Otago Witness Chronological Record for 1898

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

New Zealand Bound

Otago Witness Chronological Record for 1898

Reference online:  'Papers Past' - a NZ National Library website. 

Otago Witness December 29 1898 page 22 
Obituaries unless otherwise stated

1st to 3rd January
Adam 		TF 		arrived 1858 			January 1st to 3rd 
Anderson 	Captain 	of the Waikare 			February 24
Arthur 		Thomas 		long resident of Lawrence 	May 29
Bellamy 	Edward 		author of "Looking Backwards" 	May 24
Bessemer 	Sir H 		aged 85 			March 16
Bracken 	Thomas 		poet aged 55 			March 16
Brown 		Robert 		an old settler of Henly 	February 17
Cain 		Dr R.C 		Archbishop of Rockhampton	March 5
Cargill 	John 		Death announced 		February 8
Clements 	Charles 	executed at Dunedin 		April 12
Cook 		George 		barrister and solicitor aged 82 April 11
Dobson 		Sir William L of Hobart 			March 18
Dodgshun 	Rev. Charles  	("Lewis Carroll") 		January 15
Fenton 		Ex-Judge 	of Native Land Court 		April 23
Forsaith 	Mr and Mrs TS 	arrived 1838 celebrate diamond wedding May 17
Gisbourne 	Hon. W. 	NZ statesman 			January 10 
Gladstone 	Right Hon W E 	aged 88 			May 19
Gladstone 	Mr 		buried at Westminster Abbey 	May 28
Haggitt 	BC  		aged 60 			February 1
Hall 		Rev. George 	Waihola aged 78 		March 1
Hodgkins 	MW 		aged 65 			February 8
Harrold 			arrived 1848 by Bernicia 	May 22
Hawker 		Henry 		old resident Clutha 		May 20
Houghton 	EP 		traffic manager USS Co. aged 55 March 30
Johnstone 	John		Fairfax 			March 12
Kalnosky 	Count 		aged 66 			February 13
Kemp 		Major 		famous Maori chief aged 75 	April 15
Kirle 		Professor 	aged 70 			March
Maskell 	W M 		registrar NZ University 	May 1
Marks 		Henry Stacy 	aged 68 			January 11
Meade 		Sir Robert  	Colonial Office 		January 10 
Miller 		Mrs Marion 	passenger by Philip Laing 	April 1
Mills 		Mrs 		of Green Island aged 71 arrived 1849 February 25
Milstead 	Mrs 		death announced arrived Ajax 1849 March 9
McGill 		Sarah 		aged 65 old resident of Port 	February 28
McMillan 	Angus 		aged 78 arrived by ship Mooltan 1849 March 6
Nicolimi 	Signor 		Patti's husband 		January 19
Orton 		Arthur 		Tichborne claimant 		April 1
Palmer 		Sir Arthur 	Lieutenant Governor Queensland 	March 20
Parnel 		Mrs	 	mother CS Parnell 		March 26
playfair 	Lord 						May 31
Pyke 		Mrs 		relict Hon V Pyke aged 73 	May 7
Payne 		James 		novelist 			March 26
Raynbird 	H and A Thom 	drowned Otago Harbour 		March 24
Robinson 	S J 		cricketer 			April 22 
Selwyn 		Bishop	 	aged 53 			February 13
Stansfield 	Right Hon. J. 	aged 78 			February 18
Tennyson 	Frederick 	aged 88 			February 28
Thom A 		and H Raynbird 	drowned Otago Harbour 		March 24
Thornton 	Rev. Robert 	Waikiwi aged 53 		April 1
Tunzleman 	John von 	who explored Wakatipu before goldfields May 20
Urquhart 	Mrs Harry 	Palmerston 			April 29
Villiers 	Right Hon. C P 					January 17
Vecker 		Father 		of Winton  			February
Willard 	Miss Frances 	aged 59 			February March 18
Williams 	Colonel 	NZ War veteran 			March 17
Wilson 		Mrs W 		early Milton settler 		February 15
Shipping Items
Helen Alty, 	barque, lost on voyage to Klondyke; 40 drowned March 24
Laira, 		barque, sank by Wakatipu at Victoria wharf April 2
Laira 		Court of Inquiry May 4
Laira 		sold May 9
Mataura s.s. 	wrecked entrance Magellan strait January 27
Mecca and Lindula collision 53 lives lost May 27
Rotoiti ss 	arrives - new steamer USS Co.
Manawatu 	USS Co. vessel sunk in Hobson's Bay by collision with ss Edina April 27
Great storm on Australian east coast eight vessels and 33 lives lost May 6
Terrific weather great loss of life English Channel and North Sea March 28
Fiftieth anniversary arrival Philip Laing celebrated April 15

ow1898dec29pg22.jpg (399359 bytes)  ow1898dec29pg22b.jpg (289969 bytes)  ow1898dec29pg22c.jpg (219623 bytes)  ow1898dec29pg22d.jpg (183049 bytes)

