Some modern day photos of Phillack and Hayle taken by Charles Winpenny and reproduced with his kind permission.  A link to Charles' website can be found here.

Click on a thumbnail image to see the full size photo, then use your browser's back button to return to this page.

An Angarrack Village scene

More of Angarrack Village

Angarrack Inn

A River Hayle scene

The tide is out on the River Hayle. Looking upstream towards the railway viaduct (Jan 2006)

Looking towards the mouth of the River Hayle (Jan 2006)

East Quay

Flowerbeds in a Hayle street scene

Hayle on a bright summers' day (Jul 2006)

King George V Memorial Walk, Hayle (Oct 2007)

King George VI Memorial Plantation has good views over Hayle. This was the site of an Iron Age castle known as Carnsew Fort.

The railway line across the viaduct to Hayle railway station.

Newly constructed workshops have been developed on the site of the old Harvey's Foundry buildings, reusing the old walls where possible.

This part of Harvey's Foundry has yet to be refurbished.

Another view of Hayle with St Elwyn Parish Church on the skyline.

Here is where Carnsew Pool, originally constructed by Harvey's in 1834, empties into the harbour

Zooming across Carnsew Pool to the mouth of the River Hayle.

Copperhouse Pool, Hayle with the tide out

River Hayle estuary and Towans

Hayle Towans and St Ives Bay

Riviere Towans - the sign says so

Phillack's Parish Church dominates the local scene (Jul 2006)

A Phillack Village scene

The whitewashed inn, 'The Bucket of Blood', at Phillack

See below for the legend behind the inn's sign

Phillack from across the River Hayle at Lelant

Another view of Phillack taken from Lelant

River Hayle Estuary and the Towans with Phillack in the background from Lelant (Jun 2006)

An artistic map of the Hayle - Gwithian Towans embedded in the Towans

The view towards Godrevy from the sand dunes of Phillack Towans.

Enjoying the beach - Hayle Towans (Jun 2006)

Looking back from the Towans to the Hayle Causeway (Jul 2006)

Ruins of National Explosive Works in Gwithian Towans where many from Phillack & Hayle worked between 1888 and 1919

A view from Trencrom Hill : Hayle with Camborne-Redruth and Carn Brea in the distance

Another view from Trencrom Hill : Hayle Towans and in the distance, St. Agnes Beacon

Work on the Wave Hub, which will be the world's largest test site for wave energy, continues at Hayle Towans (Aug 2010)

Across the bay (from Lelant) at Hayle Towans it looks crowded as it nears high tide (Aug 2010)

A local boat entering the River Hayle. The cable laying ship, Nordica is in the background (Aug 2010)

The Black Bridge, built 1818 by the Cornish Copper Company.

See below for the complaint by Parson Hockin.

Riviere Cottages, built by the Cornish Copper Company in 1793 and restored in 1996, these cottages were formally used as alms houses

St Elwyn's Church

The  Bucket of Blood Legend
The story goes that a deep well served the inn and one morning the landlord went to the well and hauled up the bucket to collect water. As he brought up the pail he found not water but blood. Later after a search, a badly mutilated body was discovered at the bottom of the well. It was said to have been a revenue officer who had been investigating smuggling activities in the village.  Is it true?

The Black Bridge
At the east end of Copperhouse Pool is the Black Bridge, built in 1818.  Notice the odd-sized arches.  One arch had already been built when Parson Hocking of Phillack complained that it was too low, citing an ancient law which entitled him right of passage to row under the bridge. The second arch was built large enough to allow his rowing boat to pass through.

[Back to Home Page]