Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Untitled

ANTIOCH CHRISTIAN CHURCH

 

ANTIOCH CHRISTIAN CHURCH ON THE LORDS DAY IN JULY 1837

THIS CHURCH WAS CONSTITUTED AS SUCH AND AMONG THE EARLY MEMBERS WE FIND THE FOLLOWING NAMED WELL KNOWN PERSONS,THE FIRST 11 WERE

CONSTITUENT MEMBERS:ROLAND T PROCTOR AND WIFE,DIANA D,BENJAMIN

HALEY AND WIFE,ELIZA,JAMES HEATHMAN AND WIFE,ELIZABETH,JAMES ADAMS

AND CAROLINE HIS WIFE,JOSEPH C AND ELIZA DRAKE,JAMES BEATTY,

JACOB ROMAN,WILLIAM HALEY AND WIFE,BELINDA,HENRY R HALEY,

JOSEPH W HELM,THOMAS P COATES AND WIFE,FRANCES,NORBURN COATES,

DAVID MYERS AND MARY HIS WIFE,HENRY AND JUDITH MYERS,HENRY H NEWTON, HENRY GRIMES,JAMES G DUNN,AMBROSE HALEY AND WIFE,CASSANDRA,ISAAC FOSTER, PETER MATHEWS AND WIFE,ETTALINE,ASA C PROCTOR,ARDELINE CHAPMAN AND CYNTHIA HIS WIFE,THOMAS WILSOM,NATHANIEL WELCH,ALEXANDER PROCTOR, DABNEY HAGGARD,WILLIAM MYERS AND WIFE,CHRISTINA,WILLIAM NEWTON,ELISHA SHERWOOD AND HIS WIFE,FRANCES.AND CLEMET AND AMY JETER.THE FIRST CHURCH BUILDING WHICH WAS OF LOGS WAS CONSTRUCTED IN 1837 AND

IN 1860 THEIR PRESENT FRAME STRUCTURE WAS COMPLETED.ELDERS WILMOT,

JAMES A BERRY,WILLIAM H FEATHERSTONE,PETER DONAN,GEORGE E SHANKLIN,

AND GEORGE A PERKINS HAVE FILLED THE PULPIT,THE LATTER

WHOM IS OCCUPYING IT AT THIS DATE.HE HAS UNDER HIS CONTROL 77

MEMBERS.MANY MINISTERS OF THE CHRISTIAN DENOMINATION HAVE BECOME

FAMOUS IN THIS STATE,AND AMONG THEM MIGHT BE MENTIONED

ALEXANDER PROCTOR,THOMAS P HALEY,HENRY P HALEY (NOW DECEASED),

WILLIAM H FEATHERSTONE,AND E J LAMPTON OF THE ANTIOCH CHURCH.

THEIR POPULAR REPUTATION HAS BEEN DESERVEDLY WON.

 

CHAPEL GROVE CHURCH

 

WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE SOUTHERN PART OF

SECT 26 TWP 52 RNG 13 WAS FORMED INTO AN ORGANIZATION

ABOUT THE YEAR 1869 BY WILLIAM B CROSS AND WIFE.

J B GREEN AND WIFE SAMUEL LYONS AND WIFE

GEORGE W FERGUSON AND WIFE G W HUBBARD AND WIFE

MRS STOCKTON ALBERT SMITH AND WIFE

REV WILLIAM WOOD FIRST FILLED THE PULPIT FOR THE CHURCH,

AFTER HIM COMIG REVS DEMOSS,JOHN SHORES,J F ROOKER,

WILLIAM SUTTON,WILLIAM WARREN,A SPENCER,AND R F BEAVERS.

IN 1871 THE PRESENT BUILDING IN WHICH SERVICES ARE HELD

A FRAME 32 BY 42 FEET WAS BUILT AND IS VALUED AT $1,200.

THE NUMBER IN THE CHURCH AT THIS TIME IS 55.

 

CLIFTON HILL CHURCH

 

WAS ORIGINALLY KNOWN AS DARKS PRAIRIE

CHURCH AND HELD ITS FIRST MEETINGS ONE

MILE NORTH OF CLIFTON UNTIL THE NEW

HOUSE OF WORSHIP WAS COMPLETED

IN 1868 WHEN IT WAS MOVED TO THAT STRUCTURE.

AND SHORTLY THREAFTER THE NAME WAS CHANGED

TO ITS PRESENT FORM.THE LATTER BUILDING IS

VALUED AT $1,200 AND WAS DEDICATED TO GODS

SERVICES IN THE FALL OF 1868 BY NOAH FLOOD.

