Folk Finders

Large letter Front Porch Memories   1~100

From: Clarksville Weekly Chronicle


August 1,1885--Mr. S.S. Tally has sold his farm to Mr. Albert Green.

From: Clarksville Weekly Chronicle


April 15,1871---An unburied coffin with blood running out of it was found at the African Burying Ground yesterday morning.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


March 21,1940--Dropping on a farm in District 17 of Montgomery County, after apparently soaring about in the stratosphere for six months, a monograph weather machine released at Baltimore, Maryland was recovered Wednesday by M.J. Yarbrough and returned in the mails to the U.S. Weather Bureau.
Information on the delicate little machine indicated that it was released on September 16. It came to earth without being damaged having been supported by a three-foot silk parachute. Construction of aluminum, it weighs about three pounds.
From an examination of the machine, Mr. Yarbrough said it apparently was sent up to record temperatures and air currents.
A fee is to be paid Mr. Yarbrough for recovering the machine.

From: As told by Robert Davidson (Duck�s Journal)


It was on a hot July day in 1909. It was Sunday. My mother had made me a new pretty white dress and she said I could wear it to church if I would not get it dirty. My dad was working that day for the railroad and my mom had to stay home with the baby. I walked to Mrs. Kitty Corban�s home at Corbandale so I could ride to church with her. She had a house full of children (nine), but on this day it was only Mrs. Kitty and myself going to church.
Old �Lotty� was harnessed to the buggy and away to church we went.
Brother Harp Williams was the pastor. When the altar call was made I made my way to the alter, a young girl almost age 9. I remember I cried and I cried. I found Jesus, that hour he came into my heart. I was baptized on the spot and I remember my head was soaking wet. I joined the church that day.
When I got back home, I told my mom what had happened. I remember my mom gave me a big hug and told me I would have to be a good girl from then on. When dad came home, I told him what had happened. Dad was proud, but he did not act as proud as my mom did.
By Mrs. Hilda Bryant Jackson
Note: Her father was Levi Bryant. She was born on September 22,1899 and was called to her reward on March 9,1990. She was married to Claude Jackson and had one daughter.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


January 28,1890--Miss Mary Cage has additions to her music class since Christmas. Among them we mention Misses Sallie Watson and Carrie Gardner of Woodford, Tennessee.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


December 11,1918--Mr. W.T. Swift has bought himself a car.

December 13,1918--W.T. Swift motored to Clarksville Friday.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


January 10,1918--
Miss Golden E. McCurdy is suffering from an attack of cramping, but is much improved.
Mr. J.R. Hamilton has eight cases of measles in his family.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


January 10,1918--S.S. Talley and family have moved to their new home.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


January 10,1918--
Mrs. George S. Abernathy is visiting her mother, Mrs. J.D. McCurdy this week, with her two little girls, Nannie Lou and Emily Rebecca.
Mrs. G.W. Daniel and little Mary made Mrs. Nannie L. McCurdy a visit last Sunday.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


January 11,1899--
A.B. Harvey has moved to his home on Indian Creek.
Robert M. Green has moved with his family from the farm to Marion to educate his children.
J.W. Hodges of Indian Creek has moved with his family to a farm near Edmondson Ferry.
Jim Walton of Cherry Station has moved with his family to Indian Creek.

February 24,1899--
Mr. Polk Smith has bought a house and lot here and will move into it in a few days.
Mr. Jim Myers is making some needed repairs on his dwelling house. The improvement adds much to the look of his place.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


June 25,1889--
Miss Fannie Watkins, of McAllister�s Cross Roads, is visiting friends in the Bend. We are glad to have Miss Fannie in our midst; she always brings life and enjoyment to dispel the dullness of the season.
Miss Mattie Neblett, of the City, is in the Bend, mingling with her many friends and relatives.
Miss Sallie Wyatt spent several days with the Watkins family, on Barton�s Creek, last week. We can now understand the cause of her over glee and merriment.
S.R. Daly and family, of West Point, are visiting his father, J.P. Daly, on the south side.

June 28,1889--
L.C. Atkins, of Port Royal, was in the city yesterday
Miss Sallie Waters, of Rossview, was a visitor to the city yesterday
Z.P. Dennis, of the Ringgold neighborhood, was in the city yesterday.
Reverend G.M. Sanders and daughter, of Woodlawn, were in town yesterday.
Miss Annie Jordan, of Glenellen, was a visitor to the city yesterday.
William G. Pickering and wife, Nancy, of District 5, were in shopping Wednesday.
W.D. Fort and wife, of the eastern part of the county, were in shopping yesterday.
J.M. Jackson, one of the LEAF�s Spring Creek friends, was in the city this week.
Miss May Belle Johnson, of the Hampton neighborhood, was in shopping this week.
Miss DeLa Burgess, of New Providence, expects to leave tomorrow for Pembroke to visit friends.
Daniel Overton, a worthy and intelligent colored man, was n the city this week. He has sustained an enviable reputation as a citizen of this county for over 60 years.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle

12   SICK

January 11,1899--
Little Clay Swift is improving.

February 24,1899--
Uncle George Easley, the colored preacher here, is very low and his physician says he doubts his recovery.
C.A. Barnes

March 8,1899--
Little Fred Swift is sick with slow fever.
Mrs. Ella Broll�s little girl is very sick.

June 6,1899--
Professor Harper�s little child is quite sick with fever.
Reverend B.W. Dodson is confined to the parsonage at this place with sickness.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


May 20,1908--Ed Hughes reported sick last week, is able to set up some. The neighbors met at his house last Thursday and with tools and teams prepared his tobacco land for setting the crop.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


August 26,1908--S.G. Weaver and family, and J.H. Weaver now of Jonesboro, Arkansas are here visiting their old home.

From: As told by Robert Davidson (Duck�s Journal)


