Mauritius to New Zealand pre 1900

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints     Lists   Ports

Shipping to and from Mauritius 
and New Zealand - pre 1900

New Zealand Bound

In 1767 the Isle of France passed to the French Crown and in the Napoleonic Wars was used as a base against the British shipping. Accordingly, the British sent out an expedition from India which captured the island in 1810. By the Treaty of Paris the Ile-de-France was ceded to Britain, and the original name Mauritius was restored. The French laws, and customs, however, together with the language and Roman Catholic church, were not disturbed, and Mauritius remains largely French in character to this day.

Be Our Guest

wayback 2015 wayback 2017 Ancestry retired the guestbook feature in October 2017

Send me an email if you would like to have info posted here and an email link to back to you. If you are writing regarding ancestors arrival include some details e.g. name, origin, name of ship, year of arrival in NZ, arrival port or decade of arrival and where family first settled in N.Z. 
[email protected]

Name: Email:
Your Mauritius or India connection?
What motivated your ancestors to settle in NZ?
Have you succeeded in locating the passenger list? How?
Name of ship. NZ arrival port and date:


Vicki Posted 10 July 2007
off Mauritius

I'm looking for information about a shipwreck off Mauritius that happened after November 1865. On board was Jane BREAKELL nee FAIRCLOUGH & her son Henry, born Auckland 8th November 1865, described as an infant. Jane died during or shortly after the wreck, her infant son was found washed up on a beach, survived & was raised & educated by Nuns in Mauritius until found & sent for by his Uncle, William Corlass BREAKELL, returning to NZ in the early 1880's... or so the family history & letters tell the tale.
Henry enlisted in the Sudan Contingent 19/2/1885 departing from Australia 3/3/1885 but a photo was sent to England from NZ at that time, possibly by his Uncle William. Does anyone know how I would find the ship that Jane & infant Henry left NZ aboard please, or shipping routes of the time to see if it may have been the same ship that was wrecked off Mauritius?

The Times Feb. 14 1811
The Isle of France, a volcanic island, surrounded by coral reefs, is not more than thirty leagues in circumference, about eleven in length, and seven in breadth, having a surface area of which measures 432, 680 acres. It is described a subtropical climate, extremely healthy, fertile, a abounding with the most romantic scenery. The population of the isles of France and Bourbon said to have been 121,000 in the year 1799, of who a great proportion are Negro slaves, the military force consisted of 5,000 men. The principal harbour of the island is Port Louis which is situated in 20.10 south Lat. and 55. long. east from Paris. The plantations of coffee where the first adopted. Several sugar plantations have succeed. Cotton has been neglected because the cultivation of indigo became more popular. A Governor, M. Pierre Poivre, found means to introduce plants of nutmeg, cloves, &c. It is situated in the African seas, just at the entrance of the Indian Ocean. It served as the place of rendezous for French frigates, where they could be refitted and where they might retire with their plunder. It was a depot of captured produce. It lies a little out of the common track.

Rough Seas. If repairs, provisions or medical assistance were required along the way the vessel may have the opportunity to call into: Cape Town, Table Bay, Port Elizabeth, Algoa Bay, South Africa and Port Louis, Mauritius as well as the Australian ports. e.g. 

The Bulwark, a ship of 1332 tons, she sailed from London for Auckland on February 27 1872 and arrived in Auckland on Oct. 1 1872 after spending 59 days refitting in Mauritius after hitting a tremendous sea. A voyage of 217 days. Source: White Wings Vol. 1.

Otago Witness September 28 1872 pg12

England's Glory, a full rigged iron ship of 757 tons,  made her last passage to NZ in 1881. She struck a gale and put into Mauritius where the cargo of iron was discharged and restowed with a three week delay. She arrived at Nelson where part of her cargo was discharged  but became a total wreck at the rocks on the south-west point of Bluff, in Nov. after a voyage of six months. Source: White Wings Vol. 1.

The Guinevere a ship of 879 tons built at Glasgow in 1868 sailed from London on 5 April 1886 for Wellington and all went well until a tremendous sea caused damage. The gales continued for three days. Four boats smashed., water in the hold, the cut-water and figure-head and jury rudder carried away. The ship was rudderless for 13 days.  Captain Ford made for Mauritius and arrived 17 days later. She was placed into dry dock. On 14 Nov. she stared for Wellington and arrived on 20th Dec. of the same year, 269 days from London. After discharging cargo she sailed for Dunedin and arrived their on the 19th January 1887.  Source: White Wings Vol. 2

The Glenora, barque, 764 tons, was dismasted on a voyage from London to Wellington, under command of Capt. Culbert. The 1872 voyage took 215 days. She had left Gravesend on Aug. 8. She spent 47 days at Mauritius for refitting. Three days after leaving Mauritius the ship's doctor (Dr L'Estrange) died from a fever he caught at the island. She arrived in Wellington on March 11 1873. Source: White Wings Vol. 2.

Timaru Herald Wednesday  12 March 1873
Wellington, Tuesday Evening
Arrived - The Glenlora from London via Mauritius. Her passengers are all well, she brings the crew of the German ship Fox wrecked near the Mauritius and four Malabar seaman, crew of the pilot boat who were on board the Fox when the hurricane come on. The Glenlora arrived short of provisions, her passengers having been some days living on rice and oatmeal.

The Olive Mount, 583 tons, under Captain Gauver, sailed from London on 18th April 1865, but while passing the Cape of Good Hope struck a terrific gale. Seas broke on board and she sprung the fore and main masts, split most if her sails. Crippled she arrived at Mauritius 12 July. On the 18th she started for Port Chalmers and arrived on 6th Nov, 205 days out from LondonSource: White Wings Vol. 2 

Otago Daily Times 5 January 1867, Page 4
Olive Mount, last from London via Mauritius, where she put in for repairs, had discharged her cargo and receive her ballast, and is expected to sail for Callao daily.

The Royal Stuart, 723 tons, of wooden construction, built by Sutherlands, England, in 1851, official #21899, length 45.4m, beam 9.75m, draft 6.4m, was wrecked on the Capricorn Reef, Torres Strait, in May/June 1864, while on passage from Auckland to Madras. On the 12th June 1864 the Marie Laurie put into Port Louis, Mauritius, with the crew of the Royal Stuart, which had been wrecked in Torres Strait.

The Soukar under command of Capt. Wood called into Port Louis on September 27 1898 during her voyage from Glasgow which she left on  June 28th to Dunedin for a refitting that took 58 days. During the storm three seamen where wash overboard - McFarlane, Woods and Murray and the Captain broke both his legs. She arrived at Pt Chalmers Jan 14 1899, a voyage of 197 days..  Source: White Wings Vol. 1. 
Timaru Herald Nov. 21st 1898
Put into Mauritius at the end of September, in consequence of her rudder and other parts of the vessel being damages, had six seamen washed overboard in a terrific gale.

Valisneria, 243 tons, Captain Webb, from London, via Mauritius, arrived  13 Nov. 1859. The vessel encountered severe storms and was compelled to put into Mauritius for repairs. The voyage occupied six months.

The White Rose, ship, 1556 tons, sailed from London 14 Feb. 1875 to Plymouth to pick up her 166 passengers then on 14 April the captain, Mr. T.S. Thorpe, was found dead in his bunk (apoplexy (stroke)). The chief officer assumed command. The ship hit rough weather, as she had alot of railway material in her hold, it constantly moved in the rough weather also her mast was damaged. The White Rose pulled into Port Louis, Mauritius for repairs on 22 May and sailed again 10 June. Again hit rough weather then on 9 July and a fire broke out amongst the cargo but was put out. There were six births (two being stillborn). Three deaths occurred (two children, one adult). When the vessel left Mauritius tropical fever and ague (used to define the recurring fever & chills of malarial infection) existed and during the voyage one man died from fever and plague. When the vessel reached Lyttelton there was a apparently no disease on board but the authorities decided to land the passengers at Ripa Island. They were released after a stay of seven days.

Newspaper items

The Lyttelton Times September 20,
ship "Randolph", Dale, commander, from Madras, bound to London, via Mauritius, was lost on 25 June, on a reef off Amber Island (Mapon). She had on board a cargo of sugar of London, a large amount of money, and 254 Indian emigrants, for Port Louis. Nothing belonging to the vessel could be saved. Mr. Scott, an officer of the Madras Army, swam on shore, but died a moment after reaching it from exhaustion. Two European sailors, nine men (immigrants), ten women and three children were drowned. The remains of Mr Scott were interred with military honours, the garrison following the funeral. "Cornwall Chronicle".