REV S Y PITTS WAS CALLED AS PASTOR WHENTHE

CHURCH WAS STARTED,AND HAS SINCE SERVED IN

THIS CAPACITY.THE ORGANIZING MEMBERS OF THE

SOCIETY WERE H STAMPER,SARAH STAMPER,D J

STAMPER,MARY A STAMPER,ISAAC SANDERS,PHEBE

SANDERS,JONATHAN SANDERS,FRANCES SANDERS,

INDIANA SANDERS,RILEY SANDERS,DAVID CLIFTON,

AND ANOTHER PERSON NAMED SANDERS WHOSE

CHRISTIAN NAME WE WERE UNABLE TO LEARN.THERE

ARE NOW IN THE CHURCH 168 MEMBERS.

 

ENON MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

 

IN 1872 WILLIAM MOBERLY AND WIFE,WILLIAM BARTEE AND

WIFE,CEPHUS NICHOLS AND WIFE,JESSE BURTON,WIFE AND SON,

OSCAR PAUL DE GARINO,MRS ISAAC STIPE AND POSSIBLY

OTHERS MET AND FORMED THE ABOVE NAMED CHURCH.THAT

YEAR OR THE FOLLOWING ON A CHURCH BUILDING WAS ERECTED

ON SECT 2 TWP 53 RNG 13 AND COST IN THE VICINITY OF

$600.IT IS A FRAME STRUCTURE AND IN THE FALL OF 1873 WAS

DEDICATED BY REV W L T EVANS WHO WAS THE FIRST SHEPHERD

OF THIS LITTLE FLOCK.WILLIAM WOODS,JOHN R TERRILL,AND REV

EVANS THE PRESENT PASTOR SUCCEEDED THE FIRST MENTIONED.

THE NUMBER OF THE PRESENT MEMBERSHIP IS 40 (1884).

 

 

GOOD HOPE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

 

IN A GOOD SUBSTANTIAL LOG HOUSE WHICH WAS BUILT BY

THE MEMBERS AND MONEY TO THE AMOUNT OF $50 SERVICES

OF THIS BODY ARE NOW HELD ONCE A MONTH.THOUGH NOT A

BUILDING OF ANY GREAT EXTERNAL BEAUTYWITHIN A

SPIRIT OF UNITY,PEACE,AND CONCORD PREVAILS AMONG

THE MEMBERS A BEAUTY THOUGH NOT SO APPARENT

OF FAR MORE VALUE.THE ORGANIZATION WAS AFFECTED

IN 1871 WITH HUGH JACKSON AND WIFE,REV J M BRYAM AND

WIFE,SAMUEL JACKSON,JOHN H ROBERTS AND WIFE,SARAH HARGIS,

AND MRS NALER.THE CHURCH EDIFICE WAS ERECTED IN 1872

AND WAS DEDICATED BY REVS J M BRYAM,WOODS, AND OTHERS.

THE PASTORS HAVE BENN REVS J M BRYAM,W W KILBUCK,JACKSON

HARRIS,EDWARD SILVER,AND WILLIAM BROWN.REV JACKSON

HARRIS IS THE PRESENT INCUMBENT.

 

HAPPY ZION AND SILVER CREEK (BAPTIST) CHURCH

 

BY REV M J SEARS.

 

ON THE THIRD SATURDAY IN AUGUST 1819 BEFORE MISSOURI WAS A

STATE OR RANDOLPH WAS A COUNTY A NUMBER OF THE EARLY SETTLERS MET

TOGETHER AND WERE ORGANIZED INTO A BAPTIST CHURCH AND GAVE IT THE

NAME OF HAPPY ZION.AND ON THE SECOND SATURDAY IN THE FOLLOWING MONTH UNITED WITH THE MT PLEASANT ASSOCIATION ORGANIZED AT MT

PLEASANT CHURCH HOWARD COUNTY JUST ONE YEAR BEFORE.THE

DELEGATES CHOSEN BY THE CHURCH TO BEAR THEIR PETITIONARY LETTER TO THEASSOCIATION WERE,THOMAS HENSON,WILLIAM HARVEY,AND ASA KIRBY.

