MATOAKA  Bristol to Lyttelton, New Zealand 1860

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports
Bristol to Lyttelton, New Zealand 1860
New Zealand Bound

'Lyttelton Times' Dec 5, 1860
Departed Bristol September 2,1860.
Arrived--December 1, ship Matoaka, 1092 tons, Alfred Stevens.

First Cabin
ANSON		Mr and Mrs
BROWNE	 	Mr and Mrs 
Delamain	Mr and Mrs
DIXON		Mr and Mrs
HUMPHREYS	Mr and Miss 
FITZGERALD	Mr and Mrs	 and 5 children
SINTER		Mr and Mrs 
Slater		Mr and Mrs and the 
SLATER		Misses (4)
Strangman	Mr and Mrs and family
TESCHMAKER	Mrs		[not her first trip to NZ]
WEBBER		Misses (2)
WEALE	 	Miss		 and servant
Second Cabin
LOUGH		Mr and Mrs	 and five children
TUCKEY		Mr and Mrs 	 and child

Third Cabin
CHIVERS		C. and T.	[listed as Government Immigrants under C. and T. CHIVAIS] 
FRANKLIN	Fanny	and child 
METHUEN		Mary (Methnen)
ONYBALL		D.   (Oyball)

Government Immigrants
BELLAMY		James		 farm labourer	  wife and four children
BUCKLEY		Andrew		 labourer	  wife and three children
BLAIR		James 	 	 ploughman	  wife and three children
BARNETT		Joseph	 	 labourer	  wife and two children 
BAIN		David 	 	 ploughman	  and wife
BENNET		Alexander	 (?)joiner	  wife and two children  
BUTTERS		Edward	 	 farm labourer	  and wife  
CLARK		Richard 	 farm labourer    and wife
COOKE		John		 farm labourer	  wife and child  
COOPER		John  	 	 farm labourer	  wife and three children 
CONNELLY	Thomas	 	 farm labourer    and wife  
CUMMING		Peter	  	 farm labourer    wife and seven children
DAVIE		William [age 29] ploughman	  and wife Christian [29	Aberdeenshire]
FARNEY		Arthur 	    [55] farm labourer    and wife Margaret   [53	Aberdeenshire]
FARNEY		Alexander 	 labourer	  wife     Margaret   [25	Aberdeenshire	and son Arthur 8 months] 
GARILY		Michael		 groom 	 	  wife and two children  
GLOSTON		John 		 ploughman	  and wife  
GRAY		James 		 farm labourer	  wife and four children
HERBERT		William		 schoolmaster	  wife and child
HOPKINS		William	 	 miner 	 	  and wife  
HUNT		James 		 bricklayer 	  and wife
HUNT		John 		 bricklayer 	  wife and two children
JEFFREYS	William		 farm labourer	  and wife 
KINDLYSIDES	Thomas 		 blacksmith 	  wife and four children 
REECH		Charles		 farm labourer    and wife 			?Keech
LOUGH		Henry 		 cook 		  wife and two children 
LAMBERT		Robert 		 farm labourer	  and wife
MONEY		Charles 	 groom		  wife and child 
MCINTOSH	Neil 		 shepherd 	  wife and child 
MITCHEL		William 	 tailor		  wife and four children 
MACFARLANE	Robert 		 ploughman	  wife and child
MCLAREN		James		 shepherd 	  and wife 
MCLEOD		Peter		 farm labourer	  and wife 
MACFARLANE	Andrew		 blacksmith	  and wife
MCKAIG		John 		 farm labourer	  wife and child 
MOORHEAD	David 		 farm labourer	  wife and child
MORGAN 		John		 miner		  wife and three children 
MUNDAY		Martin 		 farm labourer	  and wife
PEARCE		Walter 		 printer 	  and wife 
PATTERSON 	Charles		 shepherd	  wife and five children 
PATE (?)	James 		 farm labourer	  wife and two children   not listed in LTs
RHIND		Alexander 	 labourer	  wife and three children 
STEPHENSON 	Willia		 ploughman	  wife and child 
SMITH		William 	 farm labourer    and wife 
SMITH  		John		 mecahnic	  wife and five children  
TILLEY		William 	 farm labourer	  wife and three children  
TUCKEY		John			  	  wife and child
WAUGH 		Thomas		 farm labourer    and wife

