NZ Bound Index Search Hints Lists Ports
Samarang, bark, 582 tons, sailed from England 26th March 1852 under the command of Captain Escott and arrived Lyttelton, New Zealand 31 July with 121 passengers.
Brook, Mr. Frederick
Brook, Mrs Mary
Hall W. for Wellington
Brown Horace J. 26 M Gentleman Brown Mary Ann 26 F Frew Charles 16 M Solicitor Fonlger John 27 M Carpenter Fonlger Mary Ann 26 F Goodall Sarah 29 M Goodall William 32 M Settler Hichens Elizabeth 27 F Hichens Emma 15 F Hichens Grace 18 F Hichens Grace 53 F Y 5 Hichens Jane 22 F Hichens Mary 24 F Hichens Thomas 57 M Y 5 Agriculturist Hutton Henry John 23 M Stationer Immray William M Wigglesworth Elizabeth 48 F Governess Wigglesworth James 16 M Hairdreper Wright Fortunatro 23 M Y Settler Wright Mrs Louisa 20 F Y
Bray John 18 M Mason Clarke Thomas 33 M Agr. Labourer Collett Francis 45 M Blacksmith Coulson Alfred 28 M Carpenter Goodyear Samuel 22 M Carpenter Hancock Eliza 9 F daughter of Mrs Hunt Hichens Benjemin 12 M Agriculturist Hichens Thomas 14 M Agriculturist Hunt Ann E. 37 F Wife to Mr Hunt who sailed in the 'Stag'. Martin Charles 20 M Labourer Martin William 18 M Labourer Nelson Elizabeth 9 F Nelson Ellen 15 F Nelson James 41 M Y 2 Carpenter Nelson Jane 39 F Y 2 Payne George 20 M Shoemaker Piper Henry 19 M Sowerby Henry 18 M Pawnbroker Sowerby John 20 M Sailor Wilkinson Ellen 13 F Nurse Wright Charles 21 M Y Wheelwright Wellington Wright Eliza Sarah 20 F Y Wellington
Bathurst Caroline 17 F Bathurst Ellen 12 F Bathurst Emma 10 F Bathurst Phoebe 38 F 7 Widow Bathurst Richard 13 M Bathurst Sarah 11 F Bathurst Thomas inf M Bathurst William 15 M Baxter Archibald 26 M Carpenter Bidnead Charles 39 M Y Dairyman Bidnead Mary Ann 38 F Y Bryant Henry 41 M Y 1 Machinist Bryant Jemima 31 F Y 1 Bryant Maude 0 F Cloud Jane 28 F Y 1 Cloud Thomas inf M Cloud Thomas 25 M Y 1 Bricklayer labourer Collett Henry Cornl. 15 M Carpenter Devnie Elizabeth 19 F Y 1 Devnie John 21 M Y 1 Bricklayer labourer Devnie Thomas inf M Edwards Otavious 23 M Agr. Labourer Everest George 10 M Labourer nephew to Henry Everest Everest Henry 22 M Agr. Labourer Frost Hannah 22 F Y Frost James 23 M Y Agr. Labourer Hall Robert 24 M Carpenter Harrington Anna 18 F Domestic Servant Harrington Henry 1 M Harrington William 22 M Y 1 Wheelwrigh Harrington Marianne 24 F Y 1 Harrington Sarah 26 F Domestic Servant Harrington Amos 18 M Harrison Alice 7 F Harrison Eliza 11 F Harrison Emma 9 F Harrison George 6 M Harrison Hannah 12 F Harrison John 40 M 6 Tailor Harrison Kate 13 F Harrison Sarah 17 F Domestic Servant Harrison William 5 M Hill James 32 M Laborer Mr Phillips charatur? Medlyn John 32 M Agr. Labrer Phillis Charles 1 M Phillis Eliza 24 F Y 1 Phillis Thomas 26 M Y 1 Agr. Laborer Shalder Harriet 18 F Domestic Servant Shalder Robert 16 M Shoemaker Snell Joseph 17 M Agr. Laborer Stoud Henry 13 M Labourer Stubbs Francis W. 17 M Laborer Turner Caroline 25 F Y 5 Turner Caroline inf F Turner Fanny 9 F Turner Olive 7 F Turner Rhoda 4 F Turner Thomas J. 46 M Y 5 Carpenter Turner William 3 M Wilson Thomas 22 M Wright Frederick 19 M Carpenter 2nd cabin steward
Reference: Canterbury Association Shipping Office (London, England) Lyttelton Shipping List Published: Salt Lake City, Utah. Copy of passenger lists of some Canterbury Association emigrant ships held in the Canterbury Museum. Available on microfilm at Family History Centres worldwide through their loan programme. Item #1066515
Passenger Lists of Canterbury Association Ships published 1900 will contain additional details on the above passengers.
