Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
JAMES STANCLIFT (1712 - 1785) of Simsbury and Woodbury, Connecticut


From book "Descendants of James Stanclift of Middletown, Connecticut and Allied Families", By Robert C. and Sherry [Smith] Stancliff

Go to:    Home Page


(6) JAMES3 STANCLIFT (William2, James1)

Son of William and Olive [Stanbrough] Stanclift born East Middletown, CT Sept. 20, 1712(1), baptized Sept. 21, 1712(2), died South Britain, Southbury, Litchfield County(3), CT Dec. 27, 1785(4), buried South Britain Cemetery, Southbury, CT, married 1. Middletown, CT Dec. 22, 1737(5) MARTHA WOOD daughter of John and Lydia [_____] Wood born Wethersfield, Hartford County, CT Dec. 5, 1717, died Middletown, CT Sept. 23, 1750(6) as a result of childbirth, when daughter Patience was born, buried Old Quarry Cemetery. James married 2. Simsbury, Hartford County, CT Jan. 24, 1751 MARY LEWIS(7) daughter of Thomas and Mary [Rowley] Lewis born Colchester(8), New London County, CT Oct. 1728(9), died South Britain, Southbury, CT Dec.6, 1786(10).

While he lived in Middletown this man was referred to in records as James Stanclift Junior which was a chronological distinction, as his Uncle James, who also lived in the area was called James Senior. After he left the area he was known as James Stanclift Senior and his own son James assumed the Jr, while in Middletown the son of his uncle James, known in records as James 3rd, became James Jr.

James Stanclift Jr lived in East Middletown, CT until about 1756. At that time he moved to Simsbury, CT and probably lived in the western portion of that town, or the part of Simsbury known as Wintonbury. There is but one gravestone remaining in Middletown cut by this man just before he left, but he was extremely popular as a cutter after leaving the area. This suggests that James may have found too much competition from already established cutters in the Middletown area and moved on to a place where he could more profitably pursue his trade. Two of the daughters of James and Martha [Wood] Stanclift seem to have remained in the Middletown area when James moved his family to Simsbury, as they married in the East Haddam, CT area. Before moving to Middletown, the Wood family had lived in the Haddam area and it is possible the girls were visiting or living there with relatives. Martha and Rebecca were both termed as being "of Middletown" at the time of their marriages to East Haddam men.

The family lived in Simsbury, CT until about 1763 and the graveyards in Simsbury, Wintonbury and New Hartford contain many examples of this man's work. From the stones in this area it is possible to trace the development of James' style of carving. If his lettering never really became precise, nor his spelling accurate, the stones were wonderfully distinctive, imaginative and unique. He used a stylized death's head, wings and hands to decorate the central arch of his stones. He is probably the person who created the rare stone in the Simsbury Cemetery with a completely abstract design. The stone is decorated with multiple concentric arcs only. It was cut at a time when James was experimenting with the use of concentric arcs incorporated into his death's head designs.

In 1761 there was a disagreement among the men of Simsbury concerning the leadership of the Simsbury Train Band(11). A Train Band was the local Militia raised by each community for the protection of the Town. On Nov. 27, 1761 there was a vote among the members of the Simsbury forces to choose a Captain and other Officers of the 3rd Military Company of Simsbury. The method by which the new officers were chosen was widely challenged by the men of the Company and taken to the General Assembly of Connecticut for arbitration. James Stanclift was the first man to sign the petition, along with Jacob Davis, who married Elizabeth, the sister of Mary [Lewis] Stanclift. Capt. Abraham Pinney held the election at his dwelling. Descendants of Capt. Pinney at a later date, married in Erie County, PA, members of the Stanclift family.

In May 1763 the inhabitants of Windsor, Farmington and Simsbury united in presenting a Memorial(12) to the Connecticut Assembly protesting fishing by use of weires(13) across the mouth of the Windsor Ferry River(14), and thus preventing the fish from traveling up the river to these communities. James Stanclift was a signer from Simsbury(15).

