North Hill stands on the northern side of the river Lynher about 7 miles from Launceston. Around the church lies the village and ancient woods and grounds of the Trebartha Estate. On the south of the river rise the boulder capped Hawks Tor and Kilmar where tradition tells us the ancient Druids worshipped.
The exact date of the church as it now stands is unknown, but it is believed to be over 600 years old.
To the Celtic Saint Torney (sometimes spelt Terney or in the latin form Terninus) Nothing is known about this saint, w hose Holy Well is situated nearby the river, except that he is also remembered at St Erney, near St Germans.
Norman Font is made of freestone standing on a granite base.
1260-The first record of an incumbent.
There was a Priory in the parish at Battens, the monks of which may of served the church until the first rector was instituted.
The Chancel which is built of rubble stone and not of granite, as is the rest of the church, may have been the site of the earlier building.
Within the restoration in 1868 on the north side was found a arch of this period beneath which is a tomb or possibly an Easter Sepulchre.(this could be dated around 1330.)
Latter part 15th Century.
Most of the current building is a fine example of this period including the wagon roofs, with the exception that much of the window tracery was altered at alter date.
1606-An elaborately carved slate tomb in memory of Thomas Vincent (of Batten) Gentleman and Jane his Wife, by whom he had issue 8 sonnes and 7 daughters. in the slab of the monument that rests against the wall Death is pictured holding a scythe and a dart. Below him kneels Thomas Vincent and his wife with their sons and daughters behind them. Two of the children have skulls above them, indicating they were dead when the monument was erected.
1646-Is on the tombstone in the porch of Mary Spoure who died this year.
1653-On the east wall is a coloured slate commemorating Richard Spoure who died as a child.
1668-Beside the monument to Richard Spoure is a very fine elaborate monument to Henry Spoure, only son of Edmund Spoure (brother of the Richard Spoure above). The tablet is flanked by a man and women under shell niches, and by columns with composite capitals supporting the emblature and a splendid heraldic achievement.
1753-Is the date of the sundial on the wall of the south porch.
The family pews of the Squires of Trembartha are situated at the east end of the South Aisle.