NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

Arrival of the Northern Monarch in 1879

New Zealand Bound

Reference online: Papers Past Images online.


Star 1 February 1879
The ship Northern Monarch, Capt. Ransom arrived this morning, anchoring off Ripa Island at 9.30 a.m. She has some 355 immigrants on board and left Plymouth on Oct 31. The Health and Immigration Officers went off to inspect the ship at 11 o’clock, and shortly after their arrival alongside the yellow flag was hoisted and the ship placed in quarantine, there being measles on board. During the last month there have been 22 cases of measles among the children, and nine deaths have occurred during the passage, all children under eight years of age, and, with one exception, from bronchitis following measles. Two recent cases of measles occurred within the last week, and the Health Officer very wisely placed the ship in quarantine. There has been no other disease of any kind worthy of note during the passage, and Dr Rouse, the Health Officer, reports the ship as being very clean in every division. The immigrants will be landed at the Quarantine Station this afternoon. Messrs Edwards, Bennett ad Co. are the ship’s agents.


The Northern Monarch, iron ship of 1230 tons, built at Dumbarton in 1875. She sailed from Plymouth 31 October 1878 and arrived Lyttelton 1st February 1879 bringing out 350 Government immigrants and six saloon passengers to Lyttelton, making the passage in 93 days, port to port. Experienced fine weather, but only two days of easterly winds, instead of the regular north-east trades, and when running down the easting had very unfavourable weather. After sighting the Snares a heavy gale sprang up, the vessel being under lower main topsail for 25 hours.

Passenger List

Star 3 February 1879, Page 2 Lyttelton.
Arrived. Feb. 1— Northern Monarch, ship, 1230 tons, Ransom, from London via Plymouth. Edwards, Bennett and Co., agents. Passengers— Mrs Gledstanes, Misses Gledatanes (2), Mr Gledstanes, Master Gledstanes, and 348 Government immigrants.

Reference: Family Search
For Lyttelton pdf 386k
For Timaru pdf 344k

For Timaru

Timaru Herald, 23 December 1878, Page 2
Immigrants for Timaru. By the San Francisco mail of Saturday, the Immigration Officer, Mr LeCren, has received ship's books, &c. for the ships Waikato, Captain Worster, and Northern Monarch, Captain Ransom, both from Plymouth, for Timaru.
The Northern Monarch has 135 immigrants for Timaru, and 220 for Lyttelton. The following is the summary of the Timaru portion is families, comprising 69 souls, equal to 46 statue adults 38 single men, and 31 single women. Families without children 1. Total, 135 souls, equal to 115 adults. Nationalities English, 90 Irish, 36 Scotch, 8 French, 1. Occupations Farm laborers, 40 carpenters, 3 shoemaker, 1 baker, 1 gardeners, 2 shepherd, 1 agricultural laborers, 5 general servants, 21 cooks, 2 housemaids, 3 nurses, 2 dairymaids, 3 15 married women, and 36 children.

The Waikato has 157 immigrants for Timaru, and 141 for Lyttelton. The following is the summary of the Timaru portion 23 families, comprising 72 souls, equal to 56 statute adults 53 single men, and 32 single women. Families without children, 12 total 157 souls, equal to 141 adults. Nationalities England, 97 Ireland, 53 Scotland, 0 Belgium, 2. Occupations Farm laborers, 63 sinter; 1 wheelwrights, 2 bricklayers, 2 plasterers, 1 shepherd, 1 carpenter, 1 ploughman, 1 general laborers, 2 general servants, 32 married women, 23 children, 26. The Northern Monarch left Plymouth, at 2.415 p.m. on October 31st, and the Waikato at 7 a.m., November 1st, so that both vessels may be expected together about the end of January. The ships' books can be inspected at the Immigration Office.