Ashburton Guardian, 20 January
1904, Page 2 Obituary.
Mr H. S. Brown
One of Canterbury's pioneer settlers, is the person of Mr Horace Simpson Brown, passed away at his residence, "Eliminook" yesterday, after a short illness. Mr Brown was a passenger by the ship " Samarary," [sic] arriving in Canterbury, whither he came to join his brother, Mr J. T. Brown, in 1852. He subsequently purchased a property, known as the Fauucet Farm, and after successfully engaging in pastoral and agricultural pursuits for some years, he sold out to the late Mr Lewis, the property being now in the hands of Mr Chas. Lewis, M.H.R. for Courtnay. In company with Messrs J. T. Brown and T. W. Maude, he purchased the Albion Brewery from the late Mr Geo. Willmer, and afterwards erected the Royal Brewery, a large stone building on the South Belt, Christchurch. Some years ago he sold out of the brewery business and went to Timaru, where he again engaged in farming. He joined the railway service in 1875, and was for over twenty years stationmaster at Papanui. Leaving the service about three years ago, he settled down in Ashburton, where he lived in retirement till the day of his death. , Deceased was the son of the Rev. J. Brown, chaplain at Norwich Castle, and was educated at Norwich. His widow is a daughter of the late J. Moon, of Folkestone, England. He leaves two daughters, one of whom is the wife of Mr C. J. Jennings, of Ashburton. Mr Brown was at various times a member of the vestry of churches of the Anglican denomination, and was a staunch churchman, taking a great interest in everything concerning his religion. He was one of the earliest members of the Canterbury, Pilgrims' Association and the first Canterbury Farmers Association, and was also an enthusiastic member of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry, which he joined shortly after its inception, The funeral will leave the residence of the deceased at 2 o'clock tomorrow, the interment taking place at the Ashburton Cemetery.
HALL: John arrived on the SAMARANG at Lyttelton.
He was lucky to meet John Robert Godley, followed by a dinner with James Edward Fitzgerald. As a result of the meeting with these two very influential men, he ascertained that the only available sheep runs were those south of Rakaia. He examined the area with two Maori guides and the Knight brothers, as his brother George had asked him to undertake the selection of a property on his behalf also. He then went to the North Island to look further, as he was not prepared to commit George to the South Island without being sure that it was the best option. He looked at the hinterland of Hawke's Bay, and was not impressed with the landscape there, so returned to Canterbury. He acquired Rakaia Terrace Station on 25th May 1853 - this is now known as Hororata - and advised his brothers George and Thomas that Canterbury was their best bet for farming. John HALL was knighted for his political services, particularly relating to his involvement in obtaining voting rights for women in NZ. Information courtesy of Wendy Morton. Posted 21 Feb. 2001. John Hall kept a diary was editor of the ship's newspaper "The Sootie Sammy", No 1 Apr 15 & No. 4 May 7. Faint photocopies are at the Alexander Turnbull Library in Wellington.