Back in the 1950�s when I attended Hackberry School, the Broome family lived in the house where Mrs. Earl Jackson now lives. This home is located where Budd�s Creek Road intersects with Vernon Creek Road. Of course us �old timers� know that what we call Vernon Creek Road now was the �old Mineral Railroad bed�. Buster Smith�s store was located across the road on the first floor to the old Junior Lodge building. An abandoned boxcar set out front.
I�m sorry to say that I do not remember Mr. Jim Broome, but I do remember Mrs. Beulah his wife. She was a substitute teacher and assisted the Red Cross for many years. Their children, Marshal and Dorothy, I do not remember either.
In a recent conversation with a cousin, Clayton Jackson, I was informed of the many accomplishments of Mr. Jim Broome to the community of Hackberry, Montgomery County, and the State of Tennessee. This article is a moment to remember the Broome family.
James Jesse Broome was born on March 10,1884 to James M. and Mary (Allen) Broome. He was from a family of nine. I believe the family lived just above Locust Grove Church in the old log house that is still standing.
In the January 1999 issue of this journal, I listed Jim Broome being elected in 1900 as Magistrate over John Baggett. I first thought this was James Jesse, but it must have been his father. It was not many years though, before young James Jesse got involved in politics. He was Justice of the Peace and member of the county court from the 18th Civil District from 1912-1952.
In 1938, he defeated Austin Peay (a lawyer, but not the governor) by 232 votes to be elected to the State Senate for the first time. His qualifications as listed in the Leaf Chronicle were:
Seldom has Montgomery County had the opportunity of supporting a man of this type for public office. He is not a politician nor has he any political ambitions to promote and is not affiliated with any political organization. The facts are:
He is a man of sterling character.
He is a farmer and a leader in his community.
He has for many years been a livestock dealer.
He has engaged in the mercantile business.
He has been an active member of the county court for more than 26 years.
He has been a member of the Finance Committee of this court for more than 20 years.
He has for many years been an active member of the Montgomery County Farm Bureau.
He is Vice President of the Springfield Production Credit Association, which engages in loans to farmers for
crop production.
He is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Odd Fellows Home in New Providence, which is doing a great work for the orphans and widows.
He is a leader in Church work and active in various fraternal organizations organized for the benefit of humanity.
He offers his services to you at a personal sacrifice, solely for the purpose of contributing to the welfare of this county and state.
He served as Senator in the 71st and 72nd General Assemblies of Tennessee (1939-1942 representing Montgomery and Robertson Counties. During his initial term, he introduced in the Senate the bill which made Austin Peay Normal School a three year college and which in 1941 made it a four year institution. In 1942, he was elected Speaker of the House of Representatives, and held this position for two years while Prentice Cooper was Governor. (Note--County Judge John Talley Cunningham Jr. held this position in 1907). He served as Direct Representative in the 73rd, 74th, and 76th General Assemblies of Tennessee (1943-1047, and (1949-1951).
Back home at Hackberry, he was ruling elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church (1916-1952). and stated Clerk of the Clarksville Presbytery (1920-1952. Mrs. Beulah was President of the Montgomery Central High School PTA in 1941. On May 15,1942, the Hackberry and Palmyra girls 4-H Club held a joint meeting at the home of Miss Dorothy Broome of Hackberry.
Marshall graduated with the Montgomery Central High Class of 1942. Three of the family are at rest now at Greenwood Cemetery.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


December 22,1925--J.O. McCloud is building a new residence and J.R. Grant is preparing to erect a house. J.R. Chadwick and L.B. Hunter are remodeling their homes.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


January 14,1939--If the new electric siren does as well as the old �Wildcat Whistle� at the waterworks station, it will have to �Pickup and go somewhere� - in fact, 18 miles.
Ed Morrison, sharecropper on Fireman John Hanley�s farm, located on Indian Creek in District 22, a distance of 18 miles from town, said he heard the old alarm at 6:00 this morning while he was out feeding the stock and could even count the wards.
This is believed to be one of the greatest distances the wildcat�s shrieking sound has ever carried.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


March 15,1923--Dr. R.L. Norris of Palmyra who underwent an operation at Clarksville Hospital Tuesday is resting well today.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


October 18,1930--A large crowd attended the bean hulling given by Mr. and Mrs. Otis Coleman last Saturday night.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


February 8,1889--
Sid C. Batson Jr. and W.C. Harris left last night on a prospecting tour through Texas. They will take in the Pan Handle and other portions of the state. They were accompanied by Doc Heggie, Sam Jones, and Dick Martin, clever young men from the south side who go to Texas with the view to making it their home. Their intent is to settle near Dallas we understand.

February 26,1889--
Sid Batson, Barney Harris, and Miss Mary Harris returned several days ago from Texas, where the gentlemen went on a prospecting tour and their companion to visit friends.

From: Memorabilia of Montgomery County


The earliest white hunter in Montgomery County was a native of France--Capt. DeMunbreun. His residence was what is now known as Eaton's Station. In 1775 he moved to Deacon's Station, near what is now Palmyra.

From: Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


October 11,1895--Ed Neblett, who lives on Indian Creek, fell from a wagon and nearly broke his arm.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


April 28,1910--Mr. Robert Mockbee, a prominent citizen of Memphis, has been in Clarksville for two days and went today to the home of Baxter Watkins near Southside for a short visit.
Mr. Mockbee is a native of the county, and when the call was made for volunteers in 1861 (he was then only 18 years of age), he enlisted under Captain, afterwards Colonel, Gholson, in the 14th Tennessee Regiment. He served with the regiment until he was placed in a hospital a few months before the surrender by Lee.
While in the hospital he fell in love with a young lady, whom he married a short time after the close of the war, and then located in South Carolina. He there took an active part in the politics of that state during the reconstruction period, and after the Democrats gained control, served in the Legislature and Senate of his adopted state. He prospered financially there until eighteen years ago, his wife having died, he with his only child, a daughter, moved to Memphis.
In that city he has continued to prosper, and although now past his three-score year and ten years, is active and gives close attention to his business affairs. He has relatives and war comrades in this county, who always are pleased to have him visit them, as he is noted for his splendid conversational powers. He expects to remain in the county several days with friends.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


July 5,1910--Hubert Harper, son of Professor W. I. Harper of Southside, has accepted the position of cartoonist for the Oklahomian, a daily paper of Oklahoma City. Hubert is a splendid young man and we predict for him success in his chosen profession.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


Aug. 31, 1933--Mrs. Rachel Herring was born Rachel Whitfield in District 6 on Nov. 5, 1796, the daughter of Bryan Whitfield who came from New Bern, North Carolina in 1795. She married Benjamin Herring in 1814.
She met Reuben Ross on the first Saturday of February 1810. His family and the family of Mrs. Cherry were in a tent nearby, in the area of where St. Bethlehem is now.
She said that in 1807 or 1808, she remembers a log house at the town spring belonging to James Saunders. A bigger, better house belonging to Amos Bird was just below the spring. Zack Dennis had one further down the river, near where the gas works are. Mr. McClure and Mr. Elder were the only merchants. Amos Bird ran a barge to Nashville. Joseph Patton had a still on a little branch of the Red River near Collin's Mill. Renfro's Station was at the mouth of Parson's reek.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf

26   SANGO

February 11,1890--Cards are out announcing the marriage of Sam T. Halliburton, the wide awake, merchant at Sango, and Miss Maggie, daughter of M.M. Rudolph, at Bethel Church, Sango next Thursday at 4:00 p.m. The couple, both of whom are most worthy and popular young people, will start out with auspicious skies and many wishes for their happiness and prosperity.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


June 19,1908--Mr. Wallis of Texas is visiting his niece, Mrs. Sude Cannon of this place.

Miss Addie and Eula Bridgers of the Mt. Zion neighborhood were at Marion Church Sunday.

Mr. H. Trotter and Mr. Ernest Harper were the guests of Misses Mattie and Laura Reynolds at this place Sunday evening.

Mr. Charlie Wickham has been loading telephone poles this week.

Mr. Clem McCorkle of near this place visited Miss Vallie Trotter Sunday.

