260-268 At the west end of the north Aisle is a large stone it is a Roman milestone the lettering is very worn and hard to decipher, but it bears the name of Marcus Cassianus Postumas, Emperor of Gaul A.D. this is the only stone in Britain bearing the name of this emperor. Various fragments will be found on the sill of the north-west window including some Roman pottery. (There is no mention of how this got here.)
500-According to tradition the first church was founded here by St Breaca. The traditional site of Breaca's first settlement, however is Tregonning hill, and the exact date of the founding ofthe first church on the site is unknown.
St Germoe, a near relative of St Breaca founded the church at Germoe about 520 A.D.
Celtic Cross- Near the south porch this is all that is left of what was probably originally a preaching cross, and marked the site of St Breaca's first settlement. This cross is made of sand stone not a material found in this district.
Circular Churchyard- there appears to be a curve in the wall. It is thought that this may mean that this site is very ancient and has been used for burial long before the Christian era.
1100-50 There was an Norman church of which only a few carved stones remain.
1460-The Sanctuary rebuilt it projects a few feet beyond the end of the chapels either side, and is probably part of an extension made some fifty or sixty years before. If this is so the eastern extremity is the oldest existing part of the present church.
1466-26th December Church dedicated to St Breaca.
1470-app. the wall paintings in the North Aisle were executed. Working west to east the subjects are as follows.
1. St Christopher carrying the Christ Child.
2. Christ of the Trades.
3. St Hilery (in splay of window).
4. St Corentine (a mythical Cornish Bishop).
5. Either St Ambrose or St Gregory (in splay of window).
The Cornish barrel roof in both the side aisles dates from about this period.
1500-app The Holy Water Stoop may have come from an earlier church.
In the Godolphin Chapel on the sill of the window behind the alter cross there is a carved stone bearing the inscription of the crucifixion with figures of the Virgin Mary and St John on either side this probably dates from the fourteenth century.
1600-The main door is worthy of note. It is an arch framed in a square, as are all the doorways in this church, and is a good example of 15th century work. Note the carvings in the corners of the square. The door itself is ancient and is of oak, studded with iron nails.
1756-By the southern entrance to the churchyard two seats are built in the wall. The initials H.M, R.S, and S.M and the date may be discerned.
1891-The rood screen and a part for the walls and arches the Chancel.
The Reredos unfortunately blocks the entire east window. The subject being the Adoration of the Magi, and the figures were carved in Belgium.
The south porch-notice the beautiful outer arch, and the unusual carving on the jambs of this arch.
The South Transept- In the eastern window will be seen some fragments of mediaeval glass. Including the head of St Veronica, three other heads and a crown of thorns.
The cupboard beneath the board bearing the letter of thanks from Charles I to the people of Cornwall for their support during the Civil War was made up of fragments of old pews and is worth studying.
The Godolphin Chapel-At the eastern end of the south aisle. Here you can find helmets with the Dolphin Crest, and a copy of the coffin plate of Margaret Godolphin who lies in this church, telling us she wishes to rest at Breage the cradle of her husband's race. Here also lie the remains of Sydney Godolphin Treasurer to Queen Anne and a great friend of Churchill the first Duke of Marlborough. Godolphins son Francis married Henrietta Churchill and their daughter, Mary, married the 4th Duke of Leeds.
The Organ Built by Father Henry Willis for Thomas Robins Bolitho at Trengwainton Penzance where it was used for daily worship, and to accompany internationally known singers at house parties. After his death it was presented to Truro Cathedral, where it remained until purchased by Breage Parish Council in 1967 it was restored and rebuilt by Hele & Co of Plymouth.
At the east end of the north aisle just below the war memorial may be seen a small curved stone. This is obviously Norman and probably belonged to the Norman church.
To Visit St Breage.
Map Ref. OS grid square SW6128
Service Sunday 11.15 pm Sung Eucharist (Rite A)
Open for visitors 9.30 am to 4.00 pm Daily.
Please remember this is a place of worship and respect for the property and its contents would be appreciated, silence is expected if there are people engaged in prayer.
Donations for the upkeep of the building can be left in the box provided.