The Harringtons come from Essex, around Twinstead, and Mary Ann Jacobs, (Bildeston)
and Snells (Monks Eleigh) come from Suffolk, various villages and towns. Mary Ann and William Harrington, sen. were married c. 1850 in the UK before
coming to NZ. Wm. Harrington jun. and Marianne Snell were married in 1850. Mary
Ann Jacobs was first married to Joseph Snell, (Marianne's father) in Nedging,
Suffolk, UK on the 5 Oct 1826. Joseph would have died (date not known). William
Harrington and his wife Marianne (nee SNELL), their son Henry William, 1 year
old, Sarah Harrington, (who later married James Daniel GARWOOD, who arrived on
the Travencore, 31 March 1851, at
Lyttelton), Ann Maria Harrington, (sisters of William) and Joseph SNELL,
(brother to Marianne), and James FROST and Hannah FROST (nee Snell, sister to
Marianne) sailed in the Samarang from Gravesend and arriving at
Lyttelton on 31 July 1852. William was a wheelwright, Joseph Snell was an agr/labourer, Daniel Garwood was a labourer and James Frost was an agr/Labourer.
William and Marianne had six more children in NZ, Ernest Joseph, William James, Albert Edmund, Cyrus Selwyn, Rose Emily and Lillian Marian. Their daughter, Rose Emily HARRINGTON, married my grandfather, Charles William WARD, 10 September 1889, in Sydney, Australia. (I have yet to find out why they went to Australia to get married).
William became a builder in Christchurch. He and Joseph FROST (who arrived on the Grasmere at Lyttelton 1855), built the first Armagh Street bridge over the River Avon, at a cost of 300 pounds. They also built the school in Rangiora. William also made alterations for Matson and Torlesse, Accountants, in their offices. William was on the first committee that organised the Christchurch Mechanics Institute. He was also on the committee that formed the first Canterbury Rifle Corps. He was also given two grants of land, one in Christchurch, near Papanui, (50 acres, 1862), and one near Little River, Bank' s Peninsular, (25 acres, 1867), both signed by Sir George Gray, Governor of NZ. William' s name appeared in the Lyttelton Times dated 31 March 1855 on the Jury List. Papanui Road, Wheelwright. Wm. Harrington sen. died in Montreal Street. William Jr. and Marianne both died in Sumner, and are buried in the Barbadoes Street Cemetery. Wm. Harrington sen. died 7 Oct 1883, (Area 1, Row A, Plot 34-35), there is no headstone, just grass.
Mary Ann Jacobs was first married to Joseph Snell, (Marianne's father) in Nedging, Suffolk, UK on the 5 Oct 1826.
William HARRINGTON sen, also a wheelwright, (William' s father), and Mary Ann HARRINGTON (nee JACOBS, formerly SNELL, Marianne' s mother), (who married in 1850 before coming to NZ), Joseph FROST and Elizabeth FROST (nee HARRINGTON, William jun' s sister, and their daughter Sarah Emma FROST, William Dearsley and Sarah Emma Dearsley (nee SNELL, sister to Marianne HARRINGTON, nee SNELL), their two children Hannah Amelia and Joseph Henry and Robert DEARSLEY, William DEARSLEY' s brother, all arrived in the Grasmere 4 May 1855. William HARRINGTON sen. was first married to Jemima CURTIS, William HARRINGTON jun' s mother. The Harrington's come from Essex, around Twinstead, and Mary Ann Jacobs, (Bildeston) and Snells (Monks Eleigh) come from Suffolk, various villages and towns. Information courtesy of Robin Ward. Posted 24 Dec. 2006. Dearsley Street in Christchurch is named after William Dearsley (1821-1904), a labourer, who had arrived in Lyttelton in 1855 on the Grasmere. He had a small farm on Cashel Street East.
Wm. Harrington jun. died 16 Oct 1908, Mary Ann
Jacobs died 16 Feb 1891, Marianne Snell died 28 April 1904.
Entry in book titled St. Michael's Baptisms. 1851 - 1867. # 114.
Harrington, Ernest Joseph, born 24 June 1853, baptised 7 August 1853. Son of William and Marianne late Smith (appears to be a mistake about her maiden name). Christchurch, wheelwright.