The Nouvelle Ermance was bound to the Mauritius after trading amongst the islands in the vicinity of Timor, through Torres Strait.. It is my opinion that the rock on which the unfortunate vessel struck went clean through Two Sisters hull; The man in the look-out on board the Malcolm saw the rock at intervals between the wash of the sea; so likewise did they on board the Nouvelle Ermance, for she passed close to the leeward of it.

Otago Witness Shipping News February 12 1859
Thomas and Henry, brig, 234 Paton, bound for the Mauritius

Port Chalmers Feb. 27. The Thomas and Henry, for Mauritius, at 9 a m.

September 3 1859 page 2 
Arrived. Aug. 29. Thomas and Henry, (a fine roomy brig, with excellent cabin accommodation, built on the Manning River, Australia) Paton, from Mauritius, with 2989 bags sugar and 24 casks molasses. 

March 9 1861 page 4 Arrivals
March 5 - Caroline, 164 tons, Adams, from Mauritius, with 2347 bags sugar. Cargill and Co., agents.

Jan. 25 1862 page 5 Entered Inwards
Jan. 21 - Genevieve, 271 tons, Turpie, from Mauritius, Cargill & Co., agents.

25 Jan 1862 page 5
Wreck of the Genevieve, 271 tons. On the 17th inst., about ten o'clock p.m. the barque Genevieve from the Mauritius, with a full cargo of sugar and coffee, went ashore outside the Heads, close to the spot where the Revival was wrecked. She was a hopeless wreck. Only eighty tons of cargo had been saved by nightfall. The captain, Turpie, was trying to enter the harbour without a pilot. The hull of the French barque Genevieve was purchased by Mr Kilgour for 210 pounds.

The Southern Cross - November Friday 28th 1862
The 'Witch of Tees' has made a fine passage down from the Mauritius. She lands about 100 tons of sugar here, and will take the rest to Dunedin. She is chartered for London, with wool from Dunedin and Oamaru - Lyttelton Times, Nov. 22.

Otago Witness Saturday 15 March 1862 pg 4 col.d
Entered Inwards: March 10 - Louisa, 245 tons, D. Williams, from Mauritius, with general cargo and two passengers.

Otago Witness February 20 1864 pg12
Entered Inwards: February 18 - Commodore, 426 tons, Anderson from Mauritius, with sugar. J. and J.H. Barr, agents.

Southern Cross 11 May 1864 pg 2
Arrived port of Auckland 10 March 1864.
Tampico, three-masted schooner, from Mauritius, after a passage of 52 days. She sailed from Pot Louis on the 18th January, and experienced strong winds and heavy weather for several days after leaving. The coast of New Zealand was sighted 12 days ago. She brings 200 tons sugar, 10 casks claret, 50 cases brandy, 50 bags dates, 10 boxes tea and 10 cases rum. The only passenger by her is Mr C. Desinerules. The Tampico is a smart craft of 213 tons, commanded by Captain Bruzant. She was built at Havre, France, for the Brazilian trade, in 1858. Only ten vessels were sighted by the Tampico during the passage.

Southern Cross 27 July 1864 pg 4
Arrived 26 July port of Auckland 
Sylphide, ship, from Mauritius June 1. 295 tons, Captain Geary with 4,606 bags sugar, 20 bundles bacon bags. Passenger - Mr Byrnes (Mr Barns is the only passenger). The Sylphide was built in Bremen and was several years used as a yacht for the Marquis of Downshire. She sailed from Port Louis on the 1st June and experienced heavy weather throughout. She ran down the easting between the parallels of 47 and 48 South latitude. Made Cape Van Dieman on Sunday last. 

Otago Witness Feb. 11 1865 pg12
Entered Outwards Lyle for the Mauritius, Feb. 5:- Captain Harper and family and Mr Blair.

Otago Witness Saturday 18 March 1865 Entered Inwards
March 11 - Sir Francis Drake, 159 tons, Fox, master, from the Mauritius, with sugar.

Southern Cross 20 Nov. 1865 pg 4
Port of Auckland: The fine French brig Pioneer, 196 tons, Captain A. Ducatte, from Port Louis, Mauritius, with 200 tons sugars, 57 days out. Henderson and Macfarlane, agents. She left Mauritius on the 22nd September last, and encountered light winds and fine weather during the greater part of the passage. Made Bass's Straits on the 30th day out and on the same day spoke the American ship Rangoon, bound from New York to Sydney. She put into Wangapoa on the 13th, and remained thee two days wind-bound. Reports trade in sugars rather dull at the Mauritius when he sailed. Passengers: Messrs Aaron and Samuel Levy, from Port Mauritius. Cargo: 5 cases merchandise, Messrs Levy.

August 15 1863 Entered Inwards
August 14 - Kestrel, 170 tons, Davis, from Port Louis, Mauritius, with cargo and one passenger. J. L. and C. Burke 

September 11 1863 Entered Outwards
Sept. 7 - Gusdalette, 277 tons, Findlay, for Mauritius, in ballast

November 21 1863 Entered Inwards
Nov. 18 - Amycus, 218 tons, Manghan, from Mauritius, with cargo.

January 16 1864
Jan 15 - Laughing Water, 233 tons, Newman, from Mauritius, with sugar

March 18 1864 page 12 Entered Inwards
March 17 - Fawn, 216 tons, McDonald, master, from Mauritius, with cargo

Otago Witness 29 April 1865, Page 10 Vessels in Port
Eleanor, barque, from St John's, N.B.
Storm Bird, schooner, from Newcastle
Fawn, brig, from Mauritius
St Vincent, ship, from Wellington
Esmok, ship, from London
Caroline, schooner, from Oamaru
General Wyndham, ship, from London
Rumena, barque, from Tome, Chili
Driver, barque, from Newcastle
Coorong, barque, from Newcastle
H. B. Wright, ship, from Shields
Collingwood, ship, from Newcastle
Lloyd's Herald, schooner, from Hokitika
John Bullock, schooner, from Hokitika
Rona, brig, from Mauritius
Jeannie, Dove, schooner, from Hokitika
Lady Young, ship, from Newcastle
Wm Miskin, from Bluff Harbor
P. C. E., barque, from Newcastle
Mary Jane, schooner, from Hokitika
Wheatland, barque, from Valparaiso
Louisa, brig, from Hobart Town
Willie Simpson, schooner, from Stewart's Island

Otago Witness 11 November 1865, Page 10 Inwards
November 8 — Emma, 168 tons, Jesselesen master, from Mauritius, with cargo. W. and G. Turnbull and Co. agents

Otago Witness Saturday 6 Jan. 1866 pg10 Dunedin - Inwards.
Jan. 3 - Falcon, barque, 250 tons, Laws, master, from Port Louis, Mauritius, with cargo. Morison , Law and Co., agents.  OW. Jan. 27 pg14. Captain Laws presented Mr Begg, Curator of the Botanic Gardens, with a quantity if seed of a plant known in Mauritius by the native name "Camphee." It is a plants grown in the mountain districts, and said to form an impenetrable fence, six feet high, in three years.

The Southern Cross Tuesday January 23 1866 pg4
Port of Auckland. Arrived
Ayr - barque, 287 tons, Hugh McEwan, from Mauritius, via Adelaide, with 3,930 bags sugars and a small consignment of 12 tons hay and 40 cases jams from the latter place. The Ayr is a fine new barque, recently turned out of the same yard at Peterhead as the Charlotte Andrews, now discharging alongside the wharf, and is owned by her commander. She made the passage from Port Louis, Mauritius to Adelaide in 30 days. Remained at Adelaide for fourteen days and left for this port on the 5th instant. Had heavy weather the last two days and while under close-reefed topsails, the ship, was struck by a squall and her decks filled.

Otago Witness 21 April 1866, Page 10
Inwards. April 16 — St. Anne, 287 tons. E. Avez de Bellevue. master, from Mauritius, with cargo. W. and G. Turnbull and Co., agents.