Misses Mary and Maggie Harper, after a long visit to their parents of this place, returned to their home in Clarksville.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


September 30,1910--Professor A.W. Jobe, principal of the high school at Shiloh, who has been critically ill with typhoid fever, is some better.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


January 18,1913--Miss Ella Fain has resigned her position at Louise to accept a position in the city school of Newport and will leave this afternoon for her new work.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


June 29,1928--After a visit to her mother, Mrs. M. Reid at Corbandale, Mr. and Mrs. Sam McWaters (wife Florence) who were married in Clarksville Monday will go to Paducah, Kentucky next week to make their home.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


July 2,1889--
John N. Daly, after a rest of two weeks with his friends on the south side, will leave this evening for his post of duty at Galveston, Texas.
John Bartee, of Woodlawn, was in the city Saturday
W.P. Johnson, of District 1, was in the city yesterday
J.A. Rollow represented District 6 in the city yesterday
Dr. W.D. Chambers, of District 1, was in the city yesterday
B.B. Hackney, one of the LEAF�s St. Bethlehem patrons, was in town a day or two since.
J.K. Raimey, of the McAllister�s neighborhood, was one of the LEAF�s callers since its last issue
Mrs. W.H. Crouch was in yesterday meeting her many friends. It is indeed at all times a pleasure to have such visitors.
Ed Macquarie & Miss Maud King and Paul Marable & Irwin Neblett spent the Sabbath at James Montgomery�s near Longview.
Mrs. George Minor & children, after spending a pleasant week with her parents in this city, returned to her south side home last Sunday.

July 5,1889--
Mrs. William H. Turnley left Tuesday for Florida
Jonathan T. Batson, of Southside, was in the city Wednesday
Miss Ada Whitaker is the guest of friends near Rossview
Dr. Anderson, of Jordan Springs, was in the city yesterday
Col. Lyle, of District 21, was in town Wednesday
G.S. Rosson, of District 1, was in the city a day or two since
Miss Lizzie Pickering & Miss Ada Elliott, of this county, are visiting near Fulton, Kentucky
Miss Nepple Jackson, of the Oakland neighborhood, is the guest of Mrs. Whitaker�s family, on Main Street.
Misses Mary Wyatt, of the Bend, and Ida Stone, of Cumberland Furnace, accompanied by Will Richardson, paid the LEAF a pleasant call Wednesday.
Miss Lizzie & Susie Killebrew and Nancy McDaniel, of Ringgold, were in shopping Wednesday. Miss Lizzie will be the guest of her cousin, Miss Sallie Slaughter, at St. Bethlehem, for some days.
Mrs. Mattie Dunlop and daughter, Miss Sadie, and Matt Dunlop will leave today for New York, from which point they will sail next Wednesday n the city of Paris for Liverpool and tour the continent. They expect to be away from home five or six months.
Misses DeLa Burgess and Lady Burgess attended the picnic at this place last Saturday
Dr. Whitfield, of New Providence, is a frequent visitor to our town now.
Dr. Harelson, of New Providence, was out among his numerous friends last week.

July 9,1889--
Baxter Watkins, of Southside was in town yesterday
Thomas L. Mabry of District 4 was in town yesterday
Miss Lizzie Ware was the guest of Mrs. C.D. Runyon last week
James H. Achey & wife, of Port Royal, were in town yesterday.
George R. Mimms & Son, Joseph, were here from Hampton Station yesterday
Alex R. Gholson & wife returned yesterday from a pleasant stay with relatives on the south side.
Clay Stacker, Pat Henry and J.H. Marable returned from Lexington, Virginia yesterday morning.

July 12,1889--
W.D. Brandon of the LEAF and J. Sterling Neblett of the Chronicle, were on the south side Saturday & Sunday.
H.P. Leftwich of Southside
Miss Lou Atkins of Port Royal
Arthur Oneal of District 21
E.M. Nolen of the eastern part of the county

July 16,1889--
Miss Annie Neblett, of the south side, is at Idaho
Dr. Webb of the Rudolph neighborhood
W.L. Bedwell of St. Bethlehem

July 19,1889--
J.F. McFall of Sailor�s Rest
Dudley Taylor of St. Bethlehem
J.A. Byard of District 21
Dr. Will Walton and wife of Henrietta
J.F. Holland of the Sango neighborhood

July 23,1889--
Theadore Hamlett of Port Royal
Mrs. Duke Dennes of District 4
Mrs. John S. Miller is visiting her sister, Mrs. Rollow, at Rossview
Jonathan Oneal Sr. & Jr. of District 21
J.W. Clardy of Jordan Springs
Miss Lucy Richardson & Miss Sallie Wyatt, of the Bend, were in shopping
F.C. Outlaw of District 1
H.O. Hambaugh, merchant, miller & Farmer, from Peacher�s Mill

July 26,1889--
A.V. Goodpasture of District one
John Edmondson & daughter Mrs. Jonathan N. Daly of the south side

July 30,1889--
Collin Roberts & P.P. Neblett of the Bend
W.H. Bigger of the Ross view neighborhood
William Durham, of the south side, who moved to Obion County, Tennessee last year, was in the city Saturday.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


December 12,1900--Mrs. Laura Jackson, who has been sick so long, is reported no better.

From: The Weekly Chronicle


February 21,1880--It is to be hoped this late snow and cold weather will benefit the wheat and coming crops. The weather had been so warm, Mrs. Shurden had plenty flowers opened out in the yard.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


May 22,1917--Mr. Lee Horsley, while hauling stave bolts for the Louise Stave Mill, was taken seriously ill and had to return to his home at Slayden.

Mr. Walter Batson, our efficient Tax-Assessor, is very sick with Catarrhal Fever.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


August 2,1889--
Bruce Rice of the south side
Thomas L. Mabry of District 4
Wesley Orgain of the south side
F.E. Foust of Sango
Thomas H. Batson of McAllister�s Cross Roads
W.Q. Atkins of the Henrietta neighborhood
John Edmondson & wife and Mrs. Smith, of the Bend, were in shopping
Col. Weatherford & daughter, Mrs. Darden, of Port Royal
Dr. J.F. Outlaw of Dotsonville
W.G. Saunders of Palmyra

August 6,1889--
Douglas Powers of Palmyra
Esquire McFall of Sailor�s Rest
Dr. Bobb of the Rudolph neighborhood
Robert Johnson of District four
Esquire Taylor of the Spring Creek range
Mrs. George Snadon of the Ringgold neighborhood was in shopping
Dr. Eldridge & Esq. Wilson of Palmyra
Joe Puckett & Miss Sallie Slaughter, of St. Bethlehem visited Miss Lizzie Killebrew at Ringgold Sunday.