The family moved once more to Woodbury, CT living in the Southbury area, more specifically in the area that became the South Britain Ecclesiastical Society. In this vicinity, there was a supply of fine quality red sandstone(16). James continued to quarry and cut gravestones many of which are found in the Woodbury/Southbury area, Newtown, New Milford and a few in Oxford, CT. In an 1898 publication(17) it says "STANCLIFT. The house lately demolished at the foot of the hill south of Averill Canfield's was the residence of James Stanclift. He was a stonecutter by trade. He got the red sandstone from the quarries in this vicinity and wrought them into various building stone. The old gravestones of the same material was the work of his hands."

The records show that during the years before there was a church nearby, the family was obliged to attend church in Woodbury. As Highway 84 cuts through Connecticut today, it passes close to the South Britain area, and it is easy to imagine that they could not have traveled those primitive roads in the winter. The heavily wooded hills give the appearance of being something of a wilderness even today. Attendance at the church was mandatory and fines were frequently imposed upon those members of the Church who neglected this obligation. "Winter Privileges" were granted to excuse the inhabitants of the South Britain area from the long journey during those months in winter when travel was too arduous to be safe.

A "rate" or tax was paid by the members of an Ecclesiastical Society and the parent Society was generally disinclined to lose this revenue, so it sometimes became a bitter political battle to disengage from an existing Society and embark on the establishment of a new one. James Stancliff along with Ebenezer Downs Jr. and other residents of Southbury signed the Memorial sent to the Connecticut Assembly in 1764 asking that the community in which they lived be designated a separate Parish or Ecclesiastical Society and allowed to maintain a Church(18) in their own community. The petition or memorial was the subject of controversy and was resubmitted to the May 1765 session of the Connecticut Assembly(19). James Stanclift signed both memorials. The Society was incorporated as South Britain in May 1766 and the first public worship was held at the house of Moses Downs, brother of Ebenezer, on June 5, 1766(20).

There were about forty five families in the new Society at it's inception. Though a few individuals are listed as members of the church before 1769, there are no birth, death or marriage records of this Society before this date and families frequently neglected the registration of these events in the town records. So it was with the Stanclift family. The Stanclifts were, however, some of the first to appear on the records of the new Society. Hannah Stanclift, daughter of James Stanclift was baptized in 1769 and on Dec. 17, 1770 James Stanclift was officially received into the new church by letter on recommendation from the Church at Simsbury(21). Mary, wife of James joined the church on Apr. 10, 1772(22).

There are records of four of the sons of this family fighting in the Revolutionary War, only one of those four, James Stancliff, survived. The records of men from the Woodbury area who served in the War are incomplete and while Woodbury paid for the maintenance of some 1500 men, the records contain the names of only about 1000 men(23). It is probable that at least one additional son also saw service in the Revolution. While Stanbrough P. Stancliff, young as he was at the time, carried wounds received in the conflict, his name does not appear on any list. Men between 16 years and 60 years old were expected to serve.

Three of the sons in this family belonged to Eleazar Mitchell's 12th Company of the 13th Regiment of Connecticut Militia from Southbury, CT subsequent to October 1774. The names of George, Thomas and James Jr. appear upon an unrecorded list handed down in the Mitchell Family(24). It is probable that these men saw service in some of the early alarms of the Revolutionary War.

The three brothers marched off to war together in 1776. George, Thomas and James all Entered Service in New York on Aug. 15, 1776 in Captain Elijah Hinman's 6th Company, of the 13th Regiment of Connecticut Militia(25). The members of the Company all entered Service on the same date and all were discharged a little more than two weeks later on Sept. 3, 1776. There were twenty four men in the Company including the Company officers. George Stanclift was the only man who was listed as having died in service during that tour of duty. He died "in New York Aug. 30th, 1776". Thomas Stanclift received wounds that resulted in his death soon after returning home. During the time of their enlistment the Battle of Brooklyn Heights took place on Aug. 27th and Washington's troops were ferried from Long Island to Manhattan all during the foggy night of Aug. 29th. It is likely that the brothers took part in those maneuvers. Two sons in this family had already died during this conflict when a fourth son, William, reached his sixteenth birthday and enlisted or was drafted on May 19, 1777. William's Company joined the American forces at Peekskill, NY where he was captured only weeks later. William died probably about December 1777 while still a prisoner of the British.