Saturday November 24 1866 page 11
The Isabella, brig, which sailed for the Mauritius, had on board 1020 bags of wheat and 1426 bags of oats, shipped by Messrs Dalgety, Rattray and Co. The Isabella brought a cargo of sugar here, and now returns with the first shipment of New Zealand produce for that Island.

Evening Post, 13 July 1867, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. July 12th. Arrived, Jessie Kelly, from Mauritius

West Coast Times, 5 August 1867, Page 2
In its shipping summary for the month of July, the ''Otago Times" gives the following particulars of the Jessie Kelly's passage from the Mauritius to Dunedin. She sailed from Port Louis with a cargo of sugar, consigned to Messrs Cargill and M'Lean, on the 16th of March, under the command of Captain Wm. Smyth. Shortly after leaving the vessel was headed for the westward, the master informing the chief officer that he intended proceeding to San Francisco via the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Horn. The mate, remonstrated with him, and after a two hours run on a westerly course, the vessel was hauled to the eastward. At this time several of the crew fell sick, including the mate. On the 26th March she was again headed for the westward ; this time for the Cape of Good Hope, and kept running at the rate of nine knots for four hours. The chief officer who was sick in bed, was informed of the circumstance, and called the masters attention to it, desiring him to keep an easterly course. The captain gave no reason for his extraordinary proceedings, and shortly after hauled the vessel to the wind. During the whole of this time, a strong S.E. wind with heavy sea prevailed, causing the vessel to pitch and labor heavily, whereby she sprung a leak......The island of Amsterdam was passed on April the 11th, and light S.W. winds wore afterwards experienced to her arrival at Freemantle, on April the 22nd. Discharged eighty tons of cargo, and had the vessel caulked from copper to gunwale. Took in cargo again, with the exception of twenty tons, which were disposed of by Captain Smyth. Eighteen passengers (men, women, and children) were also shipped at Freemantle for Otago, and she proceeded on her voyage on the 6th of June. After leaving, the Captain appeared to be suffering from drink ; a strong N.W. gale sprung up on the same night, and the vessel had a very narrow escape from total shipwreck on Rottonest Island ....gale continued for two days, and the vessel again commenced to look. On the 25th June, in lat. 36-5 S., long. 130-24 E., then blowing a fresh. N.N.W. gale, the master, without consultation, hauled her up for Adelaide, where she arrived on the 23rd. ...Two days afterwards Captain Smyth left the vessel, taking with him one of the female passengers and her boy, and proceeded by steamer to Melbourne, the only instructions given to the chief officer being that ho would be back in a week. The vessel was then surveyed by order of the agents, and pronounced to be seaworthy for the continuation of her voyage. Captain Snadden was appointed to the command ; and she left Adelaide on the 2nd inst., and arrived here on the 12th. On the 5th instant, one of the passengers, a Mrs Parsons, gave birth to a daughter, who was named after the ship. The mother and child have arrived well. The Jessie Kelly is a handsome clipper schooner, built by Mr Nichol, of Auckland, fifteen months ago. This is only her second voyage. She is owned by Captain Kelly, of Sydney.

Evening Post, 4 November 1867, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 2nd November. Arrived. Wild Wave, from Mauritius

Otago Witness 4 April 1868, Page 10
PORT CHALMERS.— April 2. At the heads. Centaur, brig, from Mauritius, with sugar.

Evening Post, 21 May 1868, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 21st May. Arrived. Craig Ellachie, from Mauritius

Otago Witness September 12 1868 pg 10
Inwards Sept. 5 - Severn, 398 tons, Sandiland, master, from Mauritius., with cargo.

Otago Witness 30 Oct. 1868 page 12  Outwards, coastwise
Oct. 23- Exonia, 192 tons, Nicholson, master, for Lyttelton, with part of original cargo from Mauritius.

Outwards -Foreign
October 27 - Frederic, 432 tons, Baudronet, master, for Lyttelton, with part of original cargo, from Mauritius.

Otago Daily Times 22 October 1869, Page 2 Vessels in port
Exonia, brigantine, from Mauritius
Jennie Ellingwood, barque, Boston, U.S.
Katarina Maria, from Foo-chow-foo.
Frederic, barque, from Mauritius.

Evening Post, 25 November 1868, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 24th November. Arrived. At Heads Rio, brig, from Mauritius

Evening Post, 3 November 1869, Page 2
NELSON. 2nd November. Arrived 1 p.m. Helen, from Mauritius

Otago Witness Saturday November 20 1869 page 12
Inward Nov. 13 - Prospector, 235 tons, Black, master, from Mauritius, with cargo. Cargills and McLean, agents.

Evening Post, 11 December 1869, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 10th December. Arrived. Annie Brown, from Mauritius

Evening Post, 24 March 1870, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 23rd March. Arrived. Zingari, brig, from Mauritius, via Hobart Town, 24th March.

Daily Southern Cross, 16 May 1870, Page 6
May 6 : Arrived Sea Ripple, from 'Mauritius

Otago Witness Saturday 10th December 1870 page 12
Zingara, brig, 203 tons, Ockenden, from Mauritius, 23rd Oct. W.G. Turnbull and Co., agents.

Daily Southern Cross, 27 June 1870, Page 3
The brig Crown, which recently arrived at Sydney from Mauritius, reports sugar scarce and dear.

Otago Witness Saturday 10th December 1870 page 12
Zingara, brig, 203 tons, Ockenden, from Mauritius, 23rd Oct. W.G. Turnbull and Co., agents.

Otago Witness Saturday 28 January 1871 page 12
Arrived Port Chalmers Jan. 24- Marengo, barque, Speck, from Mauritius. Cargills and McLean, agents.

Otago Witness Saturday 13 April 1872 pg12
Arrived Edith Haviland, brig, from Mauritius with a cargo of sugars. She left Port Louis on the 6th February. In the 21st February experienced a heavy gale. A heavy sea struck her and smashed the after-part of the cabin, the skylight, bulwarks, &c. and washed away the man from the wheel. The skylight struck a man named Alfred Bryant, a native of Dorestshire, on the temple, killing him. He was buried the same afternoon.

Otago Witness Saturday 13 April 1872 pg12
Departure April 11 - Mary, brigantine, Agnew, for Mauritius. Master, agent.

Evening Post, 5 June 1872, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 4th June. Arrived Parana, from Mauritius, -with a cargo of sugars

Otago Witness October 26 1872
Arrived - Oct. 18 - Ocean Monarch, 228 tons, Carre, from Port Louis (Mauritius), Aug. 29th. Cargo - 345 tons sugar which was submitted to auction at the rooms of Messrs McLandress, Hepburn and Co.

Otago Witness November 2 1872 pg12

Arrivals Oct. 29 - Cantabre, French barque, 331 tons, Bonge, from Port Louis (Mauritius), Sept. 18th.

Otago Witness November 2 1872 pg 14
Nelson, Oct. 25th 1872
The brigantine Percy arrived yesterday from Mauritius with 9947 bags of sugar. She brings advices that two more vessels were loading at Mauritius for Nelson.

Evening Post, 19 November 1872, Page 2
LYTTELTON. 19th November. Arrived, yesterday Architect Renaud, from the Mauritius, with 300 tons of sugar.

Evening Post, 23 November 1872, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 23rd November.
Arrived Schooner Bertha, from Mauritius. She brings 247 tons of sugar,  80 tons for Lyttelton and 167 tons for Dunedin.

Evening Post, 29 November 1872, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 28th November. Arrived Sarah Dreyfus, barque from Mauritius, with 240 tons sugar; for Dunedin, and 150 tons for Lyttelton.

Otago Witness Nov. 30 1872
Arrival- Nov. 28 - Sara Dreyfus - barque, 333 tons, Bennison, from Port Louis, Mauritius, October 16th.

Otago Witness November 30 1872
Nov. 22 - Bertha, brigantine, 178 tons, Harrison from Port Louis, 6th October.

Otago Witness November 30 1872
Nov. 22 - Bertha, brigantine, 178 tons, Harrison from Port Louis, 6th October.

Evening Post, 5 December 1872, Page 2
LYTTELTON. 5th December. Arrived. Bertha; from Mauritius, via Dunedin.