Star 3 February 1879, Page 2
This ship was signalled early on Saturday morning, and at 9 30 she dropped anchor off Ripa Island. The health officer, Dr Rouse, and immigration officer, Mr March, went off to the ship at 11 o'clock, and shortly after their arrival alongside, the yellow flag was hoisted at the main, the ship being ordered into quarantine as there were two cases of measles on board at present. From what information we could glean we learnt that during the past month there had been 22 eases of measles altogether, two of them manifesting themselves within the last week. Nine deaths occurred during the voyage among children under eight years of age, all of them with one exception, being from bronchitis following on measles. No other sickness worthy of note has occurred during the passage, and all others on board the ship are well. The married people and single women were landed at Ripa Island on Saturday afternoon under the supervision of Mr March, and the single men will be landed at Quail Island this morning. The detention of the immigrants is not to be very long. The Surgeon Superintendent is Mr Lawrence Potts, who seems to have been extremely attentive to his numerous charges, and to have gained their esteem for the kindness and care shown during the passage. The ship, we hear from Dr Rouse, was in a very cleanly state in every division, which speaks well for all concerrned. The Northern Monarch is a very fine and powerful ship of 1230 tons register, belonging to the Royal Exchange Shipping Company, London. She is almost a new vessel, this being but her third voyage. Captain Ransom is in command, and this is his first voyage to the Colony. From him we learnt that the ship left Plymouth on Oct. 31, had fine weather, but only two days of easterly winds instead of the regular N.E. trades, and crossed the Equator on Nov. 30. The S.W. trades were fair, find after losing them favourable weather was mot with to passing 1 the Capo. Very unfavourable weather was met with running down the Easting, the wind being northerly, N.W., but nothing to the southward of west the whole time. The Easting was run down on a medium of 45 S. The Snares were sighted on Tuesday, and on Wednesday afternoon a heavy south-wear, gale was encountered, the vessel being under lower mintopsail for 25 hours. Made the Heads on Friday night, and anchored off Ripa Island at 9.30 a.m. on Saturday. The passage was unattended by any special incident, there having fortunately been no accidents of any kind. Both Captain Ramson and the doctor speak of the immigrants as a well behaved and orderly body of people. The following is a list of the deaths.
Jan.   5 — Gavin A. Croat, 16 months, from diarrhoea.
Jan.   8 — Jas. Elgar, 10 months.
Jan. 14 — A. Croat, 3 years.
Jan. 15— Thos. Weir, 1 year.
Jan. 19 — James Adanmsan, —  Florence Reece, 2 years.
Jan.   9 — Elizabeth Bond, 21 months.
Jan.   3 — Honora M'Grath, I year.
Jan. 29 — Beatrice Rodda, 2 years.
Two births took place during the passage in the families of Messrs Harrison and Rodda.
We have to thank the Health and Immigration Officers for their courtesy in furnishing information. The Quarantine Station, Ripa Inland, was visited yesterday morning by Mr March, who reported that all were going on well.

Star 4 February 1879, Page 2
Deaths at the Quarantine Station, Ripa Island.— The report from the above station yesterday was on the whole satisfactory. No fresh cases had occurred. An infant named John Warren died on Sunday. A death also occurred on the ship Northern Monarch yesterday of a child named Kate McGrath, aged seven years.

Evening Post, 8 February 1879, Page 2
The Northern Monarch was granted pratique this morning. A portion of the immigrants by her were released from quarantine.

Star 18 February 1879, Page 2
Immigrants per Northern Monarch. The remainder of the immigrants by this ship were landed from the quarantine station, Ripa Island, yesterday.

For the Old Country

Star 18 March 1879, Page 2
The Northern Monarch for London. This handsome vessel cleared at the Customs yesterday for London with a cargo of wheat and wool, valued at £17,160. She will sail with the first opportunity.


Southland Times 9 November 1903, Page 2 Wreck of a Barque
New Plymouth, Nov. 7 . The iron barque Northern Monarch, coal laden from Newcastle to Callao, went ashore at 6.30 this morning at Opunake, five miles north of Opunake. She left Newcastle on 4th October, under the command of Captain Nixon, with a crew of 34 all told. The second and third mates with 15 men have arrived at Opunake ; the captain and the remainder of the crew are standing by the wreck. The barque was seen by settlers standing down the coast close in shore. The sea was smooth and there was very little wind, so that there is no likelihood of the vessel breaking up at present. She is reported to be close in and on rocks. The scene of the wreck is between Cape Egmont lighthouse and Opunake Bay. If any attempt is made to get her off a great deal of the cargo will have to be discharged. (The Northern Monarch, at one time a full-rigged ship, is a vessel of 1148 tons, and had frequently visited New Zealand. She is about 27 years old, one of her early voyages being to Lyttelton with emigrants in 1879, her sister ship the Western Monarch sailing from Plymouth on the same day for Bluff with a large number of passengers. The Northern Monarch recently arrived in N.Z. with general cargo and left Wellington for Newcastle on 6th October.)