In 1737 John Wood of Middletown, CT, had signed property in Middletown over to his daughter, Martha, and her husband James Stanclift Jr, which carried an entailment that stipulated that in the event his daughter's demise, the property in Middletown, CT would be used by James Stanclift but that ownership would pass only to the heirs of Martha, and only after the third generation including his own. In order to dispose of the property at a much later date, the heirs were required to state their relationship to John Wood and these land records provided information on the children of Martha [Wood] Stanclift.

James Stanclift's gravestone stands today in the South Britain Cemetery next to the stone he cut for his son, Thomas. The two stones look almost identical, there are only subtle differences. James Stanclift's son, who was called at this date James Stanclift Jr, had learned to cut stones in the exact style used by his father. He cut his father's stone in that style. James Jr, however, preferred an alternate spelling of the name and so while James Stanclift the senior had used the spelling Stanclift, his stone reads "In memory of Mr James Stancliff who Departed this Life December 27th AD 1785 in the 74th year of his age".

The descendants of James Stanclift stopped using the old spelling, Stanclift. James, Stanbrough and Lewis also used Stancliff while some of the descendants of George preferred Stancliffe. The remaining male members of this family all left Connecticut by 1800 or shortly thereafter, moving on to less settled areas.

CHILDREN: James and Martha [Wood] Stanclift(26)

+ 26-1. MARTHA STANCLIFT(27) born East Middletown, Hartford County, CT Sept. 8, 1738, baptized East Middletown, CT Sept. 10, 1738, married East Haddam, CT Sept. 15, 1763 FITZ JOHN WHITMORE.

27-2. LEDIA STANCLIFT born East Middletown, CT Feb. 24, 1739, baptized East Middletown, CT April 7, 1740(28) "in a private house" indicating grave illness and an urgency to have the baptism performed. She died East Middletown, CT the same day(29).

+ 28-3. REBECKAH STANCLIFT born East Middletown, CT Feb. 6, 1740, baptized East Middletown, CT Feb. 1, 1741, died Millington, CT Nov. 17, 1813, married East Haddam, CT May 7, 1766 TIMOTHY BOOGE.

29-4. LYDIA STANCLIFT born East Middletown, CT April 16, 1743(30), baptized East Middletown, CT April 17, 1743(31), married 1. _______ TAYLOR, married 2. East Middletown, CT Jan. 20, 1772 THOMAS MURPHY(32). Her sister Rebeckah Booge named a son after Thomas Murphy. Lydia and Thomas Murphy sold Lydia's portion of the John Wood land to Abraham Bailey and Thomas Bliss on June 21, 1794(33), according to the entailment specified by John Wood.

+ 30-5. EUNICE STANCLIFT born East Middletown, CT Aug. 12, 1745, baptized East Middletown, CT Aug.18, 1745, married 1. Jan. 14, 1776 in Southbury, CT ASAHEL BROWN, married 2. JOSEPH CLARK of Woodbury, CT.

+ 31-6. GEORGE STANCLIFT born East Middletown, CT Mar. 5, 1747/8, baptized East Middletown, CT Apr. 24, 1747/8, died "in New York" Aug. 30, 1776 during the Revolutionary War, married April 21, 1773 SARAH CHIDSEY.

32-7. PATIENCE STANCLIFT was baptized East Middletown, CT Sept. 26, 1750(34) "in the home" indicating some urgency to perform the baptism. This was three days after the death of her mother Martha [Wood] Stanclift and Patience probably died the same day.

CHILDREN: James and Mary [Lewis] Stanclift(35)

+ 33-8. MARY STANCLIFT born East Middletown, CT Sept. 18, 1751, baptized East Middletown, CT Mar. 29, 1752, married South Britain, Southbury, CT Aug. 21, 1773 WILLIAM SCOTT.