AT THE AUGUST MEETING OF 1827 THE NAME OF THE CHURCH WAS CHANGED

TO SILVER CREEK.UP TO THIS DATE AND FOR MANY YEARS LATER ALMOST

THE ENTIRE SETTLEMENT WAS MADE UP OF BAPTISTS AND THEIR FAMILIES AND

THE CHURCH ENJOYED TO A VERY LIBERAL DEGREE THE BLESSINGS OF THE LORD,REPORTING PEACE AND PROSPERITY IN ALL THE LETTERS WHICH WERE ANNUALLY SENT UP TO THE ASSOCIATION DOWN TO THE YEAR 1835.YET THE MEMBERSHIP PHERHAPS NEVER AT ANY ONE TIME NUMBERED OVER 75 OR 80

PERSONS FOR OTHER BAPTIST CHURCHES WERE ORGANIZED INTO THE SURROUNDING COUNTRY AND DREW LARGELY UPON THE PRESENT BODY FOR MEMBERSHIP.AMONG WHICH WE MENTION MT HARMON,MT ARARAT,PLEASANT GROVE,DOVER (FIRST CALLED TURNERS PRAIRIE),AND LITTLE UNION LOCATED IN THE NORTH SUBURBS OF NORTH HUNTSVILLE ALL OF WHICH HAVE BECOME EXTINCT.THE DIFFERENT PASTORS WHO SERVED THE CHURCH UP TO DATE ABOVE MENTIONED WERE ELDERS THOMAS HENSON,CHARLES HARRYMAN,JAMES RATCLIFF, THOMAS FRISTOE,AND WILLIAM SEARS.ALL EXCEPT ELDER FRISTOE COMMENCED THEIR MINISTRY IN AND WERE ORDAINED IN SILVER CREEK CHURCH.AMONG THE INFLUENTIAL CITIZENS WHO WERE PROMINENT MEMBERS OF THAT CHURCH WERE WILLIAM HARVEY,DR WILLIAM FORT,HARDY SEARS,AARON KING,JOHN WHELDEN,WILLIAM AND JOSEPH MARROW,AMBROSE HALLIBURTON,BLANDERMIN SMITH,

ABRAHAM GROSS,ASA KIRBY,ISAIAH HUMPHREY,BASIL MCDAVITT SR,WILEY SEARS SR,

DAVID CREWS,CHARLES FINNELL,WILLIAM CAVENS, BENJAMIN HARDISTER,

AND RICHARD BRADLEY.THESE AND MANY OTHERS WHOSE

NAMES ARE NOT AT HAND ALL OBTAINED A GOOD REPORT THROUGH FAITH AND

HAVE GONE FROM FAITH TO SIGHT IN THE GLORY LAND.

 

AT THE OCTOBER MEETING FOLLOWING THE DIVISION IN MT PLEASANT ASSOCIATION

ISAIAH HUMPHREY AND WIFE,BASIL MCDAVITT SR AND WIFE,

WILLIAM CAVENS AND WIFE,AND NANCY WEST WITHDREW FROM SILVER

CREEK CHURCH IN ORDER TO FORM A SEPERATE BODY AND TO BECOME IDENTIFIED

WITH WHAT WAS THEN CALLED THE MISSIONARY PARTY SINCE WHICH

TIME THE CHURCH HAS ENJOYED UNINTERRUPTED PEACE AND A FAIR SHARE OF

PROSPERITY.THE WRITER OF THIS UNITED WITH THE CHURCH IN OCTIOBER

1849 AND BEGAN HIS MINISTRY BEFORE HE WAS 20 YEARS OF AGE.AND AT 21

YEARS OF AGE WAS ORDAINED TO THE PASTORAL CARE OF THE CHURCH.AND

HAS SUSTAINED THAT RELATION TO THE CHURCH TO THIS DAY.FROM 1835 TO

1849 ELDERS WILLIAM SEARS,JOHN BUSTER,AND JOHN MANSFIELD EACH

IN TURN SERVED THE CHURCH AS PASTORS WITH GOOD SUCCESS.THESE WERE

GOOD AND FAITHFUL MINISTERS BUT ON ACCOUNT OF THE DISTANCE THEY LIVED

FROM THE FIELD OF THEIR LABORS WOULD OFTEN FAIL TO MEET APPOINTMENTS.

IN 1840 BROTHER JAMES EARS AND IN 1843 BROTHER WILLIS SEARS NOW AT

CHARITON CHURCH MACON COUNTY LEFT THE MISSIONARIES AND WERE

RECEIVED INTO THE CHURCH UPON THEIR BAPTISM.

 

SOON AFTER THE UNHAPPY DIVISION OF 1835 A LARG PARCENT OF OUR

MEMBERSHIP EMIGRATED TO MACON COUNTY AND HELPED TO FOUND THE

NOW PROSPEROUS CHURCHES AT CHARITON AND LITTLE ZION IN THAT COUNTY.

AND IN THIS COUNTY THE CHURCHES AT HICKORY AND OAK GROVE

WHICH ARE BOTH PROSPEROUS.BESIDES THE LAST TWO NAMED AND THE

MOTHER CHURCH THERE ARE ALSO PLEASANT HILL AND MOBERLY CHURCHES

MAKING FIVE IN ALL,OF THE PRIMITIVE ORDER IN RANDOLPH COUNTY.