Single Men
BILLINGS	George 		labourer
BUCKLEY		John		labourer
BUCKLEY		Timothy 	labourer
BOYLE		John		labourer
BELL		Charles		grocer
BELL		C.A. 		clerk
BARELL 		Wiliam		farm labourer
BIGGS		F.		farm labourer
CLARKE 		James		farm labourer 
CAMERON		John		shepherd
CRAIK 		John		ploughman
DUKE		James		shepherd  
ELLWOOD		John		farm labourer
ELLWOOD		Michael		surveyor
GREIG		William		mason 
GUNN 		Alexander	shepherd 
GIBB 		Stewart		shepherd 
GRIFFITHS	David		farm labourer
GLEW		Samuel 		farm labourer
GARRETT		Roland		labourer
HARRIS		Henry		labourer
HANNAY		Thomas		labourer
HALL		Edward 		groom 
HUNTER 		Alexander	farm labourer
HOULT 		Francis 	farm labourer
LOCKHEAD	John		ploughman	 and two children 
LOW		John		ploughman 
LIGHTBODY	John		farm labourer 
LEIGH		Peter		farm labourer
MCCULLOCH	Donald		farm labourer
MARSHALL	Philip		farm labourer
MCCUNE		George		farm labourer
PHILIP 		James		farm labourer
PERDUE		William		farm labourer 
POWYS		Arthur
ROSS  		David		shepherd
SMITH		James  		shepherd
SMITH 		Thomas		carpenter
SMITH		Thomas		miner
SKILLEN 	Robert		farm labourer
SKILLEN 	Samuel		farm labourer
TOMBS 		Charles		farm labourer
WALSH 		Thomas		labourer
WADDELL		Edwin 		labourer
WALTERS 	Thomas 		farmer

Single Women
BLAIR		Mary 
ASCOLI		Jenette		domestic servant
BELL		Mary
BUCKLEY		Bridget		housekeeper
BAINBRIDGE	Charlotte	dairymaid	 and two children
FARNEY		Mary       [18]	domestic servant			 Aberdeenshire	 
FARRELL		Mary		domestic servant 
GABATTIS(?)	Ann 		domestic servant
GRAY		Jan		governess
GRAY 		Laura
HUNTER		Jane		dairymaid
HUNT		Celia		dressmaker
HUNT 		Jane		domestic servant 
JOHNSON		Elizabeth 	domestic servant
JONES		Eliza		domestic servant
LOCKHEAD	Elizabeth	dairymaid
LAWRENCE	Mary		governess
LOUGH		Jane		domestic servant
LOUGH		Mary		domestic servant
LOUGH		Sophia 		domestic servant
LUMLEY		Amelia		domestic servant 
MAHON		Susan		domestic servant
MCCUNE  	Elizabeth	domestic servant 
MILVERTON	Elizabeth	dressmaker
PATE		Elizabeth
RHIND		Elizabeth
ROWLE		Martha		laundress
ROUTLEDGE	Amelia		domestic servant
RANKINE		Elizabeth 	domestic servant	
SCHJOTT		Ann 		governess 
SALTER		Eliza		domestic servant
SEAGAR		Elizabeth	matron
SMITH		Ann 		domestic servant
STEVENS		Emily		domestic servant
STURROCK	Helen		domestic servant
TAYLOR		Helen 		domestic servant
WILSON		Mary		domestic servant
WOODING		Eliza		dressmaker

Births on Board

   October	 25	 Mrs CONNELLY	 of a son
   November	 22	 Mrs CLARK	 of a son

Deaths on Board

   September	 21	Julia MORGAN	 aged thirteen months
   October	  5 	John McINTOSH	 aged fourteen months
   November	  5	Ellen STEVENSON  aged five months
   November	 15	John TUCKEY	 aged nineteen months

