George Sanford 'Sant' Scroggin
M, #4233, (1870 - 1962)
- Reference: [4233:K] (SP:G306) (HS:G46)
- Birth*: 13 May 1870, West of, Lake Fork, Logan Co, IL.
- (Parents, son of Thomas Jefferson Scroggin (F190) & Mary (--?--)).
- Marriage*: 17 Sep 1895, Elizabeth R. Wyland, Lincoln, Logan Co, IL, Children Ross p. 144.1,2
- Death*: Oct 1962.
- Death: 2 Apr 1959, St. Clara's Hospital, Lincoln, Logan Co, IL, 7:25 pm.
- Burial*: 5 Apr 1959, Mount Pulaski Cemetery, Mount Pulaski, Logan Co, IL.
- Death of father: 4 Feb 1895, Thomas Jefferson Scroggin (F190).
- Birth of daughter: Oct 1896, Eva Scroggin (H455), IL.3
- Birth of daughter: Oct 1898, Gertrude Scroggin (H456), IL.3
- Birth of son: 15 Jun 1901, George L. Scroggin (H457), Becker Co, MN, IF SS data is for the correct George.3,2,4,5,6
- Birth of son: Ca. 1904, Carl Franklin Scroggin G464, MN.3,2,6
- Birth of daughter: Ca. 1908, Violet P. Scroggin (H459), IL.3
- Birth of son: 11 May 1910, Clell S. Scroggin, IL, IF SS data is for the correct Clell.7,8,4,6
- Birth of daughter: 9 Mar 1914, Elverda Scroggin, Riverton, Sangamon Co, IL, Fa: IL, Mo: IN.4,9,6,10
- Father of Bride: George Sanford 'Sant' Scroggin, as the father of the bride, attended the wedding of Eva Scroggin (H455) and Thomas McCurry 23 Jun 1918 Lincoln, Logan Co, IL.
- Census1920*: George Sanford 'Sant' Scroggin, Clear Lake Twp, Riverton Village, Sangamon Co, IL
- Census1930 (Father): In the household of George L. Scroggin (H457), 2909 Keys Ave, Springfield, Sangamon Co, IL.6
- Death of son: 11 Mar 1933, Carl Franklin Scroggin G464, Springfield, Sangamon Co, IL, Murdered.12
- Father of Bride: George Sanford 'Sant' Scroggin, as the father of the bride, attended the wedding of Elverda Scroggin and Kenneth Leo Burkhardt 1935.9
- Obituary*: Of George Sanford 'Sant' Scroggin, 9 Apr 1959, Mount Pulaski Times-News, Mount Pulaski, Logan Co, IL, George S. Scroggin.
- Death of wife: 1960, Elizabeth R. Wyland.1
- Obituary (Father): Of Elverda Scroggin, 12 Aug 2003, State Journal-Register, Springfield, Sangamon Co, IL, "Elverda Scroggin."9,13
- Name Variation: George Samuel Scroggin (G306), 4233.
- Name Variation: Sant Scroggin.
- Name-HS: G46.
Children of George Sanford 'Sant' Scroggin & Elizabeth R. Wyland
- Eva Scroggin (H455)+ (Oct 1896 - 1 Mar 1989)
- Gertrude Scroggin (H456) (Oct 1898 - )
- George L. Scroggin (H457)+ 6 (15 Jun 1901 - Nov 1973)
- Carl Franklin Scroggin G464+ 3,2 (ca. 1904 - 11 Mar 1933)
- Violet P. Scroggin (H459) 3 (ca. 1908 - )
- Clell S. Scroggin 7,8,6 (11 May 1910 - 10 Mar 1999)
- Elverda Scroggin+ 11 (9 Mar 1914 - 6 Aug 2003)
- Relationship: Great-grandnephew of Barton Scroggins (D23)
- Last Edited: 28 May 2013
- [S11] Shirley Brodersen Ross (Shirley Louise Brodersen), Humphrey Scroggin, p.144.
- [S30] William G. Scroggins, George Scrogin (A1), URL: http://users.erols.com/scroggjm/scrogginsdata/wgs/
- [S11] Shirley Brodersen Ross (Shirley Louise Brodersen), Humphrey Scroggin, p. 144.
- [S44] Social Security Death Index (Ancestry.com), URL: http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/vital/ssdi/main.htm,.
- [S50] Minnesota Historical Society, Birth Certificates Index [30 Dec 2004]
Date of Birth: 06/15/1901
County of Birth: Becker
Mother Maiden Name: Wyland.
- [S1428] 1930 Federal Census, National Archives, T-626, Roll 560, ED 84-87, Sheet 5A, (7 Apr 1930)
HH & Family No.: 80" "76,
Head: George L. Scroggin (H457)Scroggin, George L., Head, m,w,28,m,21, MN, IL, IN, Decorator, Contractor
-----, Ida, Wife-H, f,w,27,m,20, PA, PA, PA
-----, Elizabeth D., Daughter, f,w,4,s, PA, MN, PA
-----, George S., Father, m,w,60,m,25, IL, IL, VA, C Laborer
-----, Elizabeth, Mother, f,w,54,m,21, IN, IN, IN
-----, Clell, Brother, m,w,20,s, IL, IL, IN, Farmer, Farm
-----, Elverda, Sister-in-law, f,w,16,s, IL, IL, IN
-----, Carl, Brother, m,w,25,s, MN, IL, IN, Decorator, Contractor.
- [S11] Shirley Brodersen Ross (Shirley Louise Brodersen), Humphrey Scroggin, P. 144 NOT listed.