ELDERS W A ROTHWELL MD,JAMES BRADLEY,JAMES P CARTER,

AND THE WRITER ARE THE MINISTERS OF THE PRIMITIVE BAPTIST FAITH IN THIS

COUNTY.THE FIRST NAMED IS A NATIVE OF KENTUCKY,BROTHER CARTER OF

VIRGINIA,BROTHER BRADLEY AND THE WRITER WERE BORN AND RAISED IN THIS

COUNTY.ELDERS JAMES RATCLIFF,WILLIAM SEARS,JAMES BARNES,ARCHIBALD

PATTISON,J W GARSHWILER,JOHN BUSTER,AND JAMES GRISHOLM HAVE ALL BEEN RESIDENTS OF THIS COUNTY AND IN TURN HAVE SERVED THE OLD

CHURCHES ABOVE NAMED AND HAVE ALL GONE ON TO THEIR REWARD ABOVE TO REST FROM THEIR LABORS BELOW.ELDER WILLIAM SEARS WAS ORDAINED TO

GOSPEL MINISTRY IN SILVER CREEK CHURCH IN 1836.NO OTHER ORDINATION

IN THE MINISTRY OCCURED IN THE CHURCH UNTIL THE THIRD SUNDAY IN APRIL

1851 WHEN THE WRITER WAS SET APART TO THE IMPORTANT WORK OF PREACHING THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST TO DYING MEN.SINCE THAT TIME THE CHURCH HAS SET APART ELDER LEWIS SEARS AND ELDER J W BRADLEY (SINCE DECEASED)AND GRANTED LICENSE TO ELDER P M SEARS WHO WAS AFTERWARD ORDAINED TO THE MINISTRY AT THE REQUEST OF OAK GROVE CHURCH.

 

HIGBEE CHRISTIAN CHURCH

 

HIGBEE CHRISTIAN CHURCH THE ORIGINAL ORGANIZATION OF THIS BODY

TOOK PLACE NEAR THE YEAR 1845 IN THE VICINITY OF THE TOWN OF HIGBEE,

AND WAS KNOWN AS THE DOVER CHURCH.FROM CONTINUED USAGE AND

AFTER WITHSTANDING THE STORMS OF MANY WINTERS THE CHURCH STRUCTURE ABOUT ROTTED AND A NEW CHURCH EDIFICE WAS ERECTED ONE MILE WEST OF HIGBEE,IN WHICH SERVICES WERE HELD UNTIL THE FORMATION OF THE PRESENT CHURCHAT HIGBEE IN THE SUMMER OF 1880.SOME OF THE MEMBERS AT THE REORGANIZATIONA WERE,M M BURTON,WIFE,TWO SONS AND AN ADOPTED DAUGHTER,J W BURTON,WIFE,AND TWO SONS,SLESSLEY,WIFE,MOTHER AND ONE SON,W L REYNOLDS,JOHN W NEWBY,JOHN BLACKFORD,SARAH BLACKFORD,ELEVEN DAWKINS AND WIFE,ANN DYSART,MARY S DYSART, ALICE YATES,FANNIE YATES,AND JOEL YATES.THEIR PRESENT HOUSE OF WORSHIP IS A FRAME BUILDING 36 X 56 ERECTED AT AN EXPENSE OF $1,900 IT WAS DEDICATED BY REV JOEL A HEADINGTON AND REV C P HOLLIS.

THE FORMER WAS THE FIRST PASTOR AND SINCE THEN REV HEADINGTON HAS

MINISTERED TO THE SPIRITUAL NECESSITIES OF THE CONGERGATION.THERE ARE

75 MEMBERS AND SERVICES ARE HELD 3 TIMES A MONTH.THE

SABBATH SCHOOL WITH A REGULAR ATTENDANCE OF 50 PUPILS IS

SUPERINTINDED BY S LESSLEY.

 

LITTLE UNION CHURCH

 