The fine ship Matoaka, Captain Alfred Stevens, from Bristol, by which ship J. E. Fitzgerald returns to our shores, dropped anchor in our harbour at half-past eight on Sunday morning, after a rapid and very pleasant passage of eighty eight days.  The Matoaka was towed to sea from King's Roads, Bristol, on Thursday, September 1, and on the following day the pilot and steamboat left her off Lundy Island.  Thence till the thirteenth, when the ship was abreast of Madeira but out of sight of land, fine weather and steady breezes were experienced, and after two days of light wind in that latitude the N.E. trades were fallen in with, and carried to September 20 in latitude 14 north and longitude 28 ?min west.  During the run down the N.E. trades several outward bound ships were passed.  From September [20?/29?] variable winds were experienced, with occasional squalls and torrents of rain until October 1; then met steady breezes from the south, and crossed the equator next day in 2[4?] longitude, twenty-eight days out, after which strong trades were fallen in with, hanging far from south.  On October 8 the eighteenth degree of south latitude was reached in longitude 33 25' west, and then, the wind veering to east and north-east, the ship began to make to the south-east, and for several days made excellent running.  On October 27 passed the meridian of the Cape in latitude 43 south, and then fell in with strong winds from north and north north-east, with much rain which weather continued with only two days' intermission until November 25, when a south-west wind was picked up and the Snares were made at midnight on the 27th, eighty-two days thirteen hours from Lundy Island.  From Snares light variable winds and calms impeded the progress of the vessel up the coast, and the anchor was not dropped till the eighty-eighth day.   The passage generally was fine, the ship's topsails being reefed only four times during the whole way out.  As will be seen by the list, the passengers by the Matoaka are numerous, in the first and second cabins as well in the steerage, and all are landed in good health and excellent spirits.  The health on board has been good, there being four deaths (infants) and two births.  Captain Stevens has received from his passengers highly complimentary testimonials, one of which is signed by every one of the cabin passengers, and accompanied by a purse of thirty guineas.  The testimonial was presented on board on November 30 with an address from Mr Fitzgerald.

08/12/1860 'Lyttelton Times' newspaper  [ W.H.R. Dale Album, Canterbury Museum ]
"The Matoaka - This fine vessel has come to our shores in a condition to serve almost as a model of what an emigrant ship ought to be.  Capacious, clean, a fast sailer, and well victualled, she has transported her living freight from one side of the world to the other with the least possible inconvenience to themselves.  Emigration managed in this way would soon silence the prevalent and unhappily often justifiable complaints against agents and brokers. The Matoaka has been fortunate and as well provided in many respects, and not least of all in the surgeon who has had charge of the health and discipline of the emigrants.  Dr Young is not a novice at his work, having been surgeon of the favourite ship Regina on her last voyage, when, it will be recollected, she brought a number of emigrants in a most creditable state of health and comfort.  The success of the Matoaka is another evidence of Dr Young's ability as doctor of an emigrant ship - an ability which drew a marked tribute from the saloon passengers."

14/12/1860 'Lyttelton Times' newspaper  [ W.H.R. Dale Album, Canterbury Museum ]
"We learn that the arrival of the Matoaka has brought a very opportune supply of labour into the market.  All the single men and all the female domestic servants met with engagements at good rates before the end of the second day after landing.  Most of the married couples and families have also found employment, so that out of the large number brought in only very few are still in the barracks."

