St Nivet is not known to be male or female, but it has been stated that she was one of the daughters of the welsh St Brychan.
Lanivet was an important place during Celtic times and the dark ages. There are two crosses in the Churchyard. An early 10th century Cornish Wheel cross and a thirteenth century four holed cross to the west. The parish has ten crosses which is a large number. Found near the south porch is a pillar stone of the fifth or sixth century with inscriptions it can be found inside the church.
Nothing is known of the Celtic or Norman churches on this site, and the Norman capital in the chancel came from Bodmin Priory.
Lanivet was the site if a Celtic monastery of importance, many ancient trackways and roads remain as it has the distinction of being the geographical centre of Cornwall.
The Giffard family were free tenants of the manor at Lanivet which included the church town, Lamorrick adjoining Clan, and the site of what was popularly known as St Bennet's Abbey and belonged to Bodmin Priory. As the resident lords of the manor the Giffards had the land and the money to endow St Bennet's chapel. It was never an abbey but can be related to Bennets as a christian name at the time.
1318- Bishop Stapeldon of Exeter dedicated the high altar of Lanivet and four other alters in the church.
1388- The High Altar was re-dedicated by Bishop Grandisson's suffragan
15th Century- the current church was built.
1411-17th June Alfred Giffard, Rector of Lanivet had the bishops license to celebrate divine service at St Bennet's chapel.
1865- Lanivet Church was restored by James Piers St Aubyn and the older heraldic glass from the east end of the south aisle was removed to St Bennets.