+ 34-9. ABIGAIL STANCLIFT born East Middletown, CT July 3, 1753, baptized East Middletown, CT July 10, 1753, married South Britain, Southbury, CT Sept. 17, 1782 EBENEZER DOWNS.

35-10. THOMAS STANCLIFT born East Middletown, CT Jan. 13, 1755(36), baptized East Middletown, CT Jan. 19, 1755(37), died South Britain, Southbury, CT Sept. 18, 1776(38), buried in the South Britain Cemetery under a brownstone gravestone carved by his father and inscribed "In Memory of Thomas Stanclift He got his Bane in the Sarvis of the Country and died September the 18 AD 1776 in the 22d year of his age. Sleep .... in Dust Till Jesus comes to Rase the Just". Thomas married South Britain, CT July 20, 1775 MARTHA PRINDLE(39) daughter of Ephraim and Abigail [Stilson] Prindle born about 1752 probably in Newtown, CT. The marriage took place just before Thomas enlisted during the Revolution, the term of enlistment covered the time between July 13, 1775 and Dec. 20, 1775. He enlisted July 13, and married one week later, before his Company left Woodbury.

The Company, made up of men from the towns of Woodbury and Litchfield left the Parish of Bethlehem in the town of Woodbury on August 11, 1775. The 5th Company of Militia under command of Capt. Nathaniel Tuttle of South Britain marched to New London, CT to join the 7th Connecticut Regiment. While in New London the Regiment answered an alarm in Stonington, some ten miles to the east on Aug. 30, 1775. Stonington was being attacked by three British frigates under the command of Commodore James Wallace, Master of the "Rose", a Man of War of twenty guns. The City of Boston had been surrounded by Rebel troops and was under siege. In an effort to provide food for the beleaguered British forces, Wallace was raiding the coastal areas to steal livestock and provisions(40). The Stonington patriots repulsed the British ships in their harbor.

The Connecticut Regiment left New London on September 19, 1775 heading for Boston. They marched through Providence, RI and arrived in Cambridge, MA site of Washington's camp on Oct. 1, 1775. From there they marched to the Fort located at Winter Hill(41) in Charlestown, MA. At this Fort they remained as part of, or near to, General Isreal Putnam's Connecticut detachment. The British "Regulars" had taken Bunker Hill in June, 1775. Jonathan Twiss, the drummer with this Regiment, told of sending a printed account of the battle home to his family, complete with pictures and verse. The British still occupied the town of Boston and the Rebel forces still surrounded the town of Boston through the extremely cold fall and winter of 1775. Jonathan told of guard duty, of minor skirmishes with the enemy, of watching sheep put ashore to feed the hungry British troops at Bunker Hill, of disputes among the sometimes bored soldiers, of two enemy soldiers deserting to the American side and being fired upon by their own men, and of building additional sod breastworks or fortifications. For the most part they waited and watched the British Regulars.

When Thomas returned to his home in the South Britain area of Woodbury, CT, he purchased on July 19, 1776 from George Bannister for the sum of �6-00-00, a house in Woodbury near the house of Elijah Hinman and located on the Highway(42). Shortly after that time, Thomas once again enlisted in the service. This time he signed up in Elijah Hinman's Company made up of Woodbury men. Brothers George, and James were in the same Company(43). They arrived in New York and there officially joined the 13th Regiment of Connecticut Militia on August 15, 1776. George died just two weeks later on August 30. The date of George's death suggests that they were engaged in the Battle of Brooklyn Heights on Aug. 27, 1776, and Washington's subsequent retreat to Manhattan Island during the night of Aug. 29, 1776. Thomas and James, along with the entire Company, were discharged a few days after that, on September 3, 1776. Thomas had been wounded(44) and while he was able to return to South Britain, he died there shortly after his return. Much of this was recorded in a Diary written by another soldier from Woodbury.