August 20,1889---Mrs. Lamar Daly will leave for Texas the 5th of September.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


August 18,1905--J.P. Walker and wife of Missouri are visiting her father W.R. Sugg. They came through in a buggy taking six days to make the trip. Mr. Walker says the roads were fine to the Tennessee River, after that the journey was rough. On this point let me say, our roads are being greatly improved and soon will be good. But we are glad we have hills and hollows with fine water making us immune from Malaria and automobiles.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


December 17,1889--
Polk Prince of District one was in the city today.
Misses Julia Lowe and Annie Neblett were in shopping yesterday.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


August 6,1889--W.W. Riding, whom many of our readers know as �Hard Tack�, the LEAF�s Port Royal correspondent, has recently changed base and is now in Nashville, where he holds the position of shipping and bill clerk for the National Manufacturing Company.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


February 20,1917--Ben Ridley, the night watchman for the railroad on the bluff, asked for a lay-off for one night last week, making the first night off from the job for 800 consecutive nights. He has held this job for the past 25 years and for regularity takes the ribbon.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


November 14,1890--Palmyra 30 years ago was in her palmy days and if the writer mistake not, was the headquarters for two sections which were both worked by Irishmen. When the pay car would come along, that town would be turned upside
Twenty years ago marked little change in Palmyra. Mike Savage was then in his prime a 15-year-old boy and a good one. As far as he could go he was there and when he entered into work all the boys regarded him as one who had come to stay. He was always in for any kind of fun he thought his ma and pa would sanction and if he even disregarded any order they had given him it was nothing more than going in swimming on Sunday.
Jimsey Glenn was one of these picturesque Irish lads about Palmyra who could whip any boy in the whole county, consequently every other boy hated him. He was red-headed and freckle-faced and usually went bareheaded and barefooted. He had a pet goat and a wagon to which he drove him whenever the goat would take a notion to work. Mike Savage had two hound pups and on Sunday all the boys of Palmyra met on top of the river bluff over the tunnel to pass the day, hulling walnuts and throwing rocks. About 11:00 Jimsey Glenn drove up with his goat working fine. Mike Savage�s hounds spied him and made a dive for him. The goat bleated and started for the river bluff, his driver too scared to jump out of the wagon and let him go. Straight to the bluff he went and with a bound cleared the top of a sapling and shot toward the river jumping from ledge to ledge carrying Jimsey with him and never stopping until he had reached the river and soused his master head first into it. Jimsey swam ashore and climbed back to the top of the bluff and it was a caution to see how he broke up that meeting.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


October 15,1915--Professor C.H. Rye, principal teacher at Louise, visited M.L. Cross Company of Clarksville last Saturday and oh my, you should see what he purchased for himself.

Mr. Ed Smith came to see Miss Pearl Baggett last Sunday for the first time since he got his skull busted. She says he still looks and talks good.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


August 6,1889--A young deer has made its home on J.W. Pardue�s place, near the city, for a month or more. Its ownership is unknown to Mr. Pardue. Owing to the fact that the dogs often chase the animal and may kill or injure it, Mr. Pardue would be glad for it to be taken away.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


January 10,1890--A fire plug will be put in on Strawberry at the head of the alley leading from Main Street.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


October 29,1929--Due to the loss by fire, a family in District 22 of this county is reported in distress. While at a neighbor�s home Saturday night, the home of Tommy Leftwick was completely destroyed by fire. Nothing was saved. Mr. and Mrs. Leftwick have three small children and it is said they have nothing to eat, few clothes to wear, and no funds in addition to being homeless.
Mr. Leftwick has been the victim of many misfortunes for the past 12 years. 12 years ago, he lost his arm in an attempt to board a train. Three years ago, he lost his eyesight and the past 2 years he has suffered from neuritis and has been unable to work. The family is reported in great need and any contributions would be appreciated. Packages should be sent to T.K. Leftwick, Cunningham, Tennessee, Route 2.

From: The Daily Leaf Chronicle

May 21,1918

Now all nations fill the world with terror,
Now half the wealth�s bestowed on camp and court;
On battle, gun and airplane,
And works on land and ship and port.
If there were no future for this generation,
All earthly sounds would cease.
Like a bell with sweet vibration,
We should hear Christ�s voice say �Peace!�
Peace! and no longer from earth�s great regions
The cloud of war shall dim the skies,
But, sweet song of the immortals,
The holy melodies of love arise.
By: Ruth Wickham, aged 15, Palmyra, Tennessee

From: Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


February 7,1893--James T. Swift brought to the Leaf Chronicle office yesterday, a package containing $40,000 which he found on the road side near Collinsville, on the south side.
There is a mystery connected with the find which cannot at the present be unraveled. The package has been left at the Leaf Chronicle office and can be had by the owner describing the property and making satisfactory title to the same.

From: Clarksville Weekly Chronicle


July 18,1874---On the evening of the 13th inst., the mother of Nancy Batson, 68, stepped out of the door of her dwelling and saw a rattlesnake at the bottom step. She procured a piece of iron a few feet long lying nearby and immediately dispatched His Snakeship in short order. He had six or seven rattles.

From: Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


March 24,1893--Palmyra was looking so dull Sunday evening, Mike Sivels and Jesse Seibert concluded it needed a coat of paint, and they went to work and painted the town red for a while. The boys did a good job and had a fine time and much fun. But the paint wasn�t red enough to suit the citizens and they called Squire S.B. Powers to finish up the work. He painted the boys a deep bright-red color and now all is quiet.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf

49   SICK

Professor Quarles, who has been quite sick recently, we are glad to know, has so far recovered as to be able to resume his school at Howell next Monday. Among the recent additions to his list of pupils is Howard Pettus, of New Providence. We are glad to know that his school is full. There are few better educators than Professor Quarles, and parents cannot put their boys in better hands.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


January 10,1890--
Sterling Bellamy and wife, of Rossview, accompanied by J.W. Rollow�s two little daughters, visited W.A. Bobbett�s family last week.
R.Y. Johnson and Vincent Fuqua went to Clarksville together Monday.

February 11,1890--Miss Austin Peay is visiting relatives in Texas.
Miss Addie Warfield, of St. Bethlehem, one of the very few ladies who have lived to read her own obituary, was in the city yesterday and paid the Leaf office an appreciated call.

February 14,1890--
J.S. Rosson, of District 1 was in the city yesterday.
Miss Mattie Dennis, of the Ringgold neighborhood, is the guest of Mrs. Mildred Pettus, of New Providence.

February 18,1890--
Joe Adams of Port Royal was in the city yesterday.
John Staton of New Providence was in town yesterday, the first time after a serious illness.

February 21,1890--
W.H. Killebrew, of the St. Bethlehem neighborhood, was in town Wednesday. Mr. Killebrew is a demonstration of the healthfulness of the section. He tells us that for 35 years he has not been sick enough to keep his bed for an entire day.
Misses Ada Whitaker & Mary Cage, of Port Royal, were out together making social calls Saturday.
Mrs. S.H. Morgan and son Henry, of District 1 spent Saturday and Sunday with Mrs. M.C. Norfleet.

February 25,1890--
D. Daly, of the south side was in the city yesterday.
Hugh Gholson of the south side was in the city yesterday.
R.T. Wyatt of the Bend, was among the Leafs callers Saturday.
Hart Caldwell has returned from New Orleans, where he witnessed Mardi Gras.
Mrs. J.A. Clements and sister, Miss Mary Caldwell, spent last week with Mrs. Jack Crouch.
Brother Rice, of Pleasant View, was in the city yesterday, and visited his old parishioners in the Antioch circuit.