- [S30] William G. Scroggins, George Scrogin (A1), URL: http://users.erols.com/scroggjm/scrogginsdata/wgs/, NOT listed with family.
- [S60] E-mail: From: e-mail address (King Butler)
Subject: Obituary Daily Times V9No329
To: e-mail address
Obituary Daily Times v9 #329
LAST NAME, First Name (MAIDEN); Age; Place of Death; Newspaper Name; Newspaper date; tagname
BURKHARDT, Elverda (SCROGGIN); 89; Riverton IL>Florissant MO; State J-R (IL); 2003-8-12; blj.
- [S1666] State Journall
, Elverda Burkhardt, 12 Aug 2003
- [S1430] 1920 Federal Census, National Archives, T-625, Roll 811, ED 181, Sheet 11A, (9 Jan 1920)
Dwelling, 204, Family, 210, Head: George Sanford 'Sant' ScrogginScroggins, George S., Head, m,w,49,m, IL, IL, VA
-----, Elizabeth, Wife, f,w,44,s, IN, IN, IN
-----, Carl F., Son, m,w,15,s, MN, IL, IN
-----, Violet P., Daughter, f,w,12, s, IL, IL, IN
-----, Clell S., Son, m,w,9,s, IL, IL, IN
-----, Alberta, Daughter, f,w,5,s, IL, IL, IN.
- [S2262] Find A Grave, URL: http://www.findagrave.com, Carl Franklin Scroggin, 24 Oct 2010Carl Franklin Scroggin
Birth: 1905, USA
Death: Mar. 11, 1933
My 3rd cousin 4 times removed.
Carl Scroggin Killed Saturday
The murder of Carl F. Scroggin, 28, of 2004 Keys Avenue, Springfield, Illinois, whose body was found about 8 o'clock Saturday morning, March 11, in a cornfield near Twentieth Street and Watch Avenue, in the northeast part of Springfield, remained a mystery Saturday night. He was shot through the back near the left shoulder. At first it was believed that Mr. Scroggin had been shot while picking up coal along the railroad track. The bullet removed from the body, however, appeared to be a .25 caliber automatic bullet. It had a steel jacket and blunt nose. State's Attorney Alfred H. Greening, of Sangamon county, called in several railroad detectives Saturday night for questioning, but found that none of them used a pistol of such small caliber. Arthur Hall, Alton railroad special agent, said that none of his men were stationed in the locality of the shooting. The tracks near where Scroggin's body was found are used by the Baltimore & Ohio and Alton railroad and the Illinois Terminal System. Members of the family said that Mr. Scroggin left his home between 5:30 and 6 o'clock Saturday morning, saying that he was "going after a chunk of coal." Police said they found several chunks of coal laying along the tracks. Scroggin had been out of work all winter and there was no fuel in the house, the family stated. When Carl failed to return home in a reasonable length of time, his family became alarmed and began a search for him. The body was found in a cornfield about 200 feet from the railroad tracks by Charles Boyer. The inquest into the death of Carl F. Scroggin was held in Springfield at 10 o'clock by Coroner J. P. Knox. Arthur Jones, 1055 North Sixth Street, a guard at the Sangamon mine, told police Saturday night that he fired to frighten three men who
boarded a car of coal which he was riding in the vicinity Saturday morning. He fired twice to frighten the men, he said, then stumbled and fell, firing a third shot as he fell. He said the three men ran away, two in one direction, and one in another. He said he did not know he had hit anyone, but decided to report to police when he read newspaper accounts of the finding of Scroggin's body in the vicinity.
Carl F. Scroggin was a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Scroggin, who lived in Lake Fork vicinity, but several years ago moved to Springfield. During the past year, the parents came to Mount Pulaski and are living in the old Holden property on North Marion Street.
To the old friends and relatives, George Scroggin is known as "Sant." Besides his parents, decedent is survived by his wife, Edna, a daughter, Clara, two brothers, Clell and George Scroggin Jr.; and four sisters, Miss Alberta Scroggin, Mrs. Gertrude McHenry, Mrs. Violet Bond, and Mrs. Eva McCurry. Funeral services were held at the Stuart Street Christian Church in Springfield at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, March 14, conducted by Rev. A. O. Hargis, and interment was made in Oak Ridge Cemetery.
George Sanford Scroggin (1870 - 1959)
Elizabeth Roselle Wyland (1875 - 1960)
Clara P. Scroggin Fry (1931 - 2013)*
Oak Ridge Cemetery
Created by: Ms Koch
Record added: Oct 24, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 60578958.
- [S1666] State Journall
, Elverda Burkhardt, 12 Aug 2003
http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-search/we/InfoWebState Journal-Register, The (Springfield, IL)
August 12, 2003
Deceased Name: Elverda Burkhardt
FLORISSANT, Mo. - Elverda Scroggin Burkhardt, 89, of Florissant, formerly of Springfield, died Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2003.
She was born March 9, 1914, in Riverton, the daughter of George S. and Elizabeth Scroggin. She married Kenneth Leo Burkhardt in 1935.
Mrs. Burkhardt and her husband operated Kiddie Land for several years.
Survivors: two daughters, Carolyn Whalen and Joyce Kraut; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Private memorial services: 1 p.m. today, Camp Butler National Cemetery.
Buckholz Mortuary in Florissant is in charge of arrangements.
Daily / Dye / Keltner / Paoni / Sheldon / Smith / Spann / Tumulty
All content is (c) Copyright 2003 The State Journal-Register, a division of Copley Press, Inc. All rights reserved. No material may be reproduced electronically or in print without written permission.
Record Number: 0000578749.