A tent mate of Thomas Stanclift kept a Diary of the day to day activities of his tour of duty. It was chronicled in the Diary of Jonathan Twiss Jr.(45), a Revolutionary War Drummer from Woodbury, CT. Following are excerpts from the Diary in Jonathan's own words-

                                   "An A Jurnal from Bethlem to Boston~

"On Fryday ye 11th of August AD 1775

I Marcht from home to Bethlem

Meating house Where ye Rev Dtr

Belomy Preached a Sarmont to

our Company....


Thursday August 17th We mar

cth to New London and arived thare

a 2 of ye Oclock in ye after noon whe

re we had a diner Prepared upon

ye Cuntryes Cost at Capt duglases....


Saterday August ye 19th We Rote

oure first Leters and Sent them by

the Carters....


Wensday August ye 30th this Morning

it Was Very Rainey We heard Channon

all ye forenoon and about 2 of

the Oclock we had News that Capt

Wales Capt of ye Roes Man of War

Was fiering upon Stoneingtown

and had orders to march Eme

diately one half us to ye asistan

ce of Stoneingtown....

....aboute 350 of us in Number and we

heard ye Cannon Play all ye Way~~~


Sunday October ye 1st this Morning

We Marcht to Cambridge from thar

to Winter Hill

and In Campt att ye fort

thereof in Site of Boston Within a m

ile and a half of Bunker Hill....


Sunday November ye 5th had ano

thar Serment Preacth to us by Mr

Learned Chaplin to general Puts Rige

ment and a bout too of ye Oclock

ye Enemy began to fier for Pounder

Plat and Within a boute 20 Minits

they fierd a bout 200 cannon~~

Mr Elezar Dudley Came to Camp~~


Munday November ye 6th Went in

the Morning Withe Dudly and let

him have a plane Site of bunker

Hill and boston through a Spy

glass Saw ye Regulars Land a bout

200d Sheap Witch the dogs had Stole

they Rejoyset so mutch a bout it that

they fiered 15 Cannon~~~

I Rote a Leter to my wife and

Sent to hur bunkers hill fite

displayed by the press and Pissur

and Verces Enclosed in the Leter

and one to my father by the

han of Mr Dudley~~~~~~~


Thursday November ye 16th

Was Coneticut Thanksgiving

it Was Extreme Cold~~~~~


Munday December ye 4th nothing

but talk of going home~~~~~~


Friday December ye 8th

....nothing more

to day unly we had Expectasions

of being Dismised to Morough"

Thomas died intestate and his widow, Martha Stanclift and Benjamin Spees were appointed on Oct. 1, 1776 as Executors on his Estate. The inventory revealed that the assets were insufficient to pay all debts and Martha was awarded "those things necessary to keep house". The house by the highway was valued then at only �3-10-00 and was probably sold to satisfy the creditors(46). His widow, Martha [Prindle] Stanclift, married again Dec. 30, 1785(47) as 2nd wife, Eber/Ebenezer5 Griswold (John4, Benjamin3, John2, Edward1). Martha [Prindle] Stancliff Griswold died June 29, 1832 AE 76(48).

See Appendix A: PRINDLE

+ 36-11. JAMES STANCLIFT JR born East Middletown, CT Sept 12, 1756, died after 1830 possibly in Erie County, PA, married East Haven, CT Mar. 27, 1777 MARY RUSSELL. Lived Scipio Cayuga County, NY.

37-12. SARAH STANCLIFT born Simsbury, CT May 3, 1759(49), married in South Britain, CT, Dec. 7, 1786 JONATHAN GRIFFEN(50) prob. son of Charles and Catherine [Wisebury] Griffen of Stratford, CT born Dec. 30, 1753. Jonathan was of Oxford, CT, said to have moved to Vermont and probably the same man found in the 1790 Census living Ballston Spa, Saratoga County, NY. A Jonathan Griffen's wife died in Oxford in 1789, and this may have been Sarah. Also living Ballston this date was a man named Alexander Stancliff.