Evening Post, 13 December 1872, Page 2
LYTTELTON. 13th December. Arrived Ayr, from Mauritius

Otago Witness Saturday December 21 1872 pg13 Arrivals
Dec. 13 - Queen of the South, barque, 376 tons, Adair, from Port Louis (Mauritius); 31st October. W. and G. Turnbull and Co., agents.

Otago Witness January 18 1873 pg12
Arrived - Jan. 11 - Ben Nevis, barque, 288 tons, Moodie, from Port Louis (Mauritius), Dec. 1st. Two thirds of the cargo of sugar from the Ben Nevis sold for 25s to 30s per ton.

Otago Witness February 15 1873 pg 12
, barque, 340 tons, Moir, from Port Louis (Mauritius),

Evening Post, 1 March 1873, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 28th February. Sailed Iris, barque, for Lyttelton, with part of original cargo of sugar from Mauritius.

Evening Post, 7 March 1873, Page 3
LYTTELTON. 6th March. Arrived Iris, from Mauritius via Dunedin.

Otago Witness, 19 April 1873, Page 12 Port Chalmers Arrivals
April 14 - Adelheid, barque, 289 tons, Dodd, from Mauritius, February 28th, Dalgety, Nichols, and Co, agents. Passengers: Mr and Mrs Grammet.

Otago Witness, 26 April 1873, Page 12
April 24 - Hadda, German barque, 320 tons, Henrichsen, from Mauritius (16th Feb.), via Nelson (l5th inst). Neill and Co., agents. Passenger: Dr Schubardett.

New Zealand Herald 27 September 1873 Page 2
The Margaretta brings 250 tons sugar for here, and 135 tons for Lyttelton. This is the first of the season's sugar from Mauritius.

Evening Post, 4 November 1873, Page 2
NELSON. 4th November. Arrived Minora, from Mauritius, with a cargo of sugar for Edwards and Co.

Evening Post, 9 December 1873, Page 2
LYTTELTON. 8th December. Arrived Emperor and Jane Rowland, from Mauritius, via Dunedin.

Evening Post, 12 January 1874, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 11th January. The Farningham has arrived from Mauritius.

Evening Post, 29 January 1874, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 28th January. The barque Otago has arrived from Mauritius

Otago Witness, 4 April 1874, Page 14
Port Chalmers arrivals:
March 31: Rose M. barque, 366 tons, Dennis, from Calcutta. Lange and Thoneman, agents. Passenger : Saloon - Captain Pendleton.

Evening Post, 4 August 1874, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 4th August. Arrived Barque Victorine, from Mauritius

Evening Post, 20 October 1874, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 19th October. The brig Alexandra, from Mauritius, with a full cargo of sugar, has arrived after a passage of 51 days

Evening Post, 10 November 1874, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 10th November. Arrived Arthur, from Mauritius.

Evening Post, 24 November 1874, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 24th November. Arrived: Barque Robert Jones, from Mauritius

Otago Witness Saturday 2nd January 1875 pg12
Arrived - Dec. 26 - Royal Diadem, barque, 474 tons, Dennis, from Mauritius. October 29th.

Evening Post, 22 March 1875, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 21st March. Arrived the French barque Lynx, from Mauritius, after a forty-four days' run.

 The Southern Cross 8 October 1875
Mauritius telegrams state that the 'Mayflower' had sailed for Dunedin and Lyttelton, the 'Lochel' loading for Lyttelton, and the 'Garrow' for a New Zealand port. Freights to Australia, 22s 6d to 25d.

Evening Post, 13 November 1875, Page 2
NELSON. 13th November. Arrived : Johannuverupp, from Mauritius.

Evening Post, 25 March 1876, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. 24th March. Arrived : Barque Indian Chief, from Mauritius, with full cargo of sugar.

Evening Post, 18 May 1876, Page 2
LYTTELTON. May 18 Arrived May 17th Tullochgorum, schooner, from the Mauritius.

Evening Post, 28 October 1876, Page 2
Nelson - Batchelor's American Diorama arrived from the Mauritius to-day, and opens here on Monday.

The Star November 11 1876
The three masted schooner Annie S. Hall, from Mauritius via Nelson, with part cargo of sugar for this port, arrived at 2 p.m. yesterday, having left Nelson Tuesday. The Annie S. Hall is a fine vessel, hailing from Boston, this being her first voyage. She turned out her cargo in Nelson in excellent condition.

Evening Post, Wellington, Tuesday 16th January 1877
Auckland, 15th January
Arrived - Pioneer, from Mauritius, with 230 tons sugar.

Evening Post  Tuesday 23rd January 1877
Lyttelton - Sea Belle, three masted schooner, from the Mauritius, 49 days out, with a full cargo of sugar.

The Star Saturday 5 May 1877
The braque Mangerton from Mauritius in Quarantine - 3 deaths on board. Left Mauritius on March 13, on March 17 a seaman named James CARNIE, aged 29 was found dead on deck.... heart disease April 22 - Stephen Kelly  seaman, a native of Galway, died of ... fever April 26 Robert W. Ketherick an apprentice, aged 16 native of Glasgow, died from dropsy. The Mangerton is an iron barque hailing from Sunderland.

The Star Monday Oct. 22 1877
Port Chalmers, Oct. 22
The German barque Marie, 43 days from Mauritius, arrived last night. She brings 300 tons sugar for Dunedin and 203 tons for Lyttelton.

The Star Saturday Nov. 17 1877 page 2
Nelson, Nov. 16. Captain Stukely, master and sole owner of the barque Emma, and a seaman named Carl Rubeg, were swept overboard and drowned on Nov. 1, on the passage from Mauritius. Another seaman was washed over the side by the same sea, but his leg became entangled in the main braces, and managed to scramble on board. The vessel was brought on by Mr Bloxall, chief office.

Evening Post, 11 March 1878, Page 2
LYTTELTON. 11th March. Arrived Pelham, barque, from Mauritius.

The Star Monday March 11 & Tuesday 12 1878 
The barque Pelham, a handy-looking iron vessel hailing from Melbourne; owned by Messrs Glenn Bros., of Greymouth, arrived from the Mauritius, with a cargo of sugar for Mr C.W. Turner, arrived in Lyttelton this Monday morning. Captain Duncan her master, reports that she left the Mauritius, on Jan. 21, and had moderate South-east trades, which were carried to 30 deg. South, then moderate and variable Westerly winds in running down the Easting on the parallel of 46 deg. South. Made the Snares on the morning of Feb. 4, and passed Otago on Wednesday. 

The Star Tuesday March 12 1878
Port Chalmers, March 12
Arrived - French barque, Ulysse, 43 days from Mauritius. She brings 12,181 mata sugar. Left Port Louis on Jan. 29, passed St. Paul's on Feb. 9, North Westerlies, Feb. 11. Experienced strong winds for north-west to south-west across Southern Ocean, with heavy seas.

The Star May 14 1878
Arrived May 14 at Lyttelton - Ebenezer, 3 masted schooner, 317 tons, Milne, from Mauritius, 48 days out. She brings 253 tons of sugar for Messrs Edwards, Bennett, and Co.

Evening Post 25 November 1878 Page 2
Nelson. 23th November. Arrived— Schooner Madcap, 42 days from Mauritius, with 300 tons sugar for Messrs. Sclanders of Co. and N. Edwards & Co., of Nelson.

Otago Witness Saturday 18th January 1879
Arrived - January 15th - Loweswater, barque, 603 tons, Lewis, from Calcutta. N.M. and A. Co. agents.
Arrived - January 15th - Amelie, barque 571 tons, Bertho, from Calcutta. Henderson Law and Co., agents.

The Loweswater, an iron barque of 603 tons register, and built at Whitehaven, in Cumberland, in 1876 reached the Heads on January 15th, with a cargo of castor oil, tea and sacks from Calcutta. She was towed up to Deborah Bay by the p.s. Koputai. The master reports leaving Calcutta on November 16th, towing down to Sanger Island and clearing the Sand Heads on the same night. The meridian of Cape Leuwin was crossed on December 30th in latitude 41 14 S. Passed the Island of Tasmania on January 6th.