THIS IS THE AME OF THE FIRST CHURCH EDIFICE THAT

WAS ERECTED NEAR THE TOWN OF HUNTSVILLE.IT WAS A LOG CABIN

AND WAS ERECTED ABOUT 1 MILE NORTH OF THE TOWN,AS EARLY

AS 1828.AMONG ITS CONSTITUENT MEMBERS WERE NANCY WRIGHT,

DR WILLIAM FORTH AND WIFE,MR LAFON AND WIFE,MARTHA FORT,

ABRAHAM RILEY AND WIFE,RACHEL RILEY,JAMES RILEY,NANCY GOGGIN,

JOHN SMOOT AND WIFE,SUSAN SMOOT,MARTIN FLETCHER AND WIFE,

CHARLES HATFIELD AND WIFE,BENJAMIN SKINNER AND WIFE,

PAULINA SKINNER,THOMAS HARDISTER AND WIFE,ISAAC HARRISAND

WIFE,BLANDERMIN SMITH.THIS CHURCH WAS PRESIDED OVER BY

REVS LYNCH TURER,JOHN BUSTER,JAMES RATCLIFF,AND THOMAS

FRISTOE AT VARIOUS INTERVALS.AFTER THE COURSE OF SEVERAL

YEARS THE OLD BUILDING WAS TORN DOWN AND A NEW HOUSE OF

WORSHIP ERECTED NEAR THE PRESENT SITE OF LAYS MILL WHICH

IS IN THE CORPORATE LIMITS OF HUNTSVILLE.

 

M E CHURCH SOUTH

 

M E CHURCH SOUTH LOCATED AT CAIRO THROUGH THE EFFORTS

LARGELY OF REV C BABCOCK WAS CONSTITUTED AS A CHURCH ORGANIZATION

IN 1868,JOHN HOAG AND WIFE,WILLIAM MOODY AND WIFE,WALKER WRIGHT AND

WIFE,HARRIET JOHNSON,SARAH SMITH,MRS SHAW,AND MRS LAMPTON BEING THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS.A FRAME HOUSE OF WORSHIP IN WHICH SERVICES ARE

NOW HELD WAS BUILT AT A COST OF $1,400 IN 1873,AND WAS DEDICATED

THE SAME YEAR BY DR W G MILLER.THERE ARE NOW 68 PERSONS IN THE

CHURCH.THE FOLLOWING NAMED PASTORS HAVE SERVED AS SUCH IN THIS

CONGERGATION.REVS C BABCOCK,L RUSH,DAVID BLACKWELL,J S TODD,

WALTER TOOLE,L BREWER,J C CARNEY,GEORGE W QUIMBY,AND LASTLY THE

PRESENT INCUMBENT J S TODD.

 

MEALS CHAPEL ME CHURCH SOUTH

 

MEALS CHAPEL ME CHURCH SOUTH THE CONGERGATION OF THIS

CHURCH WAS CONSUMATED BY REV C W COLLWTT IN 1867,WITH

M AND J MOBERLY AND WIVES.J P MEALS AND WIFE,WILLIAM GRIMES,

GEORGE H COTTINGHAM AND WIFE,WILLIAM WESTFALL AND WIFE,

ELI EASTWOOD AND WIFE,MRS JOHN MILLS,MRS M J MEALS,

MRS SUSAN GRIMES,AND MRS HULDA MEALS AS CONSTITUTING THE

PRIMITIVE MEMBERS.SINCE THEN THE MEMBERSHIP HAS INCREASED

TO 42.THE FOLLOWING MINISTERS HAVE BEEN THE PASTORS OF THE

CHURCH SINCE ITS START.C W COLLETT,REV J R TAYLOR,

H W JAMES,WILLIAM TOOLE,REV BALDWIN,W M SUTTON,J S ROOKER,

JOSEPH ROWE,AND ROBERT LOVING.THE BUILDING IN WHICH

WORSHIP IS CONDUCTED WAS ERECTED IN 1867.IN SIZE IT IS

36 X 40 AND IS VALUED AT ABOUT $800.

 

MOUNT HOPE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

 

MOUNT HOPE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH THE EDIFICE OF

THIS DENOMINATION WHICH IS LOCATED ON SECTION 29 TOWNSHIP 54 RANGE

14 SALT SPRINGS TOWNSHIP WAS CONSTUCTED IN 1874 AND IS 24 X 42

FEET IN DIMENSIONS ITS VALUATION BEING ABOUT $600.THE SOCIETY

FORMED ITSELF INTO AN ORGANIZATION IN THE SPRING OF 1874,REV W F

MANNING BEING THE ORIGINATOR.THE CONSTITUENT MEMBERS WERE J S JENKINS AND WIFE,MARGARET EVANS,MARY A WALKER,A T CHAPMAN,M J HARDESTY,J J ADAMS, ANN A CLEMONS,SUSAN E CLEMONS,W A AND MARY L CUNNINGHAM,ALEXANDER AND SABRA FRAIZER,ELIZA J SHAW,THOMAS AND SARAH A HARDESTY,D A SHAW,D S AND JANETTE PAYNE,JOHN A ADAMS,ROXANNA TURNER,FANNIE E JENKINS,JENNIE A ADAMS,

MARY J OVERBY,ARTHUR JENKINS,MAY F GENTRY,BARBARA E RILEY,MARY F SPERRY,SELMON FRAIZER,MARY E PAYNE,LNORA ADAMS,J H HARDESTY,GEORGE GENTRY, JOSEPHUS HARDESTY,W J EVANS,MARY C RILEY,AND JOAN CHAPMAN.THEIR FIRST PASTOR WAS LEVI HANES FOLLOWED BY REVS A M BUCHANAN,GEORGE WITTINGHAM,AND J LEWIS ROUTE.