38-13. WILLIAM STANCLIFT born Simsbury, CT April 4, 1761(51), died probably in Dec. 1777(52) while a prisoner of the British forces in New York. William enlisted or was drafted into the Army for a period of three years on May 19, 1777(53). This was shortly after William's 16th birthday. He was inducted into the Service on May 23, 1777 by Lt Elihu Trowbridge acting for Captain Samuel Granger(54). Capt. Granger's Company was part of the 2nd Connecticut Regiment of Foot, commanded by Col. Charles Webb. The Regiment joined the forces of General Isreal Putnam at Peekskill, Westchester County, NY. General George Washington regarded Peekskill as a strategically important area. It was possible that the British forces to the south would attempt to join the forces of General Burgoyne advancing down the Hudson River from Canada. The encampment at Peekskill provided a natural position of advantage to forestall that eventuality and to provide access to the southern states. After General Benedict Arnold refused the post, the task of defending the Peekskill area fell to General Putnam(55) and his Connecticut troops. On June 30, 1777 William was taken prisoner by the British. The nature of the encounter is not specified, but at least 24 men from the 2nd Regiment were taken prisoner between June 30 and July 2, 1777. William was listed on the Company Muster Roll and the Company Pay Roll as "a prisoner in New York". The final Muster Roll was dated Dec. 24, 1777.

William's family had already lost sons, George and Thomas, and it must have been difficult to see such a young man march off to War. William died in the custody of the British. Other men in William's regiment died aboard a British prison ship, and perhaps this was the fate of William also. William's Letter of Administration filed Jan. 9, 1779(56) appointed Benjamin Spees and Capt. Elijah Hinman, both of Woodbury, as Executors(57). Benjamin Spees was a Justice of the Peace in Southbury, CT, but he was also the Lieutenant in Elijah Hinman's 6th Company of the Thirteenth Regiment of Connecticut Militia in 1776. The only assets a sixteen year old boy would have had would have been the pay owed to him by the Army. Perhaps because of their familiarity with Army procedure, the former officers of the Woodbury Militia were asked to act as Administrators on William's estate.

+ 39-14. STANBROUGH PERIGRINE STANCLIFT born Simsbury, CT Dec. 18, 1762, died McArthur, Elk Township, Athens County, OH July 1820, married Simsbury, CT at "Hopmeadow" by the Rev. Roger Viets May 5, 1784 his first cousin, SIBBELL DAVIS.

+ 40-15. LEWIS STANCLIFT born about 1764 while family was living South Britain and early records between 1764 and 1769 do not exist. There is no absolute proof that this child belongs in this family, for as with sister, Olive, there is no birth record. The family of James Stanclift was the only family named Stancliff in this area. He was given the name Lewis, the maiden name of Mary [Lewis] Stanclift. For these reasons Lewis has been placed in this family. He married in the Oxford Society, a member of the same Griffen family as his sister, Sarah Stanclift. He married Oxford, CT Nov. 30, 1784 MABEL GRIFFEN.

It is also possible that this is the "Alexander Stancliff" in the 1790 Ballston, Albany County, NY census record, accompanied by a male child under 16 years of age. The name Alexander Stanclift has never appeared in any other known early records in America or in England.

41-16. OLIVE STANCLIFT born 1767 while family was living Southbury and early records do not exist, died Dec. 7, 1857(58) at Scipio, Cayuga County, NY, married probably in Scipio as second wife to WILLIAM BARBER who died Ledyard, Cayuga County, NY February 2, 1844(59). Proof of her identity was established when she swore out a deposition on Feb. 11, 1837 for her sister, Mary [Stanclift] Scott, who had applied for a widow's pension based upon the service of husband, William Scott(60). Olive attested to her relationship to sister, Mary [Stanclift] Scott and said she had been present at their marriage. While there are a number of Barber children in Scipio, NY identified as heirs of William, they were not the children of Olive. Olive may have gone to NY with her brother, James, and others from Southbury, and there met the widower, William Barber. Olive did not once mention any of the Barber children in her will written Feb. 5, 1852. She appointed Truman Wakely and John Anthony Jr as Executors, nephew John Scott of Pennsylvania was the main beneficiary, and her sister Hannah [Stanclift] Lewis of Connecticut was also named as an heir to her Estate. Her sister preceded her in death, leaving as her heir a son, Marcus Lewis of Norfolk, CT. John Scott was living 1858 in Ledyard, Cayuga County, NY. Olive's will was not proved until April of 1858 and her Real Estate including her dwelling house was sold at auction on Sept. 24, 1858. The land consisted of two parcels of land in Ledyard part of Lot 134 of the east Cayuga Reservation, one containing three acres and the other four acres. Olive must have been ailing during the last years of her life as there was an accounting of debts for nursing care for a three year period preceding her death.