March 4,1890--
Ross Bourne, of Port Royal, was in the city yesterday.
Miss Ada Whitaker spent several days with W.N. Gaine�s family this week.
Miss Kate Wooldridge, of Hopkinsville, is the guest of Mrs. Frank Beaumont
Ben F. Gill is expected to return from Florida this morning. It will be interesting to hear Ben describe the Florida booms, orange groves, and alligators.
Mrs. Henry Rosson of Port Royal spent Wednesday with Miss Ellen Yates. Mrs. George Smith and daughter, Inez, also spent the afternoon there. Misses Mary Cage and Wilmoth Norfleet spent Friday night at Dr. Allen�s.

March 7,1890--
Mr. Shyer and wife, of Evansville, and Miss Mannie McKenge, of your city, are the guests of J.W. Scott and family.
C.W. Meriwether left last week for Mississippi to join his wife, who has been in bad health for some time.
T.S. Hamlett and E.W. Bourne spent Sunday afternoon at W.A. Bobbett�s.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


February 14,1890--
Josie Mimms has left the old family roof tree and gone into business in Bowling Green.
Joe Stewart, after spending four or five years in the south and west, returned home last Tuesday.
Misses Nannie Gold and Lucy Thomas, of New Providence, expect to leave on Sunday for Lebanon, to enter school.
Joe Puckett and John Hancock, of the Hampton neighborhood, left yesterday for Denver. The LEAF wishes them luck in the west.
James Brunty, of New Providence, left yesterday for Dallas, Texas, to visit his daughter and to bring Mrs. Brunty home, who has been with her daughter sometime.

January 31,1890--
F.H. Randle has moved to the residence on 7th Street recently vacated by T.I. Haryle.

From: Daily Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


May 2,1892--The smartest dog story yet recorded comes from the south side. Farmer Leftwich, whom everybody knows as the Alliance secretary and a good, honest gentleman, has a dog of the shepherd and water spaniel cross which he thinks a great deal of. The animal is a female and brought her first litter of pups last summer. Mr. Leftwich picked out the females of the young family after they were several days old and drowned them in the creek near by. The mother observed his action and appeared reconciled. Last week she had a second litter of eleven pups, five of the number being females. After they were two days old, the mother picked out the five females taking them one at a time and doused them into the creek, and then wagged her tail with satisfaction as if soliciting demonstration of approval on the part of her master.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


October 23,1920--A building boom seems to have struck the town. Mr. J. Davis is putting up a neat little bungalow. The Masons have picked a lot in the heart of the town and will soon build. The church trustees are proposing a new parsonage on the church lot. The cross business is opened up again.

From: Daily Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


February 25,1892--Mr. I.D. West, of Sailor�s Rest, walked into the Leaf Chronicle office this morning and exhibited two pieces of Continental money that were marked with age, not withstanding the fact that he had guarded them well for something less than a century. One was a $50 bill printed in 1779 in Philadelphia by Hail & Sellars; the other a shin-plaster of North Carolina, printed in 1776.
Mr. West clings to old times, both in his politics and dress. He is just as strong a Whig as he was in 1844 when Henry Clay embodied his idea of statesmanship, and wears the old time regulation jeans suit, brown at that, with coat cut the Prince Albert style. The cap that over-tops this suit reminds one of the head gear worn by the pioneers of civilization in this county. Mr. West has been living near Sailor�s Rest all his life and relates some interesting incidents of the long ago. It was this gentleman�s grandfather who gave to Sailor�s Rest its appellation. George West, his grandfather, was a captain in the Revolutionary War, commanding a man-of-war throughout that eventful struggle. At the close of the war he took to the merchant-marine trade and made many voyages across the Atlantic. He finally settled where Sailor�s Rest now is and gave that place its name. thus the West family was planted in the vicinity and were pioneers in the development of the mineral resources of the Cumberland. When the battle of Fort Donelson was fought, I.D. West had just completed Sailor�s Rest Furnace; but the fall of that fort put an end to his work.
Mr. West relates with much enthusiasm his experiences. He says he learned to read from the pages of the Clarksville Chronicle when he was a boy and that the paper has been coming to him regularly since. He would rather do without his dinner than to miss one issue.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


September 5,1918--Miss Mary Ida Morrison will attend high school this session in Clarksville

Miss Mattie Baxter spent last week with her sister, Mrs. Ray Abernathy.

Misses Mary and Eleanor Dickson gave a moonlight last Friday night. Everybody reported a nice time.

Mr. and Mrs. J.G. Moore spent the day with Mrs. Moore�s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Talley last Sunday.

Mr. Thomas Bumpus called on Miss Mary Dickson last Sunday.

Miss Maggie East of Nashville spent the weekend with Mrs. Dick Grimes.

Mr. Theodore Baxter will leave for camp Wednesday.

From: Daily Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


October 25,1890--James P. Kelly, of District 13, who is about 65 years of age, has been afflicted six or eight years with supposed consumption, having frequent hemorrhages, and has for some time appeared in the last stages of that disease, his friends expecting his death at any moment. Squire Mockabee, his near neighbor, says Mr. Kelly was attacked a few days ago with the most violent hemorrhages he had ever experienced, and it seemed that he would bleed to death in spite of every effort to stop the copious flow of blood from the lungs. Finally he quieted down in prostration and friends thought the end had come, when he was seized with a violent cough and threw up a hard, rough stone over a quarter of an inch in diameter and one and a quarter inches long, resembling a gall or bladder stone in substance, having five or six sharp points or hooks on it like a burr. The stone was covered with bloody mucus. Mrs. Kelly preserved the curious substance for the investigation of physicians who may wish to see it. Mr. Kelly has been very much better since and now feels confidents that he will recover.

From: Daily Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


August 18,1892--Our friend W.W. Nolen has quit farming, and matriculated in the Shiloh High School.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


July 26,1939--Like an echo from that morning in 1930 when his mother, who was then Mrs. Willie D. Byard, 41-year old widow, and her brood of nine children left by automobile from their District 13 home to far-off California, where she was to meet her mail-betrothed, Gus Hubert. Edwin Byard, the eldest son of the ready-made family of nine, came to the Leaf Chronicle office this morning to �report� on the outcome of the unusual romance.
Edwin, now 26, said his mother (formerly Ida M. Hughes) and eight brothers and sisters are doing well with three of the children married, three away at work, and three at home with their mother and stepfather, the German emigrant who
This was the first time Edwin had been home since that day nine years ago when they departed and none of the others have been back.
Recalling the trek almost across a continent, Edwin said that his stepfather-to-be met his ready-made family some 75 miles from Eureka, California, where he owned a chicken ranch and to which he took his bride and her nine children.
Since then, Mr. Hubert or �Gus� as he called him, had sold his chicken ranch and bought a small ranch near Eureka.
Under the wing of the German, the family fared well, Edwin reported, and �Gus� bestowed upon them all the care of a real father.
He said his mother had never regretted accepting Gus� proposal. Gus is now 51 and his wife 50.
The young man recalled the trek across the country to a new home with considerable amusement. He said Mrs. Byard traded her farm of 13 acres to Lewis Potter in return for passage for herself and nine children to Eureka. Since then, he said, Potter has sold the farm six different times and owns it again. He has remodeled the old home.
Edwin, who now lives at Bentley, California is employed by the northwestern & Pacific Railroad Company. He said he went home every weekend since Bentley is only about 100 miles from Eureka.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


