Children's Home, Greene County, Pennsylvania, 1900
Morgan Township, Greene County, Pennsylvania, A.D. 1900*
1. Porter, Justice S Head w m Dec 1849 50 m 18 PA PA PA St**a*t 0 yes yes yes O F F 28
2. Porter,Salina wife w f Dec 1863 36 m 18 1 1 PA PA PA yes yes yes
3. Porter,William son w m June 1883 18 s PA PA PA at school 7 yes yes yes
4. Meane, Emma servant w f Unk 1868 31 s PA UNK UNK servant 0 yes yes yes
5. Nicely, Elizabeth servant w f Unk 1860 40 s PA PA PA servant no no yes
6. Varner, Ida servant w f Aug 1874 25 s PA UNK UNK servant 0 yes yes yes
7. Rose, Sarah servant w f Aug 1880 *20 s PA UNK WVA servant 0 yes yes yes
8. *icley, Tillie servant w f Oct 1880 *20 s PA UNK PA servant 0 no no yes
9. Elex Read servant w f Unk 1880 20 s UNK UNK UNK servant 0 yes yes yes
10. Varner, Gertrude inmate w f Nov 1883 16 s PA UNK UNK inmate yes yes yes
11. Shu?ts, Jea* inmate w f Unk 1886 14 s PA UNK PA inmate yes yes yes
12. Ganeer, John inmate w m Unk 1890 10 s PA PA PA inmate
13. Samuels, Francis inmate w m Unk 1880 20 s UNK UNK UNK inmate 7 yes yes yes
14. Smith, George inmate w m Unk 1893 6 s UNK UNK UNK inmate
15. Sickels,Sickels* inmate w m Unk 1891 9 s UNK UNK UNK inmate
16. Sickels, Clara inmate w f Unk 1893 7 s PA UNK UNK inmate 7
17. Sickels, Melven inmate w m Unk 1896 14 s PA UNK UNK inmate 7 no no no
18. Stownking,Eli* inmate w m Unk 1893 7 s PA WVA UNK inmate 7
19. Stownking, Robert inmate w m Unk 1892 8 s PA WVA PA inmate 7
20. England Agnus inmate w f Unk 1893 7 s PA ENG WVA inmate 7
21. Stickels, Ada inmate w f Unk 1896 4 s PA PA UNK inmate
22. Olifant, Nannie inmate w f Unk 1891 9 s PA PA PA inmate 7
23. Stwart*, Alva inmate w f Unk 1883 17 s UNK UNK UNK inmate 7 no no yes
24. Stwart*, Herman L inmate w m Unk 1884 16 s UNK UNK UNK inmate 7 no no yes
25. Stwart*, John G inmate w m Unk 1892 8 s UNK UNK UNK inmate 7
26. Stwart*, Albert A inmate w m Unk 1893 7 s UNK UNK UNK inmate 7
27. Stwart*, Grover C inmate w m Unk 1897 13 s UNK UNK UNK inmate
28. Cunigum, Dode* inmate w m Unk 1890 10 s PA UNK UNK inmate 7
29. Cunigum, Goldy* M inmate w f Unk 1892 8 s PA UNK UNK inmate 6
30. Burge, Joseph inmate w m Apr 1887 13 s WVA WVA WVA inmate 3 yes no yes
31. Numan,Frank inmate b m Unk 1896 4 s VA PA PA inmate
32. Ogden, Fred inmate b m Unk 1892 8 s PA PA VA inmate 3
33. Gusman, Lizzie* inmate w f Nov 1894 6 s PA PA PA inmate
34. Gray, William inmate w m July 1894 6*s PA PA WVA inmate
** Transcriber's Notes **
Columns above represent Name, Relation, wolor, sex date of birth age last birthday, marital status,Place of Birth
of this Person, Place of Birth of Father, Place of Birth of Mother, Occupation or trade, Months not employed,
Attended school (in months), can read, can write, can speak English, Ownership of home (owned or rented; Owned
free or mortgaged; Farm or house; Number of farm schedule)
Transcriber made the following abbreviations for this transcription: PA -- Pennsylvania, WVA -- West Virginia,
VA -- Virginia, UNK -- unknown.
No address was given for this orphanage in this census. Orphanage is located in Morgan Township.
Number of Dwelling house, in order of visitation was 28; Number of family, in the order of visitation was 28.
This census was taken 4^th day of June, 1900, by Thomas Thistlethwaite.
1 Occupation is hard to read; could be "Stewart"
7 In the original document, just above the age "20", "19" is also written in very lightly
8 Surname for this person is hard to read; could be either Nicely, Nicky, or Hicky. In the original document,
just above the age "20", "19" is also written in very lightly
11 Surname for this person looks like either Shutts or Shults. First name in original document for this person
looks like "Jea", but could possibly be something else; very hard to read
15 Complete name for this person appears in the original document as "Sickels, Sickels"
17 In the original document, the year of birth for this person appears clearly as 1896; the age for this person
also appears clearly as 14.
18 First name for this person could be Eli or Elis; hard to read
23-27 Surname for #23 is hard to read; the name looks like "Stwart" but could possibly be Stewart. Numbers 24-27
have a straight line in place of each surname representing "same as above" (in reference to line 23)
28,29 Surname and first names for these two persons appear in the original document as transcribed above. The
first name of #28 quite possibly could also be read as "Dude" or "Doile", but "Dode" is best interpretation
for this transcriber.
33 Surname for this person could be either Gusman or Gussman, possibly Gusaman.
34 In the original document, the age of 6 for this person has been written over, possibly with the numeral 8
University Microfilm International, 1900 US Federal Census, Pennsylvania Schedules, Greene County,
Morgan Township, Vol 93 & 94, E.D. 93, Sheet 2
This list was Transcribed by
6 April 2001
for The Orphans' Home Website