Origin: Forest frequented by fallow deer
Domesday: The King held it. Inland for 4 ploughs, outside the demesne 4 ploughs. Total people 6 bordars, 6 villans with a reeve.
A lost village. In 1377 there were 90 villagers over 14. By 1524 only 7 taxpayers remained (including 2 Knightleys who owned the land and had been active in depopulating it). The lost inhabitants had been replaced by 2500 sheep.
Today there is no great evidence of the original village but the sheep (or their descendants!) are still in evidence. The present “village” consists of the Hall (Knightley’s home), which is now a hotel, a ruined Dower House, a rather imposing but run down building adjacent to the Hall and the church.