See Appendix A: BARBER

+ 42-17. HANNAH STANCLIFT baptized South Britain, CT May 28, 1769, died Norfolk, CT 1856, married 1. Oxford Society Sept. 30, 1790 GIDEON H. BOOTH who died May 14, 1803, married 2. as third wife Jan. 1805 EZEKIEL LEWIS of South Britain.

See Appendix A: WOOD I and LEWIS II

Go to:    Home Page



1. .Middletown Vital Records, Land Book II, page 19.

2. .Middletown First Congregational Church, Vol. 1, page 36.

3. .Southbury taken from Woodbury in 1787, incorporated and became part of New Haven County. South Britain became a separate Ecclesiastical Society in 1766, now is a Village in Southbury.

4. .SOUTH BRITAIN SKETCHES AND RECORDS by W. C. Sharpe, Church Records contained on page 17.

5. .Middletown Vital Records Vol.1 page 98, erroneously labeled in the Connecticut Barbour Records as "Standish".

6. .Gravestone located Old Quarry Cemetery, Portland, CT.

7. .Simsbury Vital Records, Town Acts Vol. 4, page 180. Both James and Mary specified as being "of Middletown" at the time of marriage.

8. .They lived in the area called Machimoodus, now called Moodus.

9. .Colchester Vital Records, Land Book 1, page 446.

10. .SOUTH BRITAIN SKETCHES AND RECORDS by W. C. Sharpe, Church Records contained on page 17.

11. .SIMSBURY REMONSTRANCE, 1762, Connecticut Archives Series II, Militia Papers Vol. 3, Document 491.

12. .Petitions by individuals or groups of individuals to obtain grants from the Government or to obtain the permission of the Government for a particular action were called Memorials.

13. .Weir- a brushwood or stake fence built in a stream, channel, etc., for catching fish.

14. .The Farmington River

15. .Connecticut Archives, Industry Vol.I, Document 267.

16. .HISTORY OF NEW HAVEN COUNTY edited by J. L. Rockey 1892, Vol. 2, page 775.

17. .SOUTH BRITAIN SKETCHES AND RECORDS, by W. C. Sharpe, page 11.

18. .Connecticut Archives Series I, Ecclesiastical Vol.XIII, Documents 200, 201

19. .HISTORY OF ANCIENT WOODBURY CONNECTICUT by William Cothern, published 1854, reprint edition 1977, page 232.

20. .SOUTHBURY 1673-1973, published by the Southbury Tercentennial Committee 1973, page 43.



23. .HISTORY OF ANCIENT WOODBURY by William Cothern, Reprint Edition 1977, page 779

24. .A photo copy of the list was supplied to Donald Lines Jacobus and published in THE AMERICAN GENEALOGIST Vol. 19, No. 2, 1942. The list was made by Lt. Eleazur Mitchell who was commissioned Lt. May 1771, and Capt. in Oct. 1772 of a Company of Militia in the South Britain Society.


26. .All births registered in Middletown Vital Records Vol.1, page 98, these births listed in the Connecticut Barbour Records under "Standish".

27. .Listed in Vital Records and the Barbour records incorrectly as the daughter of James and Abigail [Bevins] Stanclift.

28. .East Middletown Congregational Church, Vol.5, page 13.

29. .Middletown Vital Records Vol.1, p.98. Listed erroneously under "Standish".