Otago Witness 29 December 1898 page 23 & 24 

Bismarck 	Prince 						July 30
Baden-Powell 	Sir G.S. 					November 21
Bain 		Mrs James 	aged 77 arrived Otago 1849 	September 24 
Barkly 		Sir Henry 	aged 83 			October 22
Barr 		Archibald 	chief postmaster in Otago for 30 years August 20
Barron 		Mrs, 		mother Hon. J.G. Ward; aged 68 	November 10
Bayard 		Hon. Mr T F 	aged 70 			September 29
Begg 		Adam 		aged 86 arrived Blundell 1848 	August 18
Bell		Sir F D 	NZ statesman 			July 15
Bell 		George Meredith	 Wantwood  			June 9
Black 		William 	novelist aged 57 		December 11
Brebner 	Mrs Mary 	passenger by John Wickliffe 	July 12
Bunbury 	Mr C 		old resident of Dunedin aged 83 September 29
Buchanan 	John F.L.S. 	early colonist of Otago aged 79 October 18
Byrnes 		Mr T J. 	Premier of Queensland 		September 28
Caird 		Professor 					August 1
Campbell 	James 		old resident Blue Spur 		October 22
Castro 		Rev. C de Castro formerly in Trust Office arrived NZ early fifties
Chapman 	Robert 		arrived Blundell 1848 		September 10
Chinn 		Mr H E  	death 				June 18
Chisholm 	John 						September 10 
Cooper 		G.S. 		aged 73 			August 16
Dawson 		Matthew 	renowned English horsetrainer 	August 19
Mrs 		Dick 		shot by Mrs McWilliam in Wellington October 27
Fairchild 	Captain 	many years in charge Government steamer  July 4 
Finlay 		Robert 		aged 72 old identity 		July 23
Fenton 		Ven. Archdeacon	 first Anglican clergyman for Otago June 28
Forsaith 	Rev. 		aged 84 			November 30
Foster 		Rev. G 		first Anglican minister at Timaru September 24
Fowler 		Sir John 	aged 81 			November 22
Gibbs 		Mr W S 		dead, accountant 		August 12
Grant 		Mr F 		hotelkeeper Milton	 	September 27
Grey 		Lady		wife of Sir G Grey 		September 6
Grey 		Sir G George 	aged 86 			September 20
Grey 		Sir G 		buried at St Paul's London  	September 27
Hookham 	Henry	 	one time chess champion of NZ 	November 24
Houlahan 	M 		aged 58 			December 20
Kane 		Bro. G.M. 	Orangemen		 	December 21
Kilgor 		Mrs J 		arrived Otago Feb. 15 1854 	September 20
Kitching 	Mr J F 		Treviot 			December 18
Jenkins 	WG 		arrived Victoria 1851, NZ 1862 	July 7
Jenner 		Bishop 						September 21
Jenner 		Sir W 		famous physician 		December 13
Lathom 		Lord 		aged 61				November 20
Larnach 	Hon. W. J. M 	Funeral 			October 17
Lindsay 	Mrs John 	death announced; 38 years Balclutha district October 21
Lipton 		Sir T proposes to build a yacht to compete for America Cup August 3