 

MOUNT VERNON MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

 

MOUNT VERNON MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

THIS CHURCH NOW HAS A MEMBERSHIP OF

75 BUT AT THE TIME OF THE ORGANIZATION

IN 1858 HAD ONLY NINE MEMBERS AS

FOLLOWS.JOHN S KIMBROUGH AND WIFE,

F B HUBBARD AND WIFE,MARY Y SETTLE,J G

SETTLE AND WIFE,AND SIMEON STYLES AND

WIFE.AT AN EXPENDICTURE OF $1,200 A

FINE WELL FINISHED STRUCTURE IN WHICH

SERVICES ARE NOW HELD WAS BUILT IN THE

FALL OF 1881.IT IS OF FRAME 28 X 42 AND

WAS DEDICATED BY rEV F W HOUCHIN,BENJAMIN

GENTRY,AND P T GENTRY.THE LATTER GENTLEMAN

WAS THE FIRST PASTOR OF THE CHURCH AND

SERVED AS SUCH FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS BEING

SUCCEEDED BY W L T EVANS,W W KILBUCK,AND

DANIEL R EVANS THE PRESENT MINISTER IN

CHARGE.

 

NEW HOPE M E CHURCH SOUTH

 

IN THE SUMMER OF 1881 THE CHURCH EDIFICE NOW

OCCUPIED BY THIS CONGERGATION WAS BUILT

AT AN EXPENDITURE OF $1,200.IT IS A FRAME

STURCTURE 30 X 15 FEET AND WAS DEDICATED THE

SAME YEAR,AFTER WHICH IN THE FALL OF 1881 AN

ORGANIZATION WAS AFFECTED,THE ORIGINAL

MEMBERS BEING G H COTTINGHAM AND WIFE,

S D LYONS WIFE AND TWO DAUGHTERS,JOHN J

MATHEWS AND WIFE,S ROBERTSON,AND J T S

GATES AND WIFE.REVS WILLIAM WARREN,SPENCER,

AND R BEAVER HAVE BEEN ITS MINISTERS.SERVICES

ARE CONDUCTED BY THE METHODIST DENOMINATION

IN THIS HOUSE ONCE A MONTH,AND THE CHRISTIANS

AND BAPTISTS ALSO HOLD MEETINGS ONCE A MONTH.

 

 

PLEASANT HILL REGULAR BAPTIST CHURCH

 

PLEASANT HILL REGULAR BAPTIST CHURCH IS LOCATED ON SECTION 8 TOWN

SHIP 54 RANGE 14 SALT SPRING TOWNSHIP.IN 1865-66 THIS CHURCH EDI

FICE FOR THE PURPOSES OF WORSHIP WAS BUILT AT A COST OF ABOUT $1000

IN DIMENSIONS IT IS 36 X 40 FEET.AT THE ORGANIZATION OF THE CHURCH IN

MAY 1866 ORGANIZED BY REV M S SEARS THE FOLLOWING PERSONS

WERE PRESENT AND THEIR NAMES PLACED UPON THE RECORDS.LEONARD DOTTSON

AND WIFE,MRS MARGARET GOODDING,R R GOODDING AND WIFE,

NANCY HALL AND SISTER,PEYTON HALL,MRS MASON,S G PHIPPS AND WIFE,

J R PHIPPS AND WIFE,WILLIAM RODGERS AND WIFE,AND JAMES BROCK,WIFE,AND

MOTHER.AT THIS TIMES MEMBERSHIP NUMBERS NEARLY 40.REVS M J SEARS,

BENJAMIN OWEN,P M SEARS,AND JAMES K CARTER HAVE FILLED THE PULPIT OF

THIS SOCIETY.THE LATTER IS THE PRESENT PASTOR.THE MISSIONARY BAPTISTS

HAVE A HALF INTREST IN THE CHURCH WHICH WAS DEEDED TO THEM IN THE

FALL OF 1883,BUT THEY HAVE HELD SERVICES THERE FOR SOME 14 YEARS.

THEIR MINISTERS HAVE BEEN W L T EVANS,S Y PITTS,AND G B CLIFTON.

THEY HAVE 61 MEMBERS IN THEIR ORGANIZATION.

