Ship 'CORIOLANUS' from London to Lyttelton 1879 7 Pt Chalmers 1880

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports
Ship 'CORIOLANUS' from London
New Zealand Bound

 to Lyttelton, New Zealand 1879

The Star, Monday 7th April 1879 page 2 column A
The Timaru Herald
Tuesday 8th April 1879 page 2 column A

Port of Lyttelton
Arrived April 6 1879 - Coriolanus, ship, 1045 tons, Cawse, from London, N.Z. Shipping Co, agents. Passengers -  30

The ship Coriolanus arrived from London yesterday, after a good passage of 90 days from Gravesend. The Coriolanus is an iron ship of 1045 tons register, built on the Clyde in 1876, and owned by Messrs J. Patten, Jun., and Co., London. She has very comfortable saloon accommodation indeed, and is fitted with all the modern improvements, together with steam-winch, condenser, &c. The ship has come under charter to the New Zealand Shipping Co., and brings 30 passengers all told - 1 saloon, 11 second and 18 steerage; Captain Cawse was last in the Colony in the ship Ocean Mail to Auckland. The ship averaging 250 miles per day for 22 days. No sickness occurred among the passengers. Was taken in tow by the p.s. Lyttelton, and anchored at 1.30 p.m. off Rhodes' Bay. No ice was seen, and no vessels were spoken during the passage.

Barezincky 	Mr B.A.
Cawse 		Mrs

Second cabin:
Drummond 	Mr Hy. S.
Gough 		Miss Margaret
Nicholls 	Mr Percy
Paul 		Mr Hy. 
Paul 		Mrs
Paul 		Miss E
Roberts 	Mr W.N. 
Shaw 		Mr Charles 
Thompson 	Mr and Mrs John
Thorpe 		Mr Francis

Crawley		J. H.
Cross  		Walter
Cross  		Emma
Cross  		George W
Cross  		Charlotte
Cross 		Arthur
Edmiston 	William
Harris 		Jane
Kimber 		Clara
Morris 		George
Morris 		Lucy
Morris 		Annie
Morris 		Mary
Norris 		John
Riggs 		Jeanette
Riggs 		Olive
Salde 		A.H.
Salde 		Emeline

Otago Witness Saturday 21 February 1880 page 14

Arrival of the Coriolanus
Arrived Sunday, Coriolanus, 1056 tons, from London. 
A full rigged ship under charter to the New Zealand Shipping Company. Towed to Deborah Bay. She was built in 1876 by Messrs McMillan and Son, of Dumbarton, for Messrs John Patton, jun., and Co., of London, and is now on her third voyage. The first trip was made to Calcutta and back to London (six months and ten days) From London is proceed to London and back. and thence loaded for Otago. She is commanded by Captain Cawse and brings 39 passengers and 1700 tons of cargo. Having been built for the East Indian trade she does not process very large cabin accommodation but what she has is extremely neat and elegant. The panelling is of bird's eye maple and ebony.. She left Gravened on Nov. 16 1879... Neither ice nor wreckage was seen during the passage across the Southern ocean.

Otago Witness Saturday 10 January 1880 & 28 Feb. 1880 page 14

Per New Zealand Shipping Company's Coriolanus (Captain Cawse), from London November 16th 1879: 
Arrived at Port Chalmers 22 February 1880, 103 days out.
Saloon - 
Mr Arthur Tibbett, Mr Herbert J. Ellis, and Mr Francis E. French.

Baker 		Frederick
Cragg 		Alice A
Cragg 		Annie
Cragg 		Joseph
Cragg 		Edwin
Cragg 		John W
Curran 		James
Curran 		Maggie
Dodson 		Arthur N
Hammond 	Eleanor
Hammond 	Gertrude
Hammond 	Joseph
Hammond 	Lillian
Hammond 	Mary
Herrington 	Richard (Hewingshaw - from the Otago Witness Feb.28 1880)
Horton 		Thomas 
Kroyd 		Edmund A
Leith 		George
Lindsay 	George
Lindsay 	Mrs 
Lindsay 	George
Lindsay 	John
Lindsay 	Isabella and child
Lindsay 	Thomas 
Lindsay 	William
Mooney 		Thomas Mr
Mooney 		Mrs
Parkinson 	Robert (Perkinson - from the Otago Witness Feb.28 1880)
Santon 		John R
Spencer 	W H
Spencer   	Mary
Spencer 	Sarah A
Watts 		Annie
Watts 		Eleanor
Watts 		Evan
Watts 		Mary E

Otago Witness Saturday 21 February 1880 page 14
Voyage account

Arrival of the Padishah
The ship Padishah, under charter to Messrs Shaw, Savill, and CO., from London, arrived off Otago Heads on the 25th February and was towed into anchorage off Carye's Bay at 1 p.m. by the p.s. Koputai.. The Padishah is an iron clipper ship built in 1876 at Greenwich, by Mr R. Stirling, under the supervision of Captain Fergusson, for Messrs J and W Stewart of Greenwich. She was constructed for the East India passenger and coolie trade. Her length is 236 ft, breadth of beam 36ft 6" and depth of hold 22ft. She carries six boats. She she was launched she has made passages from Liverpool, and from that port to Calcutta, thence to Demerara and Barbadoes, and back to London, where she loaded for Otago. She is consigned to Messrs Dalgety and Co., and brings 1500 tons of cargo and 168 passengers, of whom three are saloon, 28 second class, and 137 intermediate and steerage. She is under the command of Captain W.J. Minns; Mr J Walton, M.D., Mr J Ferguson purser. The deck officers are - Mr Sutherland, chief; Mr Hantie (formerly of the Lady Jocelyn) second; and Mr C Davis, third. Left London on Nov. 30 and swung the ship for the adjustment of her compasses at Greenhithe..