Poverty Bay Herald, 21 November 1903, Page 2
It is supposed, says an exchange, that the reef on which the Northern Monarch lies off Opunake is the identical one which the ill-fated Chinese corpse-laden Ventnor struck a short time backhand which caused her to afterwards founder. A little to the north is where the Harriett went ashore in the eighties, and further up still are to be found the remains of the Gairlocli and Lord Wolseley. On the Manaia side, about fifteen miles distance from the Ooanui, is where the Lizzie Bell was wrecked a little over two years ago, when twelve lives were lost. On the same spot the ships Annie Wilson, Mamara, and Manaia also ended their days. So that the coast has been, and is, fairly strewn with wrecks. At the sale of the wreck of the barque Northern Monarch at Opunake the hull brought £13 10s, the cargo of coal £36, and two boats £16 and £13 respectively.

Pen Portraits

Feilding Star, 24 May 1920, Page 2
Evening Post, 22 May 1920, Page 10
The celebrating of the golden wedding of Mr and Mrs Frank A'Court (senior), of Christchurch, took place recently. They were married at New Jersey in 1870, and came to new Zealand in the ship Northern Monarch in 1879 and settled at St. Albans, where they have lived continuously ever since. Mr and Mrs A'Court have five children living and 18 grandchildren. One son died of wounds in France and another, a member of the Main Body, has returned to New Zealand. Mrs. Sergeant, of Somerset-avenue, Wellington is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A'Court.

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District]

Brookland, Robert, Farmer, Kingsdown. Mr. Brookland was born in Devonshire, England, in 1852, and was brought up to farming. He came out in the ship “Northern Monarch,” in 1878, and landed in Lyttelton. For two years he worked on the Kingsdown estate, and then went to Pareora, and managed a farm for Mr. Bristol for a year. He then bought a house at Beaconsfield and worked in the district for two years, when he went into partnership with Mr. Abbott, and took up twenty-eight acres of Government land, which was increased to seventy-eight acres. The partnership was soon dissolved, and Mr. Brookland bought 153 acres at Kingsdown and leased 300 more. He has also since then leased a farm of 250 acres and another of 110 acres, both at Kingsdown, and works all the properties in conjunction. A year or two ago he imported a threshing mill, and bought a Haslem and Porter engine. His wheat averages sixty bushels per acre and page 1038 barley eighty bushels. Mr. Brookland is a member of the Order of Foresters, and a member of the Kingsdown school committee. Mr. Brookland's success is due to his persistent efforts, for when he landed in this colony, his total capital amounted to the small sum of eightpence. He was married, in 1880, to Miss Jane Gardner, of Devonshire, and has four daughters and two sons.

Papps, Tom Hale, Grocer and Provision Merchant, 195–197 High Street, Christchurch. Telephone 754. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand. Private residence, St. Asaph Street, Linwood, Mr. Papps, who is a colonist of about twenty-five years' standing, established himself in business soon after landing in Lyttelton. He was born at Trowbridge, Wiltshire, England, in 1856, and learned the trade with Mr. James Starling, grocer and provision merchant, of Birkenhead, Cheshire, About six years later he went to Bristol, and engaged in the same business there for two years. Mr. Papps then left England, in 1878, by the ship “Northern Monarch,” and reached Lyttelton in the same year.

Mr. John Robertson, Worshipful Master of the lodge, was initiated in March, 1881, as a member of Lodge Corinthian, No. 463, I.C., Christchurch, in which he held the office of Senior Deacon prior to its being closed. Subsequently, Mr. Robertson joined the Crown Lodge, and on the formation of his present lodge he became one of the foundation members. After passing through the various chairs he was installed in his present office in November, 1901. Mr. Robertson was born in Caithness. Scotland, in 1860, and came to New Zealand by the ship “Northern Monarch” in1879. Ever since his arrival he has been connected with the building trade, and in 1888 he started in business on his own account. He is a member of the Builders' Association. Mr. Robertson married in October, 1888, a daughter of Mr. Alfred Green, an old colonist of Akaroa, and has a family of two sons and one daughter.

TREZISE, Joseph Henry
Born in Helston, Cornwall 1859, son of John , (Farmer) and May. Arrived Lyttelton on ship "Northern Monarch" in 1879 and settled at Makikihi 1900. Farmed the Waikakahi Block V11,section 2. 1900-1919. Died 22 Sept. 1945, aged 86, buried at Waimate. photo