 

PROVIDENCE (METHODIST) CHURCH

 

WAS ORGANIZED IN 1834 AT THE CABIN OF S G JOHSON,WITH

THE FOLLOWING NAMED PERSONS AS CONSTITUTING THE

ORIGINAL MEMBERSHIP.S G JOHSON NANCY W JOHNSON

MARGARET COOPER NANCY FAWKS POLLY FAWKS LASEY COOPER

ABOUT THE YEAR 1836 THIS CONGERGATION HAD PREACHING

AT WHAT WAS KNOWN AS JOHNSONS SCHOOL HOUSE,AND IN 1846

THEY ERECTED OLD PROVIDENCE CHURCH CALLED THE TWELVE CORNERS.

IN 1878 THE PRESENT FRAME HOUSE OF WORSHIP WAS BUILT AT A COST

OF $1,100 THE DEDICATORY SERVICE THE SAME YEAR BEING PRESIDED

OVER BY REV B F JOHNSON DD.AMONG THOSE WHO HAVE MINISTERED TO

THE SPIRITUAL NEEDS OF THIS CHURCH ARE.

JESSE GREEN PRESIDING ELDER AND CIRCUIT PREACHER

READ COLEBURN FORSYTHE THATCHER R B ASHBY (PRESIDING)

WILLIAM CAPLES WILLIAM SUTTON A MONROE

J ELDER EADS THE MEMBERSHIP NOW NUMBERS ABOUT 80 (1884)

 

RENICK UNION CHURCH

 

THIS HOUSE OF WORSHIP WAS BUILT JOINTLY BY THE M E CHURCH

SOUTH, CHRISTIAN AND MISSIONARY BAPTIST AT A COST OF

$3000.EACH DENOMINATION PUTTING UP $1000 TOWARDS ITS

ERECTION.IT IS SITUATED IN THE TOWN OF RENICK.AMONG THE

NAMES OF THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF THE METHODIST CONGERGATION

ARE FOUND THOSE OF STEPHEN BROCKMAN AND WIFE THOMAS BROCKMAN

MRS THOMAS SPURLIN THOMAS PRICE,WIFE AND DAUGHTER ELIZABETH PYLES

E D J BROCKMAN S W HUBBARD JANE HUBBARD

REV WESLEY HATTON AND FAMILY,JANE,REUBEN AND DAVID

THE FIRST PASTOR OF THIS CONGERGATION WAS REV COLLETT

FOLLOWED BY REVS TAYLOR,W N SUTTON,AND THOMAS B MOSS.

ABOUT 50 PERSONS CONSTITUTE THE MEMBERSHIP AT THIS TIME.(1884)

SOME OF THE PRIMARY MEMBERS CONNECTED WITH THE BAPTIST DENOMINATION

WERE WILLIAM BUTLER W F ELLIOTT G O POWELL

REV BEAUCHAMP WAS THE FIRST TO PREACH FOR THIS CONGERGATION.

AN ORGANIZATION OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH WAS EFFECTED ABOUT THE YEAR

1860 BY REV W B ANDERSON AT WHICH TIME S N PYLE AND WIFE,ANTONY

FOSTER,S S ELLIOTT AND WIFE,M M BURTON AND WIFE,T C WALKER AND

WIFE,MRS JULES CHILTON,AND DANIEL BRUCE AND WIFE CONSTITUTED

THE FIRST MEMBERS.NOW THE MEMBERSHIP IS 70 (1884).REVS WILMOTT DONAN,

AND C P HOLLIS HAVE BEEN THEIR PASTORS.

 

 

SALEM CHRISTIAN CHURCH.

 

IN THE SUMMER OF 1873 THIS CHURCH COMPLETED

A HOUSE OF WORSHIP,30 X 34 FEET WITH 14

FEET OF STUDDING.PROPERTYNOW VALUED AT ABOUT $600.

IT IS A FRAME BUILDINGAND IS LOCATED ON SECTION

2 TOWNSHIP 53,RANGE 13.THE FORMATION OF THE CHURCH

TOOK PLACE IN 1872 WHEN JASON MOBERLY AND WIFE,

T J NICHOLS AND WIFE,J QUISENBERRY AND WIFE,

C B QUISENBERRY AND WIFE,WILLIAM LOVE AND WIFE,AND

JOHN REID AND WIFE CONSTITUTED THE REGULAR

MEMBERS.THERE ARENOW ABOUT 60 COMMUNICANTS.

AMONG THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED AS PASTORS ARE

REVS WILLIAM BLACKBURN,P C HOLLIS,JOHN MCCUNE,

R H LOVE,AFTER WHO CAME J C REYNOLDS,THEN

GEORGE DEW,AND FINALLY WILLIAM HENDERSON.IT IS

NOW IN A MOST FLOURISHING CONDITION.