FARNEY: Mary FARNEY [1846-1920] and her grandparents Arthur [1798-1879] & Margaret nee Watt [1799-1865] plus uncle Alexander [1829-1868] and wife Margaret [d.1874] nee STEWART and family arrived at Lyttelton on the Matoaka. Arthur FARNEY was born at Kintore, Aberdeenshire and he and Margaret WATT were married at Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire.  Margaret was born at Gateside, Culsalmond parish, Aberdeenshire.  Arthur and Margaret reared their family in the Inverurie area, Aberdeenshire. They and most of their children & families emigrated to New Zealand.   Peter McLEOD, a passenger, signed the register at the marriage of Mary FARNEY & Thomas Harford DILLON in 1863.  Most are buried at Addington Cemetery, Christchurch.but the family patriarch, Arthur Farney, is buried at the Geraldine Cemetery. Margaret nee Stewart remarried Thomas ELMSLEY but survived only long enough to bear him a child.  William DAVIE was the son-in-law of Arthur Farney & Margaret Watt, having married their daughter, Christina FARNEY [1827-1901].  The Davie's farmed near Geraldine.  Mary married Thomas Harford DILLON at Kaiapoi in 1863. Mary's mother was Barbara FARNEY who came to NZ in 1861 on the Sebastopol with her husband Robert HUNTER, b.1850, and child.  Other family members to arrive in NZ were Arthur Farney & Margaret Watt's daughters Catherine Keith FARNEY, with husband Alexander DUNCAN, via the Cresswell in 1859; and Mary Margaret Helen FARNEY, with husband James BONNYMAN, via the Queen of the Mersey in 1862.  For some reason Ellen is called Aster in the passenger list of the latter ship. Alexander DUNCAN was a contractor of Sydenham, Christchurch.

Obituary, page 8, 'Press' newspaper, Christchurch, 11/09/1905
"Another early colonist has passed away, in the person of Mr Alexander Duncan, of Buffon St, Sydenham.  The late Mr Duncan was 71 years of age, and was a native of Benahei, Aberdeen.  He arrived in Lyttelton in the ship Cresswell in August 1859.  Soon after his arrival he took up some land at Bingsland, which is now known as Rowe's Corner.  Fortune did not favour him in farming pursuits, and together with a small number of others he journeyed overland with the West Coast gold rush.  This journey proved very wearisome, and only two of the party completed it.  Mr Duncan crossed over to Nelson in the capacity of packman to one of the storekeepers.   Returning from Nelson he was on the same track as the four unfortunate men who met their death at the hands of Burgess, the Maungatapu murderer, but by good fortune changed his route.  The late Mr Duncan took part in the excavation of the Lyttelton tunnel. He leaves behind him two daughters and four sons, and sixteen grandchildren." [Arthur Alexander Keith DUNCAN, a son, was the Deputy Public Trustee in Wellington when he died.]

Passenger List Matoaka - Assisted Emigration [Archives New Zealand, Christchurch, Ref. 1MCH4/32]
The full fare for Arthur & Margaret & Mary was 48 pounds 10, of which they paid 25 pounds 10 in cash.
The full fare for Alexander & Margaret & Arthur was 32 pounds, of which they paid 8 pounds 10 in cash and 17 pounds  in promissory notes.
The full fare for William & Christian was pounds32 of which they paid  pounds 17 in cash.

The above information and the passenger list courtesy of Peter Dillon  Posted 5 May 2000. Please contact Peter if you would like further information on the above families or have information to share.

MARSHALL: Philip George Marshall was born, December 11, 1836 in Chew Magna, Somerset, England. He lived in Akaroa, View Hill, Oxford and Southbridge. In Feb.1872 he married Elizabeth Comyns in St. Lukes Anglican Church, Avonside, Christchurch. He died 25 April, 1896 in Southbridge and is buried in Ellesmere. Information courtesy of Patti McVetty. Posted 12 May 2000

Lyttelton Times, 1 March 1862, Page 4
STODDART   SCHJOTT Feb. 27, at Okain's Bay, by the Rev. Henry Torlesse, Mark Pringle, youngest son of the late Rear-Admiral Stoddart, of Edinburgh, to Anna Schjott, daughter of the late Rev. O. Schjott, of Skien, Norway.

