Photo By Lynn Franklin
You can learn more about the history of this synagogue at History of Jewish
Demopolis. The original temple was a wooden building constructed in the Moorish style in 1893. A reduced size version was built within the structure of the
original temple in 1958 to accommodate a smaller congregation. This "new" temple, pictured above, is the building still standing at 406 North Main
Street in Demopolis today.
Shown below are two old postcard photos of the original temple. In 1989,
the "new" temple, built on the same spot, was sold to the Trinity Episcopal church for $10. Lynn Franklin's photos of the surviving
house of worship, now an Episcopalian church, are shown below the postcard photos:
The Original Synagogue:
The New Synagogue:
Photos by Lynn Franklin
Return to Selected Southern Jewish Databases.
Copyright © 2012 Lynn Ann Franklin. All Rights Reserved. Prior written permission is required from Lynn Ann Franklin before
this material can be printed or otherwise copied, displayed or distributed
in any form. This
is a FREE genealogy site sponsored through RootsWeb and can be reached directly
at Selected Southern Jewish Databases (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ssjdb/index.html).