The French barque Amelie, from Calcutta, arrived off the heads on the afternoon of the 15th instant and was towed up to the anchorage from the cross Channel by the p.s. Koputai. She was quickly boarded and cleared in by the Customs authorities, and the Press representatives boarding her they were received by Captain Bertho with that courtesy which always distinguishes French gentlemen. She is a wholesome-looking barque of about six years old, and was built near Genoa for her owners, who reside in Nantes. She has been trading to al parts of the world, we have rarely seen so perfect a bijou as Captain Bertho's state-cabin and saloon. To say that it is a museum in miniature barely describes it. trophies of arms collected from all parts of the world, birds, musical instruments, bronzes, and idols from India, Java and China, adorn the walls of the state-cabins, while evidence of the captain's skill as an artist are every where seen. The barque brings 700 tons of cargo, consisting of rice, castor oil, woolpacks, grain-sacks and gunnybars, and is consigned to Messrs Henderson and law and Co. of this city. Drawing some 16ft of water, she will necessarily discharge at the Port. Full report of the passage taken from his private journal:- Left Calcutta on November 11; was towed down to Sanger Island, and cleared the Sand Heads on the following day. Passed the island of Nicobar on the 19th of November, the equator, crossed on December 1st in longitude 94.30 E., Paris meridian. Off the island of Sumatra encountered a terrific cyclone, several very large trees, together with a number of native sampans were seen. The trades were true and strong 90 east of Paris on December 20th, when they gave out. The meridian of Cape Leuwin had been passed on January 1st, passed the island of Tasmania on the 8th instant. On the 14th instant made Cape Saunders. Sailed up as far as the Cross Channel and towed.

Otago Witness 1st March 1879
Arrived Feb. 20th
Marie, barque, 465 tons, Burmelster, from Mauritius, via Lyttelton.

Otago Witness Saturday 15th March 1879 pg12
Arrivals March 10th
Floral Star, barquentine, 240 tons, Davison, from Mauritius after a capital passage of 39 days. W. and J. Scoular, agents.

New Zealand Herald 20 March 1879 Page 2
The brig Annabell, which was expected to sail from New York for this port, is now on the way to Mauritius, and will there load with sugar to Melbourne, thence to Auckland.

The Star, 17 April 1879 pg2
The three misted schooner Edith May, from Mauritius for New Zealand, put into Melbourne for provisions on April 7.

Evening Post, 25 April 1879, Page 2
NELSON. 25th April. The brigantine Edith May arrived yesterday from Mauritius with a cargo of sugar for Sclanders & Co.

The Star 28 April 1879
The fore and aft schooner Pioneer, Captain Osborne, is now 72 days out from Mauritius with a cargo of sugar for Mr W. Saunders. Fears are entertained for her safety.

Lyttelton Times 19 May 1879 Page 4
The schooner Pioneer, about whose safety fears were entertained, arrived in harbour yesterday from Mauritius, having been obliged, to her protracted passage, to put into Wellington for water and provisions. Captain Osborne reports meeting with heavy head gales on the passage from this port, whence she sailed on Oct. 9. the passage occupying 101 days to Port Louis. Kangaroo Island was made the 76th day out, very heavy weather having been met with. The Pioneer left Port Louis on Feb. 17, and had fine fresh winds to Feb. 23, since which time a succession of light winds and calms were experienced for the remainder of the passage, to which, of course, is attributable the time it has occupied, 90 days.

Otago Witness 12 July 1879 pg13
J.M. Bunch, brigantine, 180 tons, Jaucka, from Mauritius.

Wanganui Herald, 2 December 1879, Page 2
Nelson, Dec 1. Arrived Aurela, sch from Mauritius, with sugar.

Timaru Herald 4 December 1879
Port Chalmers, arrived Dec. 3 - Emily, brig, from Mauritius

Otago Witness 6th December 1879
Arrived Dec. 2nd
Emily, brig, 190 tons, Osborne, from the Mauritius (Oct. 17th). The Emily is a wholesome-looking composite vessel, built by Messrs Hall and Co., of Aberdeen, in 1869. She was stripped, caulked, re-coppered, and reclassed in 1879. She brings 208 tons of sugar consigned to Messrs Dalgety and Co. Her passage has been a rather long one, 47 days from the Mauritius.

Timaru Herald 6 December 1879 pg2
Arrived Port Chalmers. The barquentine Albert Victor, from Mauritius and the French barque Alexandrine, from Mauritius, arrived last evening.

Otago Witness 27 Dec. 1879 pg12
Arrived on the morning of the 22nd, the barque Prince Hassan, from Mauritius, with some 250 tons of sugar, consigned to Messes Neill and Co., of Dunedin. She is a wholesome-looking wooden vessel of 400 tons register and was built at Shoreham in the year 1872. Captain Oliver reports leaving Port Lewis on November 5th. She spoke the German barque Marie from Calcutta to Lyttelton.

The brig Daisy, from Mauritius, with 200 tons of sugar consigned to Messs W. and G. Turnbull and Co., Dunedin, arrived off the Otago Heads on the forenoon of December 23rd. Towed to Dunedin by the s.s. Shag.

West Coast Times, 15 November 1882, Page 2
Port Chalmers, November 14. Arrived The Belle, from Mauritius

Hawera & Normanby Star, 14 November 1882, Page 2
Dunedin - Arrived the Bells, from the Mauritius

Otago Witness Saturday April 10 1880 page 14
Port Chambers Arrivals Monday - Locmariaker, from Mauritius
The French barque Locmariaker, bringing a cargo of 3000 tons of sugar, consigned to Messrs W. and J. Scoular, of Dunedin, arrived off the Taiaroa Heads on the forenoon of the 5th April, and was toed into port by the p.s. Titain, anchoring off Deborah Bay at 2 p.m. The Locmariaker was built at Nantes in the year 1874. Her dimensions are: Length overall, 160 feet; breath of beam 27 feet; and depth of hold 23 feet and 6 inches. She is a wholesome-looking craft, and is fitted to carry perishable cargo to any part of the world.

The barque Brisbane, bringing a cargo of 520 tons of sugar from Mauritius, and consigned to Messes Cargills, Gibbs, and Co., arrived at Port Chalmers at 5 30. pm on April 3, being towed into port by the p.s. Koputai.

Otago Witness Saturday April 24 1880 page 16
Arrived Port Chalmers on Thursday Alexa, from Mauritius

Otago Witness Saturday 12 June 1880 page 15
Arrived Wednesday: Pensee from Mauritius

Press 10 July 1880 Page 2
The brig Annabell, Captain Yates, cleared yesterday for Cape Town with a general cargo (a full cargo of grain) and seven passengers. She will proceed from the Cape to Mauritius, and load there for this port.

The Star Thursday October 7 1880
Lyttelton Arrived Oct. 6 - Smiling Morn, 244 tons, Williams, from Mauritius.

Press 14 March 1881 Page 2
Annabell, brig, 348 tons. Yates, from Mauritius, via Dunedin.  The brig Annabell, Captain Yates, with part cargo of sugar from Mauritius, arrived yesterday from Dunedin.

Otago Witness Saturday 5 November 1881 pg 14
Arrived Wednesday - Vivd, barque, Captain Peterson, from Mauritius (Sept. 27th) in 36 days, sugar-laden 260 tons consigned to Messrs Mackerras and Hazlett. Towed into port by the s.s. Plucky.

Otago Witness 19 Nov. 1881 Arrival Port Chalmers
Arrival of Veteran Friday the 11th November 1881 from Mauritius
Arrival of Sofia Monday the 14th November 1881 from Mauritius

Saturday 24 December 1881 pg 18
Arrival of Mountaineer Tuesday 20th December from Mauritius
Arrival of Edith May Wednesday 21st December from Mauritius

Otago Witness Saturday 28 January 1882 pg 14
Port Chalmers Arrivals:
Thursday - Jasper from Mauritius
Monday - Tarmow from Mauritius and Pennine from Mauritius

Otago Witness April 22nd 1882 Page 15
Arrivals - Asteria from Mauritius on Tuesday.

Star 24 June 1882, Page 3
Dunedin, June 24, Arrived — Ocean Banger, from Mauritius.

The Star 7 July 1882
Dunedin, July 7. Arrived - Jasper, barquentine, 48 days from Mauritius 

Otago Daily Times 15 July 1882 Page 2
The barquentine Jasper was towed from Dunedin and towed clear of the Heads yesterday afternoon by the s.s. Plucky, sailing for Lyttelton with original cargo from the Mauritius.