May 17,1907--About two weeks ago, W.G. Miley and wife and two little children were found sick and in a starving condition. It was seen that the woman was in the last stages of tuberculosis and could not raise herself in bed and her baby which fed from its mother�s breast was so emaciated that it would not have weighed over ten pounds and had not had a change of clothes for weeks.
They were in an isolated, abandoned cabin on the outskirts of Palmyra and had been there about two months without beds and scarcely any bed clothing. The husband worked at times with the night crew for the Palmyra Lime Company getting good wages.
Mrs. M.M. Hussey, Mrs. R.T. Rowland, Mrs. Richard Brindley and Miss Eugenia Swift took charge of the case. After putting the cabin in good sanitary condition, a bedstead and clean bed clothes were furnished in addition to food.
Three warm meals were carried to the woman and children daily. The fourth day she could sit up in bed and the seventh day she could walk. The baby was greatly changed.
In the meantime her people of Ypsilanti, Mississippi were notified and her sister and brother-in-law arrived on train #103 and departed on the train #102 with her and children for her old home and mother at Ypsilanti which she had prayed to see once more before her death, which cannot be far off. It was the saddest situation known to Palmyra. The history of the case runs as follows:
Two years ago the family put out from Ypsilanti (then their home) in a covered wagon to see the world. The husband was going to write a book of their travels and the country from which he expected great returns in finance and fame. They traveled toward the Gulf Coast but one of the horses died and before going much further the other one died. They were soon out of money and means and began to wander wherever they could get a lodging place. They were well-educated and used the best of language. It developed that the woman�s mother owns considerable property in Ypsilanti and her two brothers of high standing. One heads a mining company and is superintendent of a hospital and the other occupies a chair in a University of Ohio.

From: Clarksville Star


December 2,1927--He's neither an editor or reporter, but 30 seems to be the number you would ring to get Clyde Clayton Trinkle, Corbandale farmer and World War veteran. 30 in newspaper parlance means the end of a story or the closing of a newspaper man's career.
Trinkle served in the 30th Division of the U.S. Army in the World War. Shortly after the war he chose the 30th day of December 1919 for his marriage to Helen Murch Swift. On November 30th his third child to be born on the 30th of the month came into the world. The child is a daughter who has been named Effie Ida. Two older sisters, Mary Evelyn and Helen F., saw the light of day on a 30th day of a month. A son, Benjamin C., however, was different from the girls. He was born on another date just missing the 30th by two days.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


June 25,1928--Recovery recently of a valuable gold watch he lost twelve years ago while picking blackberries proved gratifying to Baxter Batson, young farmer of this community, who found the watch while plowing over the spot where the brier patch formerly thrived. To Batson's surprise the watch fell out of a clod of dirt. The timepiece, which was presented to him by the First National Bank at Clarksville when he was employed by that institution, is highly prized by Batson. The watch is in good condition with all its parts intact.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf

62   RED FOX

February 14,1890--Jonathan S. Milles and Jesse Pickering, while shooting snipes near Jones Neblett�s house Wednesday afternoon, killed an 18 pound red fox that unwarily approached within range of their breech-loaders. It took four charges to settle his fox ship. Jesse brought him to town and had him on exhibition at the store yesterday.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf

63   SICK

January 10,1890--
F.F. Fox has been a sufferer several days from La Grippe.

February 11,1890--
Jones D. Neblett, a victim of La Grippe, is now suffering very much from a wrench in the back that keeps him in bed.
George A. Leigh, for ten days a sufferer from a bone-felon, is able to be at business again.
Mrs. L.P. Parks, mother of the Leaf�s esteemed correspondent, Laughing Water, at Port Royal, is reported very ill with pneumonia. Yesterday she was thought to be a little better.

February 14,1890--
Mrs. George Mimms, of Hampton Station, is recovering from pneumonia. Her daughter Mrs. Hammiel, of Bowling Green, visited her when she was ill.
Judge Smith has not been quite so well the past few days, and is again kept at home.
Mrs. Elizabeth Forbes was taken suddenly sick at her home on 2nd Street last Monday, and is now critically ill. Her trouble, we understand, seems an affection of the brain. Kind friends are ready to minister to her slightest want, and the best of medical skill is given her, but at her time of life, nearly 70 years, such an attack is extremely serious.

February 18,1890--
Jonathon W. Trahern, long a most valuable citizen of this county, whose mind has been dethroned for some months, was brought home from the asylum at Nashville a day of two ago, and is now at home in a very precarious state of health.

February 21,1890--
Mrs. Jonathan J. West, who left several days ago to visit friends at Montgomery Alabama, was called home Wednesday by the illness of her son, little John, who has been quite sick with chills.
We are glad to see Mrs. R.S. Bellamy out again, after an attack of the Grip.
Alfred Killebrew and Mr. Fry have been on the sick list, but we�re glad to see them able to attend church last Sunday.
Finis Ewing, Jr. is himself again, although in addition to a crippled foot he had the grip.

February 25,1890--
Simon Katz has been laid up with neuralgia several days.
John Batson of the south side, is reported quite sick with pneumonia.
Little Agnes Elliott, youngest daughter of Guerry Elliott, of Port Royal, was quite sick a few days last week, but about well again.
Mrs. W.A. Bobbett of Port Royal, we are glad to state, is able to be up.

February 28,1890--
Jesse Pickering has been on the sick list for several days.

March 4,1890
Mrs. M.C. Norfleet, of Port Royal, ahs been on the sick list this week; Miss Ethel Hamlett also.

March 7,1890--
W.H. Crouch, the peoples friend, as his fellow buyers familiarly call him, has been quite sick at his home near the city for several days, with an acute case of La Grippe. He is one of the strong men of the tobacco interest and his many friends will be glad to see his pleasant face on our streets again.
Albert Lieber and sister Miss Bella, who have both been very ill for several weeks, the latter for months indeed, are reported substantially improved.
Frank Clifton, of south Clarksville for several days quite sick, is reported better.
Mrs. John Cuningham, wife of the ferryman at the seven-mile ferry, is laying at the point of death.
Mrs. Mary Watts, we regret to hear, is no better.
Miss Addie Rosson, after an illness of three weeks at Port Royal, returned to her home near Saddlersville last week.

April 29, 1890--
Nathan Smith, a little boy in C. D. Runyon�s family is very ill with measles and pneumonia.
Mrs. C. D. Bailey and three of her children are laid up with the measles in a mild form.

May 8,1890--
The little daughter of G.W. Karnes who has been very sick, is getting well.
Measles have broken out in the family of J.R Ussery in District 13.
Mr. Carney Lyle who has been confined to his room for a week with measles, is able to be out again.

July 17,1890--
Mr. James Rutherford is quite sick at his home on Marion Street.