30. .Middletown Vital Records Vol.1, page 98. Listed erroneously under Standish.

31. .East Middletown Congregational Church, Vol. 5, page 14.

32. .Thomas Murphy married at Middletown, CT Jan. 20, 1772 Lydia TAYLOR according to Middletown First Church Record, Book 1 page 4. Lydia Murphy, wife of Thomas Murphy, sold rights to the John Wood land that she had received by entailment, being a daughter of Martha Wood.

33. .Chatham Land Records, Vol.8, page 278.

34. .East Middletown Congregational Church, Vol.5, page 29.

35. .None of the children of James and Mary Lewis were listed in Middletown Records. Even the first four children who were born in Middletown, CT were registered in the Simsbury Vital Records, Town Acts Vol. 4, page 183, and their birthplace specifically named as Middletown, CT. The births are also found in SIMSBURY RECORDS OF THE REV. ROGER VEITS, pages 194-195.

36. .Simsbury Vital Records, Town Acts Vol. 4, page 183.

37. .East Middletown Congregational Church Records, Vol. 5, page 32.

38. .SOUTH BRITAIN SKETCHES AND RECORDS, by W.C. Sharpe, Deaths in South Britain, page 533.

39. .SOUTH BRITAIN SKETCHES AND RECORDS by W. C. Sharpe 1898, South Britain Church Records, page 19.

40. .HISTORY OF STONINGTON AND GENEALOGIES, by Richard A. Wheeler, page 38-39

41. .THE AMERICAN WAR OF INDEPENDENCE 1775-1783, a Commemorative Exhibition Organized by the Map Library and Department of Manuscripts of the British Library Division, Maps on Display at the British Museum, London, England. Winter Hill was north west of Bunker Hill on the Mystic River and was the site of General Isreal Putnam's headquarters according to the British map.

42. .Woodbury Land Records, Vol. 20, page 183.


44. .The gravestone cut by his father indicates cause of death was due to his service.

45. .Diary of Jonathan Twiss found in the Archives department of the Connecticut State Library

46. .Litchfield County Probate Records Vol. 7, page 157.

47. .THE GRISWOLD FAMILY compiled by Glenn E. Griswold, page 68.

48. .THE GRISWOLD FAMILY compiled by Glenn E. Griswold, page 69.

49. .Simsbury Vital Records Vol. TM 4, page 183.

50. .SOUTH BRITAIN SKETCHES AND RECORDS by W. C. Sharpe 1898, South Britain Church Records, page 20.

51. .Simsbury Vital Records Vol. Town Acts Vol. 4, page 183.

52. .Military Records, National Archives. The last Company Muster Role in William's Military Record was dated Dec. 24, 1777.

53. .During the first two years of the War men enlisted for "expeditions" or specific maneuvers. According to HISTORY OF ANCIENT WOODBURY, by William Cothren, page 188 "Early in 1777, enlistments for three years, or during the war were called for, and the quota for each town established...."

54. .Military Records, Document 545b at the Connecticut Archives, Connecticut State Library.

55. .HISTORY OF WESTCHESTER COUNTY NEW YORK, by Frederic Shonard and W. W. Spooner, 1900, page 428

56. .Litchfield County, Connecticut Probate Records, Woodbury District, Probate Record #4197.

57. .LISTS AND RETURNS OF CONNECTICUT MEN IN THE REVOLUTION, Hartford 1909, page 107 indicates William was in Captain Elijah Hinman's Company of Col. Increase Moseley's Regiment of the 4th Brigade of Militia of the Connecticut Line. This is contradicted by other records which placed him in Granger's Company.

58. .Cayuga County Probate Records, Letter of Administration states death date as December 7, 1857.

59. .Cayuga County New York Probate Records, Will of William Barber, written Oct. 10, 1842, names his children as heirs, and gave to Olive "her dower rights" and specifically asks that any disagreement that might ensue between his son/children and his widow, Olive, be settled by arbitration and not in Court. His exact death date cited in the Letter of Administration.

60. .National Archives Service Records of William Scott.

Go to:    Home Page