Old House Diamond Harbour. Renowned Canterbury painter Margaret Olrog Stoddart (daughter of Anna Barbara and Mark Pringle Stoddart) lived and painted Godley House. The house partially collapsed after the June 13th 2011 aftershock. Several of her most significant paintings were of the house in its garden and harbour setting. The Stoddart family lived in Godley House until 1913 when both houses were sold to the Lyttelton Borough Council. The council then named it after the John Robert Godley, who came to New Zealand for two years as the Canterbury Association Agent and is known as the "founder" of the Canterbury settlement. Godley House was built as a family home by Harvey Hawkins - ship chandler, ironmonger and speculator, and one of Lyttelton's leading citizens.  Diamond Harbour was originally named Stoddards Bay after Mark Stoddart.  Anna Barbara Stoddart died in 1911 age 76,

Other voyages:
Passenger list: Left Gravesend 15 June 1859, arrived in Auckland 26 Sept. via Wellington
Passenger list: Left London Nov 14, 1861 and arrived Feb 10, 1862 Lyttelton. Diary
Passenger list: Left London Oct 13, 1868 and arrived Feb 8, 1869 Lyttelton
1858 into Victoria, AUS
Lost with all hands:
The "Matoaka" was built in 1853, wooden full rigged ship, 1092 tons, Willis and Gann Co. vessel, purchased in 1867 by the Shaw Savill Co., made eight voyages to New Zealand between 1859 and 1869.  In 1862 she made a run out to Lyttelton from Bristol in 82 days this being her best passage. On May 13, 1869 she left Lyttelton for London under the command of Captain Alfred Stevens with 45 passengers including 13 women and 18 children and a crew of 32 but was never seen again.

Suggested reading:
Passenger List Archives New Zealand, Christchurch, Ref. 1MCH4/32
Lyttelton Shipping - Passenger Index Canterbury Museum Library
White Wings by Henry Brett Vol. 1
Dairy of  W. Herbert Alington, includes account of voyage. Canterbury Museum
Dale Album, Canterbury Museum, Christchurch

"More last words"
before the people belonging to the shore are ordered to retire
"Never mind the passage-money, only come back"
"Stay a twelve month or so, Mary, and if I'm lucky"
"Had enough of England, and England's not sorry, I dare say, to get rid of me"
"She will break her heart"
"It's very hard, hard, hard, very hard to part"
""Nae forget the auld kirk, Archy"
"No light in the berth"
"Get the gold, if it costs me my life"
"Six dozen shirts enough"
"Well, I'll put it in my box, mother, but afraid I shan't read it"
"Where they give the peaches to the pigs"
"Lodging-house -awfully bitten"
"All the way from Mullingar without bit or sup"
"Write to mother and the girls every mail"
"Time will soon slip by"
"All the best"

FROM WHITE WINGS:- Lost with all Hands.
Considering the number of voyages that were made round the stormy Horn in the old sailing ship days the New Zealand trade was singularly free from disasters. Saddest of all epitaphs for a gallant ship is that of the 'missing.' There is something so ominous and mysterious about it, and one's natural grief at the loss of relation or friend seems trebled when disaster of that kind occurs. One of the few ships from New Zealand that have been posted 'missing' was the Matoaka, which was a well-known Willis, Gann and Co. She and her skipper (Captain Stevens) were very well known in the colony, and particularly in Canterbury, five out of the eight voyages the ship made to New Zealand being to Lyttelton. Captain Stevens was a very popular man in Christchurch and Auckland. The Matoaka, a ship of 1092 tons, was trading to New Zealand from 1859 to 1869. On May 13 of the latter year she left Lyttelton for London, Captain Stevens being in command, but she was never heard of again. It was conjectured that the ship struck an iceberg during the night, and foundered with all hands.

As an instance of the trying time ships sometimes had among the ice, an experience of the Matoaka's may be cited. On the run out from London to Lyttelton in 1867 she fell in with a great number of bergs when away down in the South Indian Ocean in about the same latitude as Kerguelen Island, and not quite half-way between that spot and the bottom end of New Zealand. It was Christmas Day. As far as the eye could reach from the masthead there were bergs extending north and south. As night came on sail was shortened, and the ship passed several bergs from 300ft to 400ft in height. The following day and night the ship was still among bergs, and the last one passed was 320 miles from the large group. In waters like that it meant the most vigilant navigation, and the officers and crew had a very anxious time until they got free of the ice.