Lynn-Linton 	novelist 	aged 76 			July 15
McLelland 	William 	schoolmaster' arrived 1860 	July 9
McAuliffe 	James 		of Caversham shot 		July 16
McFarlane 	Duncan 		arrived 1858 			August 30
Manning 	Justice Sydney 	aged 87 			August 8
Mantelli 	king of Samoa 					August 22
Martin 		Lady 		(Helen Faucit) actress 		October 31
Meir 		Herr 		founder Nord Deutsher Lloyd 	November 20
Miller 		Walter 		aged 71; arrived Otago 1849; Miller's Flat named after him. July 15
Moore 		Charles 	aged 62 			August 14
Mouat 		Charles M 					July 28
Nelson 		Samuel 		dies in Green Island Church 	September 4
Plimsoll 	Samuel  	arrived Southland 1832 		June 3
Printz 		George 						September 8
Pullar 		Alexander 	arrived Otago 1860 		July 12
Queen 		of Denmark 	aged 81 			September 29
Reed 		GM 		journalist  			November 12 
Rees 		W G  		Wakatipu pioneer aged 71 	October 31
Ronaldson 	Mrs 		wife of Rev. W Ronaldson 	September 13
Ross 		John 		dog catches a Notornis Mantelli	August 7
Rothschild 	Ferdinand James de, baron aged 59 		December 17
Scott 		JK 		murdered Motu 			July 22
Shand 		John 		death announced arrived by the Phoebe Dunbar 1850 October 19
Sheppard 	Hon Joseph 	M.L.C. 				October 25
Somerville 	William 	arrived by Blundrell 1848  	June 29
Smith 		Joseph 		death  				July 30 see July 22 Scott
Stewart 	Hon. W. Downie M.L.C. aged 57
Thomson 	Boy F J 	killed by Morington tram 	December 10
Tyson 		James 		Australian runholder aged 78 	December 4
Ulyett 				cricketer  			June 20
Wadie 		Henry 		usher Supreme Court arrived 1858 August 30
Winchilsea 	Earl 						September 8
Shipping Items
C.C. Funk, barque, wrecked Flinders Island, 11 drowned August 14
Clan Drummond wrecked Bay of Biscay, 37 drowned December 4
Derwent, s.s.  	collides with Mahinapu at Queen's wharf, Melbourne December 15
Grafton 	wrecked off the coast of Tasmania  June 18
Hollinwood 	burning of ship at sea September 12
Mapourika, s.s.	ashore at Greymouth October 1
Mohegan 	wrecked on Manacle rocks Falmouth; 80 lives lost October 15
Mokoia, 	arrival of the , U.S.S. Co.'s new steamer 
Southern Cross 	sails from London for Antarctica August 23
Southern Cross 	with M Borchgrevinck's Antarctica arrives in Hobart December 28
Southern Cross 	sails for Antarctica from Hobart December 17
Otago Witness Thursday March 3 1898 page 33
ANDERSON - On the 24th February, at the hospital, Captain John J. Anderson (late  s.s. Waikare); aged 57 years