Timaru Herald Wednesday Nov. 17 1875
The Hero in a Storm 
(condensed) published in the Auckland Star

The Hero cleared Sydney Heads at 5.30 p.m. on Wednesday, the 20th October, weather calm -an ominous calm though, for Captain Logan told me that storm signals were out. We ran into a heavy sea. About 7 am a solid green wall arose and tumbled in on deck with an awful weight, lifting the starboard quarter boat, snapping the solid iron davit as a carrot. Captain Logan, Mr Bell, Mr Weisner and all hands are clearing the debris and battening the after hatch over with canvas. A spoke of the steering wheel is broken against the ribs of a good sailor, Martin Anderson, who has sail for six years in the ship. Our mizen-mast is bending like a coach-whip, the wire rigging is streaming like a silken lash. Tons and tons of water poured down on our devoted ship, making her quiver and tremble fearfully. The whole ship's crew are now aft afloat. The velocity of the water is so great Captain Logan can hold no longer, his fingers are slipping, and he will go. Mr Bell, the first mate, feels himself going - floating overboard. He can catch nothing. When he is entangled in the lee spilling lines of our reefed mizen trysail, to which he sticks as only a drowning man can. The sight is indescribable; eight strong men hanging on the rail, all bleeding and groaning! Half the steering wheel has gone, but gone not, alas, alone! for gone also is John Weisner, a young German, aged twenty-six, known to all of you as the amiable and obliging second officer of the Hero. Poor fellow - he was a fine sailor; he is swallowed up in the waves. Logan, with true Scottish pluck, is equal to the occasion, working with the remainder of his men - the ship rides well. I for one don't want to see such mountains again. The chief steward is at the wheel. Captain Logan, Mr Bell, Mr Bennett, and his fireman, the steerage Steward, and those two faithful servants so well-known to all of you as inseparables of the Hero, "Lamps" and "Chips," work as only Britons can, and soon the hatchway is secured. Captain Logan had decided to proceed instead of returning to Sydney. Mr Cogswell and one of the passengers dressed the captain's leg, which is black from knee to ankle. It's hard times for the crew. "Lamps" is in the captain's watch and recognises the dignity of the office; "Chips" is in the first mate's watch but he is at work night and day with axe and saw. The poor boatswain (John Nicholas) is severely bruised, as also are five other sailors. Wednesday" We have passed the Three Kings and are in smooth water. 

The Times, Tuesday, Apr 01, 1890; pg. 3; Issue 32974; col B
Wreck Inquiry Court. The Coriolanus And The Claymore
A disastrous collision which occurred in the Atlantic on the 24th February last, between the sailing ship Coriolanus and the steamer Claymore, Captain Thomson, from Norfolk, Virginia, both belonging to the Port of London. The Coriolanus, Captain Felgate, was a iron full-rigged sailing ship of 1,045 tons, built in 1876 in Dumbarton, and owned by Mr Peter Hunter, of Frenchurch-avenue, London and others.  She left Iquique, in South America, on Nov. 4 last with a crew of 21 hands and a cargo of nitrate of soda, bound for Dunkirk. At about 8:30 on the morning of the 24th of February the ship had arrived in lat. about 50  1N., and long. 20. 5W. The weather was fine. Both vessels collided about 400 miles west of Fastnet. Both crews are safe on board the Johnstone Line steamer Queensmore. The Claymore was an iron screw steamer of 2,554 gross tons, built at Glasgow in 1883, and owned in London, carrying a cargo of cotton. The  captain of the Coriolanus, as the Claymore approached, remarked how close she was running him. The Claymore came right on, which struck her fair amidships on the port side, penetrating right through the engine-room compartment and cutting the vessel from the water's edge to the turn of the bilge. The bows of the Coriolanus were opened out right to the keel. The Claymore immediately listed and took in water rapidly. Some of the men left the vessels without boots or topcoats. Nothing whatever was saved. The Queenmore was about five miles away, and immediately after the vessels had come into collision Captain Prenery saw what had happened, and bore towards them. Captain Prenery took the whole of the men (28) from the Coriolanus and 49 from the Claymore. The Claymore sank but the Coriolanus stayed afloat. The master and the second officer of the Claymore were found to be at fault.
    Sept. 2. Arrival at London. The Coriolanus and Cabria, tug, from Dunkirk.

The Timaru Herald 9th April 1879 page 2 column A
The 'Clipper' Races