Otago Witness 18 November 1882, Page 14 Monday.
Arrivals: Bells, from Mauritius. The barque Bells, from the Mauritius, arrived off the Heads this evening, and was towed into port at, 9.25 p.m. by the s.s. Lillie Denham, anchoring off Dowling Bay. She brings 600 tons of sugar, 250 of which are for this port, and the remainder for Lyttelton.

Otago Witness Saturday 4 February 1882 or3 pg 13
Arrived Friday - Handa Isle from Mauritius

Otago Witness Saturday 6th January 1883 pg14
Arrived Saturday, Automne, from Mauritius.

Otago Witness, Saturday January 13th 1883 pg14
Arrived Thursday - Forest King from Mauritius

Otago Witness Saturday January 27th 1883, page 14
Wednesday arrival: Ocean Ranger, from Mauritius (December 14th)

Otago Witness, Saturday March 3rd 1883. Page 14
The barquentine Thornhill, from the Mauritius, arrived off the Otago Heads early this morning, and was towed across the bar at 10.30 a.m. by the ss Plucky, mooring at No.1 buoy at 11.30 a.m. The Thornhill is a handsome iron vessel of 274 tons register, and was built in October 1880 by Messrs Harvey and Co., of Hayle in Cornwall, for Mr T. C. Guthrie of Glasgow, the owner of the "Village" Line, of which she forms one. She brings a cargo of sugar, and will discharge at the Dunedin Wharf.

Otago Witness Saturday March 31st 1883 Page 14
Arrived Tuesday: The Norwegian brig Risoe brings 215 tons of sugar from the Mauritius, and is consigned to Messrs W and G Turnbull and Co, of Dunedin.

Otago Witness Saturday August 4th 1883 Page 15
Monday. Departures. Anna, for Mauritius

Thames Star, 22 October 1883, Page 2
Dunedin. This day. Arrived Comereant, from Mauritius.

West Coast Times, 6 November 1883, Page 2
Lyttelton, November 5. Arrived  Ocean Banger, 40 days out from Mauritius.

Otago Witness, Saturday the 10th November 1883 Monday Arrivals
La France, from Mauritius (September ?22)

Otago Witness Dec. 1st 1883 pg14
Arrived Saturday : Superior from Mauritius (Oct. 2)

Evening Post, 6 December 1883, Page 3
Dunedin, This Day. Arrived Anna, from Mauritius.

Otago Witness Saturday 22 Dec. 1883
Saturday arrival: Charite, from Mauritius (November 1)

We can congratulate Invercargill on the acquisition of the fine iron barque Gazelle, recently purchased here by Mr Waterson, of Invercargill. The Gazelle, 349 tons register, was built in September 1877, at Glasgow by Messrs A. Stephen and Son. She has just discharged a cargo of sugar from Mauritius in excellent condition, and is reported to be in first-class order in every respect. She left yesterday for the South, having previously been in the Floating Dock for examination.

Otago Witness Saturday 22 Dec. 1883
Saturday arrival: Charite, from Mauritius (November 1)

We can congratulate Invercargill on the acquisition of the fine iron barque Gazelle, recently purchased here by Mr Waterson, of Invercargill. The Gazelle, 349 tons register, was built in September 1877, at Glasgow by Messrs A. Stephen and Son. She has just discharged a cargo of sugar from Mauritius in excellent condition, and is reported to be in first-class order in every respect. She left yesterday for the South, having previously been in the Floating Dock for examination.

The Star Friday January 18th 1884 page 2 
Dunedin Jan 18. Arrived - Mataura, Captain Cruikshank, from London yesterday. On Jan. 7, during a southwest gale, Leon Oliver, aged 31 years, a native of Mauritius, ordinary seaman, fell from the fore-top, striking the topgallant rail. The captain endeavoured to wear the ship; but the man at the wheel reported Oliver dead.

Evening Post, 19 February 1884, Page 2
Captain Williams barque Onyx, Captain Salmon, was signalled all the morning, and was coming up the harbour as we went to press. She brings a cargo of sugar from Mauritius.

Evening Star 12 June 1884 Page 3
ARRIVAL OF THE NORTHERN BELLE. The barquentine Northern Belle, from the Mauritius, was signalled “ All well ” from the Heads early this morning and was tendered by the tug Plucky, which brought her up the harbor, under the charge of Pilot Paton, as far as the quarantine ground, where she was met by the Customs launch, having on board Dr Drysdale medical member to the Board of Health, Captain M'Callum, deputy health officer, and Mr M’Donnell, Customs surveyor. The answers to the usual questions being satisfactorily replied to, the officials proceeded on board, and the Northern Belle, being of a light draught of water, continued her course to Dunedin. The Northern Belle is a very sightly-looking wooden vessel of 214 tons register, and brings 10,530 packages sugar. The passage has occupied forty-four days, which is accounted for by the fact that on the second day out her fore-castle-trees carried away during a heavy squall, compelling her to make the passage under reduced canvass. She left the Mauritius on April 20 with a strong southerly wind, attended by heavy squalls, which continued until reaching latitude 35deg S. on May 9 ; thence she had moderate weather until the 12th, when she encountered a heavy westerly gale, attended by a high sea. during which part of her bulwarks was carried away. The gale lasted for forty- eight hours, and was followed by northerly winds, with occasional westerly gales until passing the meridian of Cape Leeuwin on May 25, when she took a N.W. breeze, passing the island of Tasmania on June 2; still keeping N W. winds, she sighted the West Cape on the 8th hist. ; thence had light winds and calms, sighting Cape Saunders at 2 p.m. yesterday and towing into port as above.

Evening Post, 23 December 1884, Page 2
The three-masted schooner Valador, 166 tons, Captain Black, arrived in harbour at 1 45 pm. today, from Mauritius. She has made the voyage in 43 days, and brings a cargo of sugar for W. and O. Turnbull and Co. Nothing particularly worthy of note occurred during the passage.

North Otago Times, 8 January 1885, Page 2
LYTTELTON. January 7. Arrived Viking, from Mauritius, with a cargo of sugar

North Otago Times, 11 March 1885, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. March 10. At the Heads, Granville, barquentine, from Mauritius.

Lyttelton Times 12 March 1885 Page 4
Port Chalmers, March 11. Arrived — Excelsior, 35 days from Mauritius, with 250 tons of sugar.

West Coast Times, 24 July 1885, Page 2
Wellington, July 23.
The barque Ganges, 1443 tons, Captain Ferry, arrived from Calcutta via Fiji this afternoon, with a cargo of wool packs, castor oil, &c; part of it is for Dunedin.

Otago Witness Friday 21 May 1886 page 15
True Blue, barque, 447 tons, Davison, from the Mauritius (March 24) W Scoular and Co. agents

Timaru Herald 6 July 1886
Port Chalmers, July 5. A Very Rough Passage.
Arrived - Thurso, barque, 37 days out from Mauritius. She brings 10,772 bags of sugar for Dunedin and 16,891 bags for Lyttelton. On June 8th she encountered heavy westerly gales, with terrific seas, which continued until the 19th, during which she list her maintop-sail and split her maintopgallantsail, shipping a large quantity of water. On June 30th Mrs Scoullar, the captain's wife, died from general debility, her body being committed to the deep on the following day.

Timaru Herald Saturday 5 March 1887
Port Chalmers arrived
March 4 - Thurso, barque, Captain Scoular, from Mauritius. She left on January 21st. She brings 260 tons sugar, ten tons fibre, and 400 tons sugar for Lyttelton.

Timaru Herald 10 March 1887
Port Chalmers - Arrived.
March 9 - Smaragd, Norwegian brigantine, Georgieson, 45 days from Mauritius, with 260 tons of sugar for Dunedin.

Timaru Herald Monday 9 May 1887
Port Chalmers - Arrived
May 7 - Lavinia, barque, Captain Valentine, 45 days from Mauritius, with 25,506 packets of sugar for Lyttelton.

Timaru Herald Tuesday 2 August 1887
The Press of yesterday says:- Mr John Grigg, of Longbeach, is shipping another consignment of 300 horses to India. They are to go by the steamer Bucephalus, a steamer chartered by Friedlander Bros., of Ashburton. A special train containing a portion of the horses passed through Ashburton, en route to Lyttelton, on Monday evening. The balance of the horses will be trucked at Winslow and sent through to Lyttelton by special train to-day.

