I've got a brick wall and hope that someone can help me with this...
I am looking for the parents of Aggy [Agnet] Perkins who was born ca. 1837
in Morgan Co., KY [was later Magoffin Co., KY]. Her father was from
Tennessee and her mother from South Carolina, both names unknown.
Someone recently told me that her father's name may have been "Jock"
Perkins...but I have not been able to find any records of this anywhere.
What makes this even harder is the fact that her last name "may" not have
been Perkins but Layne [this info came from one of her son's death
certificates], yet she was never married "officially". How did she
obtain the name Perkins? Or was she a Perkins?
Strong family lore also suggests that she was at least half, if not full,
Aggy had the following children:
1) Henry Clay Perkins, b. December 1843, Morgan Co., KY; d. July 25, 1906,
Lawrence Co., KY
2) Milton Perkins, b. Dec. 8, 1845, Lawrence Co. KY; d. August 5, 1912,
Jean, Lawrence Co., KY
3) Isaac, b. 1848, Lawrence Co., KY
4) Isabel, b. 1849/1850
5) Marion Francis Perkins, b. February 27, 1854, Lawrence Co., KY; d. May 9,
1942, Union, Ross Co., OH
6) Zylpha Perkins, b. October 15, 1856
7) Sarah E. , b. February 19, 1860
8) Gen. M. Perkins, b. 1862/1863; d. April 1886, Lawrence Co., KY
Aggy Perkins was listed as "single" in every census I have found her in -
she always was the head of household!
Family grape vine has it that she had been married very early to a Henry
Perkins but I found no trace of a Henry Perkins in any census record. I did
find a court paper in Lawrence Co. where a Henry Perkins bought a tavern in
Louisa, Lawrence Co. KY in the 1830's...but I'm not sure if he relates to
Aggy or not.
She disappears after the 1880 Lawrence Co., KY census...I do not know her
burial place nor place and date of death. She's truly a mystery. Help??
Marlitta H. Perkins email@example.com