From: The Corn Sheller


Captain Abraham Allen of Orange County, North Carolina, a Revolutionary War veteran, purchased approximately 1,275 acres in the state of Tennessee on July 11, 1796 for 637 pounds, 10 shillings. Shortly after, Captain Allen relocated his family and sons' families to "Allendale", some 6 miles north of Clarksville. The Allen family still owns 300 acres of the original tract. The house Dr. W. Bailey Allen (local dentist) lives in is a 2-story brick with a section of the original log structure from 1796, the brick part from 1858. A smaller log house now owned by Dr. Thomas Hartz was moved in 1976 to a spot overlooking West Fork Creek.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


September 17,1889--W. D. Meriwether has purchased of W.A. Settle the old Methodist parsonage at the corner of 5th & commerce streets. Mr. Meriwether will remodel the house at once and occupy it as a residence.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


July 2,1904--Palmyra has a curiosity. Jim Tuberville is 16 and weighs only 60 pounds. He looks to be about 10 years old. It would be a fine charity if the county would educate him. There is no hope of his being able physically to make a living.

From: Leaf Chronicle


December 18,1902--Louis Williams of Cumberland City was here with his phonograph a few nights since and entertained some of his friends. Sorry to say he missed the train and, having the store keys in his pocket, had to"count the ties" home before daylight.

From:Daily Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


July 7,1891---Mack McCurdy, aged 80 years, has been quite sick.

From: Memorabilia of Montgomery County


Folks who have been in The Bend know the old Roberts place and remember the spring in the hollow just west of the house. The place was settled by the father of Collin D. Roberts.
Indians gave this spring and hollow their name. They claimed various virtues for the waters of the spring, among them was that of dispelling all knowledge of earthly affairs, wrapping them in oblivion. Every full moon, the Indians would gather at this spring and drink its waters. They would hold communion with the Great Spirit and when thewaters had taken effect, they would lie in the hollow under the trees until the spell was broken.
In 1812 this country was shaken by terrible earthquakes and the spring sank. After many years, someone dug into the ground and struck water but its wonderful effects had vanished.
By: R.G.J. May 13,1889

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


July 16-17, 1919--Mrs. John Sinks and Miss Irene Woods of Southside, Mrs. Florence Proctor and 2 children, and Mabel and June Esteel of St. Louis, are visiting Mr. E.P. Woods.

From: Memorabilia of Montgomery County


Dorothy Dix was Elizabeth Meriwether Gilmer, daughter of William Douglas and Maria Meriwether. Born 1861 at Woodstock, Tennessee a few miles from Clarksville on the Kentucky state line. She married George Gilmer of Clarksville. She is buried in New Orleans.

From: Memorabilia of Montgomery County


Red Paint Hill is around the bend from Two Rivers Mall at mile marker 125, the bottoms across from the bluffs belonged to Robert Johnson. The area between mile marker 125.5 and 126.5 was known as Black Bottom; it had many factories.
Land at mile marker 125.5 on the west side belonged to John Weakley who raised pumpkins and corn in the 1930's and 1940's.
A Weakley was killed by lightening in that bottom.
At mile marker 126 there was a tobacco factory that belonged to the Walker Brothers, millionaires before and after the Great Depression. Just south of mile marker 126 were the bottom lands owned by Sam Phipps.

From: The Corn Sheller


Buster Sheppard lived on Current St. and kept his boat tied behind the Waterworks. He was famous for finding people who had drowned. The County paid him $12 + 1 gal whiskey. He gave the money to his grandsons who helped him.

From: The Corn Sheller

74   LAND

The bottoms where the Fairgrounds are use to belong to Irving Manning.

From: The Corn Sheller

75   LAND

The house where LaFayette spent the night, "Ben's Folly" was owned by Mr. Gaisser. The hill it sat on was called Gaisser's Bluffs. He made fine wine.

From: The Corn Sheller

76   LAND

The land on both sides of McClure Bridge was owned by Will Daniel, Attorney.

From: Memorabilia of Montgomery County

77   LAND

The area known as the Fairgrounds Park was at one time during the 1800's, a farm owned by Clay Stacker, a one-time owner of The Clarksville Tobacco Leaf which is now The Clarksville Leaf Chronicle.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


September 3,1889--Alex R. Gholson bought the E.B. Whitfield cottage on Madison Street last Saturday. The price paid was $2,500.

November 15,1889--Alex R. Gholson and wife have gone into housekeeping at the Jonathan Neblett cottage, on Marion Street.

July 26,2889--Thomas Allen is building a cottage residence on Baseball Hill in south Clarksville. He expects to occupy it as soon as completed.

From: Memorabilia of Montgomery County


The earliest white hunter in Montgomery County was a native of France--Captain DeMunbreun. His residence was what is now known as Eaton's Station. In 1775 he moved to Deacon's Station, near what is now Palmyra.

From: Clarksville Historical Society


When Clarksville was settled, the buildings were around the spring (the present foundry property) with four streets.
One street ran from the spring going east (Madison St.) toward Nashville.
One street, called the Kentucky Road, ran from the spring down to the Red River Ferry (New Providence bridge).
One street, the Russellville Road, ran from the spring east (Main St.) to Red River Ferry.
One street, the Charlotte Road, ran from the Nashville Road to Edmondson's Ferry.
In 1790, the Court was held at Col. Montgomery's house, also at Col. Titsworth's and at William Grimb's.
The bottoms on both sides of the L&N trestle, on the west side of the river, was owned by Buck Phipps.
The land between the trestle and Gallows Hollow belonged to the Gracey Estate.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


July 16-17, 1919--Mrs. George W. Ferrell and 2 children, George Jr. and Beuna, spent a few days last week with Mr. and Mrs. Ferrell of Mount Zion.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


August 2,1889--C.H. Bailey has sold his Madison Street property, the Tharpe Place, to Dr. J.W. Brandau, of LaGrange Furnace, for $3,925. Dr. Brandau will occupy the place after the present year.

From: Clarksville Leaf Chronicle


April 6,1925--An epidemic of flu and pneumonia is raging in Southside, so many being ill it is difficult to find enough well to nurse the sick. Among those ill are Miss Sarah Hagewood, daughter of J.B. Hagewood, who is in critical condition from pneumonia; Miss Mabel Gillum has pneumonia and her father has the flu; Mrs. J. R. Grant and Martin Ray Grant; Mrs. Jesse Scott; Mr. & Mrs. O. M. Trotter and two children; Grafton Dickson and two sons, Edward and Harned; Mrs. Leon Hunter and children are all flu or pneumonia sufferers Mrs. Martha Davis is ill of pneumonia. Mrs. E. R. Gannaway has been confined to her bed for the past five weeks with sciatic neuritis.

From: Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


Mr. William Orgain of Lone Oak was the guest of Miss Emma Lee Hudgens last Sunday, though it is not an unusual scene to see that new �Lizzie� parked in Southside any Sunday.

From: Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


September 13,1909--Miss Maggie Lyle left Friday for Louisiana where she teaches.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


January 28,1897--
Professor W.N. Williams, of Perry County, is here on a visit to his father�s family.

January 25,1897---
Mrs. James Neblett, of Hurricane Creek, is visiting relatives and friends on Indian Creek.