Otago Witness Thursday March 3 1898 Page 23
Captain John Anderson
We regret to record the death of Captain John Anderson, which occurred in
the hospital at 3 a.m. on the 23 ult., as the result of the injuries he
sustained on the steamer Waikare at Preservation Inlet early in the month.
Captain Anderson joined the service of the Union Steam Ship Company nearly
22 years ago, and since that time was constantly in their employment. He was
in charge of a great number of ships, and had a successful and honourable
career. Prior to his joining the Union Company he was for 11 years in the
New Zealand pilot service, and for two years as first mate in the employment
in the New Zealand Steam Navigation Company. He joined the Union Company as
first officer of the Taranaki in July, 1876, when the steamer and others of
the New Zealand Steam Navigation Company's became the property of the Union
Company. He then held a master's mariner's foreign-going certificate, and
was promoted to be master of the s.s. Wellington in March, 1881. He
subsequently commanded the Wanaka, the Penguin, the Rotorua, the Hauroto,
the Tekapo, the Rotokino, the Waihora, and the Manapouri, and was
transferred from the last-mentioned steamer to the command of the company's
new steamer the Waikare in August last. For a long time Captain Anderson was
a resident of Dunedin - his home was here, - but some years since he removed
to Sydney on account of the health of his children. His home has since been
in Sydney, and his wife died there. He leaves two sons, one of whom is an
officer in the services of the Adelaide Steam Navigation Company.
	The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon, a large number of the
deceased's friends following his remains from the hospital to the place of
interment at the Southern Cemetery. Among those present were many of the
Union Steam Ship Company's employees, besides a representative gathering of
citizens. The coffin was covered with a memorial wreath  forwarded by the
offices of the Waikare. It was a beautiful design, in front of an anchor,
the ship's name appearing on the fluke in leaves of red carnations on a
background of white summer chrysanthemums. The Shipmasters' Association of
New Zealand sent a handsome anchor, composed of very choice greenhouse
flowers and maidenhair fern, with the letters "S.A.N.Z." made with blue and
white flowers. The seamen of the Waikare sent a lovely anchor, and the Port
Chalmers staff of the Union Company a beautiful wreath of greenhouse flowers
and maidenhair fern. Floral tributes were also sent by the Union Company's
head office staff, the Melbourne, Hobart, Christchurch, Wellington,
Lyttelton, and Westport staffs, the cooks of the Waikare, the local
shipmasters, the hospital nurses, and a large number of private individuals.
Otago Witness Thursday February 24 1898 Page 19 column 4
Mr Thomas Bracken
Mr Thomas Bracken died peacefully in the presence of his wife and Charles,
his 12 year old son, Mr A. Thomson, and Mr J.P. Armstrong, in the Dunedin
Hospital on the 16th at a quarter to 10 in the evening,  from goitre, a
trouble with he had been afflicted for some years. The deceased gentleman
was b. on December 21 1843, in Ireland, and arrived in Victoria at the age
of 12. "After experiencing," says Mr Mennell in his "Australasian
Biography," "the ups and downs of colonial life for several years Mr Bracken
went to Otago in 1869, and connected himself shortly afterwards with
journalism in that province. He was connected with the Otago Guardian in the
first year or two of its existence, and subsequently founded a weekly paper
called the Saturday Advertiser, which he conducted with ability." Mr
Bracken, on ceasing his connection with the Advertiser, left Dunedin, the
occasion being marked by a public presentation. He returned to Dunedin, and
was connected for some years with the Morning Herald, which was subsequently
the Evening Herald, until the property was sold. He paid a visit to
Australia, where he engaged in press work and in lecturing, and it was
during his residence on the other side that he wrote his beautiful poem
"God's Own Country," in which he pays a tribute of praise to New Zealand. On
coming back to this colony he received an appointment as parliament reader,
which he held for some years, and which he resigned on account of the
development of the goitre. On leaving Wellington he once more took up
residence in Dunedin, and here his friends rallied round him and afforded
him substantial help. During the last two years he joined the Roman Catholic
Church. Mr Bracken's parliamentary career was not a long one. In 1881 he was
elected to represent Dunedin Central in the House of Representatives,
securing 340 votes, while Mr Cargill polled 320, Mr Bastings 263, Mr Dickson
76, and Mr Graham 43. At the election of 1884 Mr Bracken lost his seat, being
defeated by Mr J.B. Bradshaw, who polled 499 votes to Mr Bracken's 496.
Mr Bracken entered Parliament again in October of 1886, having been
re-elected for Dunedin on Mr Bradshaw's death. On that occasion Mr Bracken
polled 501 votes, Mr W. Hutchison 255, Mr C.R. Chapman 80, and Mr Darling 3.
He did not offer himself as a candidate at the general election of 1887. As
a politician Mr Bracken was a staunch supporter of Liberal measures, but was
never a bitter man. When returning thanks for his election in December,
1881, he declared "that he was tired to no party, and would work for all
classes - for justice to all." He had many warm friends on both sides of the
House. In his nature there was a great deal of real Irish humour, and his
famous exploit in the House, when he recited the poem "Behave Yoursel' Afore
Folk," will long be remembered in the history of the New Zealand Parliament.
Among his other comical productions which flowed from his pen were sketches
entitled "Paddy Murphy on Lambton Kay," which he contributed to his paper
with much success. It is his larger works, however, that brought fame to
him. These included
"Paddy Murphy's Budget,"
"Lays of the Land of the Maori and Moa,"
"Beyond the Tomb, and Other Poems,"
"Flowers of the Freeland,"
"Pulpit Lectures,"
"Musings in Maori Land" (Dunedin, 1890)his last and fullest collection.
Mr Bracken was connected with several friendly societies in Dunedin, in which
he took a deep interest, and for a number of years he was a prominent member
of the Caledonian Society, to whom more than one of his poems is dedicated.