Timaru Herald Wednesday 13 July 1887
Port Chalmers Arrived July 12 - Lady Agnes, from Mauritius.

Timaru Herald Wednesday 20 July 1887
The brig Rio Loge, which arrived at Lyttelton from Mauritius with a cargo of sugar on Sunday evening experienced an unusually large amount of boisterous and heavy weather during her recent voyage. Her galley, deckhouse, boat and other things on deck were washed overboard in a heavy gale on June 23rd. A mountainous sea was running at the time and the water came aboard in large bodies. The sea which carried away the boat &c. struck the vessel with such a force as to send her on her beam ends. While in this position a portion of the cargo shifted , and the vessel was only righted after a considerable amount of difficulty. As all the cooking utensils were washed overboard, and also the stove, temporary utensils had to be brought into use. When abreast of St Paul's Island a large water spout was observed, the length of which was estimated at about 780 ft. No serious accidents happened to any one on board during the rough weather.

Timaru Herald Friday 25 November 1887
The barquentine Jasper left Mauritius on October 11th with a cargo of sugar. She is 44 days out.

Timaru Herald Monday 12 December 1887
Port Chalmers - Arrived
Dec. 11 - India, barque, captain Jorgenson, 45 days from Mauritius. She brings 250 tons sugar for Dunedin, and 100 tons for Nelson.

Timaru Herald Thursday 29 December 1887
Arrived Port Chalmers - Dec. 28 - Salado, barque, from Mauritius bringing 11,132 bags sugar for Dunedin, and 9870 bags for Lyttelton. Dec. 30th. She experienced some heavy weather off Stewart's Island; about 50 feet of her top-gallant rail and all moveables on deck being carried away.

Otago Witness 19 October 1888, Page 18
Arrivals October 15— Okenbury, from Mauritius.

Timaru Herald Monday 28 January 1889
Port Chalmers Arrived
Jan. 27 - Paula, barquentine, Captain Breyman, 46 days, from Mauritius, with 250 tons of sugar for Dunedin, and 100 for Lyttelton.

Lyttelton Times 28 January 1889 Page 4
Expected arrivals: From Mauritius, via Dunedin Laira, barque, K.L.H.D.

Lyttelton Times 11 March 1889 Page 4
The barque Gazelle arrived from Mauritius yesterday with a cargo of sugar. She is commanded by Captain Munro, late of the schooner Crest of the Wave, who reports as follows of the passage Left Mauritius on Jan. 18, with fresh easterly breeze, which soon afterwards hauled around to the South-west. On Jan. 20 it went back to the North-east, and blew from that quarter until Jan. 25, when a southerly breeze was fallen in with. On Feb. 5 a strong North-west breeze set in, and towards midday increased to a strong gale, moderating on the following day, but increasing again on Feb, 7. On Feb. 8 a fresh West-north-we t breeze was experienced, which carried the vessel past the Leuwin on Feb. 17. North-westerly winds succeeded until Tasmania was passed on Feb. 25, in 47 deg South, Mode the West Cape of New Zealand, at 4 p.m. on March 2, and breasted Solanders at 6 p.m. Fresh westerly winds were experienced through Foveaux Strait, and light and variable winds along the coast. Sighted Akaroa light at 8 p.m. on Saturday and experienced North-west winds to arrival.

Timaru Herald Saturday June 1st 1889
Port Chalmers Arrived
May 31 - Thurso, barque, 45 days, from Mauritius. She has part cargo of sugar for Lyttelton.

Timaru Herald Tuesday June 18 1889
Port Chalmers - Arrived June 17 - Dartagan, French barque, Captain Louis, 58 days, from Mauritius. She encountered very heavy weather on the passage. She has part cargo for Lyttelton.

Timaru Herald Friday 16 August 1889
Port Chalmers August 15 - Jasper, barquentine, Captain Rodgers, 42 days from Mauritius.
Timaru Herald 19 November 1889
Port Chalmers, Nov. 18
Arrived: Alcestia, barque, Captain Morris, 37 days, from Mauritius. She brings 565 tons of sugar.

Auckland Star 12 December 1889 Page 4
The ship City of Benares reached Lyttelton last from the Mauritius, with a cargo of sugar.

Timaru Herald Thursday 19 December 1889
Port Chalmers, Dec. 18
Arrived - Laira, barque, Captain Hughes, 34 days from Mauritius. She brings 11,173 bags of sugar and 36 cases of exhibits for Dunedin; 5541 bags of sugar and 20 casks of molasses for Lyttelton.
Thurso, barque, Captain Stannard, 17 days from Mauritius.
The barque Pass of Levy passed the Heads, bound north.

Auckland Star 16 December 1890 Page 4
The barque Gazelle, of Invercargill, left Mauritius ou October 30 th with a cargo of sugar for Dunedin, and has just arrived at Port Chalmers.
The barque Laira, once a well-known Auckland vessel, flying Stone Bros.' flag, but now owned by H. Guthrie and Co. of Dunedin, arrived at the Mauritius on November 10th from the Cape of Good Hope, and was to load sugar there for Dunedin. Captain Hughes is now in command.

North Otago Times, 10 February 1891, Page 2
PORT CHALMERS. February 9. Arrived The barque Thurso, Captain Stannard, 53 days out from Mauritius, with a part cargo of sugar for Lyttelton.

Timaru Herald Thursday 10 April 1891 page 2
Mr C.W. Turner's brig Rio Logo lately from this port, goes from Newcastle to the Mauritius for sugar for New Zealand.

Timaru Herald Wednesday 23 December 1891
Port Chalmers, Dec. 22
Arrived - Jasper, barquentine, Captain Rogers, from Mauritius.

North Otago Times, 16 December 1892, Page 3
PORT CHALMERS. December 15. Arrived  Rio Loge, brig, from the Mauritius.

Otago Witness Thursday 6 Feb. 1896 page 38
Lyttelton, Jan. 31. The barque Dunblane from Mauritius to Picton, via Otago Heads, chartered by the New Zealand Shipping Company to load wool, put in last night for shelter.

Otago Witness February 20 1896 page 38
Port Chalmers. Feb. 15 - Chilka, s.s., 1450 tons, Jacobs from Calcutta (Dec. 30), via Singapore and the north. The Chilka, one of the British India Steam Company's fleet, has been chartered by the Union Steam Ship Company for their trade between Calcutta and Dunedin. She is a smart looking vessel, being schooner-rigged, and built of iron in 1878 by Messrs W. Denny and Co., at Dumbarton. She is engineered by the same firm and is fitted with double compound surface condensing engines of 194 horse power nominal, the diameter of the respective cylinders being 34in and 60in, with a stroke of 42in. She has been built in five watertight bulkhead compartments, and has a circular water-tight ballast compartment. Her dimensions are - length 285ft; breadth of beam 35ft 2in; and depth of hold 23ft 9in. This is her first visit to New Zealand waters as she has hitherto been entirely employed in the East India trade. She brings about 4000 tons of Indian produce for this port, and has 300 tons for the Bluff. The whole of the ship's company are Lascars, and number 76 in all.

Evening Post, 14 October 1940, Page 9
The death has occurred of Captain Hugh Monro, chairman of directors of the Canterbury Steam Shipping Company, at the age of 78. Captain Monro first went to sea in the famous barque Lurline and got his first command at the age of 22 in the brig Rio Loge, which was running cargoes from New Zealand to South Africa and Mauritius, returning with sugar. In 1889 with the late Mr. A. H. Turnbull, he began to accumulate a small fleet. Captain Monro commanded such well-known vessels as the. Manurewa, Kinclure, Timaru, Rona, and Durlow, and sailed to America and the Baltic. With Mr. Turnbull he formed the Canterbury Steam Shipping Company in 1900, and bought steamers for the coastal trade. He sold the last sailing ship Rona in 1911. Captain Monro was chairman of the Lyttelton Harbour Board from 1931 to 1935.

