytes)

Christian Church, Falls City

christianch1.jpg (17504 bytes)

Christian Church, Falls City: In 1876 a lot was purchased and a church edifice commenced. On the completion of the church at a cost of $2,500, in June 1877, it was formerly dedicated by Rev. J. B. Briney, of Marysville, Kan.

evangelicalchu.jpg (18557 bytes)

Evangelical Church, Falls City

methodistch.jpg (14125 bytes)

Methodist Church, Falls City: The Methodist Episcopal Church of Falls City is the lineal descendant of the society organized at Archer in 1855 by Rev. David Hart, who was then traveling the circuit which embraced Richardson and part of what is now Pawnee County.

presbyterianch.jpg (24259 bytes)

Presbyterian Church, Falls City: The First Presbyterian Church of Falls City was organized in 1866, under the authority of the Highland Presbytery.

episcopalch.jpg (22310 bytes)

St. Thomas Church, Falls City: This church building was commenced in 1867, under the pastorate of Rev. Thomas H. Betts, and is capable of seating nearly three hundred and fifty.


cityhall.jpg (23334 bytes)

City Hall, Falls City

communityhall.jpg (25416 bytes)

Community Hall, Falls City

courthouse.jpg (30340 bytes)

Courthouse, Falls City-View I

courthouse1.jpg (27473 bytes)

Courthouse, Falls City-View II: On February 14, 1873, the Legislature passed an act enabling the precinct of Falls City to issue bonds for the building of a court house of stone and brick, not less than forty by seventy-five feet on the ground floor, nor more than forty-seven by eighty-five feet, and containing fire-proof vaults for the safe keeping of the county records.

courthouse2.jpg (27954 bytes)

Courthouse, Falls City-View III

courthouse3.jpg (49125 bytes)

Courthouse, Falls City-View IV

fallscitylibrary.jpg (35584 bytes)

Falls City Library

postoffice.jpg (19089 bytes)

Post Office, Falls City: The first post office was on Lot 21, in Block 70, near the public square, and none of the later places of holding the office have been more than a square from the same place. The second location was on Lot 22, in Block 68, the third in the old printing office where Tarpley & Co.'s store now stands, and the fourth in the store of Reavis & Cameron, Lot 12, in Block 9. Its subsequent locations have been in Judge J. J. Marvin's house, Lot 20, in Block 91; Lot 11, Block 58, and Lot 22, in Block 70, where it now occupies a small brick building of its own.


farmscene.jpg (6284 bytes)

Falls City Farm Scene, 1915

John Falter was born in Plattsmouth, Nebraska, in 1910. His family moved to Falls City in 1916, where his father established a clothing store. Many Saturday Evening Post covers did depict Falls City scenes, as the work of artist and illustrator John Falter, a Falls City native whose covers adorned more issues of the Post than those of any other artist except Norman Rockwell.
One of the favorites for Falls Cityans was the Christmas scene view of downtown Falls City in December of 1946, reproductions of which are in many local homes.

xmastime.jpg (54671 bytes)

Falls City at Christmas Time, Issue date 12/21/1946 Saturday Evening Post

loverslane.jpg (33531 bytes)

Lovers Lane, Falls City

steamengine.jpg (37969 bytes)

Steam Engine on the Missouri River 06/26/1946 Issue of Saturday Evening Post

watertower.jpg (5895 bytes)

Water Tower in Falls City 5/24/1947 Issue date  Saturday Evening Post


nimsbldg.jpg (31724 bytes)

Reuel Nims Store in Humboldt, built in 1867. The mercantile was the first store built in Humboldt.  In 1868 Mr. O. J. Tinker offered the firm the deed of ten acres of the new town on condition that they would build a store fronting the public square. Accepting the conditions, the Nims Brothers put up what is known to this day as the "stone store," on the southeast corner of Central street.

oldstore.jpg (64744 bytes)

Davies Jewelry Store, Falls City

farmersstbank_shubert1891.jpg (16767 bytes)

Farmers State Bank, Shubert, founded 1891

moreheadstbank_barada06-32.jpg (16723 bytes)

Morehead State Bank, Barada


campaign.jpg (16138 bytes)

Campaign of Theodore Roosevelt

parade.jpg (26307 bytes)

Parade through Falls City

salemfairgr.jpg (60846 bytes)

Salem Fairgrounds, 1911

stellaparade_1910.jpg (24856 bytes)

Stella Parade, 1910


fallscitypark.jpg (118358 bytes)

City Park, Falls City: John Hinton, proprietor, is situated upon the banks of the Nemaha River, about one and a half miles from Falls City. The original park consists of twelve acres of native forest, principally walnut. This Mr. Hinton has seeded to grass. In 1882, he added eighteen acres, on which he has built a half-mile track, with all necessary buildings.

citypark.jpg (32889 bytes)

Falls City Park

stumbomills.jpg (26857 bytes)

Stumbo Mills, Falls City


farmwife.jpg (21765 bytes)

Farmer's wife in Falls City

gardenworker.jpg (36836 bytes)

Farmer working on garden

farmstead.jpg (26782 bytes)

Meeting of Falls City Farmsteads


highschool.jpg (43457 bytes)

Falls City High School, View I: The structure is one of the finest in the city, and stands two squares east of the main street, and about the same distance from the public square. It is of brick, with stone trimmings and basement, and is surmounted by a tower that serves to lighten the heavy effect common to all buildings of its size.

highschool1.jpg (19437 bytes)

Falls City High School, View II

humboldhigh.gif (49264 bytes)

Humboldt High School, Humboldt


businesssectin.jpg (22762 bytes)

Business District of Falls City

downtown.jpg (16202 bytes)

Downtown Falls City

fallscitybssect.jpg (32286 bytes)

Falls City Business District

fallscitystreets.jpg (40799 bytes)

Falls City Street

humboldt1_sq.jpg (31206 bytes)

Humboldt Town Square

verdonmainst.jpg (22448 bytes)

Main Street, Verdon

panorama.jpg (38429 bytes)

Panorama of Falls City

stonestreet.jpg (29385 bytes)

Stone Street, Falls City

stellawestmain_1908.gif (57469 bytes)

West Main Street, Stella in 1908


fallscitydepot.jpg (28429 bytes)

Falls City Depot: Built in 1925, the brick structure attests to the fact that the town was an important rail center to the rail line.

humboldtdepot.jpg (4247 bytes)

Humboldt Depot

cbqdepot_1918.jpg (36016 bytes)

Humboldt Depot, CB&Q Railroad, 1918

railroadshop.jpg (44186 bytes)

Railroad Shop at Falls City: In 1909, Falls City became a division point on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, now the Union Pacific.

shubertdepot.jpg (5496 bytes)

Shubert Depot

stelladepot.jpg (9688 bytes)

Stella Depot


steamer.jpg (31560 bytes)

Steamer, Bertram on Missouri River at Rulo