November 22,1897--
Mrs. Lizzie Swift has returned home from Hurricane, where she spent some time with relatives
Misses Lora Batson and Ruth Neblett have just returned from your city after spending several days with relatives and friends.
Boyd Tollerson, of Adams Station, is visiting relatives in this section.
Mr. Jack Harvey, of White Oak, paid his brother, Gid, a visit this week. He was accompanied by his wife.
G.W. Swift is visiting relatives in Robertson County.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


November 22,1889--Captian Gracey, B.H. Owen, M.V. Ingram, John Hurst and Judge Charles W. Tyler attended the river convention in Nashville Wednesday.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


November 22,1897--Thomas Hamilton, Jr. passed the Maple Grove School on the evening of the 17th and cried �School-Butter� for which four of the school boys carried him to the creek and ducked him head and ears.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


November 22,1897--Mrs. Robb McCullom�s funeral was to have been preached (by the Primitive Baptist) last Sunday, but some of the children were sick, so it was postponed until sometimes in the future.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf

90    SICK

June 28,1889--Mrs. Jennie Stewart Williams remains very ill. Her physicians think there is only a bare chance for her recovery. The afflicted family have the tender sympathy of the community.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle

91   SICK

January 25,1897---
R.A. Harvey is out again, having been sick with grippe.
Dr.W.H. Crouch is improving slowly.

January 28,1897--
There is very general complaint from bad colds. Scarcely a family is exempt from it. W.P. Lee and B.M. Ellis are sick with grip, and Mr. Ellis has a child sick with pneumonia.

November 22,1897--
Little Lola, daughter of Felix S. Harvey, has malarial fever; so also have Mrs. A.J. Abernathy and William Harvey, Esq.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


August 6,1889--
Len Blanton is quite sick at the home of his sister, Mrs. Pet Clardy, near Jordan Springs. He came in town Saturday and had a physician to lance several very painful boils that have caused him much suffering.
The LEAF regrets to learn of the serious illness of William Yates son of Jerome Yates. It is feared that he can not long survive. He has borne his affliction with great fortitude.

August 16,1889--Mrs. John Batson Reynolds left yesterday morning from Louisville, accompanied by her sister, Mrs. Cockerill and children. She will be under medical treatment there.

August 20,1889--A little child of John Willis has been dangerously ill several days at the home of M.D. Johnson, no Franklin Street.

August 23,1889--We regret to learn that Reverend F.W. Carney has been confined by illness at his home in New Providence for some time, and has been unable to fill his appointments.

From: Clarksville Semi-Weekly Tobacco Leaf


July 30,1889--A dog showing unmistakable evidence of suffering and evidently in a dangerous condition, invaded Mrs. Hornar�s premises Sunday afternoon and went through the lower rooms of her house. An attempt was made to kill the animal there, but without success. It was followed and killed by J.G. Pickering near Dr. McCauley�s office.

From: Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


May 30,1874--December 12,1874--During the last 30 days there have been 26 red foxes killed in the neighborhood.

From: Daily Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


July 7,1891---Miss Mary Daniel of Cedar Creek has been visiting friends in this section.
The picnic given recently at Abernathy's schoolhouse was a grand success. Miss Inez Eleanor and the Misses Weakley, of Dickson County attended the picnic.

From: Tobacco Leaf Chronicle


January 13,1932--A malady from which Mrs. George Baggett of Shiloh community is suffering has not yet been diagnosed by her attending physician, but it is believed that she is afflicted with Tularemia, or rabbit fever. Such cases are rare in this county. Last year only one case was reported in this section.
Mrs. Baggett has been ill several days. Accompanying the fever are sores on the knuckles of her fingers through which it is thought she contacted the ailment in dressing two rabbits.
Tularemia germs are sometimes carried by rats, rabbits, squirrels, and ground hogs. The patient contracts the disease by handling or dressing one of the animals having Tularemia. Sometimes the patient is ill for nearly a year, but rarely is it fatal.
Mrs. Baggett dressed two rabbits some two weeks ago and it is believed she possibly contacted Tularemia from one of these if she is really suffering from that malady.

From: Tobacco Leaf Chronicle

97   SALEM

August 14,1909--Mr. John Lyle who lives on the Charlotte Road near the Seven-Mile Ferry reports the catch of a few days since of a huge yellow catfish in the Cumberland River near the ferry weighing 32 1/2 pounds. The strange part of the story is that he caught this fish on a nickel line and perch hook that is considered useless for anything except small fish. But Mr. Lyle, like all fisherman, would not have his word doubted in the least and therefore explains the manner in which this large fish was caught on such a line and hook. The pole had been left sitting out with a bait on the hook. A 2 1/2-pound catfish had swallowed the bait and hung itself. The larger fish coming by proceeded to swallow the one already caught but in taking him down head foremost the horns became fastened in the sides and could not go either up or down so in pulling out, there was no fight being prevented by the sticking of the stiff horns and only the dead weight was to be floated ashore.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


August 5,1896--Willie, the six-year-old son of W.P. Lee, is said to be getting better. He has been sick four weeks with some brain and throat trouble.

From: Daily Leaf Chronicle


March 8,1900---
J.L. Dean of the 13th District is in the city this afternoon and stated to a reporter that the epidemic of measles in this section is abating somewhat. In L.W. Potter�s family, consisting of father, mother and eight children, all were sick at one time.
Lisa Suiter and family are all sick and helpless and efforts are being made for their relief.
Both white schools have been closed; but the colored school has not stopped, not a single case of measles being reported among the negroes.

From: Clarksville Weekly Chronicle


August 21,1875--On Friday the 27th inst., a wolf hunt is to come off in the Batson neighborhood in this county, the meeting of hunters to be at Zach Batson�s. The undergrowth in that section has grown up so thick that it is a complete rendezvous for these voracious animals and they are reported to be there in large numbers. A great many sheep, hogs, and calves have been killed by them. All who desire to eradicate these pests can join the party. Equip yourselves with gun and ammunition and go over next Friday.
Wolf scalps are good for taxes.

September 18,1875--The wolves since the hunt have run into Dickson County where they are doing much mischief. They have killed many sheep for G. Harvey and several hogs for J. Bull. Mr. Abernathy said they have been howling around his premises several nights. We want a party to join us at Zach Batson�s soon in the morning after the first snow and we will try to track them without any dogs and endeavor to eradicate them.

December 4,1875--Scalps are good for taxes for this year if captured in Tennessee Wolf scalps are rated at $2.00, wild cat and red fox at $1.00 each and gray fox $.50.

back      home    1~100    101~200    201~300    301~400   

Folk Finders Guestbook        email

     Montgomery County Cemeteries     Death Notices     Men Folk     Women Folk     Folks Name Index    

     Neighborhood Folks     Local Sports     Folks Families     The Courthouse Square     Historical Notes    

     Keeping the Peace     Public Folks     Remembrances of Our Past     Birth Announcements     Old Time Religion    

     Marriages     Society Folks     Lodge Brothers     Front Porch Memories     Down on the Farm    

     Business Folks     Old School Days     Funeral Home Records     The Village Post Office     Separate Ways    

     Folks Reunions     Folks Anniversaries     Immigrant Ships Index     Native_Folk     Wills of the Past    

     The Old Home Place     Time Machine     Villages in Montgomery County     Old Time Medical Terms    

     Montgomery County Death Index (1908 - 1912)     Montgomery County Death Index (1914)

Wendy's Backgrounds      Wendy's Backgrounds