Frolesworth
Frolesworth

Origin:

Domesday: Count of Meulan held. a carucute of land. 2 sokemen have half a plough. Hugh de Grandmesnil held 1 carucate with land for plough. Robert de Bucy held carocate . Land for plough.1 bordar. Countess Judith held 6 carucates. 14 sokemen have 5 ploughs and 8 acres of meadow

 

A small agricultural village strung along the Leire to Sharnford road. Three buildings stand out, the 18th century alms houses (funded by John Smith born in the village in 1657 who went on to become a judge), the church and directly opposite what looks as if it might have been a (modernised) manor house.

John Overton married Elizabeth Kenny here in 1751.

 

frolesworth1
frolesworth2

For a description of the village in the 1860s White's Directory of 1863 is attached