The funeral of the late Mr Thomas Bracken took place on the 18th inst. The
remains were followed from the hospital to their last resting place in the
Northern Cemetery by a number of leading citizens, amongst whom were Messrs
A. Thomson, J.P. Armstrong, D.R. White, R. Wilson, James McIndoe, James
Watson, H.J. Walter, W. Reid, John McIndoe, J. Liston, S.G. Smith, J.R.
Thornton, A. Burton, W. Hutchinson. D. McNiccol, D.H. Hastings, A. Sligo,
M.H.R., W.A.W. Wathen, Rev. Dr. Waddell, and the Hon. D. Pinkerton.

Ballads of Thomas Bracken. 1975 1st edition. The Dunmore Press, Palmerston North. The poems of Thomas Bracken, the author of God Defend New Zealand, who died in 1898. In Praise of NZ: God's Own Country; The Tramp of the Fire Brigade; Dunedin from the Bay; etc ...

Bracken: Poet, journalist, politician, b. Clones, Ireland 21 December, 1843; d. at Dunedin, New Zealand, 16 February, 1898. Having lost his parents he emigrated in his twelfth year to Victoria, Australia where he worked at many jobs and learned much about life that stood to him in his writings and later on in life. He went to Otago, New Zealand, as a shearer in 1869, and published there a small volume of verse, "Flights among the Flax", which brought him into some notice. In Dunedin, he was associated with the commercial staffs of "The New Zealand Tablet", "The Otago Guardian", and the "Morning Herald", and was founder and part proprietor of the "Saturday Advertiser", which was a literary and commercial success only so long as he directly controlled it. He was twice returned to Parliament (in 1884 and 1886) for Dunedin in the Liberal interest. He died in the Dunedin hospital. He is best known in New Zealand and Australia for his verse.  Other poetic publications in book form : "Flowers of the Freeland"; "Behind the Tomb and Other Poems"; "The Land of the Maori and the Moa";  Bracken's themes are mostly local and colonial.  He often used the pseudonyms Paddy Murphy and Didymus. Vincent Pyke.

The Timaru Herald January 1 1870. The Boy and the Year by Thomas Bracken, Waimate
The Timaru Herald January 1 1870. The Boy and the Year by Thomas Bracken, Waimate   

Evening Post, 21 December 1943, Page 7
New Zealand's national poet, Thomas Bracken, author of "Not Understood," was born in Ireland one hundred years ago today, writes B.M. The poem that made Bracken renowned is frequently published in England and America without mentioning the author's name; very often over the signature "Anonymous"; and occasionally it has been appropriated by some individual and published as being the fruitage of his own brain. The origin of the poem has been a matter of speculation, but an account of the circumstances that gave rise to it has been recently given by an admirer of the poet who was on friendly terms with a gentleman associated with Bracken in a journal in Dunedin and had the circumstances related to him by Bracken's contemporary; Bracken had applied for the editorship of a recently-established Catholic journal, but was unsuccessful because of certain views which he held. Shortly after, the poem "Not Understood" appeared. Bracken's first contact with Australia was as a lad of 13, when he was sent out to an uncle at Geelong, a farmer. A life on the land did not appeal to the youngster and he became an apprentice to chemistry, and later came to New Zealand, arriving here in 1869. Later in life he returned to Australia, but his heart was in New Zealand. Back here, he wrote the poem, "God's Own Country," which, with others, was published in a volume in Wellington in 1893. The volume, which was dedicated to James Mills, as a tribute to his work in fostering trade between Australia and "God's Own Country," contained a! note concerning the title he bestowed on New Zealand: "A New Zealander walking along Collins Street, Melbourne, met a countryman and inquired, 'How do you like Australia?' 'Oh, it's a wonderful country,' replied the other, 'but I would sooner live in "God's own country." Thomas Bracken was born in a j small town in Ireland named Clonee on December 21, 1843. Clonee, with a population of 500, is on the high road leading from Dublin to Enniscorthy, County Meath, Ireland in Bracken's time was undergoing great stress political turmoil, the great famine of the forties, and the fine flower of the j nation's youth streaming to other countries for the living that eluded them' in their own depleted Ireland of half its population. Left an orphan, young Bracken in his teens was sent out to an uncle in Australia, having lived in Ireland sufficiently long to acquire the taste inherent in his countrymen�a love of poetry and song. The dozen years which Bracken spent in Australia added to his experience of life and furnished him with pabulem for his literary career. He immortalised his impressions of the infant town as viewed from the deck of the sailing ship in "Dunedin From the Bay."
    JOURNALISM IN DUNEDIN. Tom Bracken was associated with some of Dunedin's earliest papers. He joined a journal called "The Otago Guardian," and later founded, in collaboration with the Hon. John Bathgate, an early Parliamentarian, "The Saturday Advertiser," Mr. Bathgate providing the financial and the poet the intellectual capital. It was while he was editing this paper that Bracken inaugurated a competition for the musical setting of the poem which he hoped to have adopted as New Zealand's National Anthem. In order to obtain the best setting the services of three of Australia's leading musicians were obtained to judge the competition. In making the award they were to act independently of each other, and, remarkable to relate, each, adjudged a young schoolmasters effort as being the best. His name was J. J. Woods, of Lawrence, a small town some fifty miles from Dunedin, who. composed the musical setting on the night conditions of the competition arrived at his home town. "God Defend New Zealand" is now established as the Dominion's national song. The Government of New Zealand recently purchased the copyright of "God Defend New Zealand" from the music firm holding it, so that the public might be free to publish and use it. In the late seventies Bracken aspired to Parliamentary honours and was, elected to represent Dunedin in the House of Representatives in 1881. He brought to the deliberations of Parliament something of his rollicking Irish temperament. On one occasion when a contentious issue provoked a debate that detracted from the dignity of Parliament, Tom recited a poem, the title of which indicates its tenor, "Behave Yourself Afore Folk." A request by a member that he sing it was responded to and members with any pretentions to vocal powers joined in the chorus with the poet. Bracken died in Dunedin in 1898.

