George M. Small
Born in St. Stephens, New Brunswick, July 25, 1834. He came to Minnesota in 1855, and soon after settled in Oak Grove, where he lived until the outbreak of the Civil War. Aug. 13, 1862, he was mustered in as a member of Co. A, Eighth Regiment, and remained with that regiment until Feb. 2, 1864, when he was discharged for disability. He was then employed in lumber manufacture until 1872, when he moved to his farm in section 23, town of Burns. Mr. Small was married to Rebecca M. Hill, who died Oct. 4, 1872, leaving one child, Relieffa A. Mr. Smalls 2nd wife was Mrs. Mary J. Andrus, to whom he was married Oct. 20, 1902. He had 200 acres in section 23. Mr. Small is an active member of the Masonic fraternity.
source: History of Anoka County by Albert M. Goodrich – published 1905