 

SILVER CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH

 

SILVER CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH EFFECTED AN ORGANIZATION ON THE

THIRD SATURDAY OF AUGUST, 1819, THE ORIGINATORS BEING ELDERS THORP

AND HUBBARD. THE NAMES OF THOSE COMPRISING THE FIRST MEMBERSHIP

WE WERE UNABLE TO OBTAIN, AS THEY ARE NOT SPECIFIED ON THE RECORD. IN

1833 A LOG HOUSE FOR WORSHIP WAS BUILT, THE CHURCH BECAME SEPA-

RATED UPON THE MISSIONARY QUESTION AND SUBSEQUENTLY WAS REORGANIZED,

THEIR FIRST MEETING BEING HELD THE FOURTH SATURDAY OF NOVEMBER, 1835,

WHEN THOMAS FRISTOE WAS MADE PASTOR AND ISAIAH HUMPHREYS DEACON,

WITH WILLIAM CAVINS AS CLERK. IN 1860 THE BUILDING IN WHICH SERVICES

ARE NOW HELD WAS ERECTED AT A COST OF $1,200. IT IS A FRAME STRUCTURE,

AND WAS DEDICATED BY ELDER M. J. SEARS, ANTI-MISSIONARY, AND ELDER

NOAH FLOOD OF THE REGULAR BAPTIST CHURCH. THE NAMES OF THE PASTORS

WHO HAVE SERVED THE CHURCH ARE AS FOLLOWS THOMAS FRISTOE FROM

1835 TO MARCH, 1839 ; WM. MANSFIELD, 18391845 ; JESSE FERRIL, 1846;

JOHN ROAN, 18471852; JESSE FERRIL, AGAIN, 18531858; F. M. STARK,

18581863; WILLIAM C. WOODS IN 1863; S. Y. PITTS, APRIL, 1864,

MARCH, 1867; LEWIS SEARS, 18671869; F. M. STARK FROM FEBRUARY,

1869, TO FEBRUARY, 1870; J. W. TERRIL ACCEPTED THE CARE OF THE CHURCH

AS PASTOR IN JUNE, 1870, AND RESIGNED IN NOVEMBER, 1871 ; F. M.

STARK, DECEMBER, 1871, SEPTEMBER, 1876; W KILBUCK WAS ELECTED

PASTOR OCTOBER, 1876, AND CONTINUED TO APRIL, 1878; F.M. STARK WAS

AGAIN ELECTED IN MAY, 1878, FOR 12 MONTHS; J. W. TERRIL, OCTOBER,

1879, RESIGNED IN FEBRUARY, 1881 ; ELDER STARK WAS THEN ELECTED IN

MARCH OF THE SAME YEAR, AND IS PASTOR AT THIS TIME (APRIL, 1884).

THE RECORDS SHOW THAT 200 PERSONS HAVE BEEN MEMBERS OF THIS CHURCH,

52 OF WHOM ARE KNOWN TO BE DEAD, AND MOST OF THESE DIED WHILE CON-

NECTED WITH THIS CONGREGATION ; 13 HAVE BEEN EXCLUDED FROM THE FELLOW-

SHIP OF THE CHURCH, AND THE REMAINDER, EXCEPT THE 40 WHO NOW COMPOSE

THE ORGANIZATION, HAVE BEEN DISMISSED BY LETTER TO JOIN OTHER CHURCHES

OF A LIKE FAITH AND ORDER.

 

SUGAR CREEK CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

 

SUGAR CREEK CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH THE FIRST

BUILDING OF THIS CONGERGATION WAS ERECTED IN 1840 A STRUCTURE

26 X 46 FEET.THE PRESENT HOUSE OF WORSHIP IS THE THIRD ONE

PUT UPON THE SAME SITE.THIS IS ON SECTION 26 OF SUGAR CREEK

TOWNSHIP ABOUT TWO MILES NORTHWEST FROM MOBERLY.THE CHURCH WAS

FORMED UNDER THE PRESENT NAME IN 1834 BY REV SAMUEL C DAVIS,

WHO WAS THE EARNEST AND LOVED PASTOR FOR 18 YEARS.THE MEMBERS

AT THE ORGANIZATION WERE JOHN TEDFORD AND WIFE,D TEDFORD,

ANDREW AND MARGARET HANNAH,LUCINDA HANNAH,AND JAMES AND

JENNIE CUNNINGHAM.REV LEWIS ROUTT IS THE PRESENT PASTOR

IN CHARGE.