Otago Witness Thursday March 3 1898 Page 23
Mr Robert Brown on the 17th inst. Robert Brown, or Bob Brown was a
halfcaste. His father was one of those adventurous spirits who sought the
shoes of New Zealand in the early days to engage in seal fishing, and his
mother was a Maori women belonging to a tribe on Stewart Island. Her name
was Whare Rimu and her father was Tapui, of the hapu or sub-tribe, Kaite
Ruahikihiki Kai te Oteumarewa te Ruapu me te Puhi o Rakuriora. "Bob" Brown
was born at Codfish Island, which heleft as a boy, coming to Waikouaiti.
There he was married to Jane Palmer, a halfcaste, daughter of Edward Palmer,
one of the early whalers. He came out with his wife to the Taieri kaika near
Henley some 48 years ago, where he lived till the time of his death. He was
a first class pit sawyer. He was also a good carpenter, and built his own
and several other houses. He used to do his own horseshoeing. He suffered a
lot from asthma. Latterly he was seized with consumption, supervening upon
influenza. His wife predeceased him by three years, and of his family of 10,
six are left to mourn their loss. The latter are the wife of Mr Thos. Pratt,
M.H.R., the wife of Mr E. Palmer at Taieri Mouth, and the widow of Captain
Howell at Riverton. He was buried in the Native Cemetery at the kaika, last
Sunday, the funeral service being conducted by some members of the Plymouth
Brethren.  One incident of the funeral was the wailing of a relative in true
Maori style as the coffin was taken away from the house which struck the
European ear as being both wild and mournful.
Obituary - Otago Witness Thursday March 3 1898 Page 23
Mr D. Bannatyne
The death occurred on Tuesday of another old identity in the person of Mr D.
Bannatyne of Waihola, whom the outbreak of the gold diggings brought from
Victoria by the Asa Elridge in January 1862. On arrival here Mr Bannatyne
engaged in storing keeping and hotel keeping at Wetherstones for some time,
after-wards coming to Dunedin to take the Sussex Hotel. Of late years he has
been living on his farm at Waihola, but his death occurred in his old home
the Sussex Hotel, where he was nursed by his eldest daughter, the present
proprietress. The deceased was a prominent Mason during his residence in
page 29 Death
Cargill - On the 2nd January, 1898, at Landsdowne, British Columbia, John
Cargill (one of the Otago pioneers); in his seventy-seventh year.

Otago Witness Feb. 17th 1898 page 23  column 3
Death of Mr John Cargill
Information has been received of the death at Landsdowne, in the Okanagan
district, British Columbia, of Mr John Cargill, brother of his Worship the
Mayor, who was a prominent figure in the early history of this portion of
the colony. While a young man Mr Cargill served for a short time in the
Royal Navy, and spent two or three years on the West India station in the
brig Ringdove and the frigate Seringapatam, having left the service and
returned to Great Britain he made a voyage about 1841 to Tasmanian and Port
Phillip, and, after a cruise among the Pacific Islands, settled in Ceylon,
where he was engaged as a coffee planter up to the year 1846. Returning,
once more to England he was in time to assist his father, Captain Cargill,
in the formation of the Otago settlement, and he came out with him in the
John Wickliff. He was one of the earliest runholders in Otago. His first run
was on the coast line at Tokomairiro. He afterwards took up the Taieri
Plain. On the outbreak of the diggings he removed to what was then looked
upon as back country, taking up what afterwards became the well-known Teviot
run. Here he joined in partnership with his son-in-law, Mr E.R. Anderson,
and Cargill and Anderson's run was long known as one of the finest in the
South Island, having a flock of 55,000 well-bred merino sheep. They
afterwards took up a large property in the south, known as Gladfield.
Unfortunately, owing to the irruption of rabbits and the breakdown in wool
values, their ventures resulted in heavy loss, their experience being shared
by many of the pioneer settlers, and both Mr Cargill and Mr Anderson turned
their eyes to other countries. Mr Cargill left New Zealand for England in
1884. He found his way to British Columbia about 1887, and continued to
reside there, with his youngest daughter, up to the time of his death, which
occurred at the ripe age of 77 years. While in Otago he took an active part
and leading part in the political movements of the time. He was one of the
first representatives of the province elected to the General Assembly which
met in Auckland immediately after the constitution of the provinces, being
returned unopposed in October, 1853, in conjunction with Mr W.H. Cutten, to
represent the country district of Otago. Mr Cargill went up to Auckland in
the company with his father and the late Mr J. Macandrew to attend the
parliamentary session. In 1855 he was elected member of the Tokomairiro
district, and in the same year was re-elected M.H.R. for the Dunedin country
district with his father. Mr Cargill also took a lively interest in the
volunteer movement. During one of his visits to the Home country he joined
the Edinburgh corps and became ensign therein; he also attended the School
of Musketry at Hythe, and obtained a certificate as a first-class marksman.
On returning to the colony he used his knowledge to help in the
establishment of volunteering, and he became and continued for some years
colonel in the command of the militia and volunteers in the Dunedin
district. Mr Cargill was married, shortly after his arrival in the colony,
to the eldest daughter of the late Mr John Jones, but she died in January
1868, and he subsequently married a daughter of the late Dr Featherson. Of
the first marriage there was a family of four daughters and two sons.
Charlotte, the eldest daughter, married Mr Charles Ireland (son of Mr
Ireland,Q.C.), barrister, and now resides with him and their family in
British Columbia; Madeline married John, son of the late Mr J. Hyde Harris,
and now lives in Europe with one daughter; the third daughter married Mr.
E.R. Anderson, and she also resides in Europe; the youngest daughter is in
British Columbia, and was with her father at the time of his death; and the
sons John and Edward, who have settled in British Columbia. The family of
the second marriage consisted of three children, of whom two survive, - the
elder son being a doctor of medicine at present in South Africa, and the
younger son being with his mother in England. The deceased gentleman was a
man of high personal character, who won warm esteem of his fellow colonists.
age 29 Otago Witness Feb. 17th 1898 Death
Hodgkins - On the 9th February, at Nevada, Roslyn, William Mathew Hodgkins
in his sixty-fifth year.