Otago Witness 18 January 1900 Page 71 A GOLDEN WEDDING.
On the 11th inst., at Daly street, Port Chalmers, there was celebrated the -golden- wedding of Captain and Mrs John Paton, they having been married on 11th January 1850, at Minikie, Forfarshire, Scotland, and a very unique circumstance connected with the ceremony was the presence of Mr James Scott, Mount Watkin, Waikouaiti, and Mrs A. Fullerton, Port Chalmers, who were best man and bridesmaid on the former occasion. Among the friends present were Messrs A. J. Burns (Philip Laing), J. R. Monson (John Wickliffe) and many other old identities. Captain Paton is a native of Arbroath, Forfarshire, and was born in August, 1825 ; Mrs Paton was born in the same year. Captain Paton left Dundee for Capetown and Melbourne in 1852 as master of the Thomas Worthington, which vessel he left in Melbourne, and took command of the Clutha, owned by Messrs Ross and Kilgour. Later he joined the Thomas and Henry, as chief officer, under Captain W. Thomson, and succeeding that gentleman in charge of the same vessel, bringing the first cargo of sugar to this port from Mauritius. After trading on the New Zealand coast for several years, he joined the Otago pilot service in 1862, remaining there for 34 years, resigning his position in 1896. Mrs Paton followed her husband oul to Melbourne, and latterly to Dunedin arriving in the Gil Bias in 1856. There are three sons, five daughters, and 21 grandchildren alive. The Rev. Mr Taylor conducted a short and appropriate service.

"Waves turn minutes to hours"

Memoranda of the Wreck of the Barque "Meridian" of London, Off the Island of Amsterdam [Extracted from the Port Louis newspapers 4th Oct. 1853]

The barque Meridian on a voyage from London to Sydney, with seventy-nine passengers on board, struck on a rock on the south-west end of the Island of Amsterdam, on the night of the 24th August, 1853. "On bumping the second time, writes one of the passengers, "every cabin between decks to leeward fell down, and the ship's bottom on that side was out. Under the advice of Mr. Leonard Worthington, the third mate we a remained between decks about two hours and a half, the water reaching my shoulders, and the ship reclining over at an angle of forty degrees.  When it became evident to Mr. Edward Tullock, the second mate of the barque, and to Mr. Worthington, that the vessel must part amidships, they came between decks, and with the assistance of Charles Snow, one of the seamen, got all the women and children up into the cubby.  Here we remained under their advice until daybreak, succeeded in getting off and over the wreck to the rock all the passengers who had remain in the cuddy."  On the 5th of September, having been twelve days on the island, the crew and passengers with the exception of two, who with the captain had been drowned, were rescued by an American whaling-ship, the barque Monmouth, and conveyed to the Mauritius. Leonard was awarded a gold medal and the sum of 50 pounds for an outfit by the Chamber of Commerce at Port Louis for 'appreciation of gallant services rendered by Mr Worthington in the cause of humanity'.

"On the night of the wreck, no eye was keen enough to penetrate the darkness of that which appeared a cavern - no one could see the cliff top under which we were. The two men came down amongst you in your peril - and at peril to themselves did do so - and said 'Cheer up! there's hope - stay where you are as long as you can; we will come again if any change keep your lamp alight.' They left you and returned to the place from whence they had come - the barque's main-top and then the two, with Mr. Tullock watched the gradual breaking up of the ship. When the moment came, their judgment the fittest, these three men did redeem their promise, and placed ourselves and children in the cuddy, which, compared to where you had been, was a place of safety. After the long night had passed these three men, without help from others, passed you over the wreck onto the rocks below beneath the cliff behind no foot could climb, and scare a ray of hope on either side. And when famine sorely tried men, and the children were spared a share of their food, although hunger keenly graved the giver. Men, who had no ties of family or blood, carried on bleeding feet strangers children, along the weary road you will not forget and cherished as best as they could, their infant charge at night time on the naked rock." said Mr Henderson a passenger with children.

Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, 14 January 1854, Page 7
(From, the Mauritius Reporter.)
The English barque Meridian, of London, of 579 tons register, on her voyage from London to Sydney, struck on a rock on the S. W. end of the island of Amsterdam, at about 7 p.m. on the 24th August, 1853. The vessel went to pieces almost immediately after she struck; and it is miraculous that, under such circumstances, we should have to deplore the loss of only three human beings. These are : Captain Herneman (late commander of the Meridian), Mr. Pfau (a Swiss passenger), and Thomas George, the cook. ......

I, Olwyn, am looking for more information on the "Meridian" and have information to share on the Worthington family. Louis Leonard Worthington was born in 1834 at Port Louis, Mauritius.  On his return to England five years after the wreck he was presented with another gold medal "England expects that every man will do his duty. Nineteen years of age." by the Duke of Marlborough. Leonard passed his Master's Certificate Exam during 1860 in London. We do not know when or how he died but his brothers, John & Robert, were sent out to New Zealand with a guardian on the Derwentwater in 1861 to establish farms and to get away from a career in seafaring. They settled at Pleasant Point, South Canterbury, NZ. Their father was a master mariner and in the 1830s Captain of Vessels and Trade at Port Louis. Edward Victor Worthington unfortunately lost his life by drowning from the ship "Ally" in the Hooghli River, India during the cyclone on 5 Oct. 1864. He was aged 31 years, a mate for the HM Bengal Pilot Service, and John's & Robert's brother.  Posted 1 Sept. 2000.

 I now believe Leonard probably visited Australia or New Zealand during some of his voyages and was an influence in the decision to send Robert and John to NZ.

Ship's Name 	Port belonging to 	Rank 	Date From Date To 	Remarks
Monarch 	Madras 			Boy 	 1 Nov   1849 to  3 May 1851  
Coromandel 	Madras 			Boy 	 3 May   1851 to 20 Oct 1851  
Cressy 		London 			O S 	19 April 1852 to 20 May 1853 
Meridian 	London 			3rd Mate 3 June  1853 to 24 Aug 1853 Loss in the wreck of the Ship Meridian
Hydroose? 	Bombay 			2nd Mate Served 11 months
C_____sian 	Calcutta 		2nd Mate  5 Aug 1854 18 Dec 1854 
C_____sian 	Calcutta 		1st Mate 15 Dec 1854 21 Feb 1855 
Antelope 	Calcutta 		1st Mate 24 Sept 1855 28 Nov 1855 
Vessels of the 3rd Mate I engage to produce them tomorrow March 12th
P&O Service 	London 			2nd Mate  1 Feb 1856  8 Jan 1858 
Brig___ian Service London Sailing 	Master 1 April 1858 1 Sept 1858 
Eliza Thornton London 			Chief Mate 18 Jan? 1859 3 April 1860 

The Times, Tuesday, Apr 13, 1852; pg. 1; Issue 21088; col A
For Calcutta, (to sail from Gravesend 17th April, last shipping day 14th, the ship Cressy, 720 tons register, J.D. Bell, Commander, lying in the East India Docks. Superior accomodation for passengers. For freight and passage apply the owners, Messrs D. Dunbar and Sons, Limehouse; or to Grierson and Tweeddale, 2 Cowper's Court, Cornhill

The Times, Tuesday, Aug 02, 1864; pg. 11; Issue 24940; col E
Deal. Aug. 1. Passed the Eliza Thornton from Singapore for London

Ye Mariners of England

Ye mariners of England 
That guard our native seas; 
Whose flag has braved, a thousand years, 
The battle and the breeze! 
Your glorious standard launch again 
To match another foe, 
And sweep through the deep, 
While the stormy winds do blow; 
While the battle rages loud and long, 
And the stormy winds do blow. 

The spirits of your fathers 
Shall start from every wave, 
For the deck it was their field of fame, 
And ocean was their grave: 
Where Blake and mighty Nelson fell, 
Your manly hearts shall glow, 
As ye sweep through the deep, 
While the stormy winds do blow; 
While the battle rages loud and long, 
And the stormy winds do blow. 

Britannia needs no bulwarks, 
No towers along the steep; 
Her march is o'er the mountain-waves, 
Her home is on the deep. 
With thunders from her native oak, 
She quells the floods below,-- 
As they roar on the shore, 
When the stormy winds do blow; 
When the battle rages loud and long, 
And the stormy winds do blow. 

The meteor flag of England 
Shall yet terrific burn; 
Till danger's troubled night depart, 
And the star of peace return. 
Then, then, ye ocean warriors, 
Our song and feast shall flow 
To the fame of your name, 
When the storm has ceased to blow; 
When the fiery fight is heard no more, 
And the storm has ceased to blow. 

Thomas Campbell (1774�1844) poem