Ship: 138 tons
: David Ritchie
Surgeon Superintendent: Dr Ellison
Sailed Glasgow December 28th 1840 - arrived Auckland (Manukau Harbour) October 27th 1841

The description of the ship & her crew is in the records of  the British Registry. 138 Tons.  Built at St John in the Province of New Brunswick and launched on the 6th June 1840. She had 3 masts and a quarter deck, was Barque rigged and was 103 ft long,and had an armour figurehead. A John LAMONT, Merchant of Greenock, was the sole owner. The Brilliant arrived in the Manukau from the Clyde 29th Oct. 1841 There were 27 Immigrants from Scotland in all . 16 Men, 8 Women, & 3 Children.

Our sincere thanks to Trish Heaven for providing this passenger list. Many more left Glasgow on board the Brilliant but they departed the vessel in Ireland & Australia. These few are those who remained on board and completed the voyage

The Brilliant and the settlement of Cornwallis

Name Age County Occupation & Comments
Adams James Drowned in Manukau Harbour
Bain John Watson Inverness
Anne nee McPherson - later Mrs M Coyle
James Born on board
Ellison Dr Surgeon on board
Forrest Mr
Glover Janet Servant - married Mr Rome, 1st Officer on the Brilliant
Henderson Thomas Grassmarket Cooper
Holmes David Ross Farmer
Lawlor Henry Charles Edinburgh Lawyer
Ann Caroline
Annie Caroline Born on board - 11/07/1841
McAlpine Mr
McGregor Thomas Inverness Cartwright & Sawyer
Jane nee Gowan
2 children
McLachlan J Lachlan
Smith James Beith
Plus five other men.


LAWLOR family
Henry Charles LAWLOR was born 19 Dec. 1814 at Serangapatam, Madras, India. His wife Anne Caroline LAWLOR (nee THOMAS) was born 28 Jan 1817 at Cawnpore. Bengal India.(Both their fathers were Captains in the East India Co. Army.)They were married at St Mary's Church Edinburgh after Henry had finished his Law Apprenticeship. After deciding to emigrate to the new Colony, NZ they left Greenock Harbour aboard the ship Brilliant on 28 Dec.1840. A daughter Annie Caroline LAWLOR was born enroute on 11 July 1841. The voyage out was to take 10 months, (one of the longest recorded journeys to NZ) when it was announced at the little settlement of Cornwallis NZ that the Brilliant had reached Manukau Heads there was much surprise as the vessel had been given up for lost. On 29 Oct. 1841 the Brilliant came up to Cornwallis and landed her stores and the new settlers onto the beach. There was no 'Town' , the local Maoris from the Awhitu Peninsula across the Manukau Harbour came to help the settlers build Raupo (flax) huts.The Maoris also provided the settlers with Fresh produce.  Henry took shares in a Sawmill at Cornwallis (Karangahake) which failed after six months and the Company went bankrupt. Henry and Ann went back to the first cottage which they had built at Cornwallis, the family continued to live there for nine years during which time two more children were born. In 1850 the family moved to Onehunga, Auckland where Henry was appointed Clerk of the Bench by his Excellency Sir George Grey. Five more children were born in Onehunga plus one son in Victoria Australia.Henry was appointed Resident Magistrate at Coromandel, Thames 1863. During this time Henry and Anne were apart for three years because of the Maori Wars. Henry's Appointment was terminated in 1868 and the family retired to Tararu on the Thames Coromandel Coast. Henry died 4 Dec.1894 six months after his wife Anne who died 2 Aug 1894. They are buried at the old Tararu Cemetery overlooking the Firth of Thames. If you have a connection with this family or would like to know more please contact Patricia Carol Heaven or Geraldine Dunwoodie


Copyright Denise & Peter 2001, 2002

Trish Heaven
Brett's Early New Zealand

New-1.jpg (6282 bytes)