Sponsors:- William Harrington, James Frost, Hannah Frost, Rev. J. Wilson.
Entry from book titled St. Michael's Baptisms, 1851 - 1867. N# 293
Harrington, William James, born 7 November 1855, baptised 2 December 1855.
Son of William and Marianne, nee Snell.
Sponsors:- James D. Garwood, Sarah Garwood, James Frost, Rev O. Mathias.
Rose Emily was baptised on Sunday the 19th
Sponsers were: Joseph Snib, Rose Anne Hale, Sarah Emily Dearsley.
The Knight brothers, Arthur Charles Knight and Richard C. Knight nephews of Jane Austen the writer acquired a property on the south bank of the upper Selwyn River in 1852 and named this station Steventon, after the village in Hampshire where Jane' s parents brought her up. Arthur, the elder of the two, had been in the Navy. Richard Knight remained on the station until 1866, when he sold Steventon, with 80 acres of freehold, to two young settlers, Henry Hill and Frederick Napier Broome, the second husband of Lady Barker. See the book Early Canterbury Runs. Jane had a brother Edward who was adopted by the Knight family. Edward took the Knight surname in 1812. Edward had a son Rev. William Knight. William's two boys sailed on the Samarang to Canterbury in 1852.
Press, 16 August 1904, Page 4 HENRY PIPER
Another of the early Peninsula settlers passed away on Friday in the person of Mr Henry Piper, of Duvauchelle's Bay. The late Mr Piper was born in Essex in 1833, and came to New Zealand in 1852, in the Samarang, the last of the Canterbury Association's ships. Shortly after reaching Lytteltan Mr Piper removed to the Peninsula, and started pit sawing, subsequently taking up land at Duvauchelle's Bay. In partnership with Mr Hodgson he started a sawmill, but in 1874 took over the whole concern, which he worked until timber gave out. He then commenced sheep and cattle farming, and during the rush on the West Coast took many drafts of cattle to the diggings there. Deceased took as active part in all public affairs, and was Chairman of the first Road Committee, afterwards being Chairman of the Akaroa County Council and Akaroa and Wainui Board for several years. He took a leading part in the formation of the first Pastoral Association, and was to the fore in all kinds of sport. Mr Piper married the youngest daughter of the late Mr John Domnett, who died in 1902. He leaves a family of four sons, who are engaged in farming in various parts of the country.
Evening Post, 22 April 1920, Page 7
AN EARLY PIONEER
DEATH OF SOUTH CANTERBURY
TIMARU, 21st April There died at Geraldine this morning, aged 85, Francis Stubbs, the oldest white inhabitant of South Canterbury. He was a native of Coventry. He came to Lyttelton in the Samarang in 1852, and assisted in bringing the first cattle to South Canterbury (The Levels) for Rhodes Bros, in the same year. At that time the track followed adhered to the coast, and wild dogs were met with near Ashburton. He saw the first small house erected in Timaru, and a few earlier comers (the sheepmen) lodging in old Maori huts of grass. Mr. Stubbs remained in the employ of Rhodes Bros, between four and five years, and then managed the Pareora station for Harris' and' Innes for six years. Subsequently he started the first auctioneering-business in Timaru. On the formation of the Geraldine county he was appointed clerk, and held that position till he retired six or eight years ago. He was secretary of the A. and P. Association, and was for many years a member of the Timaru Road Board. He held the rank of lieutenant, in the Artillery Volunteers, and was a member of the Masonic body. He was an excellent officer of the county, and highly esteemed by all. He married a Victorian lady (Miss Crawley), and had a family of six sons and three daughters. Mr. Stubbs had a wealth of memories of the early days, and enjoyed relating his experiences.
Another vessel with the same name: Samarang, ship,1175 tons, Length: 189 Breadth: 39 Depth:22 was built in1857; St. John, New Brunswick, Canada. Sold to James Baines & Co., Liverpool. (Black Ball Line). Wrecked; 1884/10; Redcar, England Ref: Wallace Ship list
This page may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion, wholly or in part, except for private study.