Captain Stevens was in the Matoaka for seven years, and during that time he made fairly fast runs out and home, never exceeding 95 days port to port. In '62 the ship did the run from Bristol; to Lyttelton in 82 days, that being her best passage in the trade.

The Matoaka on her first voyage to Auckland came up from Wellington, leaving that port on September 17, 1859. She was flying light, and when off Castle Point encounted a heavy northerly gale, during which several sails were split, and the vessel hove-to for twelve hours. The same night she slipped a sea which stove in the main hatch and her bulwarks. This gale was the cause of the long voyage of eleven days from Wellington.

Captain Stevens was specially interested in bringing out song birds for the Canterbury Acclimatisation Society. Owing to the unremitting care bestowed on them, with the assistance of the carpenter, he landed in a healthy condition a large number of starlings, larks, blackbirds, thrushes, and other songsters in 1867. He also was successful in landing a healthy lot of pheasants and partridges. The following year Captain Stevens was even more successful. On this occasion he landed twelve pairs of thrushes, 77 pairs blackbirds, 22 house sparrows, 7 redpoles, 1 yellow-hammer, 1 pair bramble finches, and 1 robin. On the previous voyage several robins were placed on board, but they all died.

Following are the particulars of the eight voyages made to New Zealand by the ship:-
To Auckland:  
Sailed	 	Arrived 		Captain Days 
*June 15 	Sept. 26, '59 		Stevens 103 	*Via Wellington, 92 days
Sept. 23, '64 	Jan. 3, '65 		Barnett 99 

To Wellington: 
June 13 	Sept. 13, '59 		Stevens 92 
To Lyttelton: 
Sept. 4 	Dec. 1, '60 		Stevens 88 
Nov. 20, '61 	Feb. 10, '62 		Stevens 82 
Oct. 7, '66 	Jan. 10, '67 		Stevens 94 	Land to Land 85	days 
Nov.16, '67 	Feb. 11, '68 		Stevens 86 	Land to Land 80 days
Nov. 12, '68 	Feb. 8, '69 		Stevens 89 
To Port Chalmers
		July 3, '65 		Stevens 84 

 Lyttelton Times, 9 February 1869, Page 2
SHIPPING. LYTTELTON. ARRIVED. Feb. 8 - Matoaka, ship, 1093 tons, Stevens, from London. Passengers: Mr George Templer, Mr H. J. Hine, Mr and Mrs E. C. Minchin, Miss Rebecca Minchin, Mrs Malcolm, Miss Kate, Miss Isabella, Miss F. S. and Master Robert Malcolm; Mr F. Rowe, Mr Harry Colliver, Mr Boord, Dr and Mrs Fish and 4 children, Miss Elizabeth Johnson, Miss Sarah Sharp (servant), Mr W. Hooker, Mr J. H. Lloyd, Misses Emily, Elsie, and Keitha Kenrick; Mr W. West, Mr H. Pusey, Mr S.E. Evans, Mr Robt. E. Luxton [Lupton]. The vessel comes out in medical charge of Mr E.H. Marshall, M.D. Mr Matoaka left Gravesend on Nov. 12. Arrived after a passage of 86 days. Two births occurred on the voyage. Government immigrants.

Press, 24 August 1932, Page 2
The 101st birthday of Mrs Frances Mary Speakman, who has been an inmate of the Auckland Infirmary since December, 1930, was celebrated on Saturday. Mrs Speakman a husband died over 40 years ago, and she had been entirely dependent on her own resources until granted a small pension four years ago. Born in Appleford, a tiny Berkshire village, not far from Oxford, Mrs Speakman'a first memory is of the building of a branch railway in the district. She is still in possession of a Bible presented to her 92 years ago. Accompanied by her husband, Mr William Speakman, she arrived at Auckland by the ship Matoaka in 1859, after a voyage lasting 16 weeks from Gravesend. A rowing boat brought Mrs Speakman ashore at Auckland, and landed her at Fort Britomart, While the Maori wars were in progress Mrs Speakman opened a store at Mechanics' Bay.

1855 passengers