New Zealand Herald August 19th 1875

The powerful Sunderland-built ship Alumbagh, 1187 tons, belonging to Messrs Dunbar and Co., London, and under charter to the New Zealand Shipping Company, arrived in our waters yesterday, after a passage of 100 days from port to port. She brings general cargo and 418 immigrants, the latter being under the charge of Dr. Warren who came out to this port in the James Wishart in the capacity of surgeon-superintendent. Of the passage of the ship Captain Lowe reports as follows: -

May 6, 1875 hauled out from the S.W. India Docks and towed down to Gravesend; 7th, embarked immigrants; 8th, surveyors passed the ship; 9th, unmoored and towed down to the Nore; set sail, wind S.W.; 2 p.m. came to an anchor in the Downs; 10th light winds from N.N.E., proceeding down Channel; 11th, 12th and 13th, light winds from W.S.W., tacking ship down Channel; 14th and 15th, light winds from N.N.W.; 16th to 18th, light variable winds; 18th to 26th, light moderate winds from N.E. to N.N.W.; 27th to 4th June, moderate N.E trade wind; June 1st spoke ship Leander, from London to Sydney, 17 days out; 5th to 10th calms and light variable winds, crossing the Equator; 11th to 21st fresh S.E. trade winds; 18th, passed barque Morgan from Cardiff to Aden, 45 days out; 24th, fresh N.N.W. winds; 25th, fresh N.W. gales, with heavy squall; 27th, strong gale from N.N.W.; shortened sail to double-reefed top? Very heavy squalls and high seas; 2 p.m. gale increasing with a terrible sea; 8 p.m. heavy post struck starboard life raft and completely stove in bow and bilge, carrying away poop sail and covering board; the heavy sea then running made it necessary to swing in port life-boat; 28th and 29th, strong N.W. gale, with a heavy sea, and the ship reeling heavily; 30th to July 3rd, moderate N.W. winds; 4th strong westerly winds, ???? top??? yard carried away in the slings; 5th to 9th, moderate winds from W to W.W.; 10th to 12th, fresh N. and N.W. winds, with heavy squalls, ship rolling heavily; 13th to 16th, strong winds from N. to N.E, hard squalls and heavy rain. July 16th, latitude 41.42 S., longitude, 60.33 E., Cape of Good Hope, N. 76., E. 220 miles; 16th to 22nd, strong N.W. winds, with hard squalls; 23rd, hard gale from N., with very heavy sea; 24th to 27th, stiff north-easterly gales; 27th 5.30 a.m., part of misen topsail yard carried away, furled the sail and secured the yard; 28th to 30th, steady westerly winds; August 1st, light N.E. winds, with a heavy swell from south, ship rolling very heavily; 2nd, strong N.W. gale, with heavy sea; 4th and 5th, light N.E. winds; 6th and 7th, calms and light variable winds; 9th to 13th, moderate S.W. winds; 11p.m., sighted Three Kings; 14th, fresh S.E. winds and high swell, ship pitching heavily; 15th and 16th, moderate breezes from S.E., with clear weather.

A clean bill of health being presented. Captain Burgess, the chief pilot, brought the ship up harbour, where the usual Health Officer’s inspection took place, resulting satisfactorily. A flattering testimonial was presented to Captain J. G. Lowe, D. Warren, and officers of the ship on her arrival for the kindness and attention bestowed on the passengers during the voyage. The testimonial was signed by all the passengers. The following testimonial was also presented to Dr. Warren by the commander, officers, matrons, and others: - "Dear sir, - As some slight acknowledgment of the care, prudence, and attention all on board have uniformly experienced from yourself during the voyage to Auckland, we desire to offer you our very best thanks. We feel that you have done your utmost to ensure the comfort of every one, and we hold ourselves highly indebted (under Providence) to your skill for the measure of health we now enjoy. We earnestly trust that you may be blessed with long life, good health, and plentiful prosperity.- We are, dear sir, very gratefully yours." (Here follow the signatures) The following is a list of the births and deaths that have taken place on the passage: - Births: May 7: - Mrs Cassalton of a son; June 24 – Mrs Nelder of a son. Deaths: May 24 – Samuel M. Vaut, aged 11 months, measles; May 24 – Albert Nelder, aged 17 months, measles; June 1 – Henry Barber, aged 10 months, measles; June 8 - Margaret Armstrong, aged 11 months, measles; June 12 – Richard McCulloch, aged 11 months, measles and bronchitis; June 14 – George Stevens, aged 13 months, measles and bronchitis; June 15 – Eliza A. Millbank, aged 11 months, diarrhoea and measles; June 18 – Nathaniel Stevenson, aged 20 years, inflammation of lungs; June 20 Gertrude Norgrove, aged 13 months, diarrhoea and bronchitis; June 25 – Mary Beale, aged 24 years, phthisis; June 29 – George Pickering, aged 1 year diarrhoea and debility; July 17 – Frederick W. Davis, aged 9 months, debility; July 23 – Emelia Theresa Shepherd, aged 7 months, bronchitis; August 4 – Henry Jones, aged 7 months, bronchitis and debility; July 4 – Harry Jones, aged 14 months, bronchitis.



By the arrival of the ship Alumbagh, from London, we are placed in possession of the following information by Captain Lowe, concerning a disaster that has occurred at sea to some unfortunate vessel, the name of which is at present unknown: - June 24, passed an abandoned ship close enough to make out that she was an iron ship, totally dismasted, and floating very light; evidently been burnt out, the stern being too charred to make her name; position 26 deg. 29 min. S., 31 deg. 18 min. W. a full-rigged ship in company also saw the derelict. She was apparently a vessel of between twelve and fourteen hundred tons."

We find on reference to a late Liverpool Mercury that the abandoned ship has been sighted by other vessels and reported at home, such information being afforded that may eventually lead to her identification. The Liverpool Mercury, of the 25th June, reports that "late on Wednesday night, the French steamer Augustine Edwards anchored off Falmouth, from Iquique for orders, and Captain Etchwary reported that on the 7th May, in lat 27.35 S., long, 32.30 W., he passed a large iron ship, entirely burnt out, and with no signs of life on board. The sea was too rough to permit the boarding of the derelict, but the captain made out on her stern the letters T. J.,……..