~ Deuteronomy 33:17
Andrew Smith IV
"The will of the first Andrew Smith was dated January 16, 1703, and is not recorded, but is on file with the inventory of his estate, in the office of the Secretary of State at Trenton. He resided within the boundaries of old Hopewell township in the vicinity of the present site of the Hospital for the Insane now in Ewing township. In his will, which was proved March 7, 1703, he leaves a legacy to his son Andrew Smith, who married Sarah, daughter of the first Jonathan Stout of Hopewell, and soon after the death of his father moved to the northern part of the township, and settled on the farm adjoining the Hopewell poor farm, now owned by Oliver G. Woodward.
The will also mentions daughters as follows: Sarah, wife of John Parke; Mary, wife of William Schooley, and Elizabeth Smith; also mentions John Fidler, servant, who also came to the vicinity of Harbourton and purchased a farm near Andrew Smith Jr. He appoints his son Thomas Smith, and daughter Elizabeth, executor and executrix, and signed his name in presence of William Hixson, Caleb Wheatley and Joshua Ward, all of whom resided in the vicinity of the falls at that time. The executors bond was signed by Thomas Smith, George Willis and Emanuel Smith.
The last named was the brother of Samuel, the author of "Smith's History of New Jersey," published in 1765, and was doubtless a nephew of Andrew; and George Willis was the father-in-law of Emanuel. The bond was witnessed by Ralph Hunt and Joshua Anderson, and the appraisers were Robert Pearson, Thos. Tindall, and Roger Parke, the father of John Parke who married Sarah Smith
mentioned in the will.
All these parties resided at or near the falls in 1703, but several of them came to northern Hopewell..."