Otago Witness Feb. 17th 1898 page 9  column 2
Death of Mr W.M. Hodgkins
Our readers will learn with much regret of the death, which occurred shortly
after 2 o'clock on the 9th, of Mr W.M. Hodgkins, solicitor, of this city (Dunedin).
The late William Mathew Hodgkins was born in Liverpool in June 1833. When a
youth he was employed for some years in London in the Patents Office, which
he left in 1856 to take up a poet in Waterlow and Sons' establishment. He
afterwards went to Paris, where he resided for two years in the Latin
Quarter (rendered famous in "Trilby"), during which time he gained a good
knowledge of art, and thus laid the foundation for many successes which
attended his efforts in that direction in later years. He came out to
Melbourne in 1859 in the ship White Star, and after a stay there of a few
months he left in the Aldinga for New Zealand, arriving in Otago early in
1860. In Dunedin he entered the service of the legal firm of Gillies and
Richmond, and subsequently he became an articled clerk to Messrs Howorth and
Barton. Some years later, on Mr Barton's retirement, he joined Mr Howorth in
the business, but for the last 13 years he had been practising alone. He
never took any active part in politics or municipal affairs. Outside his
business he devoted himself to the study of art, in which, he is well known,
he rose to a position of considerable emenence, so that he ranked as a
worker in water colours with two of the greatest of New Zealand artists -
John Gully and J.C. Richmond. In the pursuance of his art studies he
travelled over a great part of the colony, and everywhere in his journeys he
faithfully depicted many of the world-famed beauty spots of our colony.
There is little doubt that the works of his brush and pencil will be
appreciated more and more as time goes on. He was one of the principal
founders of the Otago Art Society, which was formed in 1876. The late Mr
Irvine was its first president, on his death in 1880 Mr Hodgkins was
unanimously elected in his stead - a post which he held continuously up to
the time of his death. For the last 18 months he had been ailing. The cause
of death being Bright's disease. In 1866 Mr Hodgkins married Miss Parker,
daughter of Mr John S. Parker, who was at one time coroner of Sydney. He is
survived by his widow and six of a family - four sons and two daughters.
Each of the daughters - one of whom is the wife of Mr W.H. Field, solicitor,
of Wellington - possesses in a marked degree the artistic ability of her
father. The funeral took place on Friday. The remains were followed from the
deceased gentleman's late resident in Roslyn to the Northern Cemetery by a
representative gathering of the legal profession and of the Otago Art
Society, and as the cortege passed along the main thoroughfare its numbers
were swelled by constant additions. Amongst those who were present were Dr
Scott, Messrs John White, J.F. Woodhouse, E.P. Kenyon, J.R. Sinclair, F.R.
Chapman, E.R. Ussher, John Davie, R.S. Cantrell, P. Goyen, L.W. Wilson, A.
Carrick, T.S. Graham, H. Webb, A. Holmes, John Wilkinson, J.A. Park, A.H.
Burton, W.E. Reynolds, L.H. Reynolds, J. Mitchell, F.H. Morice, F. Mallard,
H. Turton, R.S. McGowan, R. Haweridge, E.B. Hayward, C.F. Glegg, W.H.
Pearson, and Hon. W.D. Stewart.
Otago Witness Thursday March 3 1898 page 3
Mrs Sarah McGill
M'Gill - On the 23rd February, at her residence, Elm row, Dunedin, Sarah, 
relict of the late Captain Neil McGill; aged 66 years. Deeply regretted.
Wellington and Melbourne papers please copy.

Otago Witness Thursday March 3 1898 Page 23
Mrs Sarah McGill
Another old identity passed away last week in the person of the late Mrs
Sarah McGill, who was buried at Port Chalmers on Saturday. The deceased lady
was born at Paisley in the year 1833, and after her marriage accompanied her
husband, the late Captain Neil McGill to Melbourne in the early fifties.
Shortly afterwards Captain and Mrs McGill came to Port Chalmers and settled
down, and there three of their family were born. Captain McGill was master
of the p.s. Samson and other vessels for many years, and both the deceased
lady and he were highly respected at the Port.
Otago Witness Thursday March 3 1898 Page 23
Obituary Mrs John Mills
The funeral of another old identity took place on Friday last, when the
remains of Mr John Mills were interred in the Green island Cemetery. Mrs
Mills, whose death occurred at the ripe old age of 71, was the eldest
daughter of the late Mr David Calder, of Forbury, who arrived in the colony
with his family by the ship Mariner in the year 1849. Shortly after their
arrival, his daughter, the deceased lady, was married to Mr John Mills, who
was one of the passengers in the Philip Laing. Mr and Mrs Mills were the
first settlers in the Green Island district, and as the case with nearly all
the first settlers, Mrs Mills led a very active life. She was a thorough
business women. Mrs Mills leaves a grown-up family of three sons and six
daughters, all of whom are residents of Otago, two of the daughters and one
son holding positions under the Education Board. Mrs Mills's death will be
felt keenly by relatives and friends, and the Green Island district is made 
poorer by the removal of so worthy and respected a resident.
Otago Witness Thursday March 17 1898 Page 13 column 4
Death of Mr Cunningham Smith
London, March 9
The late Mr W. Cunningham Smith was a son of a member of the firm of Lewis,
Potter, and Co., of Glasgow, and came to Otago about 18 years ago. He was at
first employed on stations that are now the property of the New Zealand and
Australian Land Company, but subsequently, with two partners, took up the
Haldon run, in the Mackenzie Country, and worked it for about 10 or 12
years, when they sold the run and dissolved partnership. Mr Smith was them
employed by the New Zealand and Australian Land Company, and took charge of
the Dunedin office. Next he became manager in Dunedin for the New Zealand
Refrigerating Company, and, retiring from his position in 1894, accepted the
position of manager of the Southland Frozen Meat Company, this involving his
departure for Invercargill. Prior to his leaving Dunedin he was presented by
the merchants and others with a substantial purse of sovereigns as a token
of their esteem. He had held the office of the president and also that of
treasurer of the Otago Agricultural and Pastoral Society just before his
removal from Dunedin. He was next offered a superior appointment by the New
Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company to go to London to take charge of
the company's produce department. To fulfill this engagement Mr Smith left
Dunedin on the 24th December 1896. He was not then in the best of health. He
was about 55 or 56 years of age. He was married to the widow of the late Mr
James Davidson, and she accompanied him to England. There were no children
born of the marriage.

Otago Daily Times March 22 1892
Many of the early settlers will regret to hear of the death of Mr Mark DALE, formerly inspector of stock, which occurred at Milburn. The deceased gentleman, who was 75 years of age, was a native of Yorkshire and resided for some time at Sledmere, where, we understand, he was a tenant to Sir Tatton Sykes. He came out to Victoria about 35 years ago and arrived in Otago early in the 60s. He was employed as a drover for the firm of Messrs. Wright, Stephenson & Co., when travelling was no easy task. He subsequently became sub-inspector of sheep, with control of the Waitahuna district. On his retirement from that office he purchased a farm at Milburn and he has remained in that district ever since. Being an excellent judge of sheep, he was frequently chosen to act in that capacity at shows in both Otago and Canterbury. Of late years, his health has been failing and he died after a few days illness at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr John Sutherland, at Milburn.