Brigantine: 120 tons
Captain: W Mercer
Surgeon Superintendent:
Sailed London 20th January 1841 - arrived Wellington 15th June 1841

Name Age Occupation County
Adam Captain
Chetham Alfred
Chetham Edward
Gordon Mr
Haswell J. Partis
Hawkins George 23 Weigher & gauger Believed to have travelled out to New Zealand on the Tory. He then went back to England and came out to New Zealand again with his wife on board this ship.
Emma 23
Lett Charles c 30 Oxfordshire
Mercer Mrs Wife of the Captain
Watson T H


HAWKINS family:
Following the arrival of George and Emma (nee Croxen) HAWKINS in Wellington, Emma gave birth to a daughter named Louisa. Louisa later married William FITCHETT who, along with his family, arrived on board the ship London in 1842. George is believed to have travelled out to New Zealand first on the Tory, returned to England and then sailed bay to New Zealand by the Harrington with his wife.


Charles was born in Wallingford, Oxford, England in approximately 1812 and educated at Trinity College and later Oxford University. On 20th January 1841 he sailed to New Zealand on board the 120 ton brigantine HARRINGTON with 11 other passengers, arriving in Port Nicholson on 15th June 1841. He became Deputy Post Master in Wanganui and, being a keen sportsman, involved himself in cricket and rowing. An avid follower of racehorses Charles also helped establish the Wanganui Racing Club. Later he was involved in the acquisition of land in Taranaki from the Maori. Sadly, over the years, Charles had also become addicted to alcohol. On leaving Oxford, Charles had left behind a mistress - a lady named Isabella Mendes/z. Isabella was an only child and had travelled with her parents to England, leaving from the South of France near the Spanish border (we can only assume they left because of the French Revolution). She produced three sons for Charles, Charles jnr, James & John. Isabella and the three boys came out to New Zealand on the STATELY sailing from England on the 29th October 1853, arriving at Port Nicholson on 7th March 1854. They made their way to be with Charles in Wanganui. A Reverend Taylor tried in vain to marry Charles and Isabella but Charles obstinately refused. He chose instead to go back to the bottle and died only 5 months later in Wanganui in August 1854 aged 43 years. Isabella later married a Mr McLaren on September 5th 1856 and lived until she was 64 years old. She died on December 19th 1880 at "Carlyle" in Patea and is buried in an unmarked grave there. If you have a connection with this family or are interested in learning more please contact Marilyn Robertson.

Copyright Denise & Peter 1999, 2000 & 2001

Various Sources